Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DigitalRaven posted:

The only appropriate response is "No you're loving not, sunshine."

Lol nuclearmonkee works with manufacturing folks, he's lucky they asked.

Thanatosian posted:

I wouldn't have even told them 15 degrees. I would have told them "no, they can't be tipped at all, lest hard drives start failing."

Good excuse to replace everything with solid state memory, though.

lol like they're going to replace with SSDs.

argh page snipe. Employer paid for 2-day sonicwall course for basic administration, I'm sure it cost like 5K, it's virtual which isn't horrible since I'm at home in boxers really comfy pants (it's loving cold in this lovely apartment), best part about the course so far though? Instructor has 2 cats that are constantly into stuff.

I have never seen a sonicwall nor logged into one, supposedly one of our customers has them and that's why I'm doing this thing, not like it's a big deal anyway since I deal with fortigate stuff all the time and I'm sure it won't be hard to pivot into sonicwall if I ever need to do a thing with them.

I also got a call for a "network engineer" position yesterday from a recruiter, might be a decent (15K) pay bump, we'll see if I get a call back, but there are red flags already so I doubt they're going to want to pay me what I want.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MrBling posted:

Problem: customer is reporting that his "email computer" is no longer receiving mails.

Turns out that his email computer is running Windows 98. After telling him a few times that having a Win98 exposed to internet was a bad idea, we found out that the reason he wasn't getting was simply because the computer had lost the internet connection somehow.
His DSL line was up and his new "internet computer" was online just fine, so I left it there and told him again to get his email account set up on the new computer.

Old farmers are set in their ways I guess.

There's really nothing wrong with having 98 exposed to the internet these days - almost no malware runs on it anymore. :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

fishmech posted:

There's really nothing wrong with having 98 exposed to the internet these days - almost no malware runs on it anymore. :v:

It's all about the 0days now :laffo:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fishmech posted:

Kinda makes me wonder why the cryptolocker types haven't seized on this, because it's probably a safe assumption that any ancient machines still in use today contain years and years worth of data and/or software that isn't properly backed up.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Well, today's the day I migrate a full network stack from a wall-mounted 12U rack with antiquated poo poo to a full cabinet on the other side of the wall with brand new gear. Re-terminating 24 cables, 30% of which we don't know are long enough to reach the new patch panel. During business hours at a notoriously cranky and bitchy site if things aren't ~*perfect*~

If you don't hear from me in two days, I've quit IT and gotten a job at McDonalds to reduce my stress.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you don't hear from me in two days, I've quit IT and gotten a job at McDonalds to reduce my stress.

Literally "sir, this is a McDonalds drive-thru"!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Well, today's the day I migrate a full network stack from a wall-mounted 12U rack with antiquated poo poo to a full cabinet on the other side of the wall with brand new gear. Re-terminating 24 cables, 30% of which we don't know are long enough to reach the new patch panel. During business hours at a notoriously cranky and bitchy site if things aren't ~*perfect*~

If I never talk to you again, it's been a pleasure. Stay safe, networking ghost!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Lock the door while you're working. Don't come out until it's done.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bigass Moth posted:

Lock the door while you're working. Don't come out until it's done.

The new cabinet is right behind the front desk, mere feet from the most complainy users and customers who act like taking a few extra minutes to process their credit card is a federal crime that should be punished by weaponized whining

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
A ticket came in.

CEO: I've accidentally permanently deleted my entire inbox. Please restore.

:ghost:

I'm sure we have a backup and everything but how does one fumble into that? I'm sure he's got a fair number of e-mails :confused:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in...

... with a job offer working with a large bank. Its not helpdesk so no more fixing printers or crap like that.

Plus the 50% pay raise is nice too!

:yotj:

Ill be supporting one or two internal apps. By supporting them I mean calling the vendor when it breaks.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

blackswordca posted:

... with a job offer working with a large bank. Its not helpdesk so no more fixing printers or crap like that.

Ill be supporting one or two internal apps. By supporting them I mean calling the vendor when it breaks.

