Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
edge is also an edge case browser in that no one uses it so it’s aptly named

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gazpacho posted:

does anyone actually run unix multiuser anymore?

our ERP software runs on a Linux system. a couple hundred people or so typically access it by firing up Putty and SSHing into the Linux system.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
wayland refuses to let any graphical app run as root. This is by design and there’s no way around it or to turn it off. :allears:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

wayland refuses to let any graphical app run as root. This is by design and there’s no way around it or to turn it off. :allears:

this is correct in all senses of the word

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

this is correct in all senses of the word

There are plenty of reasons to run some apps as root.

gparted is the first that comes to mind.
or doing a quick “sudo gedit” won’t work anymore.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 9, 2018

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

how do things like gparted or synaptic run?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ratbert90 posted:

good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

how do things like gparted or synaptic run?

They don’t.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ratbert90 posted:

no, no, gently caress you, no

gparted should work by calling on other services that have the necessary privileges to manipulate the geometry of a specific disk, and only that

the code implementing the scroll bars and tool tips and buttons in the gparted window should have no ability to touch a disk or do anything else as root

capability based security with separation of privileges, it’s not just a good idea

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gnome disks is a non-privileged gui that talks to the privileged udisks service to do its thing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

remember when doing this would take root ownership of the desktop d-bus socket or something and everything would instantly hang. good times.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

gnome disks is a non-privileged gui that talks to the privileged udisks service to do its thing

I get that, but I am lazy and stuck in my ways and want to use gparted. :saddowns:

Also, I found out that only apps written for Wayland have no workaround.

Typing: "xhost +local:" before running sudo will allow an app written for xorg to run with sudo privileges.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Gparted seems to run on Fedora 27 with Wayland just fine so idk what to tell you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Gparted seems to run on Fedora 27 with Wayland just fine so idk what to tell you.

Did you update or are you running a clean install?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Started as Fedora 25

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

“sudo gedit “ should pop up a message asking if you meant “sudo vi”

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

with these innovations i am sure the year of linux on the desktop is just around the corner

also need to drive idiots like this out of the community so more focus can be placed on the sanctity of root: https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/1vyfmNCYpi5

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Lory Nefti posted:

I love your rants Mr.Torvalds, especially the "please just kill yourself now" and the compiler masturbation one.
ok which one of you was this

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Started as Fedora 25

More than likely you are running x and not wayland.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
flatpak is pretty cool and this fedora atomic workstation thing seems to be developing nicely around it

gonna need a better solution for using it as a dev machine than "run oc cluster up to spawn a half-dozen docker containers running kubernetes on your system" though. something that let you create a heavy container with a traditional rpm-based fedora install that you could open a shell into would be nice.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

with these innovations i am sure the year of linux on the desktop is just around the corner

also need to drive idiots like this out of the community so more focus can be placed on the sanctity of root: https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/1vyfmNCYpi5

of course linus uses g+, probably the first person i've ever seen actually use it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
linus doesn't understand why changing the time/timezone requires a system password? lol.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Kerberos-Infrastructure-HOWTO/time-sync.html

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the point is that a users personal laptop is very different from other usecases, and root/admin accounts should on user machines only be a matter of protecting the user from *accidentally* doing something bad to their machine (e.g. elevation prompts for running some random thing off of the web)

so both changing the time and more advanced things like handling a new disk or being able to edit a system file with gedit, if that is ones preference, are certainly in scope for things to make reasonably easy

plus, not least, local elevation security is so frequently broken anyway that imposing any hardships on users to maintain it is more theatre than good policy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'd love it if sudo simply gave you higher permissions but unless you append a "-" to the end of your command line it will set up a brand new environment, homedir, etc. which makes it very hard to just use sudo for simple elevation. If you run "sudo gedit -" I believe it works but I forget the exact incantation you need for that. The reason that "sudo gedit" doesn't work in Wayland is that "sudo" works drastically differently than how users think it does.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'd love it if sudo simply gave you higher permissions but unless you append a "-" to the end of your command line it will set up a brand new environment, homedir, etc. which makes it very hard to just use sudo for simple elevation. If you run "sudo gedit -" I believe it works but I forget the exact incantation you need for that. The reason that "sudo gedit" doesn't work in Wayland is that "sudo" works drastically differently than how users think it does.

idk why i do it this way but i usually sudo su - jenkems when i gotta be jenkins for a while

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If only there was a way for an authorization service to tell if the principal initiating an action is a human being who is physically present in front of the computer

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

If only there was a way for an authorization service to tell if the principal initiating an action is a human being who is physically present in front of the computer

they do this with the automatic package installer thing in gnome. one of the problems is that it doesn't work over ssh

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I watched a demonstration of Qubes OS once where the presenter proudly showed that they were able to download and read a PDF file with only 14 clicks and launching 4 different VMs.

It was one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen. The whole system was just so enormously user hostile, yet the presenter was completely oblivious to this fact because it scratch some very deep sperg itch in just the right way.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

What I'm saying is that I'm a terrible person who goes to Linux conferences to anonymously kink shame Qubes users on dying internet comedy forums.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Also, I found out that only apps written for Wayland have no workaround.

such as

(not being sarcastic, is there someone out there ignoring X already?)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

moonshine is...... posted:

of course linus uses g+, probably the first person i've ever seen actually use it.

to be fair that post is from 6 years ago

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Dish posted:

linus doesn't understand why changing the time/timezone requires a system password? lol.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Kerberos-Infrastructure-HOWTO/time-sync.html

changing the time should probably need root. changing the timezone shouldn't

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Ubuntu's former community manager namedropped me in a podcast interview last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_d3abl9Lf8&t=3207s

Jono Bacon posted:

There are people who are critical of something, and I think that's fine. That's absolutely fine.

Like using Unity as an example again, there was a guy called Scott Ritchie in the Ubuntu community - was very involved in Wine. You know, the Windows emulator that isn't an emulator.

Scott was...not a fan of Unity...by any stretch. But he was incredibly constructive and he would make his points in a way that we could have a conversation. And we all respected him for that.

RIP Unity.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

moonshine is...... posted:

a few work buddies at lastjob were big on g+. i think they mostly just use it to share memes though.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

ShadowHawk posted:

Ubuntu's former community manager namedropped me in a podcast interview last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_d3abl9Lf8&t=3207s

RIP Unity.

it was a real POS

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

RIP Unity.

jono bacon is really not a good community manager. which is why he's now a branding consultant or something

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Suspicious Dish posted:

jono bacon is really not a good community manager. which is why he's now a branding consultant or something
He's a consulting community management person thing. Companies hire him to organize their internal or external communities.

Wrote an O'Reilly book called "The Art of Community"

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

RIP Unity.
nice

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

carry on then posted:

my university had multiuser solaris systems with thin clients

all the servers were named after star wars planets, i was frequently doing classwork on geonosis or kamino

I had a similar setup at high school except ours were named after stars

Sun Rays were pretty cool and so was ZFS but Solaris was kind of a pain to deal with otherwise.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the sun rays are really, really good, but only if they are hosted on solaris

sun released a linux version of the sun ray server software but it only runs on like rhel 4 or something equally decrepit, because nobody used it

We tried it on debian and it worked OK but Solaris worked a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

flatpak is pretty cool

no it’s not, it’s a terrible compromise because Linux distributions refused to reasonably version their APIs or make binary-compatibility guarantees

if you could build against a Fedora 27 SDK and use Fedora 26 & 27 features and get weak-linking behavior when your code runs on Fedora 25, that would be far, far better

that of course requires that Fedora 25-27 actually loving think about API versioning as a whole, as well as make upstream project developers think about it