Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm probably in the minority but I think I'd rather have McAvoy or Sergachev for the next decade or so than have Karlsson for a season and change, even if it gives the team a better shot at a Cup in that small window.

McAvoy is a good young player, but what does he project to long term? A decent #2? I'd take eighteen months of arguably the best defenceman since Lidstrom over that every day.

a false posted:

i would take two decades of mediocrity in exchange for one stanley cup; and hell, i already have, and then some

As a fan of a certified never gonna win one team, I'd be perfectly content with the Canucks being absolute dogshit for the rest of my life if it meant that I saw them win one cup before I died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

McAvoy is a good young player, but what does he project to long term? A decent #2? I'd take eighteen months of arguably the best defenceman since Lidstrom over that every day.

Trying to not be a homer here, but McAvoy is already a #1. Topping out as a decent #2 would be a surprise. The list of defensemen who play more even strength minutes than him is 8 guys long (Karlsson, Doughty, Jones, Suter, E. Johnson, Ristolainen, Gardiner, Green), and most of the articles I've read analyzing the Chara-McAvoy pairing have shown that it's actually McAvoy making Chara look good - not the other way around. Do I think McAvoy will ever be as good as Karlsson? No, absolutely not. But being a Doughty-type is not out of the question and having that caliber player for ~10 years vs 18 months of Karlsson is why I'd hesitate.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Trying to not be a homer here, but McAvoy is already a #1. Topping out as a decent #2 would be a surprise. The list of defensemen who play more even strength minutes than him is 8 guys long (Karlsson, Doughty, Jones, Suter, E. Johnson, Ristolainen, Gardiner, Green), and most of the articles I've read analyzing the Chara-McAvoy pairing have shown that it's actually McAvoy making Chara look good - not the other way around. Do I think McAvoy will ever be as good as Karlsson? No, absolutely not. But being a Doughty-type is not out of the question and having that caliber player for ~10 years vs 18 months of Karlsson is why I'd hesitate.

I get that you watch him every night, but Doughty comparisons are probably pretty ambitious. Doughty was in the midst of a 59 point, Norris trophy nominated season at the same point in his career. I think you're looking at a player somewhere between Gardiner and Doughty. If you look at that list of players, all are good NHLers, only two are franchise defencemen that even come close to Karlsson: Doughty and Suter. Jones and Green are 1st pairing types, the others are 2nd pairing and below. If you take that list to be roughly indicative of the type of player McAvoy could be, a 1 in 4 shot of being a true #1 is trumped in my mind by the 100% chance of Karlsson being that while their best players are still at the top of their game.

I mean, the Bruins don't need to make a trade for Karlsson but it sure would help and there will probably not be another chance for them to acquire a franchise defenceman in the next 3-5 years. Their core of Bergeron, Marchand, and Rask are quite likely coming to the end of their days as top quality players. They have a couple good pieces moving forward in McAvoy and Pastrnak, but is that enough to replace those who are aging out? If you assume that McAvoy will be in his prime from age 23-27, that's when Marchand is 34 and Bergeron is 38. I figure the Bruins window is very much open right now, so why not go for it? You have to give to get, and McAvoy is probably the cost of that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

I for one am looking forward to another first-round bye for the Penguins before they meet the Caps in the second round again. Good job, Gary.

Judging by how poo poo they were against the Devils the last time they played them I'm not sure that's a first round buy.

I mean I'm sure they'd win when it mattered but I don't think the Devils are as big a pushover as some might think. They have a lot of team speed/system discipline and if healthy they have an elite goalie. That's exactly the type of team that can give the Pens problems.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doughty had 27 points as a rookie.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Doughty had 27 points as a rookie.

He was also a year younger

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The extra year in the NHL is way, way more of a factor than age.

I'm not saying I think he'll score 60 next year or that I necessarily agree with Jamwad but at that age range playing in the NHL and more importantly having access to NHL quality training programs and equipment and all that is much more important than aging a bit.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 8, 2018

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Just from the last game Boston played vs. Leafs, Chara looked like 30-35 year old Chara where he was big and imposing but you couldn't just skate around him like you could for the last few years. I don't know how or why or if it was just the one game, but he seemed to be pulling his own weight to my own eyes.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't think Ottawa is going to get an impact player like McAvoy if they move Karlsson. I bet it ends up being heavily a futures deal.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/961647107252797440

*looks at Isles defense situation*

Brendan, how'd you like to stay in NY?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

The extra year in the NHL is way, way more of a factor than age.

I'm not saying I think he'll score 60 next year or that I necessarily agree with Jamwad but at that age range playing in the NHL and more importantly having access to NHL quality training programs and equipment and all that is much more important than aging a bit.

Yeah. With younger players it's a lot more useful to compare inaugural seasons, second years, etc., than raw age. Doughty had a great second year, but he had a year of NHL experience. McAvoy was in college last year and his rookie year is looking like it will be better than Doughty's (although team quality certainly plays into that too).

I'm not saying he's going to be Doughty, but the potential is definitely there. Decent #2 is the very low end of his potential. Ultimately I'd probably accept him being part of a trade for Karlsson, but I certainly wouldn't be happy about it.

Call Your Grandma posted:

Just from the last game Boston played vs. Leafs, Chara looked like 30-35 year old Chara where he was big and imposing but you couldn't just skate around him like you could for the last few years. I don't know how or why or if it was just the one game, but he seemed to be pulling his own weight to my own eyes.

