Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is cloudcoin even a thing?

Anyway, the proper name for bitcoins is Dunning-Kruggerands.

I'm talking about https://twitter.com/ButtCoin's logo. One of the YOSPoS bitcoin thread regulars runs that account and a Reddit sub. Used to be a blog, too, but he sold it to a mining hardware manufacturer so they could scrub the negative articles about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i wouldn't get excited about elixir. the community is bad and the people driving development are all stuck in a rails consultancy mindset. i have like a decade of erlang experience and i wanted to love elixir but it's going in completely the wrong direction

erlang/elixirs features are going to come to things like rust and kotlin faster than elixir gets useable for more than lovely mass produced crud apps

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

rails consultancy mindset

How is this different from a regular consultancy mindset?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sign posted:

How is this different from a regular consultancy mindset?

Elixir is headed up by an ex-Rails core member and Phoenix was heavily inspired by Rails. I think it is in many ways better than Rails in the way of "we kept most of the good things and dropped some bad ones" but they wear their influences on their sleeve.

The consultancy part I don't quite understand. But I can understand someone who's deep on Erlang saying "no why what you do to this".

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
convention over configuration, I say as I fart into a bag and then huff my own farts

(the elixir community is better than the C++ community which is not saying...much. but it's true)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://ponzicoin.co/home.html

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i don't mean anything negative by rails consultancy. i just mean the concerns of an individual or small team being paid to deliver a set of features to a client is way different than those that need to do ongoing development and support of a product/platform

it manifests in things like ecto being really good at basic CRUD operations but it being difficult to do dynamic queries and database sharding and flat out impossible to use db features like unions and queries like `INSERT INTO foo SELECT ...`

also there's almost no regard for operational issues in the elixir community. they still haven't figured out how to resolve the difference between compile time and runtime in a way that makes using env vars anything other than a minefield

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
For the sake of argument, those of you who seem to be in the know, where would you start with fp if you might someday want to work using the paradigm?

I've been eyeing elixir bc the erlang vm seems incredibly sweet and it has a reasonable syntax but I've actually had the same kind of reservations (without actual cause, just suspicion) about it being run by rubyists.

I guess I could just use erlang but hoooo boy.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 8, 2018

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
If you like brackets, Clojure. If you don't like them so much, maybe Java or Kotlin with the appropriate libraries.

Bonus joke answer: XQuery. Shout out to anyone who's had to use this.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The March Hare posted:

For the sake of argument, those of you who seem to be in the know, where would you start with fp if you might someday want to work using the paradigm?

I've been eyeing elixir bc the erlang vm seems incredibly sweet and it has a reasonable syntax but I've actually had the same kind of reservations (without actual cause, just suspicion) about it being run by rubyists.

I guess I could just use erlang but hoooo boy.

My only problem with erlang is that there aren’t many jobs with it.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
I'd take all the rubyist complaints with a grain of salt. Elixir is a perfectly fine intro to fp.

That being said I'd probably just start with Haskell or a lisp or something if I was coming into things fresh and didn't also care about learning the distributed system side of erlang/elixir.

What stack do you program in now? There's probably already a way to get going doing "functional" programming in it.

I started my "functional" programming experience with Perl for God's sake, and eventually landed in what I thought was my neck beard dream job doing elixir/erlang all day.

FWIW I quit this job ASAP because surprise tech choice has little bearing on job fulfillment. So I wouldn't get too hung up on tech stacks or even languages beyond learning the general approaches which you can do with any number of languages.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

2nd Rate Poster posted:

I started my "functional" programming experience with Perl for God's sake, and eventually landed in what I thought was my neck beard dream job doing elixir/erlang all day.

I thought embedded Common Lisp was going to be my dream job and then I realized...it was a nightmare because who the gently caress is insane enough to use Common Lisp for embedded platforms. My boss.

Lisp is really good though. The workflow of writing small functions and testing them in the REPL and then copy-pasting them as unit tests is amazing.

But as far as the person who wants to "get" functional programming I'd recommend Haskell or Scala (...which allows Java developers to poo poo Haskellisms all over your codebase)

e: Kotlin isn't a functional programming language btw, it's really good but it's mostly Java meets C++ with less bad design decisions and boilerplate code

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 9, 2018

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

reasonml might be a good entry point, especially if you know react. elm is also a total mindbender but using it will make you wish it were in any way practical

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Try writing pure-ish functions in whatever language you already work in. No reason to ambush yourself with a new language and a new style of programming all at once. That is, unless you're working in a language that depends too heavily on loving with state...

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 9, 2018

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Thanks for the peer review info. 360 review is a new term to me, thanks for that. I think I’ll skip trying to implement anything formal, it’ll be hard to get people to submit any feedback in a timely manner and it probably raises way too many issues to be worth anything in the end.

I do like the idea of having 1-on-1s with someone who you don’t directly report to. We kinda do that but it’s a small place so you can only get so far away in the org chart.

Part of why I was thinking about peer review was something my grade 6 teacher did, they called it "tributes". Sometime late in the school year we all had to write one nice thing about each other person in the class. Didn’t matter how much you hated someone, you had to at least come up with a half-assed "you sure are good at throwing that dodgeball". Then the teacher collected everything, collated it, and you got a little book of Tributes of nice things said about you. I think it was up to you whether you signed your note or left it anonymous, most were anonymous. It was kind of a pain at the time, but the result was surprisingly touching, even all these years later.

Anyway, I’ll content myself with making an effort to praise people more often. Baby steps.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

rt4 posted:

Try writing pure-ish functions in whatever language you already work in. No reason to ambush yourself with a new language and a new style of programming all at once. That is, unless you're working in a language that depends too heavily on loving with state...

One example I’ve run into recently is when a helper function is written as an instance method despite using zero or just a couple members of the instance. Consider moving that poo poo out into a static method or a free function or whatever, passing in the few parameters you actually need. Now you can reason about the function without having to consider all the possible states your instance is in during its execution.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm writing a lisp in C right now, following along with that "write a lisp in c" tutorial that a coworker put me onto, really enjoying it actually. I'm not afraid of new languages, new paradigms are the tougher challenge from where I'm sitting.

I sort of do care about the distsys stuff, its the area of computing that most interests me that I've never really touched. I'll probably just stick w/ Elixir and go from there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

One example I’ve run into recently is when a helper function is written as an instance method despite using zero or just a couple members of the instance. Consider moving that poo poo out into a static method or a free function or whatever, passing in the few parameters you actually need. Now you can reason about the function without having to consider all the possible states your instance is in during its execution.

Yeah, whenever you write a function, if at all possible do not let it read from or write to the internals of any non-primitive objects. If it does need to take in complex objects, that still doesn't necessarily mean that it needs access to the entire DoEverythingObject; prune it down as much as possible. Makes it easier to reason about (=> less likely to be buggy), makes it easier to test, makes it easier to transplant into other code.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Could you guys share some resume descriptions for jobs you've had?

I somehow lost my resume and the only copy I have is from when I graduated college, so all it has is like my two internships on it and the job descriptions I put feel super vague and non-descript. Cleaning it up now for some light prospect searching. I sent it to a [non-IT] friend to read and his takeaway was that it seemed "kind of plain, nondescript, and probably understates what you actually do"

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Still being puzzled by wild differences in salary pitch. I talked to one VC-backed company yesterday and they say "for someone at you're level we'd probably offer in the $210k range, sound good?" yeah, that sounds cool to me. Talked today to a much larger and respectable-seeming company and when I asked them about salary they said it caps out at $120k. Do other people see this sort of discrepancy also, or am I doing something wrong?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Are those both salary numbers? If the $210 is a total comp and the $120 is a base, then it makes sense. Otherwise that's a pretty big mystery.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

ultrafilter posted:

Are those both salary numbers? If the $210 is a total comp and the $120 is a base, then it makes sense. Otherwise that's a pretty big mystery.

Both base. For the $120 quote, I asked if they had other comp that they wanted to talk about (stock, or even crazy stuff like "10 weeks vacation", I donno) and the recruiter said "oh yeah we have a good bonus program: 10% and we've never missed a bonus".

I feel like I must be getting picked for two different types of roles even though they both sound to me like "senior/lead back end dev". And one of the two roles gets waaay more money than the other, so I wish I could figure out how to position myself only for that one.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mniot posted:

Still being puzzled by wild differences in salary pitch. I talked to one VC-backed company yesterday and they say "for someone at you're level we'd probably offer in the $210k range, sound good?" yeah, that sounds cool to me. Talked today to a much larger and respectable-seeming company and when I asked them about salary they said it caps out at $120k. Do other people see this sort of discrepancy also, or am I doing something wrong?
Stretching for some explanation here: Certain startups might want to give you a cash-heavy offer to get your immediate help and give you no equity, health insurance, etc. They'd keep whatever points someone in your role would normally get and hope the ~$60k in cash is worth less in the long run. If the $120k is base salary at an established place with a HR department and medical/vision/dental, plus RSU grants, it might be at parity. This is assuming you're doing the same thing, if the startup wants some niche experience that bigco doesn't care about I think you would've noticed.

Normally it goes the other way, the entrepreneurs want to give you no cash and boatloads of (currently) worthless stock, the established places want to dump cash & RSU's on you.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
The larger company is Red Hat. They're certainly not in the same class as Google or Microsoft, but they're well-known and publicly-traded. The recruiter had some other roles they wanted to pitch after I said $120 was too low. If I get them on the phone again, I think I'll try asking them what's up with the different salaries.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Mniot posted:

The larger company is Red Hat. They're certainly not in the same class as Google or Microsoft, but they're well-known and publicly-traded. The recruiter had some other roles they wanted to pitch after I said $120 was too low. If I get them on the phone again, I think I'll try asking them what's up with the different salaries.

Would you be working in the North Carolina office? I worked with someone that left there. She and I worked in finance then though so maybe it's different for devs, but she told me that the work/life balance was really terrible (people were encouraged to work weekends, at least one day) and they were offshoring a lot of teams (again, all in finance).

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Jaded Burnout posted:

- Kafka topics are roughly analogous to RMQ topic exchanges, sort of

I have a hopefully quick follow-up because some memories shook loose last night: we have a bunch of customers who send us schedules that cover defined, non-overlapping time spans. Changes happen to the details in the schedule basically until it's in the past so multiple schedules for the same customer can be getting updates at once. Is a customer+schedule a good candidate for a Topic or is a customer a Topic? I was thinking it'd be customer+schedule, but then we'd be dynamically generating tens of topics on a roughly monthly basis and IDK if that's pathological use for Kafka, but I think it'd be the most space efficient, if I understanding what a Topic is, which is a big if.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

I have a hopefully quick follow-up because some memories shook loose last night: we have a bunch of customers who send us schedules that cover defined, non-overlapping time spans. Changes happen to the details in the schedule basically until it's in the past so multiple schedules for the same customer can be getting updates at once. Is a customer+schedule a good candidate for a Topic or is a customer a Topic? I was thinking it'd be customer+schedule, but then we'd be dynamically generating tens of topics on a roughly monthly basis and IDK if that's pathological use for Kafka, but I think it'd be the most space efficient, if I understanding what a Topic is, which is a big if.

The way I've tended to do it is to have a topic be at its most granular a type of thing, maybe carry multiple types of things if that makes more sense architecturally. You can always use stream processing to derive topics from other topics if you need them a different shape or whatever.

It sounds like a topic for all schedules of all customers would make sense. The important part within a topic is how you break it into partitions. Partitions are the unit of parallelism. Your consumers can pull from multiple partitions if you want but a partition can only be read by one consumer at a time, so you ideally want one partition for whatever the smallest division of stuff is that needs to operate sequentially.

For example if I had a topic for customer inventory for all my customers, I might partition things so that each customer is on a partition and operations on inventory for the whole customer will queue and be consumed sequentially. But maybe I know that each product is only ever sold individually, so I can allow the inventories of different products belonging to the same customer to be updated simultaneously without affecting each other, so I'd have partitions at the SKU level.

This section of the docs doesn't provide much by way of use case examples like this but hopefully it's a bit clearer now: https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#intro_topics

But yeah without knowing more context, for your case I suspect I'd go for a schedules topic.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Agreed ^. Also, Munkeymon, what type of throughput and response time scale are we talking about here? Also whats the nature of the usage of this data? Are you computing things with relation to schedules, hours, overlap, etc?

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Mniot posted:

Just wanted to share the perspective from an Enterprise CRUD Ninja who's never worked for Big Tech. Sorry if I missed it, but what kind of employer do you work for? $180k base seems REALLY high to me as a senior dev, I've never seen that anywhere. I've worked for a few different household name F50 companies and currently work remotely for a big west coast healthcare provider. I make ~$115k + 10% bonus as a senior dev (8 yrs xp), and I think principals make $120-140k + slightly higher bonus. I never saw anything higher than this for developers at any of the companies I've worked for, in fact it was typically lower. At State Farm we had lead devs making like $90k, it was pretty bad.

Anyway, I know that more prestigious companies pay better, but just wanted some insight as to who is paying that high of a base. I've interviewed at Amazon and it seemed like the base salaries weren't higher than what I listed above (maybe 110-140k?). None of these numbers are in the Bay Area btw, I live in Denver.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Jaded Burnout posted:

The way I've tended to do it is to have a topic be at its most granular a type of thing, maybe carry multiple types of things if that makes more sense architecturally. You can always use stream processing to derive topics from other topics if you need them a different shape or whatever.

It sounds like a topic for all schedules of all customers would make sense. The important part within a topic is how you break it into partitions. Partitions are the unit of parallelism. Your consumers can pull from multiple partitions if you want but a partition can only be read by one consumer at a time, so you ideally want one partition for whatever the smallest division of stuff is that needs to operate sequentially.

For example if I had a topic for customer inventory for all my customers, I might partition things so that each customer is on a partition and operations on inventory for the whole customer will queue and be consumed sequentially. But maybe I know that each product is only ever sold individually, so I can allow the inventories of different products belonging to the same customer to be updated simultaneously without affecting each other, so I'd have partitions at the SKU level.

This section of the docs doesn't provide much by way of use case examples like this but hopefully it's a bit clearer now: https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#intro_topics

But yeah without knowing more context, for your case I suspect I'd go for a schedules topic.

Interesting - we'd probably end up with just one topic, but wouldn't we sacrifice storage efficiency by interleaving time spans on top of each other? We'd expect each new version of the schedule to mostly have changes in attribute values (think XML because that's what we get!) rather than big structural changes like elements disappearing. Part of the reason I wanted to suggest Kafka is that I'd read it was space efficient because it stored document diffs and we're Very Concerned about that since this would be part of moving the infrastructure to AWS so storage costs cut into margin there. I suspect that was at least partially an excuse to use something the current lead is more familiar with, though ;)

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Agreed ^. Also, Munkeymon, what type of throughput and response time scale are we talking about here? Also whats the nature of the usage of this data? Are you computing things with relation to schedules, hours, overlap, etc?

Throughput should be in the lower tens of thousands of relevant updates per day for the big customer we were designing infrastructure to onboard, with irrelevant updates being fairly trivially discarded upstream. We needed new infra. because they're ~1.5 times the size of the rest of our customers combined. Not every schedule update has to be processed, either, just the newest since we get a global state in the time slice.

We coordinate services with many hundreds of other companies based on the information in the schedule, so yes, we compute... stuff from the schedules and then messages are retained for a few months to figure out what happened when there's a fuckup. I guess that's our response time scale since we don't reply to client updates - they just expect our service providers to be ready and waiting at the appropriate place and time.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

ForrestPUMP69 posted:

Anyway, I know that more prestigious companies pay better, but just wanted some insight as to who is paying that high of a base. I've interviewed at Amazon and it seemed like the base salaries weren't higher than what I listed above (maybe 110-140k?). None of these numbers are in the Bay Area btw, I live in Denver.

Yeah, it's location. Base and total comp is significantly higher in the Bay Area and NYC.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Hired just sent out their salary report. https://hired.com/state-of-salaries-2018

I'm like 5% below "average" for NYC, which is good I guess considering I have only 4.5 years of experience and generally suck rear end?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m coming up on my one year anniversary at my current company. I’m more or less happy with compensation but want to open up discussions about negotiating for more vacation time. We don’t have any sort of review process, formal or informal. What’s the best way to bring it up and who do I even bring it up to?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hired just sent out their salary report. https://hired.com/state-of-salaries-2018

I'm like 5% below "average" for NYC, which is good I guess considering I have only 4.5 years of experience and generally suck rear end?

Considering the cost of living in Boston, this is kind of pathetic.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Pollyanna posted:

Considering the cost of living in Boston, this is kind of pathetic.

CoL in NYC is also garbage but I'm managing to bank ~$2500 in cash every month after all of my expenses, so I'm okay with my current salary given that I don't feel I've progressed much thus far and probably need to work on my skills on my own time (:ohdear:) to become more marketable and get a bump. Passing whiteboard interview questions won't do it for me anymore besides making a lateral move comp-wise I'm assuming. Which may not be the worst thing in the world as I fester and rot here.

I actually think I want take-home assignments this time so I can prove myself.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

ProSlayer posted:

I'd like input on my current work situation. I'm currently a first year full-time MBA student at a top 20 program with four years software development experience and Computer Engineering undergrad. I initially joined the program to switch into a finance role, but quickly realized that was not something I wanted to do. Since I did not have much of a backup plan, I switched to recruiting for product management because it was closely related to my background. I've received some traction on looking for summer internships but am worried it's not enough and have expanded my search to product marketing manager internships.

After spending some time researching the career path for Product Managers, I'm not convinced that it is more lucrative/flexible than staying in software engineering, and trying to become a lead or a manager. In the past, I applied to the major tech companies, but have never been able to get passed the technical interview. I'll continue looking for internships for the summer, but I'm looking for advice on next steps after I graduate. My goal is fairly straightforward: earn more money, have a career path towards management, and less stress. Location wise, I would prefer moving to New York / Boston / DC area. I think San Francisco / Seattle are better tech hubs, but as a single guy I figure the social scene would better at cities that aren't so male-dominated.

The way I see it, my best bet would be apply to product management and software engineering jobs on the east cost and go for the job that I get that pays the most. Any thoughts from people who have moved from engineering roles to product management or people management?

I wanted to give an update on this. I'm currently in the process of recruiting for MBA product manager internships over the summer. I've narrowed down to two places.

1. Big telecom in Atlanta (~$80k)
2. ~1000 Employee publicly traded SaaS company in San Francisco ($120-140k?)

I used to make $90k as a software engineer in a low CoL state before I started graduate school, so it feels awful to take an offer that would be a pay cut. I think the quality of employees and work at the SaaS company is much higher, but haven't figured out yet if that is a good thing or bad thing. On the one hand, I will get exposed to working with extremely bright people on challenging problems in a growth company. On the other hand, I don't consider myself talented or ambitious and would prefer better work-life balance.

I'm split on whether the salary difference is actually as large as it appears to be. I'm tired of moving around, and want to find a place to settle down and one day buy a house/start a family. I don't think I could do that in San Francisco. I understand that I won't be able to beat the SF job market, but am unsure how Atlanta compares. The idea of living with roommates sounds terrible. Any advice on how to choose between internship positions?

ProSlayer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 9, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CoL in NYC is also garbage but I'm managing to bank ~$2500 in cash every month after all of my expenses, so I'm okay with my current salary given that I don't feel I've progressed much thus far and probably need to work on my skills on my own time (:ohdear:) to become more marketable and get a bump. Passing whiteboard interview questions won't do it for me anymore besides making a lateral move comp-wise I'm assuming. Which may not be the worst thing in the world as I fester and rot here.

I actually think I want take-home assignments this time so I can prove myself.

Rent for me is $1725 a month so I need to take home more than $4225 each month in order to do the same as you :cry:

I feel the same as you re: take-home assignments. Whiteboarding is one thing, but man, my skills are really rusty

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

ForrestPUMP69 posted:

Just wanted to share the perspective from an Enterprise CRUD Ninja who's never worked for Big Tech. Sorry if I missed it, but what kind of employer do you work for? $180k base seems REALLY high to me as a senior dev, I've never seen that anywhere. I've worked for a few different household name F50 companies and currently work remotely for a big west coast healthcare provider. I make ~$115k + 10% bonus as a senior dev (8 yrs xp), and I think principals make $120-140k + slightly higher bonus. I never saw anything higher than this for developers at any of the companies I've worked for, in fact it was typically lower. At State Farm we had lead devs making like $90k, it was pretty bad.

but how much stock do you get tho

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Am I missing the part where they give you more comprehensive data than top ~10 of a few categories they felt like talking about?

CoL in NYC is also garbage but I'm managing to bank ~$2500 in cash every month after all of my expenses

Just keep that up for another decade and you'll have a nice downpayment for real estate in your market!

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

CoL is a really bullshit metric that doesn't really tell you much. It's a lot of apples and oranges comparisons, like how can you compare living in a house in the country with living in an apartment in the city? They're not differently priced equivalent things, they're different things that you *can* price similarly. There's also the "oh San Francisco is so expensive <takes an uber everywhere, gets everything delivered via taskrabbit, eats out every meal>" thing.

Don't get me wrong, there are big actual CoL difference (I'm happy to not pay Bay Area rent/mortgage) but they're not easily summarized, and anyone that tries tends to disingenuously lump lifestyle choices in as part of the same thing.

In summary live wherever makes you happy, and get paid as much as possible. (Remote for a company that doesn't pay you less based on location is a good cheat-code).