Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My ex would specifically buy pink stuff like dice, tape measures, and pencils so neckbeards wouldn't steal her poo poo at games stores. There were a few guys who didn't even want to use a pink tape measure while playing with their meticulously painted plastic dollies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the reason why you see things like Nerf literally making pink bow-themed dart guns for girls. It's not so much marketing towards the kids as to making parents deem it acceptable for their children to have, because giving a girl something that isn't pink will make her turn gay or something.

Sometimes the opposite happens. My sister and brother-in-law go out of their way not to buy too many gendered toys, so of course for her fourth birthday my niece asked for a pink princess dress. Kids start taking social cues from their peers at a very young age.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Every line of that ad is astounding. I like to imagine that DUKE CANNON is just yelling the whole thing, inches from my face. MANLY.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
All of the "MANTIME" soaps I've had the displeasure of using have smelled horrible.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Every line of that ad is astounding. I like to imagine that DUKE CANNON is just yelling the whole thing, inches from my face. MANLY.

I was hearing it in Duke Nukem's voice.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Hmm I think you're absolutely full of poo poo because H:ZD had a ton of ads and the reason it's probably not being featured here is that it's almost a year old and these two games are pretty new but whatever, sure, sexism everywhere yeah.

I was being somewhat flippant, but it's also the PS4's biggest console-exclusive game of the last year which also had a major expansion come out at the same time as Battlefront 2 and COD:WWII, so it'd probably be a good idea to try and push it again to get some fresh eyes on it.

The real reason is probably more that EA and Activision had a big ad deal with Sony to make ads to hype up their poo poo, and Sony hyping their own poo poo wasn't part of that deal.

The Bloop posted:

My ex would specifically buy pink stuff like dice, tape measures, and pencils so neckbeards wouldn't steal her poo poo at games stores. There were a few guys who didn't even want to use a pink tape measure while playing with their meticulously painted plastic dollies.

I'm not really this way, but I still have a split-second hesitance in situations like this because I have this innate fear that someone will pop up from behind a shelf or something and make fun of me, because my sister and cousin did exactly this when we were kids. My sister now sort of does this for her daughter as well, where she'll get her pink or purple everything whether she wants it or not.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Bloop posted:

There were a few guys who didn't even want to use a pink tape measure while playing with their meticulously painted plastic dollies.

Given a choice, I would prefer to buy pink tools simply because it makes them less likely to be stolen.

SpacePig posted:

I'm not really this way, but I still have a split-second hesitance in situations like this because I have this innate fear that someone will pop up from behind a shelf or something and make fun of me, because my sister and cousin did exactly this when we were kids.

If anyone cares to question my masculinity, I have no problem with offering to show them my penis.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Schubalts posted:

All of the "MANTIME" soaps I've had the displeasure of using have smelled horrible.

How Hair and body wash smells doesn't even make much of a difference. Sure you smell it while soaped up and shortly after the shower, but as soon as you are dry, put on pit-stick and cologne or whatever you are just going to smell like that. I usually use the same soap as my SO, and if I am buying I just grab what ever is cheapest with the most neutral smell (aloe or something). But if she gets something girly I just use is anyways. Who gives a gently caress. Its usually nicer then whatever crap I'd pick. :feelsgood:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The only good man-targeted ads I can remember are the ones that have football players talking about loofahs. Loofahs loving own.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My husband actively buys lady soaps and shampoos because coconut or vanilla is the best. He's never been interested in gender marketing, he just gets what he likes. Although lady products allows him to get things in purple which is his favourite colour.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

The only good man-targeted ads I can remember are the ones that have football players talking about loofahs. Loofahs loving own.

Its called a Lather Builder!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

spog posted:

If anyone cares to question my masculinity, I have no problem with offering to show them my penis.

See, I was raised Catholic, so I'm very embarrassed and ashamed of my penis. So unfortunately, this is not an option for me. Thanks for the advice, though.

Shnag posted:

Its called a Lather Builder!

A shower pouf? Oh, no, this is a detailer and shower tool. Very manly.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

RoboRodent posted:

Yeah, this. God forbid some alpha gamer bro plays a game with a smart, capable, non-sex-object female character. His balls will drop off or something, never mind that women who play video games have to be content with male protagonists all the time.

Really, this dovetails very well with the pink-tools-for-girls chat going on.

