Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

As an addition to that, only one player from each team can be sweeping behind the t-line at once. That includes sweeping your own rocks and your opponents rocks. So you can sometimes see people running around trying to both roll their own rock behind a guard and sweep the opponents rock out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
dang all those curlin ladies can sweep my donger if you get what im saying :grin:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Miz Kriss posted:

I wouldn’t mind trying curling if I wasn’t so terrified of walking on ice.

If you're in a position to try it anyway, I'd say go for it. When we teach lessons at my club, we always start with taking the group up and back across the ice so everyone gets a feel for it, and if they're uncomfortable, we can get them different grippers or something.

As was mentioned somewhere before, the ice isn't flat; it's "pebbled" giving it a texture usually described as kind of like an orange peel. If you're wearing shoes with a rubber, textured sole, you should be just fine.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Women's Curling

Schedule - Click here!

Format
Ten teams play a round robin with the top four teams making the playoffs. 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 with the winners going to the gold medal game and the losers going to the bronze medal game.

Why should I watch women's curling?
Women's curling has improved by leaps and bounds in the past 20 years and the top women's teams are probably good enough to curl in the men's tournament. This is due to most curling federations moving to equalize curling funding between men and women. In Canada, the big tournaments have an equal amount of prize money for men and women and women's events get just as much TV time as men. Unlike a lot of team sports, most of the women's teams here could play toe to toe against most of the men's teams.

All that being said, while there are no rule differences between the two events, women's curling does tend to play out slightly differently. Women tend to play more of a finesse game with fewer big take out shots and more rocks in play. I slightly prefer watching women's curling because it's more the style I like to play when I'm skipping.

Teams

Canada - Skip: Rachel Homan Third: Emma Miskew Second: Joanne Courtney Lead: Lisa Weagle Alternate: Cheryl Bernard

This is the best women's team in the world. They went undefeated at last year's world championships and look unstoppable most of the time. They play more takeouts and big weight shots than most of the women's teams but are not at all afraid to play a low weight finesse game. Generally they'll play the first end as open as possible, mix it up for a few ends to get the lead, and then hit everything until they win the game. It's not always the most exciting game to watch but their brutal efficiency is a masterclass in strategy. If they have a weakness it's that their play on the curling tour this year has been a bit spotty, but they've been very clear that their priority has been the Olympics and I expect them to be in top form.

Official Chicken Prediction: Gold
Hero or Villain? Hero if you're Canadian, so very villainous if you're not.

China - Skip: Wang Bingyu Third: Zhou Yan Second: Liu Jinli Lead: Ma Jingyi Alternate: Jiang Xindi

There have been a few line up changes, but the bones of this team surprised a lot of the world by winning the women's world championship in 2009. They followed that up with a bronze in Vancouver but it's been slim pickings since then, finishing middle of the pack at most events. They tend to play a low risk game; they'd rather make a simple draw for one than a triple take out for three. Their strategy is generally good if a bit risk-averse, but they do sometimes have problems with ice reading (how much the rock will curl at different weights). Expect some low scoring games especially for the first 2 or 3 games although they may have to move to a more aggressive game if they start falling in the rankings. I've seen a few places thinking they're medal favourites, but I would be pretty surprised.

Official Chicken Prediction: Sixth
Hero or Villain? On one hand, they could be a good comeback story, on the other hand they're kind of boring to watch. Mild villain I guess?

Denmark - Skip: Madeleine Dupont Third: Denise Dupont Second: Julie Høgh Lead: Mathilde Halse Alternate: Lina Knudsen

Denmark just squeaked into the Olympics over Italy and I expect they'll have a tough go of it here. They have a bit of experience at the world championships but looked outmatched against most of the top teams. Their fundamentals are sound so don't expect them to get blown out in every game, but their shot calling is occasionally suspect and they don't have quite enough talent at the top end to bail them out. I've only seen a few games from them but they tend to play with a lot of rocks in play eschewing the hitting game almost completely. They'll sometimes be completely overwhelmed with two or three opponents rocks well guarded and only a hail mary left for their final shot. Expect them to lose a lot but also put up a ton of points and have some exciting ends.

Official Chicken Prediction: Tenth
Hero or Villain? South Korea gets the underdog hero spot, but it will still be hard to cheer against Denmark.

Great Britain - Skip: Eve Muirhead Third: Anna Sloan Second: Vicki Adams Lead: Lauren Gray Alternate: Kelly Schafer

The good news: Eve Muirhead and Anna Sloan are two of the best curlers in the world. The bad news: the rest of the team, not so much. The team is still a medal favourite and have loads of experience in international play, but I just can't see them competing for a gold medal. There are times where Anna will be facing a pile of opponent rocks on her first throw. To their credit, they can get themselves out of almost every situation, but expect a rough game when they play Canada or Sweden. In terms of strategy, they're a well-rounded team: equally comfortable with big weight shots and the soft finesse shots.

