Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

bizarre deformity posted:

Anyway, that trade would be terrible because Lundqvist is like 45 or whatever. We could get better assets for Kane/Lehner/whoever.

I thought you were a buffalo fan for some reason, I apologize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rangers announcing a firesale means that Hawks have to postpone doing one of their own. :mad:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Furnaceface posted:

Rangers announcing a firesale means that Hawks have to postpone doing one of their own. :mad:

Who exactly are the Hawks gonna trade? Seabrook?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Hank is still a very good goalie but he's not going anywhere.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

grack posted:

Look Im trying to convince myself the Hawks didnt Canucks themselves with all those long bad contracts, ok?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Look Im trying to convince myself the Hawks didnt Canucks themselves with all those long bad contracts, ok?

I think you can only "Canuck" yourself, if you sign borederline players to grossly inflated contracts after you didn't win a cup.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll take a OTL on a back to back. Rather have the win, but after last night's marathon, I'm fine with that.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Good road trip Golden Knights. Good road trip.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Matt Zerella posted:

Hank is still a very good goalie but he's not going anywhere.

Why write that kind of letter though unless they are planning a Scary Trade?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Chad Sexington posted:

Trading McDonagh and Zucc and Nash is pretty loving gnarly by anyone's standards. Even 2 of the 3. That letter doesn't necessarily mean Hank's on his way out.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

No one is taking that contract and the Rangers won't retain with 3 years left on it.

Wamsutta nailed it. Zucc and McD are almost as beloved as Hank and it's gonna hurt like hell to see either of them in another sweater.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Re: Vegas:
https://twitter.com/JamieHersch/status/961860636794761216
:psyduck:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nothing about what Vegas is doing makes any sense. The Senators didn't reach 36 franchise wins until partway into their 4th season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

Nothing about what Vegas is doing makes any sense. The Senators didn't reach 36 franchise wins until partway into their 4th season.

I view it like this, it's four parts:

1. Favorable expansion draft rules. Find the teams that protected 4D and grab forwards from then, then build out from there (ex: Neal).
2. Players with something to prove (aka "chips on their shoulders").
3. A change of scenery can be a big difference (ex: Subban).
4. A lot of NHL GMs are massive dumbasses (ex: Florida's)

Also, Vicas put it pretty well: "i think it's also a team made entirely of second and third liners, with just a little top end talent, is a lot better than most people gave it credit for"

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
vegas-tampa will be a fun scf

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

fits posted:

vegas-tampa will be a fun scf

Oops you got 2012 MAF, no more playoffs for you

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Levitate posted:

I think Lundqvist is too old and has too many years left on his contract to really attract much attention

He's going to end up in Chicago as management decides we were just one heathy Crawford away.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vegas' success kinda owns tbh

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

grack posted:

Saad. Again.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Vegas is cool but I really don't want them to win the Cup

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

iospace posted:

I view it like this, it's four parts:

1. Favorable expansion draft rules. Find the teams that protected 4D and grab forwards from then, then build out from there (ex: Neal).
2. Players with something to prove (aka "chips on their shoulders").
3. A change of scenery can be a big difference (ex: Subban).
4. A lot of NHL GMs are massive dumbasses (ex: Florida's)

Also, Vicas put it pretty well: "i think it's also a team made entirely of second and third liners, with just a little top end talent, is a lot better than most people gave it credit for"

I think they're probably getting a bit of "luck" in all this, as in it seems like no one is going through slumps and everything has been clicking since day 1 (though their issue with goaltending injuries early in the season was rough) but also the coaching deserves some kudos because I think playing that up tempo aggressive style is the perfect kind of system for a team made up of 2nd and 3rd line talent. Which is why I want AV fired at this point because the Rangers MO has been "made up of 2nd and 3rd line talent" for years now but they've been getting more and more passive in their play and it doesn't work and yes I have to make everything about the Rangers.

Where the trades at.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
George McPhee is great

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Almost all the Knights are shooting at least 3% over their career average, some much more (looking at you Karlsson)
Either all of those players are much better than they seemed to be (and statistics mean nothing) or they're going to regress real hard.
So go along for the ride but by god get off that train before next season comes around.

Remember the lessons of the 2013-14 Avs

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
if I were a gm I'd be trying to steal the knights draft picks for next year

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Vegas is cool but I really don't want them to win the Cup

Vegas winning the Cup would be the funniest thing in the history of Sport

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Brendan Smith cleared waivers and was assigned to the AHL.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zodijackylite posted:

Brendan Smith cleared waivers and was assigned to the AHL.

Bye bitch

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Semi regular reminder most of you thought the draft rules were bad for Vegas and then that McPhee blew it.

Also you liked Dustin Brown and LA.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Levitate posted:

I think playing that up tempo aggressive style is the perfect kind of system for a team made up of 2nd and 3rd line talent. Which is why I want AV fired at this point because the Rangers MO has been "made up of 2nd and 3rd line talent" for years now but they've been getting more and more passive in their play and it doesn't work and yes I have to make everything about the Rangers.

Where the trades at.

I mean if we didn’t choke multiple games away late we’re in the ECF last year.

I think because we have the same roster construction as LV is exactly why this is not AV’s fault. That 2nd/3rd line system is all about exploiting depth. You lose that depth via injury and it all falls apart. You don’t have any elite talent who can take over a game and carry the team for you when everyone else is poo poo. Sure Hank is a star player but he can’t score goals. Take any coach in the league and put them behind the rangers bench and I don’t think you’re seeing that much of an improvement as currently constituted. You NEED those 4 2nd/3rd line otherwise you’re just at a disadvantage on all 4 lines.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

So how badly has Vegas screwed over team 32? Can’t imagine them getting the same expansion draft rules with how well he Knights have done.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

So how badly has Vegas screwed over team 32? Can’t imagine them getting the same expansion draft rules with how well he Knights have done.

I think they might get rid of the protection options and just let you keep 9/10 guys. i'm not sure it would help though, if they were picking a month ago they might end up with duclair, deangelo, and some other decent guys.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

I mean if we didn’t choke multiple games away late we’re in the ECF last year.

I think because we have the same roster construction as LV is exactly why this is not AV’s fault. That 2nd/3rd line system is all about exploiting depth. You lose that depth via injury and it all falls apart. You don’t have any elite talent who can take over a game and carry the team for you when everyone else is poo poo. Sure Hank is a star player but he can’t score goals. Take any coach in the league and put them behind the rangers bench and I don’t think you’re seeing that much of an improvement as currently constituted. You NEED those 4 2nd/3rd line otherwise you’re just at a disadvantage on all 4 lines.

Injuries are a big reason why they've plummeted so fast and look like absolute trash right now, but remember they started the season looking terrible, had a hot run where they still got outshot terribly and mostly were bailed out by Lundqvist, and then the bottom fell out.

They haven't been "good" this year, and them choking away multiple games last year is an indictment of the coach as well as it is the players. Remember Skjei and Smith playing great hockey together and then AV benched them so he could run Staal and Holden out there time and time again to get scored on at the end of a game? And his excuse being "oh I just lost them on the bench"?

I think a coach with a more structured system and more aggressive mindset could get more out of this team. They wouldn't be a contender or anything but there are issues with how players are used at this point.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
AV used to make a lot of good decisions in deployments and can get the best out of players at times. It's also glaring when he doesn't do these things. He got 34 points out of Nick Holden last year by finding him some sheltered minutes. Now he's playing him on his off side on the first pair. See also, Pavel Buchnevich, fourth liner.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Levitate posted:

Injuries are a big reason why they've plummeted so fast and look like absolute trash right now, but remember they started the season looking terrible, had a hot run where they still got outshot terribly and mostly were bailed out by Lundqvist, and then the bottom fell out.

They haven't been "good" this year, and them choking away multiple games last year is an indictment of the coach as well as it is the players. Remember Skjei and Smith playing great hockey together and then AV benched them so he could run Staal and Holden out there time and time again to get scored on at the end of a game? And his excuse being "oh I just lost them on the bench"?

I think a coach with a more structured system and more aggressive mindset could get more out of this team. They wouldn't be a contender or anything but there are issues with how players are used at this point.

You're absolutely delusional if you think a new coach is going to make New York any better. You can complain all you want about misusing players or whatever the gently caress but it doesn't get past the issue that the Rangers' roster simply isn't very good.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Levitate posted:

Right but what you’ve all been spouting, and what I think we all agree on, is our center depth has been suspect all year. You can’t win with only two centers, and when Hayes went down it was especially dire. I think the year before everyone thought the blue line was weak. AV is working with what he’s got. Does AV make some mistakes? Sure. Do I wish Buchnevich was stapled to the first two lines? Of course. But I also know you can find an example for almost every coach out there for misusing a young promising player that the fans think should be getting more time. I just don’t know who you think you’re bringing in here that is going to do better than him.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 9, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It I coached the Rangers they'd have more than 2 regulation wins this year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

All I know is I don't want av around for a rebuild.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Not at all, being able to build a competitive team right off the bat is a huge selling point for expansion in Seattle. They got $500M out of Vegas, word is they're going to ask $650M from Seattle. Bettman already came out and said the expects the rules for the expansion draft would be exactly the same for Seattle as they were for the Knights. Vegas being incredible right off the bat and getting to charge high ticket prices (not to mention playoff revenue) is a dream come true for the league. If Vegas and Seattle are early successes, offers for future expansion will pour in and that's free money for the owners that they don't have to share with the players.

quote:

Commissioner Bettman said he thinks if Seattle were to be granted the 32nd NHL team, he expects it would want the same rules for the NHL Expansion Draft that were granted to the Vegas Golden Knights, who came into the League as the 31st team this season

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-ownership-group-expected-to-file-expansion-application-soon/c-295358106

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

Right but what you’ve all been spouting, and what I think we all agree on, is our center depth has been suspect all year. You can’t win with only two centers, and when Hayes went down it was especially dire. I think the year before everyone thought the blue line was weak. AV is working with what he’s got. Does AV make some mistakes? Sure. Do I wish Buchnevich was stapled to the first two lines? Of course. But I also know you can find an example for almost every coach out there for misusing a young promising player that the fans think should be getting more time. I just don’t know who you think you’re bringing in here that is going to do better than him.

yeah for sure the roster is an issue but looking beyond just results and to their actual play....there's really no reason this team should be getting blown out time and time again all year long and only have 1 stretch of time where that didn't happen because their goaltenders bailed them out over and over. The on ice play has just been...suspect, lets say. AV is working with what he's got by trying to get the players he has to play a system that they can't execute properly, rather than working out a system that fits the players better.
The roster ultimately isn't good enough for them to be a real seriously good team or something but it also shouldn't be so bad as to play like trash game in and game out all year.

but even ignoring absolutely all of that, if they're selling and rebuilding and really follow through with a tear down, the question is whether AV is a good coach to try to bring a long a team of young players trying to establish themselves in the league versus coaching a team of veterans trying to compete for the cup. He's been a vets first kind of coach and he strongly believes in letting the players lead themselves and if you're moving even more veterans off the team and bringing in more young players, at some point the coach needs to be the guy cracking the whip or teaching the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

pseudodragon posted:

I think they'll get the same rules actually. I think the NHL is probably thrilled that an expansion team was able to be competitive right away.

• Locked thread