Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

pseudodragon posted:

So how badly has Vegas screwed over team 32? Can’t imagine them getting the same expansion draft rules with how well he Knights have done.

team 32 is probably going to be paying 20% more of an expansion fee than the $500m vegas paid just to get in the game. itd be really dumb if they didnt get at least as friendly expansion draft rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I guess the other point is that everything that helped out vegas was teams' GMs doing stupid poo poo, and you can't really legislate that out. they only have themselves to blame for managing to trade away assets and lose JAM, etc.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

grack posted:

You're absolutely delusional if you think a new coach is going to make New York any better. You can complain all you want about misusing players or whatever the gently caress but it doesn't get past the issue that the Rangers' roster simply isn't very good.

Any other coach would try to make changes when they are giving up 30+ shots every night and often give up 10-20 more shot attempts then they take.

But this is the coach who, early in the season with a healthy roster, iced a team with seven defensemen and three centers. I think he even went with 8D one game.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rags can have Rick tocchet when we're done with him

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
and the Rangers just called up Gilmore which is either because they needed/wanted 7 D with Staal injured or something else is going on

e: Staal on IR it sounds like

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 9, 2018

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

HootTheOwl posted:

He's going to end up in Chicago as management decides we were just one heathy Crawford away.

Hank and Sharpie on the same team?

:wink:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Zodijackylite posted:

Any other coach would try to make changes when they are giving up 30+ shots every night and often give up 10-20 more shot attempts then they take.

But this is the coach who, early in the season with a healthy roster, iced a team with seven defensemen and three centers. I think he even went with 8D one game.

Yet again, you absolutely refuse to address the salient point:

New York has an awful roster.

They have two worthwhile centres, two left wingers and three defensemen, and that may be generous. Rangers fans love to bitch, whine and moan about Buchnevich not being given top line minutes, but the reality is that right wing is the only position where New York actually has depth. Maybe you could argue he should be played ahead of Nash but he sure as poo poo shouldn't be played ahead of Zuccarello. He also gets just as much PP time as Nash or Zuccarello, so he's certainly getting time to produce.

I mean christ, you complain about AV *only* icing three centres when New York only has two centres worth a poo poo to begin with.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Nah. AV loving sucks. Regardless of roster.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

There's no coach in the league that makes the Rangers better than they are.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Vegas seems ripe for a first round loss. Play balls to the wall, over your head all season and then the Playoff teams with actual 1st liners start kicking it into a higher gear. They're undoubtedly getting a Central team too, which will be more trouble than the 2/3 teams in the Pacific face in round one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

grack posted:

I still don't want him around to develop a rebuild.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Levitate posted:

yeah for sure the roster is an issue but looking beyond just results and to their actual play....there's really no reason this team should be getting blown out time and time again all year long and only have 1 stretch of time where that didn't happen because their goaltenders bailed them out over and over. The on ice play has just been...suspect, lets say. AV is working with what he's got by trying to get the players he has to play a system that they can't execute properly, rather than working out a system that fits the players better.
The roster ultimately isn't good enough for them to be a real seriously good team or something but it also shouldn't be so bad as to play like trash game in and game out all year.

but even ignoring absolutely all of that, if they're selling and rebuilding and really follow through with a tear down, the question is whether AV is a good coach to try to bring a long a team of young players trying to establish themselves in the league versus coaching a team of veterans trying to compete for the cup. He's been a vets first kind of coach and he strongly believes in letting the players lead themselves and if you're moving even more veterans off the team and bringing in more young players, at some point the coach needs to be the guy cracking the whip or teaching the players.

They’re getting blown out because they have basically 2 lines even when healthy. DD wasn’t cutting it on Montreal’s 4th line and he is our 3C in a best case scenario. Our 4C has been a revolving door of AHLers.

I really think this was a hold your breath and hope we can make it to next season year after the Stepan Trade. Unfortunately the levee broke. We can Monday quarterback the poo poo out of this and I don’t think we’re finding a solution to fix the bad play in the start of the year or the possession woes even with all the hindsight we have now.

The other thing is this roster was designed (not this year specifically but over the AV reign) to suit AV’s system. Quick puck moving team with speed. It worked the past several years, we were near the top of the league in scoring for a lot of years. Unfortunately due to the cap situation and general environment they decided they needed to try and “retool on the fly” and it blew up in our face. Turns out retooling on the fly is hard.

That being said the remnants of this roster is still built to suit AV. If for example Sutter comes in, he’ll probably find these guys don’t work for his system at all.

tl;dr I think the losing is a function of the roster construction and not the coach or system. Left to its own devices the team would be better next year regardless of who is coaching.

e: annnnd Grack beat me.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
It's going to be interesting to see how Vegas handles March, where they have no two day breaks and end with a back to back.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vegas getting into the playoffs at all looked like an absolute pipe dream from the start, so them getting in is a massive victory in and of itself. Who gives a gently caress if they don't go beyond that

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Mike_V posted:

Vegas seems ripe for a first round loss. Play balls to the wall, over your head all season and then the Playoff teams with actual 1st liners start kicking it into a higher gear. They're undoubtedly getting a Central team too, which will be more trouble than the 2/3 teams in the Pacific face in round one.

Also, if the Vegas Flu is for reals, I don’t expect it to be much of an issue in the playoffs.

It’ll be an interesting test re: whether depth can overcome lack of star power, though. I’m not sure I’d bet against Vegas in the 1st round just yet because some of the teams they face don’t have a lot of high end talent, either. I could see Dallas overpowering Vegas but I would probably not pick LA, Colorado, or Minnesota to do the same.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Aphrodite posted:

It I coached the Rangers they'd have more than 2 regulation wins this year.

:toxx:

In case it happens.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

nashville lost a while back because of the scottsdale flu of all things

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I still don't want him around to develop a rebuild.

I'm usually the first to pile on the "AV is actually great" bandwagon, but I'm with you there. He doesn't strike me as a rebuild coach in the slightest. He's a crafty, methodical tactician who gets the most out his players, I don't consider him a great developer of young talent.

There's also the side to consider that AV probably doesn't want to be part of a rebuild. He's built a reputation as a top tier coach and has been in the playoffs pretty much every season of his career. I'm not sure he'd want to stick around for five years coaching a bad team to a 26th place finish. He'll probably wait until an opening for a team like Washington, San Jose or Anaheim comes available and jump on that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Devils are playing Quenneville tomorrow so that's cool. They need the scoring depth with MoJo/Gibbons out.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I think if AV is given the mandate of build for the future instead of win now a lot of what some of you guys hate goes away. Buchnevich for example is probably no longer constantly moving to the 4th line.

Also this is probably me being blindly optimistic but I don’t think it’s five years till we’re back in the playoffs (I guess it depends on just how far they burn it down I suppose). Chytil and Andersson fix A LOT of problems, unfortunately they just aren’t quite there yet. The biggest question to me is the D, and of course plugging whatever holes the sell off leaves.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jovial Cow posted:

They’re getting blown out because they have basically 2 lines even when healthy. DD wasn’t cutting it on Montreal’s 4th line and he is our 3C in a best case scenario. Our 4C has been a revolving door of AHLers.

Eh, I've seen teams with worse rosters be harder to play against. Roster is a big part of why they're losing but you can be a bad team that at least competes.

quote:

I really think this was a hold your breath and hope we can make it to next season year after the Stepan Trade. Unfortunately the levee broke. We can Monday quarterback the poo poo out of this and I don’t think we’re finding a solution to fix the bad play in the start of the year or the possession woes even with all the hindsight we have now.

I agree that this season was basically hoping that they'd manage to fly over the top of the holes in the roster and it didn't work out.

The Rangers have been a poor possession team basically since AV came here though, it's by design.

quote:

The other thing is this roster was designed (not this year specifically but over the AV reign) to suit AV’s system. Quick puck moving team with speed. It worked the past several years, we were near the top of the league in scoring for a lot of years. Unfortunately due to the cap situation and general environment they decided they needed to try and “retool on the fly” and it blew up in our face. Turns out retooling on the fly is hard.

I mean part of my issue is that they've actually been getting slower and slower. No one talks about the Rangers as a fast upbeat team anymore. Sure part of that was losing guys like Hagelin, but when the only thing fast about your game is that you occasionally throw the puck down the ice for Grabner or Kreider to chase, you're not actually a fast team. And that all has been changing over several years, not just this year. They're also slow on the forecheck, their slow on the rush, they've slowed down their game a lot since the 2014-2015 days. Is it just the players? Probably plays a part, like I said Hagelin going certainly left a lot of speed out, but the Rangers are also very consciously slowing the play down offensively and being cautious with their forechecking.

quote:

That being said the remnants of this roster is still built to suit AV. If for example Sutter comes in, he’ll probably find these guys don’t work for his system at all.

I'm honestly not sure who is suited to play AV's system at this point. You get a team of skating mobile puck moving defensemen and they all struggle, no one can pick up the system defensively, etc. I'm not sure anymore what makes someone suited to play his system because we haven't seen anyone able to do it well for several years now.

quote:

tl;dr I think the losing is a function of the roster construction and not the coach or system. Left to its own devices the team would be better next year regardless of who is coaching.
[/quote]

I'm probably putting more emphasis on the coaching because I'm frustrated with a lot of stuff I see as systematic issues, and other people might not agree.
The roster needs to be better. It probably won't be next season but the hope is that they'll get some young talented players in the lineup. I am however not sure why people just throw up their hands and say "the coach is faultless and perfect and it's all on the players!"

I think AV is a good coach with the right roster but the Rangers haven't had that roster for several years now

e: and man I said this at the beginning of the year and I'll say it now, if AV would just change his loving defensive system I'd probably a lot more lenient towards him at this point because it's always been super easy to get a ton of shots against the Rangers but teams have been getting better and better at exploiting his system and I'm really not sure what they gain by running it at this point. Plenty of other teams don't run that system but can break the puck out with speed and counter attack just fine.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 9, 2018

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

hifi posted:

nashville lost a while back because of the scottsdale flu of all things

Well that flu was extra bad because Trotz decided to revenge-scratch two of their best offensive players for two home games and then the team only scored 2 goals in those 2 games.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Devils are playing Quenneville tomorrow so that's cool. They need the scoring depth with MoJo/Gibbons out.

He played well yesterday.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Good on Gorton for kicking off the rebuild, was weird seeing them flip Stepan for futures at the draft and then signing the biggest UFA on the market days later.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen NYR “rebuild” since I’ve been watching hockey, super interested to see who they keep to build around.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think it’s possible that the draft for Seattle/Team 32 under the same rules might not be quite as favourable as Vegas had it, if only because they benefitted from some cap and roster crunches that have since been alleviated (by Vegas). It might take a little while for GMs to screw up their rosters bad enough to give away guys like Fleury/Neal/Schmidt again.

Or good players could always be available because GMs are idiots and nobody does talent evaluation well, whatever.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Remember when people used to be worried about expansion causing "talent dilution?" Does anyone feel like that has happened? IMO there are enough mediocre/marginal NHL-level players around and coaching and goaltending is generally good enough that the NHL could probably have several more teams without seeing a ton of obvious difference but also that is a shame because watching good players clown scrubs is enjoyable.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pierre LeBrun is suggesting the CBJ can get a late 1st for JMFJ and wonders if they may immediately flip that 1st with other pieces for a forward.

Darren Dreger apparently says Tampa may willing to spend a 1st on JMFJ or Mike Green.

Let's do it. :getin:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Thufir posted:

Remember when people used to be worried about expansion causing "talent dilution?" Does anyone feel like that has happened? IMO there are enough mediocre/marginal NHL-level players around and coaching and goaltending is generally good enough that the NHL could probably have several more teams without seeing a ton of obvious difference but also that is a shame because watching good players clown scrubs is enjoyable.

talent is better distributed now than it used to be. i think it's going to force coaches to adapt, and utilize players they might not have before (tiny men, glass cannons, anyone who just has one Real Good Trick and are passable elsewhere, etc). I think the amount of NHL-level talent available to these teams is higher than the amount of roster spots in the league, and guys who could probably shine if moved one line/pairing up will get those opportunities when Seattle moves in.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Thufir posted:

Even if you assume talent dilution is A Thing, the average depth guy now is leagues better than the average depth guy pre-expansion and its not particularly close. Dead puck grinders suuuuuucked.

NHL32 should be fine as long as their coach/GM combo isn't like, Bergevin/Carlyle

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Why wouldn't the league want another successful expansion team? This new team is a free $650m. If Vegas wins the cup and Seattle succeeds, then the dreams of $1b for expansion to Quebec might happen.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Talent dilution has been a stupid lie for decades. I would have believed it when the league doubled in size and players came from Canada and maybe 2 US states but not since the fall of the Iron Curtain

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Hey RAS, on the plus side Andersson got a goal and two assists against bridgeport the other day with the goal being his first for the wolf pack.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The GM Jeff Gorton did know
Can't continue this farce of a show
no chance of a cup
just blow it all up
FIRESALE EVERYTHING MUST GO

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 9, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jovial Cow posted:

Hey RAS, on the plus side Andersson got a goal and two assists against bridgeport the other day with the goal being his first for the wolf pack.

Chytiljuice had a goal too IIRC.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Joel Edmundson out six weeks with a broken forearm. Not a critical loss, but still hurts. Hopefully we get to see Jake Walman called up and not the corpse of Chris Butler once again.

This was the first game the Blue blew out their opponent in a while, last one was against Detroit, the same game where Jaden Schwartz was lost for 6 weeks and Pietrangelo was out for a little bit. Stop winning big is the message, I guess.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
with all the whinging from RAS I figured the rangers must be totally out of it

they're 3 points out of a wildcard spot and 7 points out of their division's top 3

if your GM was benning you'd be buying for sure

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

That's why me, an outsider, can really fix things.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

JawKnee posted:

with all the whinging from RAS I figured the rangers must be totally out of it

they're 3 points out of a wildcard spot and 7 points out of their division's top 3

if your GM was benning you'd be buying for sure

The metro has been garbage lately and they have 2 regulation wins in the last 18 or 19 games. Even if they make it in, they're first round fodder and I'm glad they're selling.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

That's why me, an outsider, can really fix things.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Barry Melrose or Mike Keenan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Matt Zerella posted:

The metro has been garbage lately and they have 2 regulation wins in the last 18 or 19 games. Even if they make it in, they're first round fodder and I'm glad they're selling.

To emphasize this point, I think Pittsburgh is the only team over .500 in the last 10.

• Locked thread