I was going to say "You mean like Metroid?" But then I saw what they did to Metroid :(

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Atmus posted:

I was going to say "You mean like Metroid?" But then I saw what they did to Metroid :(

Save yourself and don't look at what they did to Aya Brea from Parasite Eve.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

il_cornuto posted:

How is "IT'S TIME FOR MEN TO DEVOLVE, NOT EVOLVE" not a parody

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

spog posted:

Given a choice, I would prefer to buy pink tools simply because it makes them less likely to be stolen.
See, this and the "easier to find if you drop it" angles are fine. Hell, I could even see a "want to make it easier to find the tool you need in your cluttered toolbox? Buy our brightly colored tools! Available in a range of colors! (including pink)" angle. But noooo, it has to be marketed as FOR WOMEN!, because our dainty fingers will apparently fall off if we grab a regular old black/yellow/red tool.

That's really my biggest gripe with FOR WOMEN! advertising. The normal version is apparently the men's version now, so the lady version is the one with all the pink/lavender/flowers vomited all over it. Same thing with FOR MEN! versions of cleaning supplies and body care products - they can't just have normal soaps and laundry supplies now, they have to be reassured that their dryer sheets are manly dryer sheets for real men who love bacon and football. It's gross and sexist all around.

Another example:

Men can't just have apple hand sanitizer. It has to be studly apple.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It may not be that companies think tools for women need to be pink, they may be selling set up lines for white guys.
"This cupboard door is loose. Where's that pink tool I bought?"
"I've got a pink tool for you right here!"
*zip*

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

il_cornuto posted:

How is "IT'S TIME FOR MEN TO DEVOLVE, NOT EVOLVE" not a parody

That doesn't surprise me at all. It's basically the advertising version of "Make America Great Again".

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Haifisch posted:

Men can't just have apple hand sanitizer. It has to be studly apple.

I don't want to wash my hands with the scent of incel apples.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sunswipe posted:

It may not be that companies think tools for women need to be pink, they may be selling set up lines for white guys.
"This cupboard door is loose. Where's that pink tool I bought?"
"I've got a pink tool for you right here!"
*zip*

'Hey, Marge! Do you have a pink 12mm socket?'

'My pink socket is bigger than 12mm!'

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

The account was probably flagged for possible terms of service violations, like account sharing or screen recording.

netflix doesn't give a poo poo about account sharing and actively has features to make it easier, and there's better ways to flag screen recording than that if they're particularly worried

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

The boys line is zombie strike

http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Hammershot

Hilariously that looks worse than the other one in every way. Even when I was a kid I would have wanted the "girl" version because it looks rad, pink or not.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

Hilariously that looks worse than the other one in every way. Even when I was a kid I would have wanted the "girl" version because it looks rad, pink or not.

I know right? The Rebelle has a cooler name and far better color scheme. Even the darts are cooler. I got my friends daughter a gun for Christmas and the darts had little messages you had to decode with a little red piece of cellophane. I don't remember if she could write messages on them or if they were pretty written but either way still better than plain zombie darts.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pretty hardcore if they let you write the names of your enemies on ammo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

I know right? The Rebelle has a cooler name and far better color scheme. Even the darts are cooler. I got my friends daughter a gun for Christmas and the darts had little messages you had to decode with a little red piece of cellophane. I don't remember if she could write messages on them or if they were pretty written but either way still better than plain zombie darts.

:eyepop: that sounds like the most awesome nerf gun ever made.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of girls and Nerf guns, my daughter's high school had an unsanctioned Nerf war with teams in multiple brackets. School was the only safe zone, but you couldn't be shot wearing only your underwear. At one point my daughter's team ambushed a bunch of guys playing basketball and one survived because he stripped down to his briefs. People would get ambushed in their own homes after parents unsuspectingly let attackers into the house so my daughter and her friends got into the habit of just wearing Nike short shorts and sports bras during the holiday break.

I still think it was just an excuse to get teenagers to walk around in their underwear, but my daughter's team beat everyone by doing stuff like hiding in truck beds and shooting people as they walked to their cars. And no, she didn't have a pink Nerf gun.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

hiding in truck beds and shooting people as they walked to their cars

Congratulations on your daughter's brief but stellar future career with the Russian mob.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

The masculine equivalent of "shrink it and pink it" is "make it heavier and paint it black".

And add RIGID GRIP TEXTURE to the bottle for when you're gonna bludgeon somebody with your bottle of SKRUB Athletic Bodywash for Men.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Stirling Soaps has some good manly scents without making themselves into a stupid parody of what masculinity is, although if you really want to smell like a real man just bath regularly in LAVA soap.

Or carbolic soap.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Pretty hardcore if they let you write the names of your enemies on ammo.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

HEY IRONHEAD, WHATS WITH THIS THINGY??

Sorry I’ve been waiting 10 years to post this phrase in proper context

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Congratulations on your daughter's brief but stellar future career with the Russian mob.

I was both proud and mildly disturbed.