Official Chicken Prediction: Bronze
Hero or Villain? If this makes you think of Braveheart and gets your Scottish juices flowing then hero.

Japan - Skip: Satsuki Fujisawa Third: Chinami Yoshida Second: Mari Motohashi Lead: Yurika Yoshida Alternate: Yumi Suzuki

Most of the European and North American teams are semi professional. They'll play a whole bunch of events on the World Curling Tour and the (kind of) big money Canadian tournaments and then work the rest of the year at an accounting firm or something. The Asian teams, due to the travel costs, won't play many events outside Asia, but are generally funded by the Olympic committees in the country to be full time curlers. Japan sort of does both: the team actually works for a company but spends most of their time curling on the company's dime as a promotional thing. So this team has the time and the money for coaching and are extremely solid curlers. What they lack is a lot of experience against top teams. I'm sure they've played China and South Korea a lot but may find themselves playing blind against some of the other teams. Of course that goes both ways; Canada and Sweden might not know what to expect when they play Japan. They tend to play a bit more offensively than the Chinese with more rocks in play and might be able to surprise a few teams.

Official Chicken Prediction: Seventh
Hero or Villain? As a man terrified of corporations taking over everything, I'd have to say they're villains.

That Country Between Finland and North Korea That We Can't Name - Skip: Victoria Moiseeva Third: Uliana Vasilyeva Second: Galina Arsenkina Lead: Julia Guzieva Alternate: Yulia Portunova

For years, Anna Sidorova has been the face of Russian women's curling but her team lost to these women at the national playdowns. I don't know anything about this team, but Anna Sidorova would have been a medal favourite so this team must be pretty good. For most teams, the alternate is only there in case of illness or injury but in the past Russia have used substituted their alternate if one player wasn't playing great or to play against some the opposing teams weaknesses and you might see that here.

Official Chicken Prediction: Uhhhhhhh fifth I guess?
Hero or Villain? You just can't cheer for Russian people at these Olympics. Villain.

South Korea - Skip: Kim Eun-jung Third: Kim Kyeong-ae Second: Kim Seon-yeong Lead: Kim Yeong-mi Alternate: Kim Cho-hi

Another team I don't know much about. I expect they'll play a bit like the Chinese and Japanese teams but they've pulled in some top Canadian talent to coach so you might see some more North American style strategy. I don't think they'll do well due to their lack of experience but never underestimate how far a home town crowd can get you.

Official Chicken Prediction: Ninth
Hero or Villain? Underdog Heroes! And as has been mentioned in this thread, the South Korean fans are loud and boisterous and a lot of fun.

Sweden - Skip: Anna Hasselborg Third: Sara McManus Second: Agnes Knochenhauer Lead: Sofia Mabergs Alternate: Jennie Wåhlin

Eternal second place finishers, this team has never won a major international competition but they're almost always a medal favourite. They're a well balanced team with no flaws and they're young but have a pile of international experience. In terms of strategy they play more up weight shots than most of the teams but not quite as much as Canada. They're fun to watch and will put up a pile of rocks in play if they feel they can exploit a weakness in the other team. The only question is if they have can finally win a gold medal.

Official Chicken Prediction: Silver
Hero or Villain? As the only team with a shot at toppling the Canadians, they've got to be heroes. Unless you're Canadian.

Switzerland - Skip: Silvana Tirinzoni Third: Manuela Siegrist Second: Esther Neuenschwander Lead: Marlene Albrecht Alternate: Jenny Perret

This is another team that's come out of nowhere. It's no surprise to see Switzerland here, but for years this has been the third best team in the country. But this team went undefeated at the Swiss qualifiers and could certainly surprise a few teams here. I haven't seen more than a few games from them but they appear to be a poor man's Sweden: well rounded, excellent strategically, just a bit less skill.

Official Chicken Prediction: fourth
Hero or Villain? Good black horse team. You can cheer for them and when they finish well you can astound all your friends by saying that you were cheering for Switzerland at the beginning of the round robin.

United States - Skip: Nina Roth Third: Tabitha Peterson Second: Aileen Geving Lead: Rebecca Hamilton Alternate: Cory Christensen

There's some impressive junior curling credentials on this team but not a lot at the senior level. Lead Rebecca Hamilton is also playing in the mixed doubles which could give them a spark of momentum or just tire her out. From what little I've seen, they're a middle of the road team with no glaring weaknesses but nothing that puts them above the rest of the pack.