A lot of it is because they don't have to play him 30 minutes a night anymore. Used to be the defense was garbage outside of Chara and Krug, but McAvoy, Carlo, and Grzelcyk have all been able to step in, and Kevan Miller isn't bad anymore.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Rotten Cookies posted:

This has *got* to be a precursor to some kind of trade, right? Making cap room for old Brooks Orpik I imagine?

please god take Orpik and a draft pick for McDonagh

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hoooooly shittttttt pissssssss

:stare:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

Hoooooly shittttttt pissssssss

:stare:

wow

dude has struggled but I almost wonder if there's more going on.

He seemed like he thought he needed to do more than just play the same simple game that got him signed and instead tries to make the difficult play time and time again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Ken Holland: super genius. Give that man an 8-year extension.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

A lot of it is because they don't have to play him 30 minutes a night anymore. Used to be the defense was garbage outside of Chara and Krug, but McAvoy, Carlo, and Grzelcyk have all been able to step in, and Kevan Miller isn't bad anymore.

Also the minutes he is playing are probably a bit easier on his dusty old bones when he can let his partner take care of stuff sometimes and not have to do everything himself because he's beside god drat Trotman.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I don't think Ottawa is going to get an impact player like McAvoy if they move Karlsson. I bet it ends up being heavily a futures deal.

Maybe McAvoy is a bit too high a price, but surely someone in the Sergachev range has to be the centre piece coming back? If not, why bother moving him unless he's asked out? I'm struggling to think of a comparable trade of a career peak superstar player with term remaining on their contract that wasn't a cap dump or moving a disgruntled player. Rick Nash? Phil Kessel? It's not an extensive list and neither of those guys were ever considered the best at their position.

The only really comparable trade I can think of was Pronger to Anaheim and he returned Lupul (coming off a 28 goal season), Smid (9th overall pick two years prior), 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder. None of those players were McAvoy quality but Lupul at the time wasn't miles off as a young, high end NHL asset. Even then, Pronger asked out and the Oilers had no choice but to move him.

As far as we're aware, Karlsson is happy in Ottawa (his wife is from the area). If you're not going to end up with an asset that could potentially replace the player you're moving out (albeit at a reduced level), what's the point of dealing a guy like that? A package of 3 or 4 futures might have two guys work out and none of them would even come close to offering what Karlsson does. If that's all you're going to get back, it's easier and safer to just sign him long term and hope the team improves.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitter.com/TomUrtzJr/status/961647679376936960

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

loving savagery

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

are we sure Sather didn't call down for this one? Seems like something he'd do...

I'd also say that AV's system is stupid hard for defensemen for some reason...probably because everyone is constantly guessing about where they need to be and who to cover and when a defenseman recovers the puck, he often has no support because the forwards are also guessing about where to be instead of being in position to provide support. That's not a total excuse for Smith because as I said he decided he had to make the difficult play every single time this season, but it frustrates me to no end that the Rangers started this season with a promising group of defenseman that should have been able to move the puck and push the play and the coaching staff immediately pulled it all down to play their same "concede the blue line give up a ton of shots play a difficult man defense that makes everyone look bad oh and your outlet/transition strategy is always the long stretch pass hope you don't look like piss trying to play that"

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
smith was good when he came over last year so i don't know what the gently caress happened

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah. With younger players it's a lot more useful to compare inaugural seasons, second years, etc., than raw age. Doughty had a great second year, but he had a year of NHL experience. McAvoy was in college last year and his rookie year is looking like it will be better than Doughty's (although team quality certainly plays into that too).

I'm not saying he's going to be Doughty, but the potential is definitely there. Decent #2 is the very low end of his potential. Ultimately I'd probably accept him being part of a trade for Karlsson, but I certainly wouldn't be happy about it.

Fair enough, I wasn't saying it would be a lopsided win for the Bruins just that it would be (to me) a justifiable move given the respective team situations.

I am 99% sure that Grzelcyk is the Gretzky stand in from one of those 90s SEGA Genesis hockey games that didn't have an NHL license.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Oh and apparently the Rangers have called a press conference later today? Unsure if that's about waiving Smith or something else (fire av)

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
announce trading everyone

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

announce trading everyone

"we're calling up the entire hartford wolfpack and sending down the entire rangers team"

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

a false posted:

smith was good when he came over last year so i don't know what the gently caress happened

He was alright, he was really only good in the Montreal series. I’m pretty sure all of RWAS is going “we warned you!”

Still astonished he’s on waivers. Curious what this announcement is. It must be smith related, surely you could have moved him for a bag of hockey pucks at the trade deadline or something.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 8, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

"we're calling up the entire hartford wolfpack and sending down the entire rangers team"

Into it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Fire AV?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Do it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
i have been summoned

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Levitate posted:

He seemed like he thought he needed to do more than just play the same simple game that got him signed and instead tries to make the difficult play time and time again.

oh hey it's that thing I said last march

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Teemu Pokemon posted:

i have been summoned

:lol:

Also, Pionk called up.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
The Red Wings inability to draft and develop a defenseman since Kronwall is astounding

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

that'll happen when you trade all your draft picks away for erik coles and david legwands

I'm finally glad they passed on Chychryn and any number of defensemen they could've taken instead of Rasmussen, it would've been torture watching them systematically destroy all of their potential

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Have the red wings honestly given a poo poo about the draft at all in the last like 20 years?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Brandan Carlo actually good?

He seemed like the obvious "cant teach size" bust when he was drafted.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rangers media availability:

https://www.facebook.com/nyrangers/videos/10155534931089858/

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

:ohdear:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm like 90% sure this is going to be something boring like a "state of the team address" where they say "we're sorry they suck"

but you never know could be something exciting

e: random guy in a puffy coat walking in front of the camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

clean ayers act posted:

The Red Wings inability to draft and develop a defenseman since Kronwall is astounding

Jeez, I looked it up and the draft for the last decade or so has been rough for them.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 8, 2018

• Locked thread