Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Preen Dog posted:

IANAL but still I post. If judges are anything like lawyers (or cops or officers or any authority job), they don't like being told what to do or what to think. They sought authority because it makes them feel powerful or safe.

Which means a smart MtD would read like: "Honorable and smart judge, please consider dismissing the complaint against us if you think our reasons have merit. Either way, thank you for your time."

The CiG one sounded more like: "Hey judge, it's obvious the complaint against us is without merit. Clearly it should be dismissed, otherwise I would not have filed this motion. I have listed the reasons so you may come to the same conclusion."

I want to believe the judge is thinking: "Let me show you who the decider is."

Which is why Derek is saying CIG know they are hosed and are trying to lose because it will let them blame Crytek for the failure of the BDSSE rather than Crobbers ego and incompetence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

intardnation posted:

DS slap fight because that is what he does.

Derek getting all pissy an acting like he's been betrayed, while he stabs someone in the back for actually one-upping him, is the best poo poo in this thread. I really don't want to see that stop.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Phi230 posted:

the mere fact that CIG's MTD introduces new facts to refute the complaint is a huge loving tell that there is a claim to be heard by the courts here especially in the context of a 12b6

Oh I think not. “All the cards are coming up CIG. Crytek's case just keeps losing more and more steam.”

Crytek tried to bluff on a pair of twos but Ortwin’s got a Royal Flush and an ace up the sleeve. I expect Judge Gee will issue the tersest of summaries and do away with this farce altogether before end of day tomorrow.

“No Quid Pro Quo. The court finds in favor of the defendant, and declares the plaintiff Cry-REKT!

Bangs gavel. Space court adjourned.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I choose the reality where the judge, upon reading what CIG submitted, is already so sick and tired of these clowns that she's minimizing her exposure to their weapons-grade stupidity as much as possible.

This is my immediate impression as well.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

zcrow posted:

Requesting my name be changed to Peat Flaggon.

Requesting the Redditor's name be changed to Meat_Wankin, because this is America...

Dogeh fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 8, 2018

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

I'll consult my 20 year old self, he knew loving everything.

Best quote of the day.
Thanks Jonesy.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Oh I think not. “All the cards are coming up CIG. Crytek's case just keeps losing more and more steam.”

Crytek tried to bluff on a pair of twos but Ortwin’s got a Royal Flush and an ace up the sleeve. I expect Judge Gee will issue the tersest of summaries and do away with this farce altogether before end of day tomorrow.

“No Quid Pro Quo. The court finds in favor of the defendant, and declares the plaintiff Cry-REKT!

Bangs gavel. Space court adjourned.

I upvoted and moved on

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Forgive the derail, what is 12b6?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I choose the reality where the judge, upon reading what CIG submitted, is already so sick and tired of these clowns that she's minimizing her exposure to their weapons-grade stupidity as much as possible.

but but but ortwin something something vampire something something law book! Crywrecked.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Cancelling the hearing means its almost certainly getting denied in its entirety. Judges will usually give you one last chance to argue before doing something drastic like dismissing a case, but if she's just going to tell them to maintain the status quo she doesn't need to extend them that courtesy.

Also the language in the motion was pretty typical for trial, even if a bit unprofessional. Now if the case heats up and the sides start trying to get each other sanctioned, then we'll see some fireworks.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

failure to state a claim upon which relief can be granted

basically it divides down into "your complaint has no merit" OR "your complaint doesn't need to be heard in court/is frivolous"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AngusPodgorny posted:

Cancelling the hearing means its almost certainly getting denied in its entirety. Judges will usually give you one last chance to argue before doing something drastic like dismissing a case, but if she's just going to tell them to maintain the status quo she doesn't need to extend them that courtesy.

Also the language in the motion was pretty typical for trial, even if a bit unprofessional. Now if the case heats up and the sides start trying to get each other sanctioned, then we'll see some fireworks.

You really may want to reconsider your determination here because I have it on good authority that the cards are all coming up CIG.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Wise Learned Man posted:

For a second I thought that was lowtax on the right.

It's ED. I think they named the game after him.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

You really may want to reconsider your determination here because I have it on good authority that the cards are all coming up CIG.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Some poor fucker in Florida is ordered to insert more fuel rods to heat up the reactor a couple extra notches.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

One common purpose of filing a 12b6 motion is to "educate the judge" on the subject matter, even if you expect the motion to be denied.

