Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bioshock Infinite is a fun video game with potentially good mechanical depth that it falls just short of delivering on (but good base mechanics) and real good character interactions but a pretty hackneyed overall plot. G3F4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tbf my hatred is probably mostly due to having people tell me it was the greatest story in videogames for years and then I actually played it to find... that

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Colonel posted:

dark souls iii
LISA

I recommend these two

Unreal_One posted:

I don't get the hate for Bioshock Infinite, but I didn't really get the love for Bioshock, either. They're games with mediocre, low impact shooting, an interesting aesthetic, and a story I don't care for.

The game says that a rebelling working class is just as bad as their white supremacist oppressors. Its extremely tone deaf at best and actively racist at worst, despite trying to condemn that viewpoint.

The thing is the original Bioshock got built up as a game with amazing atmosphere (which it does have) and great story (which it doesn't really) and the political take was part of that. However, what is said about objectivism was something anyone that isn't Rand Paul can agree with. Its an easy target. Bioshock Infinite tackles more murky topics and completely fucks them up by taking the idiotic "the truth is in the middle" stance that minorities loathe so much coming from white people.

Also as a shooter its just less fun than the first game somehow. Being only able to carry 2 weapons in a game where you upgrade weapons is amazingly stupid.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 9, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Unreal_One posted:

I don't get the hate for Bioshock Infinite, but I didn't really get the love for Bioshock, either. They're games with mediocre, low impact shooting, an interesting aesthetic, and a story I don't care for.

Bioshock was kind of novel for its time, a neat retro-futuristic style in an era full of boring identical fpses. Also you could harpoon enemies in the face and pin them to the wall.

Bioshock Infinite was not a good game but I enjoyed it enough to go to bat for the base game, at least when the plot was somewhat open to interpretation. The dlc was irredeemable poo poo though and retroactively ruined both the base game and the original Bioshock.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You know the more outlandish nuclear waste facility plans that included reverse terraforming the surrounding area so it would look like an alien hellscape and would generate severe, even traumatic psychological aversion just approaching it?

That's Bioshock infinite

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my impression of infinite is that it's just kind of a mediocre tone-deaf aaa game, but unlike a lot of similar games it kind of struck precisely at this single moment when the argument over whether video games ARE A TRUE ART FORM was raging its hardest and that combined with being the big new bioshock game, a game in a series that had always been known for tackling extremely deep political themes, just shined an unbelievably massive spotlight on it that it'd literally never possibly get today now that both the argument that popularized it and big aaa games of its particular nature have kind of gone out of fashion at least as far as being the literal center of everything in the industry at a given moment, and games that actually deserved that spotlight and at the time would've been more likely to be passed up are now actually getting it

and that's kinda why i want to play it, to see if i'm actually on the money about any of that lol

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Internet Kraken posted:

The game says that a rebelling working class is just as bad as their white supremacist oppressors. Its extremely tone deaf at best and actively racist at worst, despite trying to condemn that viewpoint.

Yeah, there's no real defending the "slave revolts is as bad as slavery" bit.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i feel like i have to play bioshock infinite because i'm very curious about the game that exploded through the power of dumb internet slapfights over an argument that literally hasn't been relevant since the year it released because it was so pathetically meaningless

If you're talking about the vox populi and both sides-ism it hasn't been more relevant and it makes the game even dumber than it was when it came out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Unreal_One posted:

And yet, Burial at Sea manages to take that part and make it even worse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You are on the money about it except for the mediocre part, it's still a good game and worth playing, going into it understanding that the complaints about the story are in no way exaggerated will help it stay that way I think. You don't wanna be that guy that goes in completely review-unseen and makes a sour lemon face at it the whole time.

Unreal_One posted:

I have always disagreed that the game pushes this perspective. The Vox Populi's uprising is pretty clearly portrayed as being deserved vengeance imo and even when they are against you they're still shown as the sympathetic underclass, with the people that are told to fight you specifically being your only opposition from them even after they vilify you and put your face up everywhere. There is no "the truth is in the middle" narrative. The game clearly portrays the Vox as being in the right from the get-go, while also demonstrating that brutality itself goes both ways even if idealism does not. Not to spoil it right off the bat for The Colonel but it's hard to talk about it without it getting into that territory very quickly.

edit: And I don't even like the story of Bioshock Infinite. I just feel like it's easily misrepresented in a way that's not so fair to it. Does it deserve fairness, maybe not, but still.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 9, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

You are on the money about it except for the mediocre part, it's still a good game and worth playing, going into it understanding that the complaints about the story are in no way exaggerated will help it stay that way I think. You don't wanna be that guy that goes in completely review-unseen and makes a sour lemon face at it the whole time.

Take away the plot and you have a linear corridor shooter with maybe three open arenas that barely suggest the kind of gameplay the game was presenting before it turned out to all be fake.

Shadow Warrior came out the same year. It was a better shooter with none of the baggage.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

If you're talking about the vox populi and both sides-ism it hasn't been more relevant and it makes the game even dumber than it was when it came out.

that part is more relevant but at the time wasn't what propelled the game's notoriety, and honestly these days i still don't think it would make the game register as much as it did back then just because it still wouldn't be hitting the aaa high it was in 2013. it's been a while but iirc the big releases were a lot more, well, big at the time. they're still big now but there's been a bigger shift in popularity around stuff that used to never even get the time of day

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

Shadow Warrior came out the same year.

:psyduck:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sit and think for a moment about the fact that serious sam 3 came out seven years ago

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

al-azad posted:

Take away the plot and you have a linear corridor shooter with maybe three open arenas that barely suggest the kind of gameplay the game was presenting before it turned out to all be fake.

Shadow Warrior came out the same year. It was a better shooter with none of the baggage.

Linear corridor shooters aren't the bad thing, and also I dunno if you missed it but I worded my first post specifically like this

quote:

Bioshock Infinite is a fun video game with potentially good mechanical depth that it falls just short of delivering on (but good base mechanics) and real good character interactions but a pretty hackneyed overall plot. G3F4

for a reason. Bioshock Infinite had a lot of stuff that it could have done to make the gameplay a lot deeper, and some of the preview videos show that off, but the full thing just omits it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

I have always disagreed that the game pushes this narrative. The Vox Populi's uprising is pretty clearly portrayed as being deserved vengeance imo and even when they are against you they're still shown as the sympathetic underclass, with the people that are told to fight you specifically being your only opposition from them even after they vilify you and put your face up everywhere. There is no "the truth is in the middle" narrative. The game clearly portrays the Vox as being in the right from the get-go, while also demonstrating that brutality itself goes both ways even if idealism does not. Not to spoil it right off the bat for The Colonel but it's hard to talk about it without it getting into that territory very quickly.

Yeah except there are multiple instances where the game demonizes the revolters by having them do and say comically evil poo poo. Also the game basically has to sabotage Fitzroy's character to give you a reason for all the Vox to turn against you. And even then, implying that all freedom fighters are mindless enough to blindly follow their leader's orders to kill someone without question is insulting. The game makes them out to be better than the literal racist but depicting them as evil at all is really hosed up, and you spend the majority of the second half of the game mowing them down without a care.

The game is taking the stupid stance that while the Vox's revolt is to be expected, their extreme violence is unacceptable and they should go about things in a more dignified manner. Its the most white guy take.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The Colonel posted:

sit and think for a moment about the fact that serious sam 3 came out seven years ago

This would mean more if Serious Sam 3 was a good game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Propaganda Hour posted:

This would mean more if Serious Sam 3 was a good game.

yeah...

i got a modern computer for serious sam 3 and i'm glad i went on to use it for lots of other games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you didn't play the Shadow Warrior reboot it's good. It was everything Rise of the Triad 2013 should've been.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shadow warrior 2013 was ok and actually turned lo wang into a kind of decent character but it's been heavily outclassed by doom and just doesn't have great shooting

i think people said shadow warrior 2 was pretty decent though

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Linear corridor shooters aren't the bad thing, and also I dunno if you missed it but I worded my first post specifically like this

for a reason. Bioshock Infinite had a lot of stuff that it could have done to make the gameplay a lot deeper, and some of the preview videos show that off, but the full thing just omits it.

I just can't recommend anyone spend 10 hours with the thing. I couldn't in 2013 and I'm not in a future where 2017 was the greatest year for games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No I did, I... I just didn't remember it being that old...

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

al-azad posted:

If you didn't the Shadow Warrior reboot it's good. It was everything Rise of the Triad 2013 should've been.

God isn't this the truth. RotT 2013 just couldn't marry old school movement speed and modern level design. I wanted to like RotT 2013 so badly but it's just too frustrating and poorly executed to play.

Edit: Shadow Warrior 2 is pretty good, too!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah except there are multiple instances where the game demonizes the revolters by having them do and say comically evil poo poo. Also the game basically has to sabotage Fitzroy's character to give you a reason for all the Vox to turn against you. And even then, implying that all freedom fighters are mindless enough to blindly follow their leader's orders to kill someone without question is insulting. The game makes them out to be better than the literal racist but depicting them as evil at all is really hosed up, and you spend the majority of the second half of the game mowing them down without a care.

The game is taking the stupid stance that while the Vox's revolt is to be expected, their extreme violence is unacceptable and they should go about things in a more dignified manner. Its the most white guy take.

Bioshock Infinite presents the idea that you can be a reeeeeal lovely person and still be better off than the other guy from a moral standpoint. It's what the entire game is about and it's a valid perspective. It's even down to the very core themes of the game and the main characters on a personal level. They don't portray it with the most nuance they probably could, and I agree that vilifying the Vox against you instead of having you work with them was a mistake, but that's not the same thing as "the truth is in the middle".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
2013: shadow warrior is one of the best fps game reboots

2016-2017: doom and prey are both the best fps game reboots ever made and also a sequel to a cult action jrpg is one of the most popular and celebrated games of the year and the new zelda game is weird and cool again and mario is weird and cool again and some guys made a neat ambitious boss attack game and went through heavy financial trouble and it actually paid off and also nintendo has released one of the most popular game consoles ever

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Actually rewatching the preview footage the vox are portrayed as Mad Max ravagers basically eating people in the street so in that way the final game is an improvement.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
one of my coworkers thinks the bioshock games are the greatest games ever made and i keep trying to convince him to play prey but he's just like naaahhhh looks lame but all be does these days is just play destiny 2 exclusively so we

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

Actually rewatching the preview footage the vox are portrayed as Mad Max ravagers basically eating people in the street so in that way the final game is an improvement.

the truth was in the middle after all

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Maybe having a complex moral storyline doesn’t work so well in a medium where you spend 90% of the time brutally mowing down hundreds of people.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Maybe having a complex moral storyline doesn’t work so well in a genre where you spend 90% of the time brutally mowing down hundreds of people.

It can work but you have to make to effort to integrate the fact you're indiscriminately mowing down hundreds of people into the story you're trying to tell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Far as I'm aware SE still haven't even made an official statement saying they're bringing DQ11 over.

They did, but they've only announced the PS4 version IIRC.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just play Doom 2016. you are morally in the right the entire time and the game doesn't suck balls

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

just play Doom 2016. you are morally in the right the entire time and the game doesn't suck balls

Hmm. Disagree. Try Titanfall 2 instead

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

alf_pogs posted:

If only you could talk to the creatures.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

In Training posted:

Hmm. Disagree. Try Titanfall 2 instead

They're both really good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Although im not far enough in titanfall 2 to see where the moral ambiguity lies so atm I'm assuming im still the good guy despite punching hundreds of mooks into fine red mist with a massive metal fist

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

“Maybe the truth is in the middle!” shouts Booker DeWitt, as he scores a double headshot for massive critical damage.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Atlus just announced shin megami tensei: doom

it's maken x but with demon negotiations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

“Maybe the truth is in the middle!” shouts Booker DeWitt, as he scores a double headshot for massive critical damage.

Actually Elizabeth shouts that, while Booker goes "wuh??? that's bullshit, everything is bullshit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CJacobs posted:

"helldemons" is a bigoted term, please refer to them as "the alt-mortal"

• Locked thread