Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

That's a surprisingly blatant throwing of one specific dude under the bus, jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

They did, but looking at the way the roster was constructed there were a bunch of red flags (which a lot of people pointed out).

There have been red flags for years with them consistently being a bad possession team but they somehow year after year converted well on their chances and Hank being Hank also kept them good.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

It's pretty impressive that the Rangers are making like Toronto and bracing their fans for a few years of intentional badness when they could just as easily be making like Toronto and spending 10 years being a few shades short of mediocre while trading away their 1st round picks at a massive discount and selling their fans on a vision of the future anchored by Luke Schenn, John Mitchell, and Luca Caputi.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
So I guess they must have tried and failed to trade Smith already huh?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ginette Reno posted:

There have been red flags for years with them consistently being a bad possession team but they somehow year after year converted well on their chances and Hank being Hank also kept them good.

this year (and last year to an extent) have been different in that they've been giving up a LOT of really high quality scoring chances. Used to be they'd give up a ton of shots and be a bad possession team but generally kept shots away from the front of the net and generated a lot of high quality chances themselves. Those two things have been changing lately for the worse so they just give up a ton of shots and don't take many because other teams are defending their chance on the rush too well

They also used to be a fast team but really aren't any more because when they hit the opposing blueline everyone starts coasting and expecting the perfect passing lanes to open up.

The whole demeanor of the team has just been changing a lot since a few years ago when they were a fast high scoring team

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Yeah, Holland has zero idea how to build a team in the cap era.

He totally does. It's "Sign players from a Michigan school to big, full NMC contracts" and pray.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

iospace posted:

He totally does. It's "Sign players from a Michigan school to big, full NMC contracts" and pray.

Jack Johnson's money problems are over!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So who's safe on the Rangers? I'd guess Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Shattenkirk, and Skjei are safe no matter what, but it's hard to say who else might be outside of them. Maybe Miller and Hayes due to age? They have expiring contracts though, so they might be prime rental candidates.

I imagine the "keep" list will be the guys you mentioned plus Miller OR Hayes, but not both. And I don't think it's necessarily a "safe" list, more of a "these guys are available but only if you really blow us away with your offer"

Also even though Henrik just gave his big interview about how he is happy to stay in NY for a rebuild, I'd be surprised if the Rangers aren't seeing what they could get for him.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
When's the last time a mid-season starting goaltender trade worked out?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

grack posted:

Come on down.....Ron Tugnutt?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

grack posted:

Devan Dubnyk from Arizona to Minny?

Fake edit: Actually I guess he might have been the backup in Arizona.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Khabibulin to the Lightning baby

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Does Kiprusoff count? Roloson to The Oilers?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Dwayne Roloson

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think Lundqvist is too old and has too many years left on his contract to really attract much attention

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Dwayne Roloson x2

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Luongo back to the Panthers

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Craig Anderson maybe?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I think more of trades where a team clearly out of the playoffs trades for a goalie for the next few years, as opposed to one's where a playoff team tries to get their immediate starter. I'm not sure how many of the latter have even been attempted in recent years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I think more of trades where a team clearly out of the playoffs trades for a goalie for the next few years, as opposed to one's where a playoff team tries to get their immediate starter. I'm not sure how many of the latter have even been attempted in recent years.

Ryan Miller to the Blues springs to mind as an obvious example/cautionary tale.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Yeah, kind of my point. I don't think Lundqvist is going to accept a trade to an also-ran with the expectation that that team will be a competitor in a few years.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Slappy Pappy posted:

I think it's just Zodijacky spamming the button.

I'm really playing the part of my Rick Nash avatar.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
The "falling off a cliff" thing was something that was thrown out by one of the reporters. Something like "can you explain why his game fell off a cliff"? It's not like Gorton pulled that out of his rear end. He did repeat that he couldn't explain why his game fell of a cliff but it still feels like Rosen is intentionally mis-characterizing that comment.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

dear rangers please send ryan mcdonagh to the caps for free while retaining 100% of his salary. thank you

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I like that the narrative is that his game fell off a cliff and not the entire career's worth of sample size that shows that he skates well enough to look pretty good for random 20 game stretches and then goes back to thinking he's bobby goddam orr and whoops he just tried to skate through 3 dudes to throw a 120 ft stretch pass and turned it over at the top of the circle again

y'all gave the rob schremp of defensemen 17 mil and now you have buyer's remorse ho hum

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 8, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I like that the narrative is that his game fell off a cliff and not the entire career's worth of sample size that shows that he skates well enough to look pretty good for ransom 20 game stretches and then goes back to thinking he's bobby goddam orr and whoops he just tried to skate through 3 dudes to throw a 120 ft stretch pass and turned it over at the top of the circle again

y'all gave the rob schremp of defensemen 17 mil and now you have buyer's remorse ho hum

yeah but at the end of the day ken holland is still your favorite teams GM :colbert:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Thufir posted:

Jack Johnson's money problems are over!

For real though, the second I heard Johnson had requested a trade I just assumed Holland was gonna make an offer.
It's weird because Holland actually did a decent job managing the transition from the Yzerman-Shanahan era to the Daysyuk-Zetterberg era, in addition to dealing with the imposition of the cap. But ever since about 2010 his decisions have been awful

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

and jeff gorton and glen sather run my second favorite team so maybe I'm just supposed to roll around in poo poo for the rest of my life go perds

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

clean ayers act posted:

For real though, the second I heard Johnson had requested a trade I just assumed Holland was gonna make an offer.
It's weird because Holland actually did a decent job managing the transition from the Yzerman-Shanahan era to the Daysyuk-Zetterberg era, in addition to dealing with the imposition of the cap. But ever since about 2010 his decisions have been awful

If only every GM could transition from two hall of famers he didn't draft to two hall of famers he didn't draft

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

OldSenileGuy posted:

I imagine the "keep" list will be the guys you mentioned plus Miller OR Hayes, but not both. And I don't think it's necessarily a "safe" list, more of a "these guys are available but only if you really blow us away with your offer"

I agree. Miller and Hayes are both good all-around players who are still pretty young (24/25), will be worth the term and value of their upcoming RFA contracts, and will still be able to play their roles on this team in a few years. Miller probably gets a comparable deal to Zibanejad, while Hayes probably gets less due to his lower point production this year.

Both of them will be good pieces if the Rangers try to compete within the next 1-3 years, and their trade value should stay strong, too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Grabner would be a great fit on the Pens if he could actually play LW (can he?) and JT Miller would also be good but the Rangers would probably want a gently caress load of assets for either to even consider dealing them to a Metro rival so that ain't happening. Also Miller is still young so I doubt he's even on the list of guys to be moved.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ginette Reno posted:

Grabner would be a great fit on the Pens if he could actually play LW (can he?) and JT Miller would also be good but the Rangers would probably want a gently caress load of assets for either to even consider dealing them to a Metro rival so that ain't happening. Also Miller is still young so I doubt he's even on the list of guys to be moved.

Miller is also a hometown guy in Pitt too right?

I don't think metro trades are out of the question for a team that knows their window is shut and need to bide their time while the division superstars get older.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'll take one zbad and maybe a mcd or shatty. I have a lethonen and some picks to offer. Yes, you can retain 50 percent on both.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/961678290074431488

Bye bitch

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

Miller is also a hometown guy in Pitt too right?

I don't think metro trades are out of the question for a team that knows their window is shut and need to bide their time while the division superstars get older.

Yeah. And Rangers/Pens trades have happened before, it's not unprecedented.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

What would the Penguins offer for Miller? They don't seem to have any great prospects or players much younger than Miller. He's only 24 so he's not moving for pure futures - it'd have to be a good hockey trade.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

What would the Penguins offer for Miller? They don't seem to have any great prospects or players much younger than Miller. He's only 24 so he's not moving for pure futures - it'd have to be a good hockey trade.

That the Rangers would actually want? Probably something like Sprong and a first, but I doubt that would be enough to entice the Rangers to move Miller. Apart from that they don't have much in the way of young talent not already in the NHL and what talent they do have is in the goalie position. I doubt the Rangers would be interested in Jarry or Filip Gustavsson.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm not sure Grabner cares what wing he plays because he's most valuable on a breakaway

he can't play the boards or anything anyways so it's irrelevant

e: a coach that can get Miller back to playing more aggressively could get more out of him. He's gotten too complacent, doesn't throw the body like he used to, and spends all his time skating into the zone, pulling up, and often losing the puck

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

I'm not sure Grabner cares what wing he plays because he's most valuable on a breakaway

he can't play the boards or anything anyways so it's irrelevant

e: a coach that can get Miller back to playing more aggressively could get more out of him. He's gotten too complacent, doesn't throw the body like he used to, and spends all his time skating into the zone, pulling up, and often losing the puck

Perhaps if we could splice Hagelin and Grabner...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If only every GM could transition from two hall of famers he didn't draft to two hall of famers he didn't draft

Eh, I get where you're coming from but alot of people felt that the Wings were going to fall off a cliff after Yzerman and Shanahan left. At the time there were still questions as to how good Datsyuk and Zetterberg really were. "Dat-suck" was a fun nickname tossed around by some Wings fans around that time. He also made some genuinely good deals- trading for Stuart, signing Drake and Rafalski, bringing Bertuzzi back (the first time). And his cap management was at the time considered prudent(of course, this was before the NHL retroactively decided that players who retire early still count against the team's cap).

Don't get me wrong, I've wanted him gone for years now, but I'll give credit where its due.

• Locked thread