Welcome to pod life my friendo

you deserve it!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

wolrah posted:

Kinda makes me wonder why the cryptolocker types haven't seized on this, because it's probably a safe assumption that any ancient machines still in use today contain years and years worth of data and/or software that isn't properly backed up.

Because then they'd have to write their own crypto library instead of using the one built in to modern Windows (I assume).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blackswordca posted:

:toot:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

blackswordca posted:

May the Most High God grant that these vendors have effective, responsive support. And may the wind be at your back. Amen.

Edit: I support one app, and the vendor recently closed a root cause analysis ticket saying "Sometimes stuff that works for years just breaks. It's working now, right? So I'm unable to produce a specific root cause."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

blackswordca posted:

Edmongoons are starting to claw our way out of hell.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

fishmech posted:

That’s actually what I was thinking. Probably safer than XP. As a bonus a lot of them aren’t vulnerable to Meltdown/Spectre.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Welcome to pod life my friendo

you deserve it!
Working at a bank isn't necessarily pod life, but it generally pays well and can be comfortable if you can stand (or aren't exposed to) regulatory bullshit.

Either way it's a nice step up from printers, so congrats!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

The only appropriate response is "No you're loving not, sunshine."

guppy posted:

So you already have evidence that they don't know what they're doing. Do not allow them to do a thing that a. will probably gently caress up your equipment and b. will push the equipment failure down the road so they can't be provably at fault.

Electricians should be far, far away from data. I watched an electrician try to tip fiber once and it was like watching a bear try to knit.

Plant managers in this company have a fair bit of leeway to make those kind of calls if they want to for things at their own plant.

However after getting safety involved they put a hard stop to the whole thing so crisis averted.

Most of my onsite dotted line guys are electricians. They aren't that bad usually if you can keep them away from fiber... which is hard. There are some rogue fusion splicers around and I have at least gotten it so if they emergency repair something, we get someone in after during a shutdown to test out and likely reterminate. On average they are content to not bother with my poo poo as long as it works and they don't have to. They have better things to do and don't want to connect to the UCS or some complex switch configuration unless they absolutely must.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 8, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

Are the apps owned by Fiserv? If so, by "calling the vendor when it breaks," you mean "filing a ticket with a vendor when it breaks, then harping on them for months to loving fix it."

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

blackswordca posted:

I'm jealous

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MF_James posted:

argh page snipe. Employer paid for 2-day sonicwall course for basic administration, I'm sure it cost like 5K, it's virtual which isn't horrible since I'm at home in boxers really comfy pants (it's loving cold in this lovely apartment), best part about the course so far though? Instructor has 2 cats that are constantly into stuff.

I’m in the midst of an employer-paid virtual course on Avaya IP Office, and their setup is pretty bad. Lots of minor annoyances like lab exercise instructions written for an earlier version of the software.

The whole thing is awful mostly because it’s booooring if you are already familiar with the material but I can imagine it being baffling and unhelpful if you weren’t.

It’s 5 days of listening to an instructor read PowerPoint slides nearly verbatim and doing labs in a remote desktop. I figured out the first day I could work ahead in the labs so I’ve basically got them all done now.

Highlight so far was when a guy from Alaska got super pissed at not being able to connect to the remote desktop and started yelling borderline racist stuff at the Mexican instructor about how the “lovely Mexican hardware didn’t fuckin work” and then backing down when the instructor pointed out everything was actually being hosted in the US and basically proved the problem was on his end. :toot:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Entropic posted:

I’m in the midst of an employer-paid virtual course on Avaya IP Office, and their setup is pretty bad. Lots of minor annoyances like lab exercise instructions written for an earlier version of the software.

The whole thing is awful mostly because it’s booooring if you are already familiar with the material but I can imagine it being baffling and unhelpful if you weren’t.

It’s 5 days of listening to an instructor read PowerPoint slides nearly verbatim and doing labs in a remote desktop. I figured out the first day I could work ahead in the labs so I’ve basically got them all done now.

