Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Roncho posted:

Yana Kunitskaya sounds like the name of a prodigious figure skater and she will probably look like one while fighting Cyborg.

I thought it was the name of a conceptual artist who works primarily with recycled building materials, but yours works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lmao

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rigel posted:

That won't be a problem unless Yamasaki is literally the ref again.

The people who blamed the UFC matchmaking for the Shevchenko debacle are loving idiots because anyone else would have stopped it quickly.

That's very true, but the fight still had no business being sanctioned. A 14-3 mma fighter who is also a kickboxing world champion and considered one of the best female muay thai fighters in the world, with a 18-year combat sports career vs someone who started training fighting three years ago and is a blue belt in bjj. Sure, she had an 8-0 record but some of the girls she beat had records like 4-8, 2-5 and 0-6.

What's really stupid about it is that it makes no one look good. Bullet looks bad for beating the poo poo out of a tomato can, Cachoiera looks bad for how viciously she got mauled, her corner look like idiots for letting her go back out there after the first, the UFC looks bad because of how long it was left to go for, Yamasaki is always going to look like he has atlanto-axial subluxation due to having congenital trisomy on the 21st chromosome, and the commission looks bad for letting them get into the octagon together.

It's a real shift away from the Joe Silva school of booking where it would have been good for the promotion going forward no matter who wins. Imagine Cachoiera got insanely lucky and won this. You're going to put her in the #1 contender spot at W125 like they did with Schevchenko? gently caress no.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

That's very true, but the fight still had no business being sanctioned. A 14-3 mma fighter who is also a kickboxing world champion and considered one of the best female muay thai fighters in the world, with a 18-year combat sports career vs someone who started training fighting three years ago and is a blue belt in bjj. Sure, she had an 8-0 record but some of the girls she beat had records like 4-8, 2-5 and 0-6.

What's really stupid about it is that it makes no one look good. Bullet looks bad for beating the poo poo out of a tomato can, Cachoiera looks bad for how viciously she got mauled, her corner look like idiots for letting her go back out there after the first, the UFC looks bad because of how long it was left to go for, Yamasaki is always going to look like he has atlanto-axial subluxation due to having congenital trisomy on the 21st chromosome, and the commission looks bad for letting them get into the octagon together.

It's a real shift away from the Joe Silva school of booking where it would have been good for the promotion going forward no matter who wins. Imagine Cachoiera got insanely lucky and won this. You're going to put her in the #1 contender spot at W125 like they did with Schevchenko? gently caress no.

As another example Estevan Payan was matched up against Jeremy Stephens in Stephens' Featherweight debut, and got loving mauled. He's managed to win two fights in the last five years. A fight a fighter isn't ready for can ruin them.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Memento posted:

Yeah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chris James 2 posted:

I would hope this one is stopped before 200+ strikes land

That's probably a little optimistic, but maybe the referee will only make her clearly tap out twice before noticing and calling off the match!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Seems like the best way for a female 135'er to get her foot in the door in the UFC is to win the Invicta bantamweight title and then be willing to vacate it and get beaten up by Cyborg at featherweight

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’d rather not watch cyborg vs another can.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

A couple hours ago, Marc Goddard decided his life didn't have enough frustration and conflict, so he inexplicably decided to tweet this out. Its going about as well as you'd expect.

https://twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk/status/961733080003305472

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

By what goddamn definition does that look "promising" Ariel

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Rigel posted:

A couple hours ago, Marc Goddard decided his life didn't have enough frustration and conflict, so he inexplicably decided to tweet this out. Its going about as well as you'd expect.

https://twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk/status/961733080003305472

An uncharacteristically bad call.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

DoombatINC posted:

By what goddamn definition does that look "promising" Ariel

"I was correct on a scoop! Hooray!"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
So Cyborg is going on as the main? Imagine thinking that people want to see the Cyborg/Anna Kournikova fight more than they want to see The Answer vs. T-City.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here's a happier tweet. Jose Aldo is visiting Mickey Mouse :3:

https://twitter.com/josealdojunior/status/961765194295906304

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Rigel posted:

"I was correct on a scoop! Hooray!"

Yea two scoops of Rizin, thanks Kelloggs

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rigel posted:

Here's a happier tweet. Jose Aldo is visiting Mickey Mouse :3:

https://twitter.com/josealdojunior/status/961765194295906304

It's cool how well he seemed to take his losses to Max.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Memento posted:

So Cyborg is going on as the main? Imagine thinking that people want to see the Cyborg/Anna Kournikova fight more than they want to see The Answer vs. T-City.

The Cyborg fight is for a prestigious UFC championship belt, so of course it's going on as the main event.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The cyborg/holm card did the same buys as the LHW/HW title fights card so *does the new york guy shrug*

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

Cyborg has an annoyingly large fanbase. I'm gonna blame Ariel since he basically drinks every drop of the Cyborg Kool Aid and The MMA Hour seems reasonably popular.

Or maybe it's just Brazil's fault. Like most things in this sport.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

El Roncho posted:

Cyborg has an annoyingly large fanbase. I'm gonna blame Ariel since he basically drinks every drop of the Cyborg Kool Aid and The MMA Hour seems reasonably popular.

i think it's just mma

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

This guy was gonna fill in when Alexander Volkanovski's opponent dropped out on the Werdum/Tybura card. He has a name too silly for Keven to even make up.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Drex-Zamboanga-148113

Straight Star Wars poo poo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

El Roncho posted:

Cyborg's fan base is annoying because she and Tito spun misogynistic comments made about her appearance into an underdog story, which weirdly enough allowed her to take on a bit of a face role with Rousey as a heel. It was a good move from a publicity perspective. But the people who got on board with her are the ones who decide that they like someone and then get selective blindness about that person.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dont think too bad of her but she should be fighting people like nunes cos right now her career is looking a bit like gabi garcias. though she did just beat holm

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
What a disgrace. How did that fight ever get booked? Unbelievable. Yama-sucks-me-off more like. Huh? Cyborg is booked to fight a woman who shouldn't be within a thousand yards of a cage with cyborg in it? Cool. Cool.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

El Roncho posted:

This guy was gonna fill in when Alexander Volkanovski's opponent dropped out on the Werdum/Tybura card. He has a name too silly for Keven to even make up.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Drex-Zamboanga-148113

Straight Star Wars poo poo.

Don't disparage 6-2 Drex Zamboanga (of Tough Guys International.) He has significant wins over 4-6 Rex de Lara, and 1-3 Sem Bicaldo.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Phil the New York bad rear end baroni

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Drex Zamborga

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Luke Rockhold is training with Henri Hooft at Hard Knocks 365 instead of AKA.

Betting the farm on The Cuban Muscle Crisis

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

It's a real shift away from the Joe Silva school of booking where it would have been good for the promotion going forward no matter who wins.

Who should she have fought instead to make that the case?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

Luke Rockhold is training with Henri Hooft at Hard Knocks 365 instead of AKA.

Betting the farm on The Cuban Muscle Crisis

There's a good chance Rockhold will be KO'd taking his hoodie off in the Reebok fighter preparation area (sponsored by Gus's Wings)

Speaking of sponsors, did we ever find out what dynamic fasteners dynamically fastened things to?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Iunno like anyone else who was vaguely top ranked and not from the Brazillian z league probably.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Cyborg seems like Dana's secret project to overtake Mighty Mouse's record for consecutive defences.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Name a single fighter who cleared their division faster than Cyborg

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a good chance Rockhold will be KO'd taking his hoodie off in the Reebok fighter preparation area (sponsored by Gus's Wings)

Speaking of sponsors, did we ever find out what dynamic fasteners dynamically fastened things to?

probably all kinds of stuff .. if youre going to go around calling yourself dynamic then you should at least be able to securely fasten yourself to a wide range of objects

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Maybe the Invicta champ who's about to be signed? She wants to fight Schev to start with anyway, it would have saved that pointless brutalising we saw on the weekend.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I.N.R.I posted:

probably all kinds of stuff .. if youre going to go around calling yourself dynamic then you should at least be able to securely fasten yourself to a wide range of objects

You are correct.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Luke Rockhold riding a camel everybody

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyhCTG0CyFg

Brown Paper Bag fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 9, 2018

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Name a single fighter who cleared their division faster than Cyborg

anthony johnson cleared middleweight pretty quickly

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
never heard of this till whittaker showed up on it but less than 10 minutes in tai tuivasa is talking about romeros dick

https://youtu.be/sffHFLorw5c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost