Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Not me, but my husband's co-worker at their helpdesk had a user ask him whether .com was spelled .c-o-m or .c-0-m. I think if you've reached that point in your life, you need to be bricked into your cubicle like in that Poe story.

:yotj: Congratulations! Now burn down the building on your way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Thanatosian posted:

I am amazed that Fiserv isn't the least-competent. We have been discussing whether or not we think their support people are deliberately sabotaging us to get us to switch to managed services.

You're gonna have to work hard to get me to believe Fiserv isn't pants-on-head dumb. See: Datasafe

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A ticket comes in for a normal routine outage. The normal process is followed. Department A is notified and is given ownership of the ticket because they fix it 95% of the time, Department B is notified because even though they fix it a measly 5% of the time, they're standing next to the equipment and it takes 10 seconds to check if it's working and can save 2 hours of everyone's time. Department B gets back to us with result of their investigation: no trouble found with Department B equipment, please refer to Department A for further investigation. Still routine and completely not surprising.

A few minutes later, I'm notified that Department A is requesting B's assistance. Reason: no trouble found with Department B equipment, please refer to Department A for further investigation.

It was a a straight copy/paste of the other department's update with no further justification added. I briefly thought about how much snark I could get away with, and sent it back to Department A with the reason: Forwarding to A as per A's request.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The department pulling this poo poo...I don't understand them. They used to be real good and on the ball. Now they're straight up negligent and combative. They hide information to avoid taking ownership of outages. They're ignoring their own director who's telling them to knock that poo poo off. They don't even read the tickets anymore, and instead look for any excuse to stop the outage clock to pad the metrics for a different department altogether. They were even caught editing times on closed tickets without justification just to make fix times look better, so now they no longer have permissions to make changes to closed tickets anymore.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic posted:

I’m in the midst of an employer-paid virtual course on Avaya IP Office, and their setup is pretty bad.

Oh lord, one of the lab exercises is setting up voicemail pro auto attendants and testing them, but this is all using softphones on a remote desktop with no audio. So you can’t actually record anything but blank silence and you can’t hear anything when you dial in.

Really showcasing your world-leading communication and collaboration technology here Avaya.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Avaya should have ended when they went into chapter 11. IP Office is polishing a decayed turd at this point and they'd have been much better turning Aura into a SME-level product. Instead they've decided they need about a million different platforms running different code bases from different developer teams.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Avaya should have ended when they went into chapter 11. IP Office is polishing a decayed turd at this point and they'd have been much better turning Aura into a SME-level product. Instead they've decided they need about a million different platforms running different code bases from different developer teams.

my current job is moving to avaya, but having a VAR handle everything, how hosed are we on a 1 to 10 scale? Our main business is as a call center.

Also, I am looking for a new job already so I don't care too much, especially since during my limited time here I will have no ownership of the phone system.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Uhh maybe you’re fine if you’re on Aura rather than IP Office, other than the fact you will most certainly have paid a fortune for it.

The endpoints are poo poo in terms of quality and features for what they cost but I never really use my desk phone, and I didn’t pay for it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I actually like IP office as a phone system for small / medium businesses. Visual voicemail works nice, clients like using it, programming it through the Manager thick client is really nice and easy.

It’s way over-priced for what it is, but so is everything aimed at that market.

Their partner training stuff is a complete racket though.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Though fiserv changes monthly as they buy competitor products, absorb 10% support staff and gut the rest. Then that support staff trains fiserv people.

So every new thing they role out has three months - one year where it's total and absolute poo poo, followed by it being ok again.

While I'm sure they right the ship with some of their stuff (some Fiserv stuff is absolutely best-in-class and, weird as it sounds, a joy to work with) this isn't always the case. See: Corillian/Voyager. CheckFree bought Corillian in early 2007, everyone was thrilled. Fiserv bought CheckFree a couple months later, and most of the original Corillian folks were either made redundant or got out quickly after seeing the writing on the wall. Fiserv was left with a monster codebase that they didn't understand, so they outsourced most of the dev and professional services work to India. There's been little to no innovation on the platform since, it runs like poo poo at scale, and making any change to it (all banks want their own custom touch) costs dump trucks full of money.

Before I left the bank they told us something like a $10MM overall price tag to bring forward customizations and upgrade to the latest version, which had only minor new features that didn't really apply to our customer base.

Last I heard, their OLB customers had been mostly carved up by a few other OLB shops and they were thinking about putting it on life support.

Thanatosian posted:

I am amazed that Fiserv isn't the least-competent. We have been discussing whether or not we think their support people are deliberately sabotaging us to get us to switch to managed services.

My worst experiences have been with FIS, but Fiserv is a pretty close second. Recently JHA has been pissing me right off, but generally speaking they're not awful and certainly the lesser of three evils.

At some point I'll share some of the ridiculous stuff I've run into but I think it may have to wait until I switch industries (no idea when that'll be, life is Real Good where I'm at), as Financial Services is notoriously tight-knit, word gets around fast and I'm not looking to burn any bridges.

E:

Irritated Goat posted:

You're gonna have to work hard to get me to believe Fiserv isn't pants-on-head dumb. See: Datasafe

:stonklol:

Probably the worst product that Fiserv sells. I'm so sorry.

nullfunction fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 8, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

RIP Vile Rat.

Seconded.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

RIP Vile Rat.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/11-rip-vile-rat/

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

a bunch of people posted:

fiserv

loving triggered, as the kids say. Anyone used Stone River WCMS? That's....oh boy. Ask me about their poo poo software running SMB1 over WAN, and by WAN I mean to a datacenter in Florida or Pennsylvania from California. On second thought, don't ask me because it's too early in the day to crack the scotch.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Entropic posted:

I actually like IP office as a phone system for small / medium businesses. Visual voicemail works nice, clients like using it, programming it through the Manager thick client is really nice and easy.

It’s way over-priced for what it is, but so is everything aimed at that market.

Their partner training stuff is a complete racket though.

I really like the IP Office Basic/Partner mode. I know many IP office people hate it, but I like it. It is a perfect replacement for small businesses with basic telecom needs that are coming from a older Partner system. Many of our branch locations use one.

You don't even need to use the Manager client to configure Basic mode. The web interface is sufficient for most tasks. Though you can use the Manager client if you want.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dragonshardz posted:

RIP Vile Rat.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

stevewm posted:

I really like the IP Office Basic/Partner mode. I know many IP office people hate it, but I like it. It is a perfect replacement for small businesses with basic telecom needs that are coming from a older Partner system. Many of our branch locations use one.

You don't even need to use the Manager client to configure Basic mode. The web interface is sufficient for most tasks. Though you can use the Manager client if you want.

Most of what I’ve ended up doing in my current job is to do with installing and supporting Essential edition IPO running the on 500v2 chassis. We generally install them with a little Mikrotik router so we have remote access on the WAN port via our VPN and between Manager and the System Status application it’s super easy to administer remotely. Once we’ve got a site up and running we rarely have to actually go to site for anything that doesn’t involve physically cross-connecting extensions.

My only bad experiences with IPO have been when it was programmed by someone, usually the client themselves, who didn’t quite know what they were doing.

Like the site where they didn’t want to have a prefix digit to dial outside the system, and didn’t have line appearances, and didn’t plan their internal extension numbering well, and ended up not able to phone certain people because the first four digits of their phone number matched an internal extension. :v:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

RIP Vile Rat.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in...

... with a job offer working with a large bank. Its not helpdesk so no more fixing printers or crap like that.

Plus the 50% pay raise is nice too!

:yotj:

Ill be supporting one or two internal apps. By supporting them I mean calling the vendor when it breaks.

Congratulations man, that's excellent!

ATB?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

nullfunction posted:

While I'm sure they right the ship with some of their stuff (some Fiserv stuff is absolutely best-in-class and, weird as it sounds, a joy to work with) this isn't always the case. See: Corillian/Voyager. CheckFree bought Corillian in early 2007, everyone was thrilled. Fiserv bought CheckFree a couple months later, and most of the original Corillian folks were either made redundant or got out quickly after seeing the writing on the wall. Fiserv was left with a monster codebase that they didn't understand, so they outsourced most of the dev and professional services work to India. There's been little to no innovation on the platform since, it runs like poo poo at scale, and making any change to it (all banks want their own custom touch) costs dump trucks full of money.

Before I left the bank they told us something like a $10MM overall price tag to bring forward customizations and upgrade to the latest version, which had only minor new features that didn't really apply to our customer base.

Last I heard, their OLB customers had been mostly carved up by a few other OLB shops and they were thinking about putting it on life support.

My worst experiences have been with FIS, but Fiserv is a pretty close second. Recently JHA has been pissing me right off, but generally speaking they're not awful and certainly the lesser of three evils.

At some point I'll share some of the ridiculous stuff I've run into but I think it may have to wait until I switch industries (no idea when that'll be, life is Real Good where I'm at), as Financial Services is notoriously tight-knit, word gets around fast and I'm not looking to burn any bridges.

E:

Yeah, I really want to tell a story of something they hosed up so much they had a whole loving team of people at our beck and call for a week, with by far the fastest support I've ever gotten from them. I think they were scared we were going to sue them (I'm not convinced we shouldn't). But it'll have to wait until I'm not working in the industry anymore.

