Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
e: I'm dumb and have dumb opinions. Sorry.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Music can be blasting at full force but Siri can still hear you. Kinda cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finally picked up this dumb thing. It’s both bigger and smaller than I thought it would be at the same time. It sounds really good and setting it up was that same almost complete hand off wave your phone hit yes and you’re done setup Apple is getting really good at.

PS: it shows up as an accessory in Home so that’s where you can rename and look st the device settings (and set alarms).

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Finally picked up this dumb thing. It’s both bigger and smaller than I thought it would be at the same time. It sounds really good and setting it up was that same almost complete hand off wave your phone hit yes and you’re done setup Apple is getting really good at.

PS: it shows up as an accessory in Home so that’s where you can rename and look st the device settings (and set alarms).

I was surprised it was mesh. Now I have to keep it away from the drat cats.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Over There posted:

Ah gently caress I’m going to murder my cat if she gets near this. May need to keep it in the bedroom instead of living room.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ah gently caress I’m going to murder my cat if she gets near this. May need to keep it in the bedroom instead of living room.

Why did you buy it if you didn't have a specific place you needed or wanted an expensive speaker?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Suqit posted:

Why did you buy it if you didn't have a specific place you needed or wanted an expensive speaker?

My dude, if I only bought things I needed I wouldn’t have anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The sound is really good and the mics are insanely sensitive. I have the Black Panther soundtrack playing at a pretty good volume and it can hear me speaking at a normal speaking voice about 12 feet away. My Echo would be asking me to repeat in the same conditions.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Got it but won't finish the set up process. I get to the step of choosing it's location and then next and then just a white box.

From either my iPhone or iPad on latest OS. Tried restarted all of the devices and no dice.

Frown. #frozengate

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dexter6 posted:

Got it but won't finish the set up process. I get to the step of choosing it's location and then next and then just a white box.

From either my iPhone or iPad on latest OS. Tried restarted all of the devices and no dice.

Frown. #frozengate

Do you have a homekit home setup? What’s the hub? Tried restarting that?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do you have a homekit home setup? What’s the hub? Tried restarting that?
No homekit setup. I had to install the home app. What do you mean by hub?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
UPS delivered mine about an hour ago. Setup was absurdly easy for me, and it definitely lives up to the hype as far as the audio aspects are concerned. Not sure what I'll actually use it for apart from listening to stuff and occasionally checking the weather, but the "listening to stuff" part is pretty ace.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dexter6 posted:

No homekit setup. I had to install the home app. What do you mean by hub?

For the automation stuff in home, it needs a hub / device that stays at home so the automation can run even when you’re out of home. It’s generally an iPad or Apple TV.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For the automation stuff in home, it needs a hub / device that stays at home so the automation can run even when you’re out of home. It’s generally an iPad or Apple TV.
Yeah I can't get past the second set up screen to even choose the hub devices or whatever.

literally:

Step 1: White square with HomePod and "setup"
Step 2: Choose your location
Step 3: blank white box

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Hold up, I thought the HomePod will act as a hub of you don't have an Apple TV or stay at home iPad.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It will.

My wild, out the butt guess on dexters problem is he probably doesn’t have iCloud Keychain and 2FA enabled. Because the next step is apparently asking if you want to enable personal settings.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It will.

My wild, out the butt guess on dexters problem is he probably doesn’t have iCloud Keychain and 2FA enabled. Because the next step is apparently asking if you want to enable personal settings.

He does. I just chatted with tech support for 45 mins then called in for 45 mins and the answer is for me to exchange it at the Apple Store.

Guess I got a DOA

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

Hold up, I thought the HomePod will act as a hub of you don't have an Apple TV or stay at home iPad.

Actually it overrides your hub automatically. Previous hub shows as “standby” but the pod takes over.

Only issue I’m currently having is not being able to get it to play my playlists when called out. I say Relaxing and it starts playing Relaxing Classical. Workout ends up playing Hip Hop Workout. It’s connected to my account and the other personal stuff is working just fine so that’s going to be fun to figure out.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Only issue I’m currently having is not being able to get it to play my playlists when called out. I say Relaxing and it starts playing Relaxing Classical. Workout ends up playing Hip Hop Workout. It’s connected to my account and the other personal stuff is working just fine so that’s going to be fun to figure out.
My favorite so far is trying to get it to play the NieR:Automata soundtrack, which I finally got it to do by saying "Hey Siri play Significance hyphen Nothing by Square Enix" so it would start on the first track and keep going.

It seems like in general it helps to mention the type of media to clarify to Siri what it should be looking for, since it tends to default to playing the most similar-sounding thing it can find on Apple Music. I was able to get my own playlist called "Workout" to play (from the other room, with a workout video playing no less), but I did it by telling Siri to play "my workout playlist."

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'm pretty happy with this so far. The sound is pretty good. I can speak normally across the room at 100% volume and it hears me just fine. I wouldn't mind picking up some used ones from people who don't like it eventually.

My use case: I work from home and listen to a ton of podcasts and music while I'm working

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Played with mine for a couple hours. Sounds great for its size.

My use case: gently caress assistance aside from “stop”, “next”, and “play”. I listen to a shitload of music and I don’t want a giant loving setup.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My playlists are working properly this morning so just have been some AM cache fuckery going on.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So music gets loving loud, but I've noticed when I hook it up to my Mac or Apple TV, it doesn't get that loud. Strange.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Over There posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The moment they announced the HomePod I thought, "some cat is going to destroy one as a scratching post day one."

