Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yerp. I’m phone posting but google it, it’s good
Eh, the last portion of Dancing Mad XIV has too much distortion. Seriously... if they would just remove the distortion, it would be much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe I'll get back into XIV when they reach VIII

Seifer/Edea/Adel/Ultimecia sorceress gauntlet please

e: and the crab

e2: and the BFG342663

e3: and my buddy norg

e4: remember when there was a zombie decoy of the president

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 9, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The reason they're in the game is that they've run out of ideas and they're banking hard on nostalgia bait to keep people playing

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mega64 posted:

Mystic Quest really was ahead of its time by having actual quality-of-life features like visible enemy encounters (not added to the main series until 11/12) and being able to restart where you were upon death (again, not added until freaking 13).

I don't really get why random encounters still exist in games besides "tradition". If you're going to have them, at least give options to manipulate it like Bravely Default. Otherwise, give me Chrono Trigger's approach where you know where every battle will trigger and what enemies you get and where you can move through old areas with minimal fuss once you know what you're doing.

I like random encounters, but it's a fine loving line where the rate of hitting one needs to be in just the right spot. IX I remember could be loving awful for exiting an encounter, taking three steps and hitting another one. Which was even more BS with how long that poo poo took to load.

I probably prefer the CT/etc style where they're all laid out ahead of time. It also helps that CT usually had them doing goofy poo poo when you come upon them.

e: also, Dancing Mad is amazing and the best final boss theme in the series still imho. One-Winged Angel is overrated af and sounded like trash compared to what they managed to pull off on the SNES.

The Black Mages version is also lit and has that dope rear end minutes long guitar solo in it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

When has this game ever not leaned in hard on nostalgia

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe I'll get back into XIV when they reach VIII

Seifer/Edea/Adel/Ultimecia sorceress gauntlet please

e: and the crab

e2: and the BFG342663

e3: and my buddy norg

e4: remember when there was a zombie decoy of the president

VIII is real good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqKm3fLvDc

NED's was cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEFQPdTUNzM

e:

:jerkbag:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ROFL Octopus posted:

White Mage/Monk is a horrible combination since monk gets most of the high-level white magic.

yeah but they're all on islands though

idk how many of those islands become easily accessible later, there's only about eight espers total in the game isn't there?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I mean, they've also introduced completely brand new concepts and (kind of) primals to the series with The Four Lords and the Byakko fight. They've always introduced a mix of brand new stuff and nostalgic stuff. In case you don't remember, the 24-man raid from 2.X was pretty much Final Fantasy III, and the primals introduced in 3.X were The Warring Triad direct from FFVI. Both of those also introduced kind of nostalgic stuff but with a much different spin on it (2.0 Primals, Alexander, Ivalice), and also something brand new (Binding Coil, Demon based 24 man stuff, The Four Lords in this expansion).

e: Also, they've got these high quality Dissidia NT models and animations sitting around. May as well use them!

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 9, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As someone who has been playing XIV very slowly, beaten ARR and not quite hit HW yet, this game has been all fanservice from the start.

Exceptional amounts of FFVI fanservice from the beginning tbh. Which XV also had. Has VI finally become as popular in Japan as it is here??

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
what's a good FFXIV character name (I think Goku Sephiroth is taken)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ainsley McTree posted:

When has this game ever not leaned in hard on nostalgia

Fister Roboto has never had a good opinion about FFXIV.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Your Computer posted:

Your Computer

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Friendly Lore is a lore friendly Roe name.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Your Computer posted:

Sephigokuta

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

what race are you playing as?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I mean, they've also introduced completely brand new concepts and (kind of) primals to the series with The Four Lords and the Byakko fight. They've always introduced a mix of brand new stuff and nostalgic stuff. In case you don't remember, the 24-man raid from 2.X was pretty much Final Fantasy III, and the primals introduced in 3.X were The Warring Triad direct from FFVI. Both of those also introduced kind of nostalgic stuff but with a much different spin on it (2.0 Primals, Alexander, Ivalice), and also something brand new (Binding Coil, Demon based 24 man stuff, The Four Lords in this expansion).

e: Also, they've got these high quality Dissidia NT models and animations sitting around. May as well use them!

You're right, but the thing that's missing for me in Omega is that different spin. This is literally just "here's some things from another game, have fun".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pluribus Anus

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Max-height max-muscle male Roegadyn named Tiny Muffins.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

You're right, but the thing that's missing for me in Omega is that different spin. This is literally just "here's some things from another game, have fun".