However, you may find that as a result of CIG's filings, newly-commissioned High Admiral Gee is very receptive to the defendant's argument on motion for summary judgement after limited discovery.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

happyhippy posted:

The damage bonus of an ancient dragon in Drakar & Demoner Expert.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

The important thing to realise here, dear goonie friends, that whatever happens, we still get comedy.

If CIG get their MtD, the game limps on for a little while longer and we get to make fun of CIG some more. Selfishly, I get to spend more time with you guys and marvel at your wit.

If CT get their way, the slow motion train wreck will just speed up a little and it will be a case of watching all the airports and borders to see which one Chris Roberts makes a break for, first.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Tippis posted:

The damage bonus of an ancient dragon in Drakar & Demoner Expert.

12b6

I was going to say something similar, except for dyslexics.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dogeh posted:

12b6

I was going to say something similar, except for dyslexics.

Yeah, fine, sure, it's supposed to be a T, but really… potato, pobabo and all that. Also, it's really supposed to be 11t6, but that just makes it easier for the players to survive so screw that.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

other goons have said it before, but getting sued by Crytek and them shutting the project down is the best possible outcome for Chris

it introduces a new primary antagonist, lets Chris off the hook from delivering a shitshow, and he gets a potential stay of execution.

if the case is dismissed, Chris gets a long march back to the salt mines, where he can chip away a few measly centimetres further before the tunnel caves in or someone else hauls him up and metaphorically shoots him in the head

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelemonade is back baby. gently caress yes. Finally good honest news from a trusted news source.

Though their name is significantly dumber than pixelemonade. :(

It’s ok though, I look forward to a fresh year of Shakleton Ear Nose and Throat news stories totally critical of Star Citizen and purely factual.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ive already got my science vessel working onbthe development of a dubstep gun. Together we shall rule the galaxy!!!!

Did you use the special metal extracted from the secret asteroid from the clone of the third asteroid in the quasar broken belt? Because it’s only that asteroid that has the special metal and there’s only a 1/100 chance it will glitch into your screen for extraction.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

alf_pogs posted:

other goons have said it before, but getting sued by Crytek and them shutting the project down is the best possible outcome for Chris

it introduces a new primary antagonist, lets Chris off the hook from delivering a shitshow, and he gets a potential stay of execution.

if the case is dismissed, Chris gets a long march back to the salt mines, where he can chip away a few measly centimetres further before the tunnel caves in or someone else hauls him up and metaphorically shoots him in the head

It also happens to be the best possible outcome for comedy, though, since the alternative of this stupid boring poo poo going on for another decade or so makes me want to :suicide:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Calling that the spergs will suddenly switch their narrative once the MTD is dismissed

"Oh, its just some dumb judge who doesn't understand LAW. Ortwin will set him straight!"

"This just shows corruption is spreading deeper and deeper into the judicial system, CIG IS INNOCENT!"

"I know I've ranted for weeks that Crytek doesn't have a leg to stand on and that CIG has verbally owned the poo poo outta them by filing a MTD, but now that the MTD was dismissed and they are going to discovery, it just means that Crytek will get owned EVEN HARDER once discovery PROVES CIG did nothing wrong!"

#notallgamedevs

My vote is for:

“Trap sprung. They just foolishly played into master Ortwins claws and are now on his court. It’s about to be a hard game and CryTek and Skadden are about to take balls to the face.”

And then TouchdownTim shows up and posts his balls as confirmation.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Lladre posted:

It would really be hilarious if the judge threw it out because the contract itself is so poo poo.
Sort of like the judge throwing out your moving violation because they cant't read the officer's handwriting. (Score!)

ded

edit: also, doxxing is bad.

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 9, 2018

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Lladre posted:

I was going to say if the judge actually did do that I would buy and play LOD but It looks like that site hasn't been updated since November.

Correct. I kindly brought this to Derek's attention today, but he went off on my as usual, forgetting that there was a time he gave out free keys and that I may have one. :shrug:

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

After MTD being denied:

"Well, it IS a woman. She obviously doesn't understand game development and needs time and help to comprehend what this is all about. When she does, she will wreck Crytek even harder than previously predicted."

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

ManofManyAliases posted:

Correct. I kindly brought this to Derek's attention today, but he went off on my as usual, forgetting that there was a time he gave out free keys and that I may have one. :shrug:

No need to beat the dead horse, we all remember your brutal "LOL ok" takedown.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I’ve never been able to wrap my head around how there can ever be a contract with a vendor that handles thousands of different accounts and they tell you can have to exclusively use their engine, people think the vendor is going to suddenly burn everything with all other accounts because “we got one that might make money some day!”