Highlight so far was when a guy from Alaska got super pissed at not being able to connect to the remote desktop and started yelling borderline racist stuff at the Mexican instructor about how the “lovely Mexican hardware didn’t fuckin work” and then backing down when the instructor pointed out everything was actually being hosted in the US and basically proved the problem was on his end. :toot:

oh lord lol, no one on our's is talking just typing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wolrah posted:

This is one big part:

duz posted:

Because then they'd have to write their own crypto library instead of using the one built in to modern Windows (I assume).

But also all these malware authors are just too used to using an NT kernel based system with the other associated changes. This will simply not function on 9x. You'd have to rewrite major sections of your code just to try to get at a tiny amount of Win9x systems sitting around that also have real valuable data on it instead of Grandpa Joe's Farm Records which he prints out and puts in his trusty old file cabinet anyway.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blackswordca posted:

Congrats :yotj: buddy.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

Are the apps owned by Fiserv? If so, by "calling the vendor when it breaks," you mean "filing a ticket with a vendor when it breaks, then harping on them for months to loving fix it."

Too loving real, this was a major part of my job at a bank. Now that I'm on the vendor side integrating with the Fiserv, FIS, JHA trio, I no longer believe Fiserv is the least competent. :downs:

:yotj: though! Banking is actually a pretty decent place to be in technology in my experience.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MF_James posted:

oh lord lol, no one on our's is talking just typing.

Most of us are just typing but every morning there’s someone who forgets to mute their mic and is moving furniture around or arguing with their spouse or something.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

nullfunction posted:

Too loving real, this was a major part of my job at a bank. Now that I'm on the vendor side integrating with the Fiserv, FIS, JHA trio, I no longer believe Fiserv is the least competent. :downs:

:yotj: though! Banking is actually a pretty decent place to be in technology in my experience.

Though fiserv changes monthly as they buy competitor products, absorb 10% support staff and gut the rest. Then that support staff trains fiserv people.

So every new thing they role out has three months - one year where it's total and absolute poo poo, followed by it being ok again.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've often wondered how long it would take Secret Service to track down someone aiming microwave dishes directly at the oval office (including time to realize that it's not just an AC malfunction), and why nobody has attempted it before.

Welcome to "The List."

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Zil posted:

Welcome to "The List."

I have wondered before: do they actually monitor poo poo like this (forum post where someone says something )? They probably do collect the data, but to analyze it ... it's just too much junk to go through.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

:thunk:

An unplanned failure is soooo much better than planned downtime apparently

Think of it less as an "unplanned failure" and more an opportunity to test disaster recovery processes...

... with a live disaster.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

nullfunction posted:

I am amazed that Fiserv isn't the least-competent. We have been discussing whether or not we think their support people are deliberately sabotaging us to get us to switch to managed services.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That’s actually what I was thinking. Probably safer than XP. As a bonus a lot of them aren’t vulnerable to Meltdown/Spectre.
XP partially arrested the spread of Wannacry because instead of passing it on the machines just bsod'd. Being so poo poo as to just die is now a viable defence mechanism for your network. Buffalo theory.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

XP partially arrested the spread of Wannacry because instead of passing it on the machines just bsod'd. Being so poo poo as to just die is now a viable defence mechanism for your network. Buffalo theory.

Petition for having a NAS catastrophically fail on you to be "getting your Buffalo wings".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volguus posted:

I have wondered before: do they actually monitor poo poo like this (forum post where someone says something )? They probably do collect the data, but to analyze it ... it's just too much junk to go through.

SA is actively monitored after multiple incidents of GIP guys leaking national secrets here to get internet cred and lf plotting to kill the president. other forums are generally monitored passively watching for keywords.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RFC2324 posted:

SA is actively monitored after multiple incidents of GIP guys leaking national secrets here to get internet cred and lf plotting to kill the president. other forums are generally monitored passively watching for keywords.
We also did Benghazi :(

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
We are a special lot.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I once went back for seconds at Souplantation. :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz