Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
can someone tell me what happens because i dont have sound here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Jeez, I looked it up and the draft for the last decade or so has been rough for them.

Yeah, Holland has zero idea how to build a team in the cap era.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Levitate posted:

I'm like 90% sure this is going to be something boring like a "state of the team address" where they say "we're sorry they suck"

but you never know could be something exciting

e: random guy in a puffy coat walking in front of the camera

"Hey guys, we're just gonna answer questions you might have" is apparently what this is.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/961669453804130304

this isn't normal

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Brandan Carlo actually good?

He seemed like the obvious "cant teach size" bust when he was drafted.

Well, he's at least better than Zach Trotman and Adam McQuaid.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I love all the angry face emojis flying across the FB live feed.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
alright well trade the players already then

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This all sounds like bracing the fan base for a painful throwing in of the towel starting right now.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

there's the fire sale announcement

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Slappy Pappy posted:

I love all the angry face emojis flying across the FB live feed.

I'd like to think the Haha faces are from those in the New York area of the Devils and Islanders persuasions.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

CBJSprague24 posted:

This all sounds like bracing the fan base for a painful throwing in of the towel starting right now.

starting now? they've won 3 regulation games in their last 20

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

EVERYTHING
MUUUUSTTT
GOOOOOOO

WE'RE HAVING A FIRE SALE THAT'S RIGHT A FIRE SALE YOU WANT A LUNDQVIST YOU'VE GOT IT YOU WANT A MCDONAGH CONSIDER IT MCDONE

NO REASONABLE OFFERS REFUSED

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/961671077155016707

Gorton just answered a question about how far they're going to strip it down and he was non-committal in response.

a false posted:

starting now? they've won 3 regulation games in their last 20

I hadn't seen the Rags for a while prior to last night.

e- Sather's handkerchief, from a distance, looked like airline pilot wings.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'd like to think the Haha faces are from those in the New York area of the Devils and Islanders persuasions.

I think it's just Zodijacky spamming the button.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Brandan Carlo actually good?

He seemed like the obvious "cant teach size" bust when he was drafted.

He is a big guy, but he skates well and is responsible defensively. He doesn't really make any flashy plays but you won't see him mess up very often either. He doesn't really have an offensive game but I don't know that he needs to with Krug, McAvoy, and Chara on the backend for the PP and stuff, although he's still capable of making some really nice passes. Given a few more years of development I could see him being sort of like a Niklas Hjalmarsson type of defenseman.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I hope the Rangers deadline is as eventful as Cleveland's just was in the NBA. Been a while since we had a wild deadline like that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Admitting this roster's time is over, blowing up the team? Hey, as long as long as they're honest about it, go full into it and hopefully it makes a rebuild quick and painless.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Rangers have one poor season and they publicly announce a rebuild. The Canucks finish at the bottom of the standings three years in a row and any talk from management of moving players on expiring contracts for picks sounds more forced than someone reading a prepared statement into a camera while an ISIS guy holds an AK47 to their head.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I hope the Rangers deadline is as eventful as Cleveland's just was in the NBA. Been a while since we had a wild deadline like that.

Hell, same.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Slappy Pappy posted:

I think it's just Zodijacky spamming the button.

Gonna text him this because it owns lmao

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I think the Toronto approach to their [latest] rebuild has gotten a lot of good press. Hockey writers/commentators love talking about Babcock, in particular, saying hard times were coming. It’s not surprising to see NYR follow in their footsteps by helping their fans brace for short term pain in the name of greater good.

Maybe I’m more impressed than I should be because Detroit should’ve done this the second Lidstrom retired.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
A lot of teams, especially the established/O6 teams it seems like, would rather suffer through mediocrity for decades than embrace having to rebuild for a few years. It's refreshing that teams like Toronto and the Rangers are starting to be willing to go for it, and I'm very happy that Montreal is run by morons who won't.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Unless youre trading Lundqvist doing a letter seems like overkill

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rotten Cookies posted:

EVERYTHING
MUUUUSTTT
GOOOOOOO

WE'RE HAVING A FIRE SALE THAT'S RIGHT A FIRE SALE YOU WANT A LUNDQVIST YOU'VE GOT IT YOU WANT A MCDONAGH CONSIDER IT MCDONE

For those who don't get it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I40HfH1UiXo

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This is now known, as of today, as Cleveland Cavaliersing, and it is loving glorious.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I agree with that, the tone I get is that ANYONE is available.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Rotten Cookies posted:

EVERYTHING
MUUUUSTTT
GOOOOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I40HfH1UiXo

Edit goddammit iospace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyLBXYqt3nM

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
That letter is quite something. Time to buckle up I guess.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

I think the Toronto approach to their [latest] rebuild has gotten a lot of good press. Hockey writers/commentators love talking about Babcock, in particular, saying hard times were coming. It’s not surprising to see NYR follow in their footsteps by helping their fans brace for short term pain in the name of greater good.

Maybe I’m more impressed than I should be because Detroit should’ve done this the second Lidstrom retired.

We didn't get that in Columbus. It was "The team that was supposed to be good sucks", "Jeff Carter hates it here", "Nash wants out", "Jeff Carter abruptly stopped signing autographs at an STH event and walked out when he got the call", (Protest Howson and Priest outside the arena), "They traded Nash for what?".

It worked out in the end, though, and much quicker than we thought. They've been good more often than not, which is more than can be said for the first 11 years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Unless youre trading Lundqvist doing a letter seems like overkill

They're almost certainly trading their captain, so it's not surprising. Either way, I think it's a good move being public about this. There won't be any illusion from fans that they're going to be competitive in the next few years and people can get legitimately excited about youngsters because they're unlikely to be moved for short term solutions. It's kind of nice going to a hockey game without any expectation of winning. Don't get me wrong, I preferred it when the Canucks were successful, but it's a hell of a lot less stressful these days.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So who's safe on the Rangers? I'd guess Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Shattenkirk, and Skjei are safe no matter what, but it's hard to say who else might be outside of them. Maybe Miller and Hayes due to age? They have expiring contracts though, so they might be prime rental candidates.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
did the rangers think they were going to be good this year? i don't really get why they signed a one dimensional defenseman to a huge deal

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Lmao @ the rangers.

Probably shouldn’t have signed smith in the offseason when he was looking for a contract. but then again, I’m sure the team wasn’t looking to give him bad news on a day that wasn’t even his birthday.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bewbies posted:

did the rangers think they were going to be good this year? i don't really get why they signed a one dimensional defenseman to a huge deal

They did, but looking at the way the roster was constructed there were a bunch of red flags (which a lot of people pointed out).

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So who's safe on the Rangers? I'd guess Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Shattenkirk, and Skjei are safe no matter what, but it's hard to say who else might be outside of them. Maybe Miller and Hayes due to age? They have expiring contracts though, so they might be prime rental candidates.

the ones you said plus the first round picks from last draft, and lundqvist probably just because a trade doesn't make sense

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bewbies posted:

Shatty was only a 4 year deal and he's been playing hurt since training camp. He's hardly the problem. The Stepan trade left them very bad down the middle and it's shown.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

i am the bird posted:

The Rangers also haven't really re-built in over a decade, when they sold off everyone right before the lockout. They've gone through a lot of changes but never really traded all their players, etc

That said they still have to put a team on the ice next season, they can't just trade everyone for whatever they can get. I'd bet there's at least a core group of players they won't move, a couple of defensemen, a handful of forwards, but other guys could be up for grabs

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I could see Zibanejad being available for the right offer but if he goes then they probably need to keep someone like Hayes. I think Miller is definitely on the block, I believe it's been rumored. I think Hayes might be preferable to keep around because he's kind of transitioned into a solid two way center.

bewbies posted:

I think this year was always a "we're overhauling the team because we have to and there are some holes in the lineup but lets cross our fingers and hope guys will step up and things will work out". Center depth is the big obvious issue and injuries have really contributed to the decline but I think they hoped that they could turn things around pretty quick int he next several years with the right moves (hence signing Shattenkirk), but things aren't panning out so they're selling instead

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 8, 2018

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/961675604033769472

:eyepop:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Have you guys ever been to an estate sale that looked like it was going to have some awesome stuff auctioned off, but when you get there it's all just kind of old or off-brand? Then the couple of pieces that look promising get bid up to stupid prices and you feel like you've wasted a Saturday?

That's the Rangers fire sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It just wouldn't be the Rangers if they weren't burying an albatross defenseman contract in the AHL

• Locked thread