Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was actually watching Frasier when I read those posts and missed it.

I guess you're not just ugly in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

*facepalm*

Thank you, I should have realized.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
TGIF

Try Getting Into Frasier

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

TGIF

Try Getting Into Frasier

I'm not really into Fraiser, but it's decent enough fair to wind down to before I hit the bed

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Of course the alternative reason that not many people are discussing Altered Carbon is that it's not very good.

In fact, it's basically a boring slog of a program that is visually expensive but ultimately doesn't look very new or fresh at all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

On the other hand I think it's great and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I got about 4 episodes into Altered Carbon last weekend and i'm not sure I'll do much more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm all about the science fiction action titties. I'm easy to please.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PriorMarcus posted:

Of course the alternative reason that not many people are discussing Altered Carbon is that it's not very good.

In fact, it's basically a boring slog of a program that is visually expensive but ultimately doesn't look very new or fresh at all.

There's a whole thread for it, people generally discuss shows without threads here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, the thread seems to have a decent amount of pages given how long it’s been out.

efb kinda

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
what's Frasier, hang on let me Bing it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

what's Frasier, hang on let me Bing it

I don't know why you feel the need to mention the search engine that is the most popular and we all use every day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My search engine's name is also Bing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Altered Carbon is very genre-y and very good at being that in my opinion. Not surprising that it rubs some people the wrong way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

My search engine's name is also Bing.

You hired Chandler to be your assistant?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I haven't seen a lot of TV commercials for Altered Carbon they did multiple podcast ad buys on a couple different ones I listen to.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's about as effective as Squarespace though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix's marketing has always kind of been thin, especially compared to movies or other networks.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

PriorMarcus posted:

I thought it was fine, but man that finale was bad. Even in the book the whole outcome and mystery was just lame (now I remember why I only ever read the first book). In the show you can actually point to the moment it goes bad, which is when his sister shows up. That said the flashback in the next episode is fine, it is just everything in the current timeline has went to poo poo. Everything from his sister to the outcome feels forced. Honestly the finale was so bad I felt bad for the actors in it. Even they had to think this is some stupid poo poo.

Still I will give season 2 a spin, and it did make me appreciate the Expanse more. I hope they forget the books, and do their own thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nate fisher posted:

I thought it was fine, but man that finale was bad. Even in the book the whole outcome and mystery was just lame (now I remember why I only ever read the first book). In the show you can actually point to the moment it goes bad, which is when his sister shows up. That said the flashback in the next episode is fine, it is just everything in the current timeline has went to poo poo. Everything from his sister to the outcome feels forced. Honestly the finale was so bad I felt bad for the actors in it. Even they had to think this is some stupid poo poo.

Still I will give season 2 a spin, and it did make me appreciate the Expanse more. I hope they forget the books, and do their own thing.

The other two books go in different directions than the first. I think Broken Angels’ Aliens meets Apocalypse Now would work better than AC as a tv series.

The changes from the book were really the worst part, like making Reileen his sister instead of another crime boss, or Stacks an alien thing, and so on. I liked the series, a lot, even, but a lot of the changes had me scratching my head and asking “why?”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Netflix's marketing has always kind of been thin, especially compared to movies or other networks.

I feel like Netflix relied far more heavily on attraction as opposed to promotion until a few years ago, when it really decided that the bulk of its content spend was going to be on its originals as opposed to licenses, and no one was going to advertise their originals for them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timby posted:

I feel like Netflix relied far more heavily on attraction as opposed to promotion until a few years ago, when it really decided that the bulk of its content spend was going to be on its originals as opposed to licenses, and no one was going to advertise their originals for them.

There’s been a weird critical turn on their originals, too. I don’t feel like the quality has slipped that much for their big ticket stuff, but recent stuff like Altered Carbon and Bright have gotten a lot more of a critical thrashing then they deserved.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/WriterRAS/status/962035268097200129

quote:

In Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Salem was a warlock who’d been sentenced to live for 100 years as a cat after trying to take over the world. However, in The Chilling Adventures comic his story is quite a bit darker. As shown in a standalone issue of the series, he was a human who was turned into a cat by Salem’s witches after getting a witch pregnant and refusing to marry her. On the Netflix series, Salem the satanic feline joins Kiernan Shipka, who is playing the part of Sabrina, and Jaz Sinclair, as her best friend Rosalind Walker.