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I thought about getting a HomePod to replace the old radio I have in my garage. Can I use this thing without internet? At least after the initial setup? My garage is too far away from the house to pick up my WiFi signal. I figured I could just use it to play music from my phone, but I can't really find anything after Googling for a bit that tells me one way or another.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Thankfully my cats are not interested in my HomePod. I would destroy them if they were

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I thought about getting a HomePod to replace the old radio I have in my garage. Can I use this thing without internet? At least after the initial setup? My garage is too far away from the house to pick up my WiFi signal. I figured I could just use it to play music from my phone, but I can't really find anything after Googling for a bit that tells me one way or another.

Not really. You’re meant to have it hooked up to the internet since it’s not a Bluetooth speaker.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

My homepod was delivered yesterday. This thing sounds GREAT. Will definitely pickup a second once Airplay 2 is released.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there a way to connect a HomePod with my iPod Hifi?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there a way to connect a HomePod with my iPod Hifi?

In terms of what? You won't be able to get them to run in stereo, but I guess you could use an Apple TV and some adapters to extract audio from HDMI to make it an AirPlay 2 receiver* and connect that to the AUX in on your iPod Hifi.

*Apple hasn't said if Airports Express will get an update for AirPlay 2, which would make this a lot easier.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Goddamn this thing sounds great. First thing I put on was Tame Impala's Currents and I'm hearing poo poo that I only ever otherwise heard when I saw them in concert.

(My previous setups were all cheapo garbage so I'm sure that's part of it, but so far, wow, very happy with this.)

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

qirex posted:

I know local files are totally for old folks, grandpa but I find it weird that none of the smart speakers on the market can search and play files from a computer on your network. The homepod can kind of do it with iTunes Match but it still seems weird, especially for Sonos.

Sonos can do this. It's built in natively, no workarounds required.

If you have a Windows PC, simply share your music collection on your local network, open the Sonos app and add it to your library. It streams FLAC up to 16bit/44.1.

https://i.imgur.com/BFjzrX6.png

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So after a couple days, I have a couple minor complaints:

1. I wish there was a way to see what's playing without having to ask.
2. I wish I could turn off touch interactions since I don't see myself using them and my cat has turned it on more than once. (There's an accessibility setting to increase the touch time needed to activate, so that might solve it, at least.)

Said cat has thankfully NOT used it as a scratching post, and just walks over it, turning it on or off.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Brain Issues posted:

Sonos can do this. It's built in natively, no workarounds required.

I know that, I was talking about voice control. Sonos has explicitly not included it in talking about their Alexa plans, instead mentioning only Amazon music and Spotify. Other Alexa speakers can’t work with local files, neither can Google speakers nor the HomePod. I know there’s workarounds and I personally have zero interest in yelling at my stereo, I just think it’s weird that not a single one supports local files.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

qirex posted:

I know that, I was talking about voice control. Sonos has explicitly not included it in talking about their Alexa plans, instead mentioning only Amazon music and Spotify. Other Alexa speakers can’t work with local files, neither can Google speakers nor the HomePod. I know there’s workarounds and I personally have zero interest in yelling at my stereo, I just think it’s weird that not a single one supports local files.

Bluntly put, that’s not a scenario for a lot of people at this point. Like it’s a 5% case at best if I were spitballing.

I have local files and I stream them upnp to a connected speaker but now with two HomePods, I just use Apple Music.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

So after a couple days, I have a couple minor complaints:

1. I wish there was a way to see what's playing without having to ask.

Not exactly a perfect solution but you can go to control center on the iPhone and force touch music controls to see other devices, one of which should be the HomePod.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
If anyone wanted to know how my saga of not getting my HomePod to activate went...

Turns out you have to have the Apple Music app on your device for it to go through all the setup steps. So even though it knows you need the home app and prompts you to download it, it does not prompt you to install the Apple Music app if you've deleted it. And instead it just freezes on a white screen.

So glad that after 90 minutes of tech support my girlfriend randomly asks me if I have Apple Music and I said I don't pay for the service and she said, but do you have the app??

So yeah. Requires Apple Music app to make it through the install.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not exactly a perfect solution but you can go to control center on the iPhone and force touch music controls to see other devices, one of which should be the HomePod.

Oh cool this is good enough. Thanks!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

dexter6 posted:

If anyone wanted to know how my saga of not getting my HomePod to activate went...

Turns out you have to have the Apple Music app on your device for it to go through all the setup steps. So even though it knows you need the home app and prompts you to download it, it does not prompt you to install the Apple Music app if you've deleted it. And instead it just freezes on a white screen.

So glad that after 90 minutes of tech support my girlfriend randomly asks me if I have Apple Music and I said I don't pay for the service and she said, but do you have the app??

So yeah. Requires Apple Music app to make it through the install.

Lol you bought it but don’t have Apple Music? Sorry, that just seemed odd to me.

Are you just using it as an AirPlay target then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Lol you bought it but don’t have Apple Music? Sorry, that just seemed odd to me.

Are you just using it as an AirPlay target then?
Yes (with Spotify), and Siri. And I have $25/year all my music in the cloud thing from a few years back, so I was likely to re-install Apple Music at some point after getting it.

I would have rather had the setup wizard tell me to install Apple Music if it was required, or make it not required. But just taking me a blank white screen was not ideal.