Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

I know it's funny but does anyone else feel kind of bad for IT? I mean going from MVP candidate to people debating if you're washed in less than a year? He seems like a nice enough guy.

I did until he started running his mouth, but he's apparently the type of person that blames everyone but themselves for problems so I have no sympathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I know it's funny but does anyone else feel kind of bad for IT? I mean going from MVP candidate to people debating if you're washed in less than a year? He seems like a nice enough guy.
Like, the littlest bit bad. I dunno but I can't imagine a nice enough guy would strong-arm/demand a starting spot on the roster in LA via texting to live-on-the-air Rachel Nichols.

Also he's stinkin' rich.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
IT has one of the strangest careers ever and he’s only on his second contract.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

I know this isn't on people's radar anymore, but if anyone is still wondering if Mirotic said something unforgivable to Portis before getting clocked, the answer is no.

i assumed if he'd said something truly vile it would have been leaked.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

I know this isn't on people's radar anymore, but if anyone is still wondering if Mirotic said something unforgivable to Portis before getting clocked, the answer is no.

The dynamics of that team are really weird, in the way everyone circled around Portis. It was probably the weirdest thing in a season with a lot of really weird things.

zoux posted:

If he is washed, that sucks and I do feel bad. I think its a bit early to declare that given his injury but the risk was always there. It sucks that he fought really hard to get to the level he was at, got to be there for 15 minutes and then came tumbling down.

I don't feel bad that he seems to piss off every locker room he's ever been a part of and can't seem to keep his pissyness to himself. If he didn't open his mouth I don't know if he would have been traded from the Cavs.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

scuz posted:

Like, the littlest bit bad. I dunno but I can't imagine a nice enough guy would strong-arm/demand a starting spot on the roster in LA via texting to live-on-the-air Rachel Nichols.

Also he's stinkin' rich.

eh hes not really that rich. he probably lost like 80 million dollars from having a badly timed hip injury. thats brutal and deserves some sympathy id say.

hes not like kevin durant who is, famously, far far richer than the guy who employs him.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

dokmo posted:

Yeah but its a weird half measure. If they're planning on lebron staying, they should have used the nets pick for players that moved the needle in a win now move, and if they're thinking hes gone they should have kept the pick.

I think it's the right middle ground. They got back enough talent to make some noise in the playoffs and avoid looking like they caused LeBron to leave. And they also positioned themselves to be a playoff team next year while keeping the Nets pick and getting younger.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/961991569980104705

someone's shook

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

Dude should have gotten surgery, and when he came back too early and still hurt started salting the earth every chance he could get with his new team all while they were losing and he was playing like poo poo.

Then, immediately after getting jettisoned, he texts the ESPN reporter for the Lakers through his agent that he WILL be starting!!!!.

I don't feel bad for him at all.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

scuz posted:

Also he's stinkin' rich.

Stinkin' rich? He's probably the most underpaid basketball player of the last few years. He's been a cock lately though for sure

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Second round picks have such a hard time getting that second big deal . It seems. I forget what happened, did Sacramento sign him to his current deal after 3 years ? Or Phoenix?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Injuries suck a lot and nobody in sports deserves to get injured. My definition of "stinkin' rich" is "anyone who earns more in one year than I will in the rest of my life" sorry for not being clear about that. Pretty sure that means "every NBA player alive" but this is a dumb derail so let's talk about

Thibs isn't dumb enough to go after Derrick Rose since Tyus is doing his job, so where is Rose gonna wind up?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

Second round picks have such a hard time getting that second big deal . It seems. I forget what happened, did Sacramento sign him to his current deal after 3 years ? Or Phoenix?

Phoenix signed him to a 4 year / $27m contract in the summer of `14

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

scuz posted:

Injuries suck a lot and nobody in sports deserves to get injured. My definition of "stinkin' rich" is "anyone who earns more in one year than I will in the rest of my life" sorry for not being clear about that. Pretty sure that means "every NBA player alive" but this is a dumb derail so let's talk about

OK sure, but then you're implying that you have no sympathy for any NBA player just because they make a lot of money and that's not a very nice thing to say! Be happy for them! They do jumps and spins for the whole world to fall in love with

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Phoenix signed him to a 4 year / $27m contract in the summer of `14

That seems right in retrospect considering his limitations l.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

That seems right in retrospect considering his limitations l.

How do you mean? He deserved 27 million for his performance last year alone

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

IT has one of the strangest careers ever and he’s only on his second contract.

That second contract is humorous in hindsight because part of Phoenix's selling point was that it finally gives him the stability

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cool Buff Man posted:

How do you mean? He deserved 27 million for his performance last year alone

That defense.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

This is why I don't understand people saying "well he's just an entertainer so he has to do things like this". He clearly believes his own bullshit and gets super salty when his mega awesome trade ideas don't actually happen

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Actually cool buff man I think you will see that the real star in Boston is Brad “the basketball rainman” Stevens. A jar of Prego brand tomato and basil pasta sauce would have averaged 24/6 in his system, so actually Thomas was overpaid

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

WhyteRyce posted:

This is why I don't understand people saying "well he's just an entertainer so he has to do things like this". He clearly believes his own bullshit and gets super salty when his mega awesome trade ideas don't actually happen

https://twitter.com/lukezim/status/961994399545806849

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That defense.

So he "in retrospect" deserves less than 7 million per year? I don't think so pal, he had some really good stats before and after he arrived in Boston but I don't think this is going anywhere so let's just drop it!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Actually cool buff man I think you will see that the real star in Boston is Brad “the basketball rainman” Stevens. A jar of Prego brand tomato and basil pasta sauce would have averaged 24/6 in his system, so actually Thomas was overpaid

True, true. Can't argue that

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think the Cavs did a pretty good job by creating the New Cavs. LeBron's already back to really hating Dan Gilbert (as he should) so I don't know if there's any chance he stays, but it looks like they improved the team and that if LeBron likes playing with these new guys they can basically all come back for another year (Hood is the only question mark there).

If George Hill still has anything left in the tank he should be a very good fit next to LeBron, hitting open shots and able to play either on or off ball. Jordan Clarkson is the type of guard off the bench the Cavs have been looking for for awhile (a better Rose). Hood is likely a good three point shooting wing, which is always something good to surround LeBron with, and Nance is a solid rotational big.

Bad contract watch: TT still has 2 more years and $36m left on his contract, JR Smith 2/30.

Meanwhile Kevin Love has one year @ $24m and then a player option. Korver's got 2/15 and will be 38-years-old at the end of that deal.

Post-LeBron era, the Cavs could be running out something like:
Brooklyn pick
Hood
Cedi
Nance
Zizic?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It traded years for AAV

Everyone knew in 14 that the cap was going to explode in 16 just like his hips.

He could have done two years and been a FA in 16.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:emptyquote:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

It traded years for AAV

Everyone knew in 14 that the cap was going to explode in 16 just like his hips.

He could have done two years and been a FA in 16.

His agent is apparently very, very stupid. The Ramona episode threw that one out there. Good luck Isaiah you will be lucky to clear 50 million in career earnings now

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cool Buff Man posted:

OK sure, but then you're implying that you have no sympathy for any NBA player just because they make a lot of money and that's not a very nice thing to say! Be happy for them! They do jumps and spins for the whole world to fall in love with
My bad, I did not mean to imply that. Injuries suck and I do not wish them on any sports athlete, and even worse, going from the season that IT had with Boston before getting traded and then traded again in the same season is awful, especially for his family.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

IT would have gotten a max if his hip wasnt injured. also he lost out on like a 400% increase in his earnings and will never, ever, ever get another shot at having it which is pretty hard to swallow in the capitalist dystopia we live in

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uncanny !

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cool Buff Man posted:

So he "in retrospect" deserves less than 7 million per year? I don't think so pal, he had some really good stats before and after he arrived in Boston but I don't think this is going anywhere so let's just drop it!

True, true. Can't argue that

I was referring to your $27m figure. Euphronius is right; the Suns contract was pretty reasonable for both parties at the time.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

scuz posted:

My bad, I did not mean to imply that. Injuries suck and I do not wish them on any sports athlete, and even worse, going from the season that IT had with Boston before getting traded and then traded again in the same season is awful, especially for his family.

Agreed. I do wish "underpaid" meant earning 6+ million per year for myself though, have to admit

Ghost Dog posted:

IT would have gotten a max if his hip wasnt injured. also he lost out on like a 400% increase in his earnings and will never, ever, ever get another shot at having it which is pretty hard to swallow in the capitalist dystopia we live in

Yep, that's where I've been coming from. The dialogue last year was about how Boston was going to have to give him a max to stay. Just because he got hurt and died and has sucked for 13 whole games doesn't erase the fact that he was a very very good basketball player who was on a bargain bin contract.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think George Hill is a great fit next to LeBron but I also thought the same thing about Antawn Jamison and Larry Hughes and Damon Jones and Donyell Marshall so don't listen too much to my opinion

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I was referring to your $27m figure. Euphronius is right; the Suns contract was pretty reasonable for both parties at the time.

Gotcha, but I still think many people/teams would have paid him 27 million for the year he had last year. All that money should go to Brad but still

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Cavs also signed Kendrick Perkins, apparently

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

It's gonna be awkward when Celtics bring IT back for MLE

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Cavs also signed Kendrick Perkins, apparently

lol

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
There's a lot of complaining on the internet today about the TNT broadcast of the Celtics-Wizards last night. Was Marv really that bad?

lol heres an open letter I came across on reddit

quote:

I'm writing this email as a lifelong fan and avid viewer of NBA basketball.

Although it's certainly best to go to the game, it isn't always possible. That leaves home viewing as my primary way of viewing NBA games. For years I've watched it on many networks, including TNT. Tonight, I watched the Celtics vs Wizards match on TNT because it was the only network available. The overall presentation of the game tonight compelled me to contact you via email.

I am very disappointed in tonight's presentation of a great basketball game. Called by Marv Albert and Chris Webber, the commentary was very sloppy... to the point that it had become comical by the end. Multiple wrong names, missed calls, and a general misrepresentation of the on-court action. It is clear that the color commentator wasn't very familiar with the intricacies of either team. The play by play announcer repeatedly made very basic mistakes. For example, "Theis goes 1 of 2" as Daniel Theis misses 2 free throws in overtime or "Kyrie for three!!" as Jaylen Brown makes a key basket. Mistakes like this were consistent throughout the game and the same thing happened last time I watched them. This is unbearable announcing.

The presentation inconsistencies continue with poor action replay. Basketball is an athletic game played at a fast pace where highlights can happen at any moment. There were multiple big plays in this game that we only saw once and never saw them again. Jaylen Brown goes the length of the court off a steal with a series of dribble moves and finishes with a dunk. The only TNT replay is the final .25 seconds of the play. Give us more angles on plays like that, show us the moves leading to his dunk.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bryan Colangelo posted:

"There's always a chance that he's going to be out there soon, and there's a chance that he's not gonna play this year. I can't answer that question because we don't know the answer to that."

Wow some really helpful Fultz news

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's broken

He can't shoot farther than in the lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

He's broken

He can't shoot farther than in the lane.

Hahah yeah jeez I just saw

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/961983699876306949?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I pray for him daily

• Locked thread