As opposed to literally all the other times the game has done that, including bosses, characters, items and events.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lalafell Ninja or Samurai Name Barabara Chanbara

Actually don't take this I'm gonna go make an alt real quick.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

I would argue that, while you're correct that the bosses themselves are slightly unceremoniously brought into the game compared to how well previous nostalgia fests were, what we are getting is insight and lore about Omega itself. Considering it is one of the few characters that is largely consistent between appearances, that's relevant to the series as a whole.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

only if you made him look exactly like the one from secret of evermore

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I would argue that, while you're correct that the bosses themselves are slightly unceremoniously brought into the game compared to how well previous nostalgia fests were, what we are getting is insight and lore about Omega itself. Considering it is one of the few characters that is largely consistent between appearances, that's relevant to the series as a whole.

Yeah definitely, the story outside the fights is kind of neat, but that story is so detached from the actual fights that it doesn't really matter. They could have come up with original bosses and kept the same story. But they didn't.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah definitely, the story outside the fights is kind of neat, but that story is so detached from the actual fights that it doesn't really matter. They could have come up with original bosses and kept the same story. But they didn't.

They could have done, but that's a lot more development time, and the impression I get from the dev team is that they are busting rear end to keep us on the patch schedule; they've already admitted the crunch from previous expansions was simply too much for them and they're trying to find a better balance while avoiding delays. If the bosses themselves were poorly integrated I'd probably be upset, but honestly? They're some of my favourite fights in the game because of how inventively they've been implemented.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Pick a roe and then just roll your face on the keyboard

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I originally played FFXV on ps4 when it came out but kind of petered out around chapter 13 or 14.

I just played the first bit on FFXV Pocket Edition on an Android emulator and it actually seems like a pretty good slimmed down remake of the full game. Has anyone here put some more time into it? I'm curious if it holds up and is worth the price.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

ilu agrias

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

what race are you playing as?

actually to be honest I already have a very precious character

(note: old picture, actually like level 50)
but despite the advice of every person on the planet I want more characters, starting at level 1 is less effort than trying to get back into the game :pram: I had made a creepo dragonlady back when that race came out that I tried to style sorta like Amano's drawings, I thought she looked pretty cool in the costume that was in my mailbox (?) but I don't have a name for her

Ainsley McTree posted:

Pick a roe and then just roll your face on the keyboard
I think I have one named Ahdsakafajdags on a server somewhere

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

seiferguy posted:

ilu agrias

This is beautiful, thank you for it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

ilu agrias

Now this is the kind of nostalgia I can get behind :h:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

seiferguy posted:

ilu agrias

:eyepop: Wowza!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
whatever happened to that twitter account

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Your Computer posted:

Rosie Pelm

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah but they're all on islands though

idk how many of those islands become easily accessible later, there's only about eight espers total in the game isn't there?

Between espers bridging specific spaces on specific boards and being able to bypass some of that entirely by getting licenses on your second board, it’s not as big a deal as you’d think

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Reiterpallasch posted:

whatever happened to that twitter account

It's still there. I stopped updating it after I quit playing XIV.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

I agree with you to a point, aesthetically it feels a bit "eh" to me. It's hard to follow up Alexander, so maybe they felt they went too hard in new territory with that one so they wanted to do something classic and fan servicey. I think it probably got to the point where they knew fans wanted them to try and include classic FF stuff as meaningful content, and this seemed like the best way to do things like having Exdeath be a boss fight without needing a lot of work to justify his presence.

I can't even say I'm disappointed that they went with Even More FFVI references because FF6 is awesome and they picked a really good selection of bosses from that game. I am eager to experience the Savage content.

Alexander, the whole raid series in FFXIV, is probably my favorite thing ever in an FF game. It's so goddamn cool, all the bosses and the music are really great and it feels really new and fresh, not unlike how HW felt very new and fresh. Maybe that's the problem/point with Stormblood, to return to more familiar territory.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Your Computer posted:

I meant to get around to finding out whether I'd get GM called if I took Adolf Youknowwho but then I quit.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
How do I beat the Trickster (jerk invisible Chocobo) hunt in XII? I got really, really close once but white wind is just negating everything and I can't tell which magic will actually damage it. Is it just random which element to use? Everything I'm throwing at it just heals it for 300-400 HP. I know that as soon as a spell actually does damage, the element changes to something else, but all I can seem to do at very low HP is heal it until it picks everyone off one by one. Do I need to save my quickenings until ~50% HP and then hope I can get a 9-10 hit combo to take it out before white wind is cast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Bloodplay it again posted:

How do I beat the Trickster (jerk invisible Chocobo) hunt in XII? I got really, really close once but white wind is just negating everything and I can't tell which magic will actually damage it. Is it just random which element to use? Everything I'm throwing at it just heals it for 300-400 HP. I know that as soon as a spell actually does damage, the element changes to something else, but all I can seem to do at very low HP is heal it until it picks everyone off one by one. Do I need to save my quickenings until ~50% HP and then hope I can get a 9-10 hit combo to take it out before white wind is cast?

Do you have any non-elemental spells?