Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yep, we still suck

giving up 6 at the end, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
USA snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
That's okay. Watching curling is it's own reward.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

USA gave up a 6??? How do you even do that? Gonna have to watch that game.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I honestly don't understand your point. In both summer and winter olympics, competitors are permitted to, and frequently do, compete in multiple events. Including both individual and team events. Why are you singling out curling to be different?
In other sports like swimming and track, they’re primarily individual sports. The relay events are strongly tilted toward the team with the strongest individual athlete but a stronger team on average can still prevail.

Curling is primarily a team event. If countries allow someone from the team event to play in mixed doubles, then the strongest team basically gets another free medal. However, if you don’t send your strongest players, like what the US did, then you’re basically saying the event doesn’t matter to you.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Chicken posted:

we gave up a 7 in 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RceHlCJ4zrU

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Wikipedia says the stones just need to weigh between 38 and 44 pounds. That's a huge amount of potential variation. Even if you targeted 42 lbs, the granite would have variation in density. What do they do if a stone is over/under weight?

Generally the stones are matched in sets. So all the rocks at the Olympics will come out of one set of stones which will all be the same weight. There are still minor differences in the rocks so teams will try and learn that, but the difference is minimal.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

:trumppop:

Edit just so I don't post three times in a row: Just watching RUS-NOR from earlier today and in the first end they both had a rock so close to the button that they couldn't measure it and they couldn't tell which was closer. They ended up no points anybody. Never seen that before!

Chicken fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 9, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh god, I remember that match. The American women were so bad.

The American men too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Time to care about these people I care about for two weeks and then forget to think about again for several years.

Madeleine Dupont made skip! I guess that tough older lady that used to lead Denmark retired.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
One of my co-workers is going to Korea with one of the Canadian teams, so I will be more invested than ever in the grand sport of Olympic curling

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
The Hamilton’s have disappointed so far. Dude made a couple terrible mistakes late in the match vs Canada and the 6 vs the Swiss... lol

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: South Korean curler fell on the ice :siren:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

:siren: South Korean curler fell on the ice :siren:

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/961811808448229376

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol it is Son of Andy Reid shooting for the US

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

In other sports like swimming and track, they’re primarily individual sports. The relay events are strongly tilted toward the team with the strongest individual athlete but a stronger team on average can still prevail.

Curling is primarily a team event. If countries allow someone from the team event to play in mixed doubles, then the strongest team basically gets another free medal. However, if you don’t send your strongest players, like what the US did, then you’re basically saying the event doesn’t matter to you.

Yeah I think there are lots of other olympic sports with multiple team events, and I think different team events of a given sport may have players who are great at two or more, and other players who specialize, and I think that's fine either way. I assume in most free countries it's up to the athletes to decide which team events to try out for, and earn their spot based on their performance as a team, or in some cases, as individuals.

It sounds like you look at mixed doubles as an inferior or easier event that is just an automatic medal for any medal-quality teams in the non-mixed regular curling event. I don't think that assumption will bear out.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The Hamiltons are really bad.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Get dunked on by Koreans :getin:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

There's just one old dude commentating on the Canada-Finland game. So lonely.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
lol what are you doing

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

oh my God I wish I didn't read that they were on the men's and women's team, we're so hosed.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Korean dude destroyed that banana like they're destroying the Americans.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The Hamiltons can't stop shooting themselves in the dick goddamn

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Just got back from curling irl and get to watch CAN-FIN before bed. Hell yeah great curling day.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LMAO USA

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That was a really good shot by Korea.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Which ended up being the killshot. :rip:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat Finland gave up 5 to Canada that end.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Haha eat it, Finland

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye

gret posted:

drat Finland gave up 5 to Canada that end.

Tuned in to see that shot, and the game was over. I think I will watch Curling now.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Andorra posted:

Hey guys remember the US women's team in Sochi? What a trainwreck lol

NEVER FORGET

https://tune.pk/video/2363400/usa-women-curling-team-what-does-the-skip-say

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Andorra posted:

Can't wait for Shuster to Shuster it up again.

Hey guys remember the US women's team in Sochi? What a trainwreck lol

oh no, the dandruff machine is back?

i still have 8 year old memes making fun of him on my backup hard drive :negative:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Chicken posted:

To be fair; they were up 1. Giving up 2 is the same as giving up 8, so ignoring all those peripheral rocks was the right play. They just didn't make the final shot they needed to lock in the steal/force.

Last night, they both just seemed really frustrated (Matt especially) and I know what it's like to be too far in your own head to make a shot. Maybe, once they get to fours, the rest of the teams can keep them in check. (Or maybe they'll go with the fifths for a few games.)

I still think Team Shuster has a good shot at making the top 4, but until they actually start playing, it's a pretty baseless prediction.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
On the bright side, they’re doing better than Finland. On the downside, that’s not saying much.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

CellBlock posted:

I still think Team Shuster has a good shot at making the top 4, but until they actually start playing, it's a pretty baseless prediction.

I'm doing the writeups for the men's teams today and I think the top 2 and bottom 2 are pretty clear but the middle teams, including the US, could be anywhere. I don't get to see Schuster a lot as he doesn't play on the Canadian money circuit. My impression is that they're primarily a defensive, big weight team. Any insight into their strengths/weaknesses/strategy?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I think there are lots of other olympic sports with multiple team events, and I think different team events of a given sport may have players who are great at two or more, and other players who specialize, and I think that's fine either way. I assume in most free countries it's up to the athletes to decide which team events to try out for, and earn their spot based on their performance as a team, or in some cases, as individuals.

It sounds like you look at mixed doubles as an inferior or easier event that is just an automatic medal for any medal-quality teams in the non-mixed regular curling event. I don't think that assumption will bear out.

Josh Lyman posted:

However, if you don’t send your strongest players, like what the US did, then you’re basically saying the event doesn’t matter to you.

I agree with leperflesh on this one, but mostly lol if you think that the USA is coming away with a medal in men's or women's curling. Embrace the weirdness and novelty of mixed doubles.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
How are those little beads on the ice made? I think someone said they spray water on the ice?

How often is the water sprayed? Can there a problem where after a while the entire play field is over swept and there's nothing left to sweep? Is it possible that a certain area has been swept so much that the ice is nice and smooth and the rock just decides to not curl even though you're team's not touching it?

Curling is fun. My Fiance's cousin is part of the local curling club and I only live like 15 minutes from it. He invited me to a charity event where you get to throw a stone for every bunch of money donated.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like there needs to be a curling bad boy / girl. A heel, so to speak. Someone that breaks all the curling customs, screams "gently caress YEAH!" then talks poo poo to the opponent when they land a shot. Then we get Curling hot takes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Renegret posted:

How are those little beads on the ice made? I think someone said they spray water on the ice?

How often is the water sprayed? Can there a problem where after a while the entire play field is over swept and there's nothing left to sweep? Is it possible that a certain area has been swept so much that the ice is nice and smooth and the rock just decides to not curl even though you're team's not touching it?

Curling is fun. My Fiance's cousin is part of the local curling club and I only live like 15 minutes from it. He invited me to a charity event where you get to throw a stone for every bunch of money donated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFC8CnOD8w

It's called pebbling and is traditionally done by a man with a jug of water and a stick. Seriously. It's a real art.

Typically the ice will be scraped between draws of a bonspiel/ tournament to give it a flat surface then repebbled. There's a crazy amount of work that goes into making sure the ice is consistent for play.

seiferguy posted:

I feel like there needs to be a curling bad boy / girl. A heel, so to speak. Someone that breaks all the curling customs, screams "gently caress YEAH!" then talks poo poo to the opponent when they land a shot. Then we get Curling hot takes.
The Brad Jacobs rink had some means gazes and comments sent their way when they hit the scene if I'm remembering it right, because they had the gall to cheer and whoop a bit when they were making good shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Renegret posted:

I'm not sure exactly how they do it for the Olympics but it's probably pretty similar to how they do it in clubs. Ice making is a huge part of curling and there's a Canadian curling hero named Shorty Jenkins (A+ name) who's famous solely for ice making.

Maybe half an hour before each game you'll see some dude with what looks like a backpack come onto the ice and walk backwards down each sheet gently sprinkling water drops the whole way. After that, he'll take a huge planer out onto the ice which just barely clips off the very top of the new ice pebbles. The final step is to take a seven foot wide lambswool broom out onto the ice to clear off all of the ice shavings. At the Olympics they probably add a few steps but the process is functionally the same.

Over time in a game the pebble will gradually wear away and you might hear curlers comment on "flat spots" or say a rock is "running" in a spot. It probably won't come up much in the mixed doubles as the games are shorter and they only throw 10 rocks an end, but it will definitely be a factor for the men's and women's events. It's all part of the game and the skips just keep an eye on it and might expect rocks to curl a bit less and go a bit slower as the game goes on.

Another factor is the conditions in the building. Humidity is a huge problem and when you have larger than normal crowds (like a gold medal game) the heat and humidity from the crowd can hugely affect the ice. I think this building was purpose built for curling and they have some great ice makers so they should be able to mitigate that.

• Locked thread