Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ikioi is the other sekitori who's a famously good karaoke singer, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kenning posted:

Ikioi is the other sekitori who's a famously good karaoke singer, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75sd3LtWyCc

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Q: Why is that very large man singing a love song to his iron?

A: Japan

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dudes a legend. That video has been around a while though, so probably a repost.

Yeah Ikioi does amazing enka. The most classically trained out of all of them for sure. Harumafuji is/was also pretty talented, and Kakuryu surprised everyone with a very nice bass voice in the Hakkiyoi video.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

Dudes a legend. That video has been around a while though, so probably a repost.

Yeah Ikioi does amazing enka. The most classically trained out of all of them for sure. Harumafuji is/was also pretty talented, and Kakuryu surprised everyone with a very nice bass voice in the Hakkiyoi video.

Shamelessly nicked from Sumo Forum. I was actually trying to find a video on a jungyo bus where Hakuho starts singing on the bus mic before handing over to Ikioi - if anyone's seen this, please post!

Lol, I watched the Hakkiyoi video today while searching for the above. Oh Lady Gaga...

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
So, I don't know if anyone in this thread would be familiar with a manga artist called Gengoroh Tagame. He's pretty well known as one of only a few manga creators in Japan who is both openly gay and writes explicity for a gay male audience - most often erotica, but recently also some family dramas. One of his most recent books is 'My Brother's Husband', about a man who must confront his own prejudices when Mike, his estranged and recently deceased twin brother's Canadian husband, comes to pay his respects to the family:

The book has turned out to be unexpectedly popular, enough so that NHK has commissioned a three-part live adaptation to air next month:

You may ask why I'm posting this in the sumo thread. If so, you may want to take a closer look at Mike there.

Baruto

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Huh, that's pretty cool! I've seen that manga mentioned somewhere recently, but had no context for it.

Here he is with Gengoroh Tagame, the mangaka:

https://twitter.com/Baruto_official/status/941994472212070400

I hadn't really known that much about Baruto (beyond his sumo career), but doing some reading, he seems like a super chill dude.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
He's also fought in MMA and done fairly well in it, beating a few experienced fighters before getting way overmatched against a guy who was a top 5 heavyweight for about a decade. He could probably be a legit professional, except that he would have to drop to 265 lbs.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Baruto has a giggly teddy bear personality so holy poo poo is that a perfect casting. That rocks.

Didn't recognize him at all until you said to take the closer look - just about fell out of my chair.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Got some juicy (if you’re a weirdo traditionalist) first hand gossip for y’all. My wife was at the next station over doing whatever and saw Kisenosato. Apparently he was wearing *SHOCK* A HOODY. NOT VERY YOKOZUNA LIKE!

He was with his wife and kid. Asked that people not take pics, had bodyguards with him.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Scandalous!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

his wife and kid.

Wait, what the gently caress?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Dr.Radical posted:

Asked that people not take pics

Yeah I would probably just take the pic

Dr.Radical posted:

had bodyguards with him.

and then run away. What kind of bodyguards do sumo wrestlers have? Double sumo wrestlers?

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Omnikin posted:

What kind of bodyguards do sumo wrestlers have?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/world/asia/06sumo.html

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

Wait, what the gently caress?

Lol a cursory search says he’s not married. Wonder who it could’ve been then

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man you gotta be living some sort of life to be mistaken for an actively training rikishi.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Lol a cursory search says he’s not married. Wonder who it could’ve been then

That's why my jaw dropped when I read your original post! Everything I've seen on the subject suggests he's shy with the ladies.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

That's why my jaw dropped when I read your original post! Everything I've seen on the subject suggests he's shy with the ladies.

I think it’s most possible it was another rikishi and not just some other huge famous guy. But apparently it was a rikishi famous enough to draw a crowd and have bodyguards. I wish I was there to see who it was but I actually missed it by minutes. I was on my way home from work, got a haircut at that station, got a message from my wife saying she was there and I thought “Meh, we’ll just meet at home later.” and went home. If I had met her, I would have seen whoever it was. I didn’t know Kise wasn’t married before I looked, it’s pretty standard for them to be married by his age. Come to think of it, I wonder how many Yokozuna in modern history have not been married when they made the rank

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

I think it’s most possible it was another rikishi and not just some other huge famous guy. But apparently it was a rikishi famous enough to draw a crowd and have bodyguards. I wish I was there to see who it was but I actually missed it by minutes. I was on my way home from work, got a haircut at that station, got a message from my wife saying she was there and I thought “Meh, we’ll just meet at home later.” and went home. If I had met her, I would have seen whoever it was. I didn’t know Kise wasn’t married before I looked, it’s pretty standard for them to be married by his age. Come to think of it, I wonder how many Yokozuna in modern history have not been married when they made the rank

Harumafuji maybe, if he's still slumming around in Japan? He's got 2 kids though.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Since the next basho is coming up, I was wondering what Tochinoshin needs to do to get promoted to Ozeki? Would 11-4/12-3 be enough, or does he need to win the yusho again?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Konstantin posted:

Since the next basho is coming up, I was wondering what Tochinoshin needs to do to get promoted to Ozeki? Would 11-4/12-3 be enough, or does he need to win the yusho again?

Extremely unlikely to happen, I think. First of all he may not even be sekiwake with Ichinojo's 10-5 at M1. If he's sekiwake he'd technically be considered with 10 wins for the typical threshold of 33 over 3 basho, but considering 23 of those would be from tournaments at M6 and M3 I think it's more likely they'll stick him in at komusubi and see if it's not just a one off.

E: looking on sumodb it looks like it would be unprecedented in the modern era even if he is placed at sekiwake. So he'd likely still have to score 19 over the next two basho with the second ranked at sekiwake.

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 26, 2018

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Fryhtaning posted:

Harumafuji maybe, if he's still slumming around in Japan? He's got 2 kids though.

She says she knows Kisenosato’s face and swears it was him. I dunno, maybe he was with other family? This was in Chiba, not far from his native Ibaraki. We’ll never know and it bugs me

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

She says she knows Kisenosato’s face and swears it was him. I dunno, maybe he was with other family? This was in Chiba, not far from his native Ibaraki. We’ll never know and it bugs me

I was gonna say - did she know it was his wife, or did she assume when it could have been a sister and a niece/nephew?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
She just assumed. She doesn’t know anything about their personal life unless there’s some scandal and it’s on the news

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Banzuke is up!

code:
 East                    Rank                   West

Kakuryu                Yokozuna                Hakuho
Kisenosato             Yokozuna
Takayasu                Ozeki                  Goeido
Mitakeumi              Sekiwake                Tochinoshin
Ichinojo               Komosubi                Chiyotairyu
Endo                      M1                   Tamawashi
Arawashi                  M2                   Takarafuji
Kotoshogiku               M3                   Takakeisho
Shohozan                  M4                   Shodai
Chiyomaru                 M5                   Onosho
Kaisei                    M6                   Hokutofuji
Abi                       M7                   Yoshikaze
Kagayaki                  M8                   Daiesho
Okinoumi                  M9                   Ryuden
Chiyoshoma                M10                  Chiyonokuni
Tochiozan                 M11                  Yutakayama
Ishiura                   M12                  Kotoyuki
Daishomaru                M13                  Asanoyama
Ikioi                     M14                  Nishikigi
Sokokurai                 M15                  Miyogiryu
Daiamami                  M16                  Hidenoumi
Aoiyama                   M17
Abi and Ryuden look like they've been over-promoted, so I hope they don't get creamed too badly. I'm interested to see if Kagayaki is able to bring some of the more disciplined sumo he was showing at Hatsu up into the mid-maegashira. If Ichinojo can maintain some of the momentum he's been building we could have a really exciting showing from the S/K ranks.

Also totally possible that we get no yokozuna through all 15 days. I'd expect it's even possible we get none on day 1. That makes it way more likely for Tochinoshin to go double-digits again (assuming his knee holds up), and maybe even Mitakeumi, if he can stay solid through week 2. Bruce over at Tachiai.org has been talking about sumo being in a moment of transition for over a year now, and this could be a big basho for that.

Okay so, let's do fantasy sumo! Same draft rules as before, choose 3 guys from each rank. I'll use the wire from last basho, and fit in any new people the same way I did last time. Just go ahead and submit your roster when you sign up, it'll be easier that way. Based on kyujo in the Y/O ranks as we approach day 1 we might modify the teams, but maybe Y/O will just matter less if everyone ends up with either Goeido or Takayasu. We'll see!

I'll post my own roster tonight, after I've had some time with the banzuke.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This should be in order

Y/O: Takayasu /Hakuho/Kakuryu
S/K: Goeido/Mitakeumi/Chiyotairyu
M1-5: Endo/Tamawashi/Shodai
M6-10: Ryuden/Hokutofuji/Abi
M11+: Ishiura/Kotoyuki/Asanoyama

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
:unsmith: Tochinoshin made sekiwake after all

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I'll jump in the fantasy sumo if that's alright, here are my picks:

Y/O: Hakuho/Takayasu/Goeido
S/K: Tochinoshin/Mitakeumi/Chiyotairyu
M1-5: Takarafuji/Shohozan/Tamawashi
M6-10: Yoshikaze/Okinoumi/Chiyonokuni
M11+: Kotoyuki/Sokokurai/Tochiozan

Big toe injuries be damned, you don't bet against Hakuho!

Edit: @Vargatron I just went off Kenning's message, 3 posts up:

Kenning posted:

Okay so, let's do fantasy sumo! Same draft rules as before, choose 3 guys from each rank. I'll use the wire from last basho, and fit in any new people the same way I did last time. Just go ahead and submit your roster when you sign up, it'll be easier that way. Based on kyujo in the Y/O ranks as we approach day 1 we might modify the teams, but maybe Y/O will just matter less if everyone ends up with either Goeido or Takayasu. We'll see!

...and used Martytoof's formatting.

Edit2: Updated picks based on injury reports

Y/O: Takayasu/Kakuryuu/Goeido
S/K: Mitakeumi/Chiyotairyu/Ichinojo
M1-5: Takarafuji/Shohozan/Tamawashi
M6-10: Yoshikaze/Okinoumi/Chiyonokuni
M11+: Kotoyuki/Sokokurai/Tochiozan

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 9, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can somebody please post the draft rules for fantasy again?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also, here's the post with the full set of rules.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Y/O Takayasu/Hakuho/Kaku
S/K /Ichinojo/Mitakeumi/Chiyo
M1-5: Shodai/Endo/Takarafuki
M6-10: Hokutofuji/Okinoumi/Chiyomaru
M11: Ikioi/Aoiyama/Ishiura

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 10, 2018

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Y/O: Takayasu/Goeido/Kakuryu
S/K: Mitakeumi/Ichinojo/Chiyotairyu
M1-5: Endo/Takarafuji/Shodai
M6-10: Abi/Yoshikaze/Hokutofuji
M11+: Aoiyama/Tochiozan/Daishomaru

anakha fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 9, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O: Kisenosato/Takayasu/Goeido
S/K: Tochinoshin/Ichinojo/Mitakeumi
M1-5: Endo/Shodai/Chiyomaru
M6-10: Abi/Daiesho/Ryuden
M11+: Ikioi/Asanoyama/Ishiura

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Takayasu / Kakuryu /Goeido
S/K: Ichinojo / Tochinoshin / Mitakeumi
M1-5: Takakeisho / Tamawashi / Chiyomaru
M6-10: Yoshikaze / Hokutofuji / Daiesho
M11+: Tochiozan / Ikioi / Ishiura

Looks like it's getting a little crowded up here on the Tochinoshin-train, guys!

Martytoof posted:

This should be in order

S/K: Goeido/Mitakeumi/Chiyotairyu

I think you'll find that Goeido is an O not an S/K, if that changes your plans at all.

sivad fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 9, 2018

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oops, please amend my pick:

S/K: Mitakeumi/Chiyotairyu/Ichinojo

Thanks for catching that. I looked it over twice and still missed.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Can I play too?

Y/O: Takayasu / Hakuho/ Goeido
S/K: Tochinoshin/Mitakeumi/ Ichinojo
M1-5: Onosho/ Shohozan / Shodai
M6-10: Kaisei/ Kagayaki / Abi
M11+: Aoiyama / Ikioi / Tochiozan

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tachiai is reporting that Onosho will probably be kyujo for Haru. Poor kid, hope he can take enough time to heal up properly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Time to wheel out the dusty "oh no show" wordplay.

*claps hands* well my work here is done

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Martytoof posted:

Time to wheel out the dusty "oh no show" wordplay.

*claps hands* well my work here is done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcQeeWV1qYQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

It's my thread and I'll play if I drat well want.

Y/O: Takayasu / Goeido / Hakuho
S/K: Mitakeumi/ Ichinojo/ Tochinoshin
M1-5: Takakeisho / Tamawashi / Shodai
M6-10: Hokutofuji/ Okinoumi / Yoshikaze
M11+: Ikioi / Aoiyama / Tochiozan