Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

This also raises further questions, like if Devoe is able to just fly into the prison at any moment then what was he even waiting around for. Was that one security guard just too much of a challenge?

Devoe is one of the worst villains I have seen in fiction for years.

His wife explicitly said the original plan was they were going to wait for all 12 bus metas to get locked up and then just walk in and take them all. Team Flash intercepting and reforming Ralph before he did something to land in Iron Heights himself clearly derailed 1/12th of that one already. But again, it's clear that something is starting to gently caress with his ability to account, plan for, and control every variable so he's starting to make impulsive decisions, or at the very least cut wifey out of the loop for some reason.

show dumb, whuddup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The original plan is stupid too.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Devoe is the hero here. He cultivated all of these powers and is absorbing them to give him the ability to save the world when the time comes.

He’s pragmatic enough to know the lives of a dozen people pale in comparison to the entire world but knows Barry wouldn’t see it that way.

So he’s been messing with Barry to keep him from undoing the long-term plan to save the world that Barry hasn’t even thought was a possibility yet.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

When DeVoe says there are too many variables for him to comprehend I want his wife to start telling him he needs to Think Hard-er-er.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Balon posted:

Devoe is the hero here. He cultivated all of these powers and is absorbing them to give him the ability to save the world when the time comes.

He’s pragmatic enough to know the lives of a dozen people pale in comparison to the entire world but knows Barry wouldn’t see it that way.

So he’s been messing with Barry to keep him from undoing the long-term plan to save the world that Barry hasn’t even thought was a possibility yet.

The Thunker has said stuff like this plenty of times. Like that he needed Barry out of the way for his plans and that Barry couldn't see things on his level or whatever. His intention from the time he got his powers was to "Save the World."

Which I assume is why his wife has been cool with him being pretty villainous until now as a necessary evil. The problem is that now he is just snapping necks of people like the warden which had nothing to do with his plans and wasn't necessary. Making him just evil.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The warden knew Barry is the Flash, though. I was expecting Devoe to explain that the guy knew too much but instead he just like "gently caress that guy lol."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm going to assume he also sucked out the Warden's knowlage as well.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Katee Sackhoff is great at chewing scenery and I straight-up love her character here. Come at me.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Her character is very dumb but so is the rest of the show and at least she knows it and leans into it.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

nooneofconsequence posted:

The warden knew Barry is the Flash, though. I was expecting Devoe to explain that the guy knew too much but instead he just like "gently caress that guy lol."

He also said that there was a high probability of everyone finding out during the trial that Barry was the Flash. He wasn't protecting his secret identity or anything. He just wants him out of his way so he won't interfere with his plans.

He just had a huge evil-on after sucking up some brains and saw someone crawling away and trying to escape so he stepped on them for no reason while dropping one liners.

quote:

I don't want your body. I want your life.

After that his wife said it wasn't necessary to their plans at all.

I mean my interpretation of the episode being called "True Colors" is that Devoe has been selling himself as a hero who is trying to do good things which his wife believes in but nope, crushing skulls for no reason and loving it. Drug the wife if she has a problem with it. The guy lecturing Barry on the greater good and secure in the justice of his actions is actually just a bad guy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao the lady from BSG who plays Starbuck is the same terrible british accent villain? holy poo poo that is some gloriously bad casting

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
She was also a deputy for six seasons on "Longmire"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azhais posted:

She was also a deputy for six seasons on "Longmire"

Between BSG, 24, Longmire, Riddick, and Flash, she’s done pretty drat well for herself over the last decade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's also hilarious and loves her fans.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bring back old gbs posted:

holy poo poo that is some gloriously bad casting

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

pile of brown posted:

Also like what even was the wardens plan? This former cop who regularly gets visits from his wife, a DA, and an active detective in charge of the meta hunting squad is going to just disappear from jail and nobody will notice? Or notice all the other metas disappearing? Maybe one or two a year but the entire meta population of the jail just vanishes and nobody would be worried or investigate?

Presumably the payday for selling the goddamn FLASH is enough that he can immediately retire to Corto Maltese or some other non-extradition country.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I got the impression that the original Devoe's plan was what we saw, with him transferring his consciousness to a new body, and that he had plans for after that. But since that plan actually worked, he's beginning to second guess whether or not he now needs to follow through with what he and his wife had concocted, and is now thinking of a new plan, one that his wife would probably object to.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Katie Sackhoff as Amunet is campy, with an overdone accent, and is basically downright silly.

Which is perfect for a comic book show like The Flash. I'm happy she's in the show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
DeVoe's key flaw is that he lowballed how stupid Team Flash actually was. So now he's scrambling to make up the deficit and praying they don't stack underflow into actually becoming so stupid they manage to beat him through sheer dumbassery.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I'm wondering is if the dead DeVoe body they left in Barry's apartment had the top of his head missing too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So did Ralph go grave robbing then?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
if they kill devoe by releasing all if the metas inside of him then i don't even

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bozart posted:

if they kill devoe by releasing all if the metas inside of him then i don't even

Eh, how bad could it be.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Though it's been done before...

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Something I'm wondering is if the dead DeVoe body they left in Barry's apartment had the top of his head missing too.

Thunkforce: I could explain all possible poo poo but I won't

nine-gear crow posted:

DeVoe's key flaw is that he lowballed how stupid Team Flash actually was. So now he's scrambling to make up the deficit and praying they don't stack underflow into actually becoming so stupid they manage to beat him through sheer dumbassery.

The Thunker accurately predicted every eventuality and accounted for every variable. But Team Flash was so stupid they managed to do the worst possible thing in every circumstance. Every 0.00000000001% chance to be monumentally dumb turned out to be what they chose to do which was so statistically improbable it was impossible for him to compute.

They defeat him as he sits as his fancy computers that are now sparking while he is watching a montage of Barry punching himself in the face and Cecille objecting to her own arguments in court to the Flash theme.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 9, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Real Devoe was cremated. There, I solved it, girlletitgo.gif.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

They defeat him as he sits as his fancy computers that are now sparking while he is watching a montage of Barry punching himself in the face and Cecille objecting to her own arguments in court to the Flash theme.

Show redeemed.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
De Voe is gonna possess Barry but he will be defeated by Barry THINKING faster. The new status quo in season 5 will be that Barry is constantly trying to outthink the Thinker that's still inside him.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Devoe is gonna constantly be harassing him about pizza and margarita shooters

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

nine-gear crow posted:

Like, when DeVoe busts into the prison and starts zapping the poo poo out of everyone, that probably would have been the perfect time to drop the accent for a second and go “Okay, screw this,” and bolt. Again, I don’t honestly care about it because it’s just an actor having some giddy fun on a dumbfuck superhero show after headlining two back-to-back long-running drama for the last 10 years.

There's an old movie, Murder By Death, that's a parody of detective stories and murder mysteries (really funny and an A+ cast, I recommend it). In it Peter Sellers is in yellowface playing a Charlie Chan parody (old detective who isn't referenced much anymore because people can't decide if "progressive for its time by having an Asian detective at all" outweighs "but still really uncomfortable by today's standards"). There are jokes in there about how bad his accent is, and I spent the whole movie waiting for a gag that he was actually a white guy doing an act, but it never came.

I find myself feeling the same way with Amunet. It doesn't have to happen, Wentworth Miller stayed as hammy as he could manage and it was great, but now that the idea's in my head I can't not wait for it to happen.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I thought DeVoe was going to take control of the bodies of all the metas at once. That could have been really neat

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I was going to make a joke about Barry only having some lovely Brinks level security system at his apartment but then I remembered Cisco never bothers to secure their actual base

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
that luck power is op. does devoe have that now? does he still have mind reading? does he have powers from all the other people he grasped at the prison?

obviously wife will turn on him but I think something interesting could be done with his new (uncontrolable?) good luck power somehow loving with his genius intellect.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My bet is that with each power, they all get a little weaker. Literally "no one man should have all that power". As he sucks them up, he'll have better luck/thought/shrinking/etc but not as good as the original meta with that power.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
:flashfact: I will only leave prison when you guys can get me out legally.

:v: We committed mega-perjury, Ralph faked being DeVoe in front of his theoretical widow, and Cecile should be disbarred if not imprisoned.

:flashfact: Sounds good man. GO TEAM FLASH!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tree Dude posted:

that luck power is op. does devoe have that now? does he still have mind reading? does he have powers from all the other people he grasped at the prison?
He definitely still has mind-reading, so presumably he has all the powers now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

OB_Juan posted:

:v: We committed mega-perjury, Ralph faked being DeVoe in front of his theoretical widow, and Cecile should be disbarred if not imprisoned.

What exactly was Cecile's plan when she first appealed because the Dinby fakeout was a last second idea

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WhyteRyce posted:

What exactly was Cecile's plan when she first appealed because the Dinby fakeout was a last second idea

There wasn't a plan. Cecile just walked into the appeal hearing basically like "No, I don't have any new evidence your honour... But what if I said 'please' this time? Would that work?"

Maybe she was thinking she could mindread her way to getting Barry released and hoped that her pulling poo poo seemingly out of her rear end with no real evidence would hold up in court. I dunno.

I love Cecile, she's a great and fun character and her and Joe together are simply divine, but... she is a REALLY lovely lawyer for someone who's supposed to be Central City's district attorney.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

OB_Juan posted:

Especially wierd after Dibny gave Joe that impassioned speech about not planting evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

When DeVoe says there are too many variables for him to comprehend I want his wife to start telling him he needs to Think Hard-er-er.

Needs someone saying in a breathy voice, "Think, Clifford, think!"