Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bioshock infiite is probably the closest thing we’ll ever get to a triple a zybourne clock game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Were sad dad games a thing before the combo of Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does God of War count

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

In Training posted:

Hmm. Disagree. Try Titanfall 2 instead

also strongly encouraged

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does Titanfall 2 have a good story?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I am not a fan of Call of Duty (the last one I played was Modern Warfare) but Titanfall 2 was ace and one of the only times I have been successful playing an FPS game on a console!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

depends if you like the iron giant or not, really. but even if you dont it has grappling hooks and wallrunning mechanics for days

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
bioshock infinite is a real mess and no mistake. the first few hours are pretty great - everything up to around the beach, i wanna say? - but the combat is only ever fun a handful of times, even if you use all the magic powers, the encounter/arena design is completely uninspired and simple. and when it's not simple, it's tedious, like the graveyard boss fight. there are a few times where you get to zip around while you fight but very, very few of them. like seriously i can remember two times.

story wise it's just eh even at its best. like no part of the story made me give much of a poo poo at all because everything that had promise was at some point in the game ruined.

just imho

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Congrats to Smash Bros Melee, a decade old game, for beating MVCI that launched six months ago.

What are Melee people gonna do when they can no longer get the correctly manufactured defect controllers for their meta?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played Shadow of the Colossus for the first time last night, on PS4. Goddamn. I mean goddamn! That game really is something else. I killed the first two colossi, that was absolutely badass! I even ate a couple lizard tails too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finished RE0 and moved on to RE4. Now that Ive experienced the series up to this point, 4 is even more incredible in my eyes. What a remarkable game

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Were sad dad games a thing before the combo of Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us?

The Walking Dead Season 1 was consensus GOTY in 2012.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Macaluso posted:

Update: I figured out the puzzle. I feel like both a loving genius and a huge idiot at the same time. 10/10

IMO that means it's a good puzzle! Nice job

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jay Rust posted:

The story and characters are pretty simple, but fun. It's a "boy and his dog" thing but the dog is a robot mecha suit. But if by story you mean "a good campaign" it's got the coolest FPS level design I've seen in years and a ton of variety, it's a wild ride

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

looks like i got in a vermintide 2 tech test for the weekend so that's my saturday sorted

the EULA looks like it's pretty strict so i hope i didn't breach it by saying i got in

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sunning posted:

The Walking Dead Season 1 was consensus GOTY in 2012.

Myst was the first widely successful sad dad series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, I always knew that Dead Space's Unitology was a pastiche of Scientology, but I got bored this morning and was reading up on it and jeez the link is way more obvious and in-depth than I assumed. Dead Space 2 goes really 'deep cover' on Unitology and the actual process, especially in the church sequence, and it's pretty much spot on save for some added future brainwashing tech. Dead Space 2 is seriously like gently caress Scientology: The Video Game.

edit: If I ever did a let's play of Dead Space 2 I'd title the thread The Best Anti-Religion Seminar You'll Ever Sit Through - Let's Play Dead Space 2

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 9, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played a bit of Daggerfall this morning (it’s free), it’s really bad. Labyrinthine dungeon design and a whole world of nothing surrounding it

It’s got tits though :heysexy:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I am getting the feeling that Best Buy hosed up and I will not actually get to play Under Night today.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I played a bit of Daggerfall this morning (it’s free), it’s really bad. Labyrinthine dungeon design and a whole world of nothing surrounding it

It’s got tits though :heysexy:

VEEEEENGEEEEEAAAAAAANNNNCE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Colonel posted:

some guys made a neat ambitious boss attack game and went through heavy financial trouble and it actually paid off

Which game is this?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

Which game is this?

sounds like Cuphead

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

looks like i got in a vermintide 2 tech test for the weekend so that's my saturday sorted

the EULA looks like it's pretty strict so i hope i didn't breach it by saying i got in

thats it ur banned

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Really Pants posted:

sounds like Cuphead

which is funny because the final product is not a boss rush game, because people complained.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I mean it is still a boss rush game just with a couple of token shooter levels thrown in.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm struggling to see what one good game being released one year had to do with a bunch of good games being released last year.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

VideoGames posted:

thats it ur banned

destroyed... by my own hubris...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codenameFANGIO posted:

because people complained.

