Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'd do miller for sprong and a first i guess. gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I'm not sure Grabner cares what wing he plays because he's most valuable on a breakaway

he can't play the boards or anything anyways so it's irrelevant

e: a coach that can get Miller back to playing more aggressively could get more out of him. He's gotten too complacent, doesn't throw the body like he used to, and spends all his time skating into the zone, pulling up, and often losing the puck

Well some guys become Tanner Glass levels of bad at breaking pucks out of the zone when put on their off wing. Hornqvist struggles a lot on LW with breakouts for example.

a false posted:

i'd do miller for sprong and a first i guess. gently caress it

We'd need to also find some 3c/4c first tbh (come home Cullen) because gently caress if I wanna go into the playoffs with Sheahan/Rowney as the bottom six center depth

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
we'll add boo nieves if you add a 2nd

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

we'll add boo nieves if you add a 2nd

*Jim Rutherford strokes beard he doesn't have thoughtfully*

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ginette Reno posted:

*Jim Rutherford strokes beard he doesn't have thoughtfully*

He needs to channel the Jedi energy he had a couple years ago to get Miller and Nieves for Reaves and a 2025 7th.

Rob Scuderi for Trevor Daley get the gently caress out of here.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
This whole Smith situation got me thinking, what’s the largest waiver claim contract in terms of AAV? Could this be a record if someone takes him?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jovial Cow posted:

This whole Smith situation got me thinking, what’s the largest waiver claim contract in terms of AAV? Could this be a record if someone takes him?

I really can't think of any team who would take him. My guess is he's pressbox bound?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
alas ken holland's secret genius of spending to the cap on a 14th place team reveals itself

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

If he goes through re-entry it's half the cap, but for the amount of years, it does seem like he'll be buried in the AHL until it makes sense to buy him out.

I don't think the Rangers are gonna deal guys like McD and Zucc, but Nash/Grabner/Holden have to be gone.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

If he goes through re-entry it's half the cap, but for the amount of years, it does seem like he'll be buried in the AHL until it makes sense to buy him out.

I don't think the Rangers are gonna deal guys like McD and Zucc, but Nash/Grabner/Holden have to be gone.

I thought the reentry 50% thing was eliminated with the last CBA?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Hmmm, perhaps it was and I've missed that.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

clean ayers act posted:

Eh, I get where you're coming from but alot of people felt that the Wings were going to fall off a cliff after Yzerman and Shanahan left. At the time there were still questions as to how good Datsyuk and Zetterberg really were. "Dat-suck" was a fun nickname tossed around by some Wings fans around that time. He also made some genuinely good deals- trading for Stuart, signing Drake and Rafalski, bringing Bertuzzi back (the first time). And his cap management was at the time considered prudent(of course, this was before the NHL retroactively decided that players who retire early still count against the team's cap).

Don't get me wrong, I've wanted him gone for years now, but I'll give credit where its due.

Samuelsson and Cleary were initially astute signings, as well, in a cap era. The Schneider trade worked well, too. Yes, he inherited some good pieces but the 2006-2009 teams were beastly and it has a lot to do with depth work. Detroit also lost Franzen and Rafalski sooner than expected, two pretty major pieces for the team. Buuuut for every good signing, there’s also a Hatcher, Modano, Weiss, and Nielsen.

That said, Holland’s two major problems are: (1) having no plan in place for the post-Lidstrom era aside from a desperate attempt to sign Suter, (2) long-term expensive loyalty contracts for everyone.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

We'd need to also find some 3c/4c first tbh (come home Cullen) because gently caress if I wanna go into the playoffs with Sheahan/Rowney as the bottom six center depth

I was eyeing up David Desharnais for that to be honest. 1 million expiring contract Rags can retain 50%. Adds some depth in the 3c/4c area and pushes Reaves even further from the roster. Grabner could work out as well if you shove him onto that 4th line. JT Miller probably costs too much to get and then how do you re-sign him along with some of the other UFA/RFAs coming up? Granted cap is going up, but something worth considering.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

It was. Plus ending a player to the minors doesn't clear a whole contract off the books anymore. It eliminates base salary plus $375,000 so $1,025,000 comes off the Rangers' cap if Smith gets sent to Hartford. The Rangers would have $3.325M of dead cap space. I doubt Smith is reassigned, this was just done in the hopes someone takes a gamble on him (and to slightly increase his trade value more in the future because he can be reassigned without having to be waived if he gets traded).

