Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Doltos posted:

"For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."

Isaiah Thomas 5'9"

Haha IT is the exemplar of little man complex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i'm getting the sense he's the new rondo

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/961654734552694786

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

Just a reminder that IT finished fifth in MVP voting and put up 12.5 winshares last year

you know darned well brad stevens has nothing to do with all of his stats this year being significantly worse than they were on SAC and in PHO :[

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Seeing that the salaries actually match for that blew my mind. I totally forgot how little Thomas was getting payed. I mean, it matches his production this year, but drat.

e: in fact, Lakers gave up 4 mill more salary. Forgot Clarkson got a 12 mil a year extension.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

As someone who is mainly a hockey guy, what does a protected v unprotected pick mean?

Also,
https://twitter.com/reflog_18/status/961613594298388481

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Haha IT is the exemplar of little man complex

To be fair the only way you make it to the NBA (much less become an all-star) at 5'7" is to have one hell of a chip on your shoulder

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

I think it's a win-win trade.

Clarkson is undeniably talented, definitely one of the best Lakers talent-wise overall, but never has been fully cured of Byron Scott disease (and just in general didn't buy in to the offense), and he's not playing defense on a Lakers team that actually seems to play defense once in a while this season, so his role with the team had slipped, and in fact he almost disappeared completely until Lonzo got hurt. The Cavs actually need someone who can hop into some ISOs when Lebron is off the floor, and while he's not a great three point shooter, he's good enough and will get much better looks on passes from Lebron than passes from Tyler Ennis. He also can be a good point guard, although he seems to hate t o play point guard now, but maybe being with Lebron will reinvigorate that.

Losing Nance hurts a lot, he's one of my favorite Lakers. But also he was the odd man out most nights between Kuzma and Randle and small ball lineups. I'm excited to see what he can do on a playoff team.

If IT sucks, he sucks, he's a free agent. If he's good, he could actually make the Laker offense work more regularly (it's been working lately but the Lakers have also been shooting way better than usual which is probably a fluke).

Chandler Frye is a cool dude, but probably won't actually play a ton.

The pick is nice. Lakers definitely need it.

IT is shooting as bad as Lonzo this year

Also, I guess we had better hope that IT isn't the lockerroom poison he seemed like this year

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm pretty sure the Lakers would have been able to find the cap space for Lebron regardless of this trade.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

you know darned well brad stevens has nothing to do with all of his stats this year being significantly worse than they were on SAC and in PHO :[

What does that have to do with anything that I said

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Eltoasto posted:

I'm pretty sure the Lakers would have been able to find the cap space for Lebron regardless of this trade.

The idea is to make space for two (2) maxes, ostensibly PG and Lebron

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/961657030758096896

:thunk:

Rick posted:

Chandler Frye is a cool dude, but probably won't actually play a ton.

tae is that you

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

As someone who is mainly a hockey guy, what does a protected v unprotected pick mean?

Also,

You can basically say "If the pick falls between x and y in the draft you get _____ instead."

Like, the cavs pick is probably Lottery (1-14) protected, or else it turns into 2 2nd rounders, or something.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Also,

If the pick falls in a certain range (like between 1st and 14th in a round), they'll send a later year's pick instead. Usually there are rolling protections so in 2018 it's protected 1-14, in 2019 it's protected 1-8, etc.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I’ve always been an Ainge hater but I’m ready to admit it: Danny Ainge is a goddamn wizard

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/961656950781071360

The pictures in the tweet crack me the hell up.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Cool Buff Man posted:

To be fair the only way you make it to the NBA (much less become an all-star) at 5'7" is to have one hell of a chip on your shoulder

I figured Thomas had been lying about his height for awhile, but he actually combine measured at 5'8 3/4" without shoes and 5'10" with shoes, which surprises me because he looks shorter than that on the floor, maybe it's just cause there's so few sub-6' players.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Adun posted:

I’ve always been an Ainge hater but I’m ready to admit it: Danny Ainge is a goddamn wizard

Well he certainly made Brolic disappear

Libertine posted:

I figured Thomas had been lying about his height for awhile, but he actually combine measured at 5'8 3/4" without shoes and 5'10" with shoes, which surprises me because he looks shorter than that on the floor, maybe it's just cause there's so few sub-6' players.

FWIW a few Boston beat writers remarked that he was shorter than them and they were 5'8", 5'9" so it's acceptable to believe that he's whatever height is funniest to you

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

IT is shooting as bad as Lonzo this year

Also, I guess we had better hope that IT isn't the lockerroom poison he seemed like this year

IT is probably going to get bought out, imo.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Pick protections are set usually for a number of years after the pick. So let's say you want to trade away a first round pick, but you really want it to stay with you if you win the draft lottery and it falls in the 1-3 range (lottery protections are very common). Then you can make a deal where you say that the pick only is given to the other team this year if it falls below the 3rd draft pick, otherwise it gets postdated to next year. Where it may or may not have similar protections depending on how the deal was worked out.

This is as opposed to unprotected picks, which are exactly what they sound like, you get what you get.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cool Buff Man posted:

Little man gets picked last in pickup unless he's an absolute grinder or has sick handles. It's that way from elementary school to college gyms.

Love bending over to hand him the ball just shows that you can never escape the feeling that sub 6 footers don't get a lot of respect Look at Chris Paul. Part of the reason he's such a flopper and rear end in a top hat is because people try to body him constantly on offense ever since he entered the league even though he's a sound defender.

IT's got it worse since he's most definitely a ball hog and puts up shots that would be fine if Kobe took them but are looked down upon because he's 5'8" without shoes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It was even funnier in video form, I think someone posted it last night if you want to look for it.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

What does that have to do with anything that I said

his increase in production from SAC to PHO to BOS was fairly linear, it's not so much a Brad Stevens-MASTERMIND situation because he really was an incredible individual player last year and probably woulda been great on any team

the injury was really really bad :[

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Cool Buff Man posted:

FWIW a few Boston beat writers remarked that he was shorter than them and they were 5'8", 5'9" so it's acceptable to believe that he's whatever height is funniest to you

in that case i declare him exactly 69 inches tall

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

Little man gets picked last in pickup unless he's an absolute grinder or has sick handles. It's that way from elementary school to college gyms.

Love bending over to hand him the ball just shows that you can never escape the feeling that sub 6 footers don't get a lot of respect Look at Chris Paul. Part of the reason he's such a flopper and rear end in a top hat is because people try to body him constantly on offense ever since he entered the league even though he's a sound defender.

IT's got it worse since he's most definitely a ball hog and puts up shots that would be fine if Kobe took them but are looked down upon because he's 5'8" without shoes.

Totally agree

EvanTH posted:

his increase in production from SAC to PHO to BOS was fairly linear, it's not so much a Brad Stevens-MASTERMIND situation because he really was an incredible individual player last year and probably woulda been great on any team

the injury was really really bad :[

Isaiah's highest winshare total before Boston was 7.7. With Boston he got 12.5. His highest TS% before Boston was .579%. He got .625% TS last year. In what world is that "linear" improvement. It's almost the definition of nonlinear outlier year

Want more proof? Look at Kyrie's advanced stats this year. Look at Jae Crowder. Avery Bradley. It's not a coincidence that nearly every player has career years with Brad

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 8, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Paul Zuvella posted:

IT is probably going to get bought out, imo.

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/961651645825277952

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ghost Dog posted:

i still dont understand? you think cutting someone or letting them walk for free is in some way objectively better than packaging them in trades for better players?

Jordan Clarkson is an imperfect fit next to LeBron and on the books for two more years. Is he a better player right now than IT? Sure. But did Cleveland just not learn the lesson of trading a disgruntled player for parts assuming that the parts will just plug in

And if he's not the type of player that LeBron wants or likes then you just added another log onto the pile of things he hates about the org right now. So you give him more reason to walk out but at least you have Jordan Clarkson for 2 more years yippy

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 8, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I should reword:

If IT shows up and pulls the same poo poo he pulled in cleveland then he will be bought out.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Good trade for the Cavs imo

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/961660450906787843

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

WhyteRyce posted:

Jordan Clarkson is an imperfect fit next to LeBron and on the books for two more years. Is he a better player right now than IT? Sure. But did Cleveland just not learn the lesson of trading a disgruntled player for parts assuming that the parts will just plug in

And if he's not the type of player that LeBron wants or likes then you just added another log onto the pile of things he hates about the org right now

ok but my hangup is none of that is an argument against trading IT? thats an argument for trading him for a different player.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Please don't be Cedi please don't be Cedi

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

What did Cleveland trade for Hood :stare:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

drat I wanted him

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

*in an extremely Bill Simmons voice*

Woah!!!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

haha I like Hood but bye bye LeBron

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Now that would be a big help if he can stay heathy. He gets hurt more than anybody I've ever seen

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/961660720642445312

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hahaha the team just got so much more watchable even if it doesnt help at all. gently caress jae crowder and derrick rose

• Locked thread