Uhhhh isn't the general consensus that Cuphead was way stronger as a boss rush only game?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the non boss levels weren't as bad as people feared but at the same time, people only really talk about the the bosses when they talk about the game, so delaying the game to add them probably was still dumb

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one of the few delays cuphead had was to add the run and gun levels in addition to the boss battles. it's unclear if this was due to executive meddling due to poor reactions from focus groups, or if the guys headlining the project wanted to have run and gun levels (they said the delay was because they wanted to make the game "the best it could be" or something like that).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CJacobs posted:

I have always disagreed that the game pushes this perspective. The Vox Populi's uprising is pretty clearly portrayed as being deserved vengeance imo and even when they are against you they're still shown as the sympathetic underclass, with the people that are told to fight you specifically being your only opposition from them even after they vilify you and put your face up everywhere. There is no "the truth is in the middle" narrative. The game clearly portrays the Vox as being in the right from the get-go, while also demonstrating that brutality itself goes both ways even if idealism does not.

"The only difference between Comstock and Fitzroy is how you spell the name." - your in-game avatar
https://youtu.be/AKakEM6UFUQ?t=10m

You could have taken 5 minutes to look this up so you didn't look silly. It's not like everyone else somehow managed to come to a different conclusion from you by mistake.

codenameFANGIO posted:

which is funny because the final product is not a boss rush game, because people complained.

Pretty sure it was Microsoft who mandated it have more than boss rush levels. I'm glad the devs didn't lose their homes but man was that game undeserving of all the praise it got.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 9, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

raditts posted:

"The only difference between Comstock and Fitzroy is how you spell the name." - your in-game avatar
https://youtu.be/AKakEM6UFUQ?t=10m

You could have taken 5 minutes to look this up so you didn't look silly. It's not like everyone else somehow managed to come to a different conclusion from you by mistake.

And as the game clearly shows you, booker is always right and definitely judgmental of situations beyond his comprehension from a levelheaded and objective point of view. There is no way his opinion of them is tinted by the current situation of them wanting to murder him

edit: Also, reminder that he doesn't even believe what he says there himself in the world you jump to, because in that world he was the co-leader of the Vox revolution

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 9, 2018

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I said come in! posted:

X-Com 2 is a crazy amount of fun and is super intense and stressful. I regret not buying this game when it first came out. I like that you don't know how badly your decisions might screw you over. Every choice needs to be a calculated risk and could potentially make the game harder for you.

legendary ironman xcom 2 is the ultimate gaming experience

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CJacobs posted:

And as the game clearly shows you, booker is always right and definitely judgmental of situations beyond his comprehension from a levelheaded and objective point of view. There is no way his opinion of them is tinted by the current situation of them wanting to murder him

edit: Also, reminder that he doesn't even believe what he says there himself in the world you jump to, because in that world he was the co-leader of the Vox revolution

That scene takes place before they start attacking you but sure, keep moving those goalposts

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

if you want to argue the message of bioshock infinite is definitely not "perhaps the answer lies somewhere in the middle" that's up to you but you're probably not going to find a heck of a lot of support for your viewpoint from the vast majority of people who played the game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

raditts posted:

That scene takes place before they start attacking you but sure, keep moving those goalposts

Fair enough on the bolded segment, it's not long before Fitzroy discovers you're there and orders your head on a plate, but before that you're just seeing the results of their destruction. But even still, there's no goalpost moving going on. My point is that the story doesn't pretend for a minute that Booker is an objective actor and he displays as much to you and the other characters several times, so his opinion the matter is pretty irrelevant. He's not a mouthpiece for the game's themes, to the point where up until the very bitter end he's still rejecting it all.

Cowcaster posted:

if you want to argue the message of bioshock infinite is definitely not "perhaps the answer lies somewhere in the middle" that's up to you but you're probably not going to find a heck of a lot of support for your viewpoint from the vast majority of people who played the game

That's fine, I'm willing to defend it, specifically because it's like the one area of the game they gave any form of nuance to and to see that boiled down with the rest of the crap really sucks.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 9, 2018

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anyone on the fence about trying Titanfall 2 should know the words PRESS Y TO TIME TRAVEL happen and honestly if they don't want to play after that they got issues.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

I am getting the feeling that Best Buy hosed up and I will not actually get to play Under Night today.

Confirmed! They hosed up my order. I just got a notification saying that the item I ordered was not currently available for in store pick up, which is funny considering I loving preordered it!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wow best buy just sent me a free copy of undernight which i didn't order. lucky day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why you gotta be a dick?

• Locked thread