A guy she shot in his own bedroom had one of those rec league photo buttons with his face on it nearby and she started wearing it around like it was a trophy of ears or something. It's not often you find your true professional calling while still in High School.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shnag posted:

It works for men though too. Pepsi Max exists so men will drink diet Pepsi. "Diet Pepsi!? I am not on a diet nor am I girl. Pepsi Max? Black label with more caffeine?! No calories for better gains!? Give me some of that!" Putting a black label on anything makes it masculine regardless of what it is.

It was disappointing seeing "girl" versions of toys previously thought of as unisex , such as lego and Nerf. It sucks to think twin brother and sisters could both ask for nerf and lego for their birthday and get something completely different. The boy gets a SAW machine gun style nerf gun and a lego pirate ship, the girl gets a pink and white 'huntress' bow and a baby day care lego set. I mean its fine if they are both happy with that, but it is also fine if they want to trade.

"Pink is for girls, blue is for boys" exists to make it easier for department stores to sell their crap and funnel shoppers around. To think a colour has a gender is a pretty dumb idea, but is stuck in culture just the same.

The girl-oriented Lego has seriously lifted its game in the last few years. Full-sized mall sets, cruise liners and yachts, and they even went full hog with a DC superhero girls line for some reason.

The Friends line which does some things differently from the rest of their sets because apparently of market research; instead of the modular minifigures they have larger, more detailed individual characters, because apparently girls get more attached to them? I dunno, maybe. But one of the weird things is, the girl's lines have sets of things like malls, shops and boutiques, the abovementioned cruise yachts, even schools... things you don't often see in the City line of playsets. City is basically mostly vehicles and infrastructure; cars, utility trucks, passenger and cargo plains, trains and ships, and some sporting and recreational vehicles like sailboats, quad bikes and racecars. (Sponsored by Octan, of course) It's only recently and in some of the larger sets that the City line has shops to go with the infrastructure, and then usually things like coffee shops by the train station.

And on the other hand, neither of them (outside some licensed sets) have houses and homes, that seems is near exclusive to the Creator line, which is meant to be more free-form, with some of the bigger advanced sets being highly detailed city streets with homes, shops and offices. In short, none of the mundane Lego toylines is sufficient to build a complete community on its own.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

The girl's LEGO also includes such girly things as a Skate Park, an Invention Workshop, and a Dojo.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Its cool the girls lego line has some cool stuff, but all of that can exist without it being a "girls" line. If none of the legos had a gendered theme, kids could ask for what ever set they wanted. If parents couldn't tell the difference, neither could kids, nor their peers would see the difference. A boy should be able to ask for a skate park with out the pressure of wanting a "girls" toy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like I said, kind of the issue is a lot of parents (and relatives) will refuse to buy a girl anything that isn't pink, so you might as well make some cool pink stuff to slip under the radar.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shnag posted:

Its cool the girls lego line has some cool stuff, but all of that can exist without it being a "girls" line. If none of the legos had a gendered theme, kids could ask for what ever set they wanted. If parents couldn't tell the difference, neither could kids, nor their peers would see the difference. A boy should be able to ask for a skate park with out the pressure of wanting a "girls" toy.

I agree in principle, but I have known people who by default think of lego (and any other building/construction toy, or in fact toy cars) as a "boy toy". Those people wouldn't buy their daughters lego, but they might buy them "girl lego". Does it make sense? gently caress no. Is it still the case regardless? Yep.

Edit: What he said ^.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

People are insane. I used to work at a day care where most of the infant bibs we're donated from a family with a little girl which meant they were pink or purple or said girly things.

The treasurer of the church would flip poo poo if her grandson were in a girls bib though so you had to always make sure he had a boy bib because she was petty and in charge of the schedule

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like things that are perceived as feminine, and some would even say I have some effeminate qualities. I don't give a flying gently caress, and as far as I can tell the only people that really seem to give a poo poo are straight men, and for whatever reason it freaks them the gently caress out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had two girls who loved LEGO and neither one wanted anything to do with the LEGO Friends series. I'm cool with LEGO having that series, because anything that expands the market can be good. But girls like minifigs as much as boys so the awkward looking Friends figurines just seem out of place. There were better ways it could have been implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Iron Crowned posted:

I like things that are perceived as feminine, and some would even say I have some effeminate qualities. I don't give a flying gently caress, and as far as I can tell the only people that really seem to give a poo poo are straight men, and for whatever reason it freaks them the gently caress out.

cishet men get REAL upset about that poo poo because if another man breaks free of the Manly poo poo prison it invalidates their own acceptance of it. every man must only be into Manly poo poo or they might have to actually think about whether their own cargo cult masculinity really makes them a man