This is like going to buy a car from Ford and they give you an exclusive contract for a good deal if you market for them, and somehow you wonder why they haven’t destroyed all the other Fords in the world and burned down their factories because they made a deal with you for a marketing campaign and gave you a new car at a huge discount, possibly even free, if just for the advertising options.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

hot balls man no homo posted:

CIG's lawyers are going to point blank ask Chris if the game is still using Cryengine and Chris is going to say "of course not!" as buckets of flop sweat gush from under his toupee. I almost feel bad for them but less so if they made sure to get paid in advance. CIG I.O.U.s are about as legit as their capitol ship sales.

I think he’ll lie, but he won’t sweat. He’ll lie very convincingly. And everybody will in the end wonder if he was just misled by his poor underlings who evilly plotted against his success.

I’m pretty sure Beer4TheBeerGod did a great psychoanalysis sort of thing on the Chris Roberts personality and how he believes his lies before he looks millions in the eyes and says them like pure truth distilled.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Pixelate posted:

So long as ship components are returning to a primitive jpeg state, I don't care the cause. It's just too beautiful.

(Although that LoD theory is hilarious too :D)

This guy seemed pretty convinced that his ship was the primary donor: 'I exited the pilot seat and the ship then became 2d image'. And in the previous vid the guy also remarked that he thought the triangles contained Caterpillar textures.

Obviously it's affecting more than that. Like the :catdrugs: door and that. But dear making GBS threads lord let all their ships become jpegs...

The jpegs were inside us all along. :allears::allears::allears:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I really love this. The lawsuit is such a clean canvas upon which everyone’s biases are so starkly painted. Judge Gee might very well find the dispute about a space game interesting due to being the daughter of an aerospace engineer. She might as easily be appalled if she familiarizes herself with the business model or corporate history. Or she might not care one whit for games entirely.

None of it should matter with respect to her judgments. It’s a courtroom, she’s a judge, and impartiality is her duty and mandate. The presumption that she will happily favor the defendant because ”Spaaaaaace!” is Zealot positivity bias in the extreme. And if, somehow, she does not dismiss the case, she will quickly be deemed idiot because ”Women!” or whatever and we’ll see even more brushes on those clean canvases.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I'd think if she loves space she'd give Chris the chair.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

That is the dumbest goddamn thing I have read all week and I've been following both Star Citizen AND Bitcoin while reading the old Zaurg threads.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Hav posted:

I was hamfistedly trying to say this because of the verification aspects. BlockChain 2.0 even requires an Oracle, which reduces the trust model somewhat. Thanks for the clarification.

One thing I'll say though; building a trusted network is difficult. We don't even trust our RFC1918 space because the loving attack vector is still people clicking links in loving email inside of the border. Best thing we have is PCI, and that's because it's a requirement. We could still drive a truck through the holes that existed inside of the 'trusted network', but there was a very detailed PriceWaterhouseCoopers report that means I have multi-factor to get to my devices. Blockchain creates a chain of blocks that verify the preceeding blocks, so if that's what you're after, creating an audit trail that throws errors, then you have something. There are business cases beyond shovel salesmen, however.

Do you own it?

As someone who spent $1M on PCI Level I and PA-DSS compliance once upon a time....gently caress PCI....

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Perhaps the shadier moneymen would like to take a dive in the Crytek fight to avoid embarrassment and minimize liability but Chris is far too delusional to be that pragmatic.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When I was young (those were the days) I had a homestay family where the dad was a judge. Pretty chill and funny dude, unless he was on the job, then he became a mean humorless law machine. What I'm saying is "don't piss them judges, they are tired of all the bullshit they have to process".

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

:yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Montoya’s latest is out, and Samfreez sums is all up so well:

Samfreez posted:

Not from them. They exist to "laugh" at everything, and they only "laugh" harder when proven wrong ("jokes on you, I was only pretending to be retarded").

Dede and his chain gang of poisoned minds are the only ones who will be truly pissed off about this revelation, and will of course jump to some hair-brained "teh courts is control by CIG!" type argument or some crap when the judge shoots this case out of the water.

:smuggo::pgabz::smuggo::pgabz::smuggo::pgabz::smuggo::pgabz::smuggo::pgabz::smuggo::pgabz::smuggo::pgabz::smuggo::pgabz::smuggo::pgabz::smuggo: