Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rex's best line is where he notes he likes people because he likes himself and he is people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
After taking a break from this game for a while, the very first rare core I opened up had KOS-MOS in it. That's one hell of a welcome back gift. :stare:

So is there any point to opening more core crystals now that I have all the random rare blades?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

After taking a break from this game for a while, the very first rare core I opened up had KOS-MOS in it. That's one hell of a welcome back gift. :stare:

So is there any point to opening more core crystals now that I have all the random rare blades?

I'd hold onto them in case there are rare DLC blades. Otherwisey ou could try for orb masters that have other good skills I guess but that seems extremely painful to check each one.

Edit: VVVV That too but I'd be shocked if you needed more than 2-3 of those to add to the overdrives you already have, and you probably got those 4 star blades that aren't very good just by opening cores for rares.

ssb fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 7, 2018

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Dr. Fetus posted:

Maxing and releasing a 4star common blade will give you a overdrive protocol.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

shortspecialbus posted:

Really the best is when he (chapter 10 spoiler)spouts it off to the architect

Architect: What will you do when you meet Malos?
Rex: I'll beat him up!
Architect: Then what?
Rex: idk have a drink with him

Rex is good and essentially feels like the opposite of Shulk. Both are, when it comes down to it, very bland, but for one the pace of the first game doesn't give you time for that to be a problem, and the slow pace of the other actually benefits what personally Rex does have.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

glassyalabolas posted:

You forgot about the massive man-hands.

They're a cross between people hands and rabbit paws.

Dahlia really is the worst design.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Momomo posted:

Architect: What will you do when you meet Malos?
Rex: I'll beat him up!
Architect: Then what?
Rex: idk have a drink with him

Rex is good and essentially feels like the opposite of Shulk. Both are, when it comes down to it, very bland, but for one the pace of the first game doesn't give you time for that to be a problem, and the slow pace of the other actually benefits what personally Rex does have.

Shulk's personality consists of him shouting "FIO-RAAAAAAAA!" Over and over.

Rex's personality consists of him repeating things people say to him back at them.

"Rex, you're the Aegis's driver now!"
"The Aegis's... Driver?"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

bizarre deformity posted:

Shulk's personality consists of him shouting "FIO-RAAAAAAAA!" Over and over.

Rex's personality consists of him repeating things people say to him back at them.

"Rex, you're the Aegis's driver now!"
"The Aegis's... Driver?"

So they're both personifications of Japanese weird speech quirks?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Belgian Waffle posted:

I'll be honest, her accent threw me harder than her "costume."
It felt more out of place in the game than being a boob-monster.

Osakan dialect in Japan = Southern accent in English Dub

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Osakan dialect in Japan = Southern accent in English Dub

I'm actually surprised that usual equivalence made it through into XC2, considering it was dubbed in the UK.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm actually surprised that usual equivalence made it through into XC2, considering it was dubbed in the UK.

Yeah, that was my issue with it. I don't know what a british equivalent would be, though. Cockney?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did they like, dub all the blades somewhere else

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bird Law posted:

How was a system like this ever even considered, much less made it's way into the final game? Dozens of people looked at this horrific gacha system and thought "This will make our game better."

The only reason I can think of that they put this system in was mentioned earlier in the thread - so people have vaguely different experiences of the early game depending on which blades they get. I wouldn't say it's a good enough reason but it's all I can think of. I would imagine if you got Godfrey really early on you'd get attached to him even though mechanically he's rubbish. I dunno.

I'm playing Tales of Zestria at the moment and there's so much in there that reminds me of Xenoblade, I think it's the stupid way the characters interact. Or that I have to keep entering menus after every battle to check what it did and what new things I got.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Did they like, dub all the blades somewhere else

I don't think so, but you'll note that all the blades have american accents to contrast the humans' british ones (in fact pretty much everyone on Alrest from the same homeland shares an accent which is honestly much more effort and thought than I thought they'd put in). Another little touch that makes the blades seem a bit more otherwordly.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 8, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Taear posted:

The only reason I can think of that they put this system in was mentioned earlier in the thread - so people have vaguely different experiences of the early game depending on which blades they get. I wouldn't say it's a good enough reason but it's all I can think of. I would imagine if you got Godfrey really early on you'd get attached to him even though mechanically he's rubbish. I dunno.

I'm playing Tales of Zestria at the moment and there's so much in there that reminds me of Xenoblade, I think it's the stupid way the characters interact. Or that I have to keep entering menus after every battle to check what it did and what new things I got.

Save yourself and don't play Zestiria. Seriously.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I love the blades that sound like champ from anchorman

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I like the blades that say "I made the A team! Score!" because they know they're generic fodder that are only getting equipped for Salvaging Mastery.

Also the ones that say "I can't stop growing!" because it sounds less like boasting and more like a panicked cry for help.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ajkalan posted:

I like the blades that say "I made the A team! Score!" because they know they're generic fodder that are only getting equipped for Salvaging Mastery.

Also the ones that say "I can't stop growing!" because it sounds less like boasting and more like a panicked cry for help.

Just you wait! I'll show you sOmEtHING AWESOME!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Any time a blade says "I'll never forget you!" as I release them I think "No you won't! That's a major part of the plot!"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
mod that changes every male blade's line for joining the team to Yamcha yelling "I'LL SHOW YOU SOMETHING COOL!"

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I know this is an unimportant question, but what exactly is supposed to happen in-universe when you release a blade? Can you somehow un-resonate with it? Are you murdering it? Because you can find a rare blade again after releasing it, so you're obviously not just telling it to hit the bricks.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Apparently patch notes for the new game plus patch have dropped, somebody not on mobile should put them here for discussion I think?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Japanese only for the moment, but here's a translation from some imageboard

also, like, spoilers for almost the entire story, dawg

quote:

Not only can you recruit Patrohka, Mikhail, and Akhos' blades, you can even recruit the three of them by themselves,and they will be available both as random core crystal drops or as rewards from quests, AND they appear to have unique weapons

you can now remove story blades, including pyra, even in the first run, and send them on missions

new driver affinity charts with even stronger bonuses

you can change level freely at inns, instead of just increasing

you can exchange bonus EXP for items that INCREASE THE NUMBER OF ACCESSORY SLOTS

a certain special blade now has a lv.4 special

And the features that are available right from the beginning:

you can now lock blades, and they will be more visible and impossible to release

you can SKIP CORE CRYSTAL OPENING SEQUENCES

you can now customize the icons that appear on the in-game map overlay

new easy mode for the game proper just for shitters

presumably they added the ability to stack accessories and aux chips?

And finally, what you keep from game to game:

levels

equipment

art levels

all your blades(!)

consumable items and gold

gold

dev level

merc level

event theater scenes

unique monster tombstones

In case its unclear the top part are stuff that applies to the coming NG+ and the middle is just general patch notes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just let me exchange like a million gold for a guaranteed rare blade. Just let the Gatcha die.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Amppelix posted:

Japanese only for the moment, but here's a translation from some imageboard

also, like, spoilers for almost the entire story, dawg

In case its unclear the top part are stuff that applies to the coming NG+ and the middle is just general patch notes

It is unclear, but maybe I will just have to wait for the English patch notes to understand better what I'm reading

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It'll be kinda lame if NG+ doesn’t feature any extra difficulty, though I guess you can kinda simulate that by selling all of your core chips and also adjusting your level downward.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

bizarre deformity posted:

It is unclear, but maybe I will just have to wait for the English patch notes to understand better what I'm reading

I'll try to make it a bit more clear than the quick copypaste. these are NG+ features:
  • Not only can you recruit Patrohka, Mikhail, and Akhos' blades, you can even recruit the three of them by themselves,and they will be available both as random core crystal drops or as rewards from quests, AND they appear to have unique weapons
  • you can now remove story blades, including pyra, even in the first run, and send them on missions
  • new driver affinity charts with even stronger bonuses
  • you can change level freely at inns, instead of just increasing
  • you can exchange bonus EXP for items that INCREASE THE NUMBER OF ACCESSORY SLOTS
  • a certain special blade now has a lv.4 special
and these are other features being introduced in the patch:
  • you can now lock blades, and they will be more visible and impossible to release
  • you can SKIP CORE CRYSTAL OPENING SEQUENCES
  • you can now customize the icons that appear on the in-game map overlay
  • new easy mode for the game proper just for shitters
  • presumably they added the ability to stack accessories and aux chips?

Still a bit rubbish and self-contradictory but that should give you a general idea

since parts of the NG+ are stuff that allow you to gain UNLIMITED POWER like even more accessory slots and more affinity skills i certainly hope there's something more difficult to challenge you than what's already in the base game

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Amppelix posted:

• presumably they added the ability to stack accessories and aux chips?