Right now, they left me hanging on a software issue that is going to cause problems with people's payroll tomorrow, so I have to cancel plans I had tonight and come in four and a half hours early tomorrow to try to get it loving fixed. I was making noise about this all goddamn week, they waited until today to get back to me, and instead of fixing it, broke it worse.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Old lovely inherited rack inside an office, loud as poo poo and at full capacity.

My handiwork in a shiny new locked cabinet behind the front desk.

The cabinet is settled into a recess that used to house power equipment from the 70s. There is a nice 10 foot brain stem leading to the patch panel on the wall. The whole cabinet wheels out 6 feet to allow easy access to the recess / back of cabinet.

gently caress you awful networking, get the gently caress out of here!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Got some neat patches and some new cables, gonna fix up the poo poo closet here.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Old lovely inherited rack inside an office, loud as poo poo and at full capacity.

My handiwork in a shiny new locked cabinet behind the front desk.

The cabinet is settled into a recess that used to house power equipment from the 70s. There is a nice 10 foot brain stem leading to the patch panel on the wall. The whole cabinet wheels out 6 feet to allow easy access to the recess / back of cabinet.

gently caress you awful networking, get the gently caress out of here!

Do I get fries with that?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

Oh do I have a FIS story for all of you.

I started at a bank 2 yrs ago, and I found out last year that for more than 2 years - we'd been billed around...$30k extra for the connection to FIS which was supposed to be a 10mb circuit. Instead, they were giving us 6.

When I found out about it, they denied it for about 3 months - literal radio silence to emails including me escalating further and further with them and including more and more management up the chain on our side due to lack of response, and then basically said "so, how do you want this? do you want free service for the next 12 months, or a check?" response from senior mgmt: check.

Typically :yotj: part? Of course I didn't see any prominent bonus or salary increase from literally getting the company $30k and am pretty much ready to look elsewhere.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 9, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Entropic posted:

My only bad experiences with IPO have been when it was programmed by someone, usually the client themselves, who didn’t quite know what they were doing.

That's why I like Basic mode... It operates like a key system which just about everyone is familiar with. It emulates the old Avaya Partner ACS systems, so 2 digit extensions starting at 10 by default. I don't move far from the default config.. Plug it in, change the number of lines, define which analog station port is the paging output, name the extensions, and done. "Programming" consists of clicking a handful of checkboxes in a web GUI. Hard to screw it up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AT&T down for anyone else?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

nullfunction posted:

Tell me about it. I don't think I'd be this annoyed if it wasn't for the fact the browser based version installs like 80 loving "modules" and takes an hour even without leaving the network. :sigh: There's other stuff but that's at least slightly easier to pin down a possible location so I'll keep quiet.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Found out our new center has their gear mounted above the toilet. I suspect this will go swimmingly, pun intended.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

lambeth posted:

Found out our new center has their gear mounted above the toilet. I suspect this will go swimmingly, pun intended.

Now I'm just imaging the poop particles in the network jacks and :stonklol:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Irritated Goat posted:

Now I'm just imaging the poop particles in the network jacks and :stonklol:

Flushing the DNS will be a regular necessity.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Now you can hook the toilet tubes to the internet tubes and shitpost directly.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Antioch posted:

Congratulations man, that's excellent!

ATB?

Servus. Have a close friend who recommended me for the position.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

lambeth posted:

Well, it worked for Linus Tech Tips for, like, two years.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

Servus. Have a close friend who recommended me for the position.

Oh poo poo you're coming to work with meeeeeee!
I've never worked with a goon before. When do you start, I'll buy you lunch.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Antioch posted:

Oh poo poo you're coming to work with meeeeeee!
I've never worked with a goon before. When do you start, I'll buy you lunch.

Should be by end of month. I have to get bonded, background check and all that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, how many Credit Union goons are there?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

We also did Benghazi :(

We did a lot more than Benghazi.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
At what point do you consider it appropriate to put a certification title in your LinkedIn profile? I think it's tacky seeing "Joe Blow, A+ N+ ITIL" but definitely acceptable to have "Jim Expert CCIE #69690" or whatever.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Anything relevant to what you want to do moving forward, so you're a network admin and want to keep climbing that chain? Remove A+/N+ but definitely have your CCNA/CCNP in there.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

yes but caro was also our syrian branch of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Bigass Moth posted:

At what point do you consider it appropriate to put a certification title in your LinkedIn profile? I think it's tacky seeing "Joe Blow, A+ N+ ITIL" but definitely acceptable to have "Jim Expert CCIE #69690" or whatever.

Never. :fuckoff: