Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The end of shadow of the Colossus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Defeating Orochi for the first time in Okami and realizing the game was nowhere close to being done.

In a similar vein, going to the Temple of Time in Ocarina of Time and going the Dark World in Link to the The Past for the first time where awesome moments. They both just blew my expectations of how large/involved a game world could be.

Landing on the planet in Super Metroid and how all of the music and weather combine to do a great job of making you feel alone.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My best gaming moment is every moment I spend gaming

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

The end of shadow of the Colossus

This, but also the beginning

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
When Eclair Farron invented France.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
My wife uses the PS4 the most lately to play elder scrolls online, but not too long ago she was in the PVP area of the game and her group of like 15-20 people were all using a skin that overrides whatever your char is wearing and makes them into a skeleton so there was a roving band of skeletons running around killing people and taking over castles. That was cool.

I'm lame and just play madden on xbox these days but that gets pretty epic when there's a close game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

When Eclair Farron invented France.

This is a classic

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
recently the ending of nier automata hit me pretty hard but i guess to stay on-brand i'll post the best moment from ace combat 3 that i think works completely out of context

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwPfLb-fKcA&t=306s

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Bioshock chat BUT WITH A TWIST:

I will never get around to Bioshock 2, mostly because there's too many other good games (I haven't played Prey!) out there and I heard the remake (more like re-fresh) sucked.

What's so great about Minerva's Den?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The ending of Terranigma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm6n-WJA7og&t=82s

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
when I loaded up shenmue on the dreamcast for the first time

those graphics :chanpop:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Leaving the sewers in Oblivion and being able to go anywhere I could see was a legitimately amazing feeling for me. I'd never played an open-world game before.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

And that was a completely pessimistic game. But still fantastic!

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
The final boss in Okami. It's been a while, but you have this multi-phase boss fight where you have to use all your celestial brush strokes to win...and then it strips all of them from you. You're helpless, Yami is going to win. And then.....it cuts to Nippon, where Issun has been going around, telling your story to the people, and they believe in you. And your power comes back, and you get your final shinning form, and the music is swelling and it's awesome.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What are Melee people gonna do when they can no longer get the correctly manufactured defect controllers for their meta?

there's probably already a "dodgy smash controller" plugin for dolphin emulator when that time comes

my #1 gaming moment was probably mother 3 in the final battle, where the music gets less and less distorted until the masked man breaks down. but also the endings of ff9, and lost odyssey. well that's my story

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 9, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What are Melee people gonna do when they can no longer get the correctly manufactured defect controllers for their meta?

Grow up and accept that real sports do periodically make rule changes that render old plays unworkable complain on the internet

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snuffman posted:

What's so great about Minerva's Den?

It’s short and sweet, has good environmental designs, and ramps you up to endgame levels of power in a really nice way for the length of the DLC. The story in it is also really excellent, a bit of a departure from the rest of the series, if just a bit more melancholy and personal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the project leads from Minerva's Den went on to form Fullbright and Gone Home + Tacoma in that same vein of lonely environmental storytelling.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought the environments in Minerva's Den were uninspired and the story wasn't especially interesting, outside of a decent twist at the end of it. It probably has the weakest villain in the entirety of BioShock too- which is saying something considering the nonsense Infinite would try to pull. Could anyone even tell me his name without looking it up?

The gameplay is fine but its largely just BioShock 2 but even shorter.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

And that was a completely pessimistic game. But still fantastic!

Was it? I don't remember it being pessimistic at all. It seemed pretty optimistic to me.

Could just be a glass half full/half empty thing though where what you see as pessimism is optimism to me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's opossimistic

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a question about X-Com 2: War of the Chosen. I have taken out the three Chosen, but the Avatar project still remains. The game doesn't really explain what I need to do left to finish the campaign. What am I missing?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

I have a question about X-Com 2: War of the Chosen. I have taken out the three Chosen, but the Avatar project still remains. The game doesn't really explain what I need to do left to finish the campaign. What am I missing?

This means you have not played dress-up with your soldiers enough

Beating the campaign requires researching all the special projects in the special Avenger facility. If you haven't built that or are missing research you need to have done the story missions, which may require expanding your resistance contacts on the map

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Thinking I may buy Tales of Berseria since its $16 even though I have no intention of playing it anytime soon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

Thinking I may buy Tales of Berseria since its $16 even though I have no intention of playing it anytime soon.

its one of my favorite rpgs of the past few years

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goko 2020: Play Anime

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Berseria is dope. Long game though the enjoyable characters make it worth it.

Taintrunner posted:

Goko 2020: Play Anime

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

That's a very good price for a very good game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

okami's up for $14 and i'm tempted but i already have so much else to play so i think i'll pass

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah I've seen nothing but good things about it but I'm playing a bunch of poo poo right now and there are more long rear end rpgs on the horizon. The curse of too many good games.

Cowcaster posted:

okami's up for $14 and i'm tempted but i already have so much else to play so i think i'll pass

I'm actually chipping away at this right now little by little lol. Okami is a very cozy game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tales of Berseria: Abduct Adopt a child and commit crimes. You're definitely not a crazy person.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm actually chipping away at this right now little by little lol. Okami is a very cozy game

it doesn't help i already played through it once back in the day so i'd be spending $14 to play an old game instead of not spending any more to play one of the gajillion new games i haven't touched

speaking of which i think that $40 phone port of secret of mana is supposed to be coming out sometime this month

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Thanks to whomever recommended heat signature in this thread.

I'm having a lot of fun with it, but missions either tend to either be way too easy or unspeakably hard.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

speaking of which i think that $40 phone port of secret of mana is supposed to be coming out sometime this month

I heard from a friend that the guy who did the voice of Tidus for FFX does all the VA in that game

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Gaming moments

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Mo7U0XSFo

2. All of the cat chef cutscenes in Monster Hunter: World

3. The SERE kit sequence in Titanfall 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I found the first B-Side in Celeste and got about 8 screens deep before going "nope, gently caress this, I'll come back after I beat the main game"

God drat it's a good game tho, the music is wonderful

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FirstAidKite posted:

Was it? I don't remember it being pessimistic at all. It seemed pretty optimistic to me.

Could just be a glass half full/half empty thing though where what you see as pessimism is optimism to me

Ark gets really, really screwed by everything. All he wanted was to have his village life back; he pretty much has to create the world, then guide its lifeforms through eons, the plants, the animals, the humans, even help them develop their technology and society. Then, in the end, after all that, the reward he gets for his efforts is...one day, one single day of his normal life. Then it is gone.

Seeing what the humans do to the animal lifeforms that you cared for so much also is a bit sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Yeah, Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia are both pretty dark

You develop humanity into a modern society, but with the subtext that you sacrificed the building blocks you discovered along the way to get there

• Locked thread