This was a mistranslation; there are new options for sorting these things in the menus. (Maybe copies will stack like other items do, so you no longer see eight different legendary Beta Scopes listed separately? At the very least I imagine there will be a sort by type, so that items with the same effect type get sorted together.)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
While some might find the rare blade lottery, trust grinding and ursula's quest annoying... for me, by far, the most annoying part of the game, is when you're running in the field and your blade is running slightly faster behind you and keeps bumping into you and stopping. Not sure if it's all drivers and all blades or just a specific combo, or when your runspeed is at a certain point, but it drives me crazy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I wish Overdrives were unlimited. I've run out so no more blades for Nia I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

I wish Overdrives were unlimited. I've run out so no more blades for Nia I guess.

Yea. You can get them by filling the character tree things as well but even after 90 hours and having the game finished I never actually did that with anyone.
Or buying the DLC pass!

quote:

Save yourself and don't play Zestiria. Seriously.
What's so bad about it? It does really remind me of Xenoblade. With a worse battle system.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 9, 2018

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Amppelix posted:

since parts of the NG+ are stuff that allow you to gain UNLIMITED POWER like even more accessory slots and more affinity skills i certainly hope there's something more difficult to challenge you than what's already in the base game
Season pass has the vaguely described challenge mode coming up towards the end of the year, but other than that, I wouldn't hold your breath.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

New Game + looks cool and I will probably try it in a few months if I've caught up to my backlog by then (lol no chance)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Taear posted:

Yea. You can get them by filling the character tree things as well but even after 90 hours and having the game finished I never actually did that with anyone.
Or buying the DLC pass!

What's so bad about it? It does really remind me of Xenoblade. With a worse battle system.

Even worse gear system and a plot that is actively insulting

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Calaveron posted:

Zestiria's fine enough, but the endgame devolves into stacking fire damage and spam casting wall of flame over and over.

The combat in general shares the problems that modern Tales games have which is that combo based gameplay is amazing to get right, but if a player knows what they're doing they can trivialise the entire game. The solution to this is giving all the bosses massive amounts of super armour which means that even though you have great combo setups you can't actually execute them because your opponent is a) a trash mob that dies straight away b) a boss that super armours through a bunch of the timings.

The plot, yeah, it could be a lot better. There's a lot to like about the individual characters and their interactions though.

And a hilarious accidental bad ending you can get.

Edit: Really do pick up Berseria if you haven't already, it's honestly the best straight up JPRG I've played in years.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 9, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Calaveron posted:

I guess I feel like Xenoblade hasn't got a gear system at all, I interacted with the accessories and aux cores so little beyond the first ten hours or so.

quote:

The combat in general shares the problems that modern Tales games have which is that combo based gameplay is amazing to get right, but if a player knows what they're doing they can trivialise the entire game
I'm basically just clicking and getting annoyed that I run out of my blue bar. I'm sure the enemies will get too strong for me really fast.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you want a jrpg with an awesome combat system but an entire mechanic based around something even cringier than blushy crushy then you should play ar tonelico 1 and 2

Let's not speak about 3

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

If you want a jrpg with an awesome combat system but an entire mechanic based around something even cringier than blushy crushy then you should play ar tonelico 1 and 2

Let's not speak about 3

I feel like I'm one of the few people who really doesn't care about combat. As long as I have a decent control over when it happens (which Xenoblade is good at) and it's got an interesting variety of different enemy types that's fine.
Some games like Divinity 2 make me feel like Combat is the most important part and I have to pay shitloads of attention to setting it up right and doing it right.

I guess it bothers me that in both ToZ and this the story is so out of my hands. That's just part of a JRPG though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

I feel like I'm one of the few people who really doesn't care about combat. As long as I have a decent control over when it happens (which Xenoblade is good at) and it's got an interesting variety of different enemy types that's fine.

Ar Tonelico has one of my favorite combat mechanics in this regard. actually, and it's part of why I love their combat so much. They still have random encounters, but there's a bar on the bottom of your screen that goes down every time you finish one. One it's empty, no more encounters for the area. It also scales the odds of one triggering based on how long it's been since you had one (also indicated by said bar), though I never really paid close attention to that bit.

As far as Xenoblade goes, I loved the combat and the music in the game which is probably why I was so forgiving of the story. Good combat and music that I can lose myself in go a long way for me, though if a game fails at either it could turn me off of it completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Taear posted:

Some games like Divinity 2 make me feel like Combat is the most important part and I have to pay shitloads of attention to setting it up right and doing it right.

I guess it bothers me that in both ToZ and this the story is so out of my hands. That's just part of a JRPG though.

I mean there's no game's combat I hate more than Divinity's.

But I'm really really weird.