Official Chicken Prediction: eighth
Hero or Villain? Do you really want to cheer for Americans?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

No Sidorova, no Jennifer Jones, #NotMyOlympics

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I don’t follow curling in non Olympic times but is it me or do these teams seem really young? Am I crazy? Or have o just got old and they always looked this age :negative:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Teams have definitely skewed younger in the past ten or so years, and it's more pronounced in the women's game. It was pretty common for a while to have a grizzled old veteran skipping the team with some young up and comers playing lead and second. But I think teams have realized that there's some advantage to be gained by playing together and learning together for a long period of time. Three of the team Canada players have been playing together for over fifteen years which is impressive considering they're all late twenties.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How did Team USA allow curlers already on the men’s and women’s teams to do mixed doubles? Seems to devalue that event as an afterthought imo.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Most countries prohibited players from being in both but a few allowed. I think it's really bad idea for the reason you mentioned, but also because curling 2 games a day for 2 weeks is exhausting and I think it will hurt their men's and women's teams chances

Next Olympics I'm guessing all countries will prohibit their players from playing in both.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Whats with the Swiss Guard in the background?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you everyone for the responses! I watched a couple championship matches on youtube and am definitely gonna be following this year :) I also like the mixed doubles format. Its kinda like hockey and bocce ball had a baby (at least that's what my first impression was, I dunno maybe that's a weird way to think about it). I've got at least one curling club in my area so I'm gonna see if I can get a group together to go to a newbie event sometime.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

next games start in 15 minutes

https://twitter.com/TeamShuster/status/961690675371823106

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The Swedish women’s team looks like a Pokemon evolution chart. Basic, 1st stage, 2nd stage, Mega Evolution!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Dont get Shustered

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Can't wait for Shuster to Shuster it up again.

Hey guys remember the US women's team in Sochi? What a trainwreck lol

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm not sure this lego explanation is helpful...

But it's CURLING TIME BITCH

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

How did Team USA allow curlers already on the men’s and women’s teams to do mixed doubles? Seems to devalue that event as an afterthought imo.

Why is Michael Phelps allowed to swim individual events as well as relays and team events?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Come on Farva, win this meow

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's so weird that rocks are already in play at the start of each end

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Athanatos posted:

Come on Farva, win this meow

Don't Schuster it up!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Garbage 2nd to last stone there US...

and a nice rear end guard by Swiss there

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I am watching a brother and sister from MacFarland curl while drinking free beers at The Old Fashioned, a bar across the street from the Wisconsin Capital.
The Olympics are good.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Swiss lady is garbage at throwing and disgraces the ice by sliding on it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Why is Michael Phelps allowed to swim individual events as well as relays and team events?
That's a terrible comparison.

Even if it weren't, you're kinda proving my point because the nature of swimming allows competitors to compete in too many events.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

John is being less of a dick to Kaitlyn but he's still being very bad at curling. Good thing China is also very bad or else Canada would be behind by like 3 already.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

And just as I say that Kaitlyn comes up with a beauty of shot! :love:

Canada kicking some rear end.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm watching Korea/Norway for the crowd reactions and the announcer is making me fall asleep.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chicken posted:

John is being less of a dick to Kaitlyn but he's still being very bad at curling. Good thing China is also very bad or else Canada would be behind by like 3 already.

He's been a lovely dick at communicating since the start, she's a way better curler

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
USA should be up by 4, they not taking advantage

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Norway got a steal of 3 in the 2nd end. Korea is... not good.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
The Winter Olympics pair well with a nice oatmeal stout. Can't wait to have different stuff streaming on three screens.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Matt Hamilton reminds me of Ken Bone

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I don't think I've seen the powerplay actually work out for a team yet. Seems like they'll need to modify the rules around that a bit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chicken posted:

I don't think I've seen the powerplay actually work out for a team yet

neither have the Vancouver Canucks

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Open button cant stop the hammer on it. Give up 1. USA.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Open button cant stop the hammer on it. Give up 1. USA.
Draw weight is hard

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wikipedia says the stones just need to weigh between 38 and 44 pounds. That's a huge amount of potential variation. Even if you targeted 42 lbs, the granite would have variation in density. What do they do if a stone is over/under weight?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Josh Lyman posted:

Draw weight is hard

Would you say it's an Olympic challenge?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Korean male fell over and grabbed his main wrist and then NBC cut to commercial wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

That's a terrible comparison.

Even if it weren't, you're kinda proving my point because the nature of swimming allows competitors to compete in too many events.

I honestly don't understand your point. In both summer and winter olympics, competitors are permitted to, and frequently do, compete in multiple events. Including both individual and team events. Why are you singling out curling to be different?

• Locked thread