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

if the rangers trade anything to the pens I will have a fit I tell you what

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Matt Zerella posted:

Correct - re-entry waivers no longer exists.

Starting in 1977, there was a waiver draft to start every season. Teams could protect a full roster - 18 skaters and 2 goalies, with rookies exempt - and teams could select any unprotected players, to promote competitive balance and let players go to an NHL team there they could play. It was also to prevent NHL teams from stashing NHL talents in the AHL, but that part of it became obsolete, along with re-entry waivers some years later. The waiver draft last happened in 2003, and re-entry waivers were eliminated in the 2013 CBA.

Waivers are favorable to players - if their team doesn't want them in the NHL, any team who will keep them on an NHL roster can take them. If that team wants them back, they don't need to wait 24 hour or risk going to another team when their NHL team wants to bring them back to the big league.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is Ryan Miller still in the NHL or did he get hurt/retire?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I think they absolutely will deal McD and Zucc if the right deal comes. Those are their two biggest assets now besides pending UFA's and you don't throw a big press conference about how you're going to blow up the team to just trade a few pending UFAs

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
He's the Ducks backup goalie.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
my one sole hope is that Chytil becomes the next Pastrnak

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Man I got all excited because 150 posts since this morning and all there's been so far is a stinkin' letter to the fans?

If the Rags aren't going to be the ones to beat the Caps in the playoffs, I trust that they will make a lopsided trade to the Pens that ensures this glorious Metro division tradition continues.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

my one sole hope is that Chytil becomes the next Pastrnak

he's going to be better than pastrnak

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/961731415615426562

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

i actually feel like sheahan was a surprisingly good pick up. haven't dug into the stats but watching games he doesn't really seem like that much of a drop off from bonino. cullen was a great 4C, but i could live with rowney as a 4C if we're able to get reaves out of the lineup

how about maatta + 87 gallons of crosby's sweat for mcdonagh???

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I feel like the tone of the rags message is more along these lines....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280yPTyei0U

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

glynnenstein posted:

I feel like the tone of the rags message is more along these lines....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280yPTyei0U

:lol:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I was eyeing up David Desharnais for that to be honest. 1 million expiring contract Rags can retain 50%. Adds some depth in the 3c/4c area and pushes Reaves even further from the roster. Grabner could work out as well if you shove him onto that 4th line. JT Miller probably costs too much to get and then how do you re-sign him along with some of the other UFA/RFAs coming up? Granted cap is going up, but something worth considering.

Oh ho ho if you think DD has any value for a playoff run

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I feel like Peter Chiarelli needs to keep his cards a little closer to his chest

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
desharnais has been about as pedestrian as i can remember any player being in the entire time i’ve watched the rangers, such a terminal warm body that i rarely if ever catch even the faintest glimmer of intent (to score, play defense, or anything else) when he’s on the ice, if i even notice him at all

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If you sneeze on him he falls over.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

If you sneeze on him he falls over.

Ahh good to see the Rags are getting the full DD Experience

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

DD will come out of nowhere and make a great pass or score a goal, but whenever you watch him with the puck it seems like he's just turning it over with no pressure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I saw the all caps thread title and 170 new posts and I was all excited for a bunch of Rangers trades. I know they’ll eventually happen, but sad that I still have to wait.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

McDonagh got traded for Lundqvist. They're both disappointed about it.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

FIRE BERGEVIN JESUS loving CHRIST

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yay flyera

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
keith kinkaid's 5-hole is automatic

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evander Kane and Robin Lehner for Lundqvist, do it. DO IT NOW!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

bizarre deformity posted:

Evander Kane and Robin Lehner for Lundqvist, do it. DO IT NOW!

why not just get miller back lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JawKnee posted:

why not just get miller back lol

Miller is happy with his wife and little baby boy in Anaheim, there was an article about it in the Buffalo News the other day.

Anyway, that trade would be terrible because Lundqvist is like 45 or whatever. We could get better assets for Kane/Lehner/whoever.

• Locked thread