Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Civ6 Rise and Fall seems good if you already like Civ6. If you don't, it doesn't fix anything beyond some minor UI improvements. The AI is still literally incapable of taking cities which either have walls or a ranged defender, because it gets scared and pulls its units back when they are damaged.

My rise and fall game so far:

Spain settles new city near my capital.
Spain makes fun of me due to my smaller population, turns unfriendly.
New city revolts due to all the loyalty pressure (New mechanic which the AI doesn't seem to understand).
Newly free city sends it's slinger to attack me for some reason. Really balls up my fight against a barb camp and my archer dies :grr:
Newly free city who just attacked me swears loyalty and joins my empire.
Spain is now impressed by my larger population, becomes friendly.

Meanwhile on my other border:
Australia greets me, vows to stand together against warmongers.
Australia sends a delegation.Becomes friendly.
Australia pays me to open borders. We seem to be good buddies.
Australia rolls up an army to my border and declares a surprise war.
The one archer in my capital wounds a few of their units (3 of 8?) all units then run away.

So, weird thus far. I suppose I'll build more units and beat up Australia until they regret their decision. Maybe I'll wipe them out and see if Spain hates me. If so, they can go too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Synthbuttrange posted:

steam will know your shame though.

steam will know.

nice

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darkrenown posted:

The AI is still literally incapable of taking cities which either have walls or a ranged defender, because it gets scared and pulls its units back when they are damaged.

and when they are not damaged

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Are the Monster Hunter bits in Peace Walker representative of what the actual games play like? Dodging the same couple of attacks and chipping away at a giant health bar for 30 minutes in the hope of random drops wasn't really fun.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Are the Monster Hunter bits in Peace Walker representative of what the actual games play like? Dodging the same couple of attacks and chipping away at a giant health bar for 30 minutes in the hope of random drops wasn't really fun.

That's my entire exposure to Monster Hunter and all I remember is dying instantly :smith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are Monster Hunter hot takes half off this week or what

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Why is it when some Steam game is being discussed a bit in the Steam games thread there's always some dorkus who's annoyed about it?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is this gameplay in a joke mission in a completely separate series with completely different gameplay representative of the real thing is an interesting question to say the least.

And no, it's not.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Orv posted:

no, it's not.

Good to know - this new game looks great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SelenicMartian posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/733500

Logistical: Russia is live in case you hate yourself.

Russia adds:
- airplanes, airports, airways, airport trucks and airport zones

Also, there's a patch with a GUI overhaul for the entire series.

I want it, I need it, I love this game. :getin:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Why is it when some Steam game is being discussed a bit in the Steam games thread there's always some dorkus who's annoyed about it?
Monster Hunter isn't on Steam. Yet. It was pushed to "Autumn 2018" since the development team is working on the port themselves. Which, given past Capcom history of doing their own ports, probably means they've outsourced it to QLOC. Which honestly isn't a bad thing, since QLOC's porting work is generally pretty solid.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I bought God Eater 2 in the anime sale and it’s very anime so far. The first character introduced, CatladyMcTits has a ridiculous appetite as her defining character trait, there is a pop idol, a teenage delinquent with a heart of gold and at least one example of Undefined Generic Disease. The number of ellipses is appropriate as well.

Gameplay is fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Remember its a two pack. You got God Eater 1 along with 2. Its got the better story and characters of the two

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Darkrenown posted:

Civ6 Rise and Fall seems good if you already like Civ6. If you don't, it doesn't fix anything beyond some minor UI improvements. The AI is still literally incapable of taking cities which either have walls or a ranged defender, because it gets scared and pulls its units back when they are damaged.
drat, that's not encouraging.... I still got it because that's one of the two series I've played all my life, but I might just have to play pacifist or something, because getting involved in any kind of warfare seems basically cheating - much more so than civ5 ever did.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I kinda like Civ6 (although I'm ridiculously bad at these games) but I would honestly like it better if the AI just... never talked. The agenda messages you get from them are incredibly bad at conveying what they want and it just feels frustrating.

In my first Rise and Fall game I started next to Genghis Khan and Alexander. Genghis of course went to war with me almost immediately and when I finally beat him Alexander came up and told me "How do you intend on growing your empire if you refuse to fight for your people?!". Like, what he heck is that even supposed to mean I just won a war. Others are even more vague, and they pop up all the drat time. I know the AI doesn't make sense in this game, but do you have to remind me every 5 minutes? :arghfist::saddowns:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In Civ: Beyond Earth's expansion they added a feature where most diplomatic messages would pop up in the corner, without interrupting the end-of-turn sequence. It was a big improvement. Ah well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Would Steam's recommendations for me be better if I rated the games I've played? Does that do anything? Like I wanna say if I was designing the recommendation system I'd make sure that it took that into account but I can't assume the people who made it have any sense

Orv
May 4, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Would Steam's recommendations for me be better if I rated the games I've played? Does that do anything? Like I wanna say if I was designing the recommendation system I'd make sure that it took that into account but I can't assume the people who made it have any sense

Hahaha, no.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

John Murdoch posted:

The important thing to understand about Agents of Mayhem is that despite having an open world, it's not an open world game in the same vein as Saints Row at all. It's a weird budget-level Frankenstein built from scraps of Darkspore, Diablo, City of Heroes, Saints Row, Overwatch, and Infamous.

It's actually pretty good despite being a huge mess, but you have to know what you're getting into.

Agents of Mayhem feels like Volition realizing they're a niche developer at best and then trying to make a focus-tested game that's a mash-up of a bunch of other popular games. Overwatch is the big stand out influence, they couldn't have possibly made it a more obvious Overwatch rip-off homage.

My biggest problem with the game is that it looks for all intents and purposes like the perfect 4-player co-op game and yet it's singleplayer only. Not even loving local co-op, what the gently caress.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

signalnoise posted:

Filtering out anime, RPG maker and early access tags greatly improved my recommended queue and I would do the same even if you play some anime/EA games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

signalnoise posted:

Valve already officially admitted that there's literally no algorithm at play there, none. No matter if you press "yes" or "no" it only leads to the next game in the queue being shown to you. You'll even be shown games you already noped in case you changed your mind :downs:.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Filtering out anime, RPG maker and early access tags greatly improved my recommended queue and I would do the same even if you play some anime/EA games.

I didn't even know you could filter out tags! Where do you do that?

Ever since I bought RPG Maker during a sale my recommended list has been nothing but 90% anime RPG Maker games and it's uh... a bit much.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Palpek posted:

Valve already officially admitted that there's literally no algorithm at play there, none. No matter if you press "yes" or "no" it only leads to the next game in the queue being shown to you. You'll even be shown games you already noped in case you changed your mind :downs:.

Why doesn't this surprise me... Meanwhile they've overhauled Dota 2's interface twice in the past year or so. Gotta pretty up that crate treadmill.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Attack of the Earthlings came out yesterday, and it's XCOM, but you're the bugs fighting Earthlings. No idea if it's any good, but hey, here it is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Your Computer posted:

I didn't even know you could filter out tags! Where do you do that?

Ever since I bought RPG Maker during a sale my recommended list has been nothing but 90% anime RPG Maker games and it's uh... a bit much.

Click on your discovery queue, click on the Customize button just above the Next Game arrow, then enter whatever tags you want excluded.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

You can also harvest monster parts in God Eater.

Lol I just started this game a few days ago. Boob Hammer might beat Kirkhammer for best hammer in gaming.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
sooo anyone buy deadly premonition on steam and get it to work at a non-complete shitshow level? there were a few steam community guides i tried following but im an idiot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dom is Here posted:

sooo anyone buy deadly premonition on steam and get it to work at a non-complete shitshow level? there were a few steam community guides i tried following but im an idiot.

It's going to be a shitshow regardless of what you do. Just make sure you're running in Windows 98/ME compatibility and perhaps set the affinity of the .exe to one core. Also save often and play on easy.

It's all worth it though, hell of a game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

King Vidiot posted:

Agents of Mayhem feels like Volition realizing they're a niche developer at best and then trying to make a focus-tested game that's a mash-up of a bunch of other popular games. Overwatch is the big stand out influence, they couldn't have possibly made it a more obvious Overwatch rip-off homage.

My biggest problem with the game is that it looks for all intents and purposes like the perfect 4-player co-op game and yet it's singleplayer only. Not even loving local co-op, what the gently caress.

There's nothing about Agents of Mayhem that's anything like Overwatch though. It's a straight up Darkspore riff, but third person shooter instead of diablo-esque aRPG. Overwatch is a multiplayer only, match based PvP first person shooter with no meta-mechanics. Agents of Mayhem is a singleplayer only, proc-gen instanced with optional sandbox, third person shooter with loot and tag-team charater switching. But yeah it's one defining failure is that it doesn't have a coop mode, despite being perfect for that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dom is Here posted:

hah, you want deadly premonition to run well

or play well

hah

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I normally don't suggest this but Deadly Premonition is definitely one of those games you can watch a let's play of and miss nothing. The gameplay is really poor and the writing/atmosphere is decent which you can get by just watching it. If you are interested in watching it, I would suggest Giant Bomb's let's play of it. It is really funny and entertaining.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
There's also an LP by our own supergreatfriend that was fantastic with great commentary. The original thread was goldmined https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004 and is also available at the LP archive https://lparchive.org/Deadly-Premonition/

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think LPing it is doing the game a serious disservice. You should put up with some bugs and play it. Exploring the town at your own pace is worth it.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Cantorsdust posted:

There's also an LP by our own supergreatfriend that was fantastic with great commentary. The original thread was goldmined https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004 and is also available at the LP archive https://lparchive.org/Deadly-Premonition/

Oh cool, I enjoy SGF's lps and had no idea he was a goon.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

SGF's LP of it is really good but if you can tolerate bad combat I agree that you'll get a little more out of it if you play it yourself.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think LPing it is doing the game a serious disservice. You should put up with some bugs and play it. Exploring the town at your own pace is worth it.

Ya I pretty much agree with this despite recommending to LP it. Of course playing it will be a different experience and more whole but definitely not enjoyable for some especially if you are bothered by bad gameplay.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

il_cornuto posted:

SGF's LP of it is really good but if you can tolerate bad combat I agree that you'll get a little more out of it if you play it yourself.

This, yeah. I did a playthrough of it like just before SGF's LP of it and it was fun to be able to experience everything first-hand myself and then see SGF's reactions to it and maybe catch things that I missed.

I actually bought a 360 just for that game, there was a bunch of goon hype for it and it seemed like my kind of weird so I bit the bullet and bought a refurb and that game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cantorsdust posted:

Link to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpYKx9m3NU

All the links on lparchive are dead, and Internet Archive isn't great with videos.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I can't say much about Deadly Premonition because I only got about 3 hours into it, but I only got about 3 hours into it and you guys have seen some of the crap I put up with. It's easily one of the worst ports on Steam and I remember getting frustrated with the gameplay even outside of the awful combat.

0. Tiny Barbarian DX
1. Shank 2
2. Odallus: The Dark Call
3. Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
4. Squishy the Suicidal Pig
5. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
6. Vessel
7. Owlboy
8. NOT A HERO

9. Castle of Illusion

I’m going to be honest… I was a Nintendo kid, so when I picked this up I kinda thought it was The Magical Quest. That’s the one where Mickey gets costumes with special powers, like a firefighter or Carnac the Magnificent. Castle of Illusion obviously isn’t that, it’s a remake of a classic SEGA cart and for my part I was still willing to give it a shot. I have no nostalgia for a game I never played, so you can believe me when I say this one holds up just fine on its own. Despite a few polish concerns Castle of Illusion does a lot with its limited mechanics and scope, making up for them with wonderfully creative levels.

The ubiquitous mouse is out on a picnic with his gal Minnie when the dastardly witch Mizrabel snatches her away for a dark ritual. Mickey gives chase back to the crone’s castle, a twisted edifice filled with portals to illusory worlds. There’s no way up to the tower where Minnie is held, but if Mickey can collect seven rainbow gems from the castle they’ll form a magical bridge he can cross. Grabbing them is no mean feat though, for each is held by one of Mizrabel’s masters of illusion who hold sway in their dreamlike domains.

Mickey’s definitely taking a few pages out of Mario’s book here, and not just from the lost sweetheart chapter. From the free 3D roaming of the castle to the fantasic pocket worlds to the scavenger list of magic gems to collect, Castle of Illusion hearkens heavily back to Mario 64 in structure and style. There are five rooms in the castle that lead to different worlds, each locked until you find the rainbow gem and a prescribed number of diamonds in the previous world. Within each world you’ll face a mix of 2D and 3D platforming, bouncing off enemies and hopping from ledge to ledge in search of gems and the exit. You’ll have two pure platforming levels per world, capped off by some kind of boss to topple.

What makes Castle of Illusion special is how each realm is used to pose new challenges. The initial forest world has a great deal of verticality to explore by bouncing off of bats and insects, while the toy world features side areas themed around different toy sets. By far my favorite world is the library, which is filled with giant books that both shove you around and serve as makeshift platforms. There are tons of secrets to turn up here, even before you find adjoining passages to a candyland of flowing cream and floating cookies. Beyond the diamonds there are health and extra life pickups to find, as well as some well-hidden collectibles like castle statues, playing cards, and chili peppers which all unlock certain features back in the castle proper.

The bosses in particular stand out as high points, as they have very clear and creative patterns that still require decent reflexes to overcome. Most of the enemies and even the platforming aren’t that challenging until the final level or so, which could be a turn-off to hardcore platforming enthusiasts. The only other knock I have against Castle of Illusion is in some lacking aspects of the polish. Mid-budget platformers and remakes in general seem to end up feeling a bit cheaper than they should, and here it’s due to some thin sound effect design, a lack of feedback for combat, and some floaty movement. Really nothing you do has much weight to it, and while the cartoonish antics don’t demand it the overall game feel is worse for not having it as a consideration.

I’ll not knock the game’s graphics, though. Castle of Illusion perfectly channels Mickey and his grimmer adventures, tempering the darkness with adorable enemies pulled right from classic films. Mickey himself looks fantastic, and really pops against the colorful backgrounds and art. Between that and the excellent narrator reading along with the story, you’ll find a strong offering for the aesthetically-minded. And for everyone else, there are a couple hours of quality platforming to partake of. It won’t set the world on fire but Castle of Illusion delivers where it counts, giving our friend Mickey fanciful worlds to run and jump and explore in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Have some free games!

Only registered members can see post attachments!