Gets transmogrified for being a fuccboi

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Salem was the loving best

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rarity posted:

Salem was the loving best

Wasn’t his puppeteer in Sabrina the Teenage Witch a former neurosurgeon or something like that?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

There’s been a weird critical turn on their originals, too. I don’t feel like the quality has slipped that much for their big ticket stuff, but recent stuff like Altered Carbon and Bright have gotten a lot more of a critical thrashing then they deserved.

Eh, it could just be that they’re slipping a bit. Bright deserved the criticism it got. I was 110% on board with it until it started hopping from threat to threat in increasingly unrealistic way, and the multiple elf ex machinas were just lazy and borderline insulting writing. Will and Joel sold the material as well as they could but at the end of the day it needed a major rewrite. I guess if the point was to make a mediocre 90’s action film they succeeded?

Then again I thought that The Cloverfield Paradox was better than everyone was saying it was so it might just be a case of taste being subjective.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lelandjs posted:

Eh, it could just be that they’re slipping a bit. Bright deserved the criticism it got. I was 110% on board with it until it started hopping from threat to threat in increasingly unrealistic way, and the multiple elf ex machinas were just lazy and borderline insulting writing. Will and Joel sold the material as well as they could but at the end of the day it needed a major rewrite. I guess if the point was to make a mediocre 90’s action film they succeeded?

Then again I thought that The Cloverfield Paradox was better than everyone was saying it was so it might just be a case of taste being subjective.

I get that. I liked Bright but I can see how people wouldn’t, but calling it the worst movie of 2017 and a new form of hell is waaay over the top. Way worse stuff came out, even if it’s not your cup of tea.

Haven’t seen clover field paradox yet, but I could see it being another similar situation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lelandjs posted:

Cloverfield Paradox wasn't terrible, but it was mostly a bunch of other, better sci-fi and horror movies smashed together.

lelandjs posted:

Eh, it could just be that they’re slipping a bit.

They're still doing okay with their TV shows (although the most recent Marvel ones have been hot messes), and they're still turning out good stuff like Stranger Things, Unfortunate Events, I thought The Crown took huge leaps forward in its second season, etc. Where they're really spinning their wheels is with movies, and I have no idea what the hell has happened to the quality control there, but between stuff like Bright and A Christmas Prince and Step Sisters and the like ... woof.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The changes from the book were really the worst part, like making Reileen his sister instead of another crime boss, or Stacks an alien thing, and so on. I liked the series, a lot, even, but a lot of the changes had me scratching my head and asking “why?”

Unless the character and their plot was better in the books, that was a good change. :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Unless the character and their plot was better in the books, that was a good change. :colbert:

I wouldn’t say better, but their motivations were equally developed and it felt less contrived.

Honestly, if you liked the series, you’ll love the book. Go check it out. It’s only 4-5 hundred pages, it’s not a GOT style door stopper.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Timby posted:

Cloverfield Paradox wasn't terrible, but it was mostly a bunch of other, better sci-fi and horror movies smashed together.

They're still doing okay with their TV shows (although the most recent Marvel ones have been hot messes), and they're still turning out good stuff like Stranger Things, Unfortunate Events, I thought The Crown took huge leaps forward in its second season, etc. Where they're really spinning their wheels is with movies, and I have no idea what the hell has happened to the quality control there, but between stuff like Bright and A Christmas Prince and Step Sisters and the like ... woof.

Are those movies actually Netflix productions or are they just scooping up poo poo that nobody wants for cheap? There has also been a bunch of mediocre war movies (Siege of Jagdtenville, that one with the water truck etc).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Popelmon posted:

Are those movies actually Netflix productions

Very few Netflix originals are actually produced by Netflix (like, only a handful have been.) They are a distribution outfit first and foremost. They buy content like other distributors, but actually produce very little.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't want Salem to be a deadbeat dad :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bobbycannavale/status/962114737256390656

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, that's hosed up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
59? What the hell man.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

59? What the hell man.

gently caress cancer, and don't smoke.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Folks

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/962052693760999425

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Man, that's hosed up.

John Anthony West didnt make it either, RIP you old coot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

finally, something as good as Sex House