Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MononcQc posted:

dude got mad and e-mailed HR with a terribly written quebecois insult e-mail before HR had even reached out to him. Here's my rough translation of it, with fewer typos than the original, but I kept some for the feeling of it:

so uh, our hard pass is validated

This is even funnier when I imagine it delivered by Jean Reno doing a bad Quebecois accent.

E: Had no idea he was Spanish and from Morocco!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

MononcQc posted:

dude got mad and e-mailed HR with a terribly written quebecois insult e-mail before HR had even reached out to him. Here's my rough translation of it, with fewer typos than the original, but I kept some for the feeling of it:

so uh, our hard pass is validated

E: example for the liberal translation: the original text contained 'criss vs un objet da ltra de q' is what I guess is "crissez-vous un objet dans le trou d'cul". I don't know if the dude tried to bypass email filters but the literal equivalent would "gently caress u an object in ya rear end hal"

Why though? Like, I can see why someone would be mad at an interview, been there myself (no, I don't do webdev, why are you asking me webdev questions?), but I just shrugged and mentally noted that I don't want to work at the company, without sending dumb emails. :shrug:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I have no idea, but all I can think is that at least the feeling of not working together is fully mutual. Hooray for preventing a technically competent person but also gigantic manbaby from joining the team.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
If a large multinational company has a position listed for a location in a nearby city, but also a large presence in my city, is it worth asking if it is possible to work the same position instead at my city?

Probably gonna ask anyway but I'd like to hear thoughts on the matter.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kudaros posted:

If a large multinational company has a position listed for a location in a nearby city, but also a large presence in my city, is it worth asking if it is possible to work the same position instead at my city?

no.

you can ask but no answer is going to be satisfactory, unless they posted the job in the wrong city by accident. which seems unlikely.

asking if you can be the only one in the "wrong" office is a lot like walking into the interview and asking if you can WFH 3 days a week. it's not a good look.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
good point.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

did you call them out on it?

Nah, I'm happy to let them go about their business thinking that it isn't completely obvious they're trying to cheat the interview.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

did you call them out on it?

it's dumb to pretend that google doesn't exist during a phone screen

that said yeah you are gonna have to do better than google and regurgitate

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i did an online coding test for an interview once and i was googling things all the time

not ashamed or anything, that's just how i code :shrug:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Xarn posted:

Why though? Like, I can see why someone would be mad at an interview, been there myself (no, I don't do webdev, why are you asking me webdev questions?), but I just shrugged and mentally noted that I don't want to work at the company, without sending dumb emails. :shrug:

something about nerds being spiteful insecure assholes

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Symbolic Butt posted:

I sent a resume to a place these days and HR seems to be fumbling around because nobody even knew there was an embedded linux position in the company

not sure what to think about this but maybe it's kind of a bad sign

oh an update to this, after about a week they deleted the ad from the website and told me there was never such a position :negative:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

When I got hired at a game streaming startup they needed someone who was an expert on Ubuntu and on Wine.

I was found by an external recruiter who researched that I was Ubuntu's Wine maintainer. The first point of contact was direct message via Freenode IRC after asking me in the #winehq channel.

I've shared this story with quite a few people, and the consensus seems to be that this was the best external recruiter story you will ever hear in your lifetime.

the joke is that you were grossly unsuitable

you were a volunteer for Ubuntu who broke the wine packages from upstream, nothing more

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
how to succeed on your take home interview: use your demo enterprise account to submit high-priority support tickets asking for assistance on your take home questions.

it did work for about a day until i complained to the department attempting to hire this candidate that they hadn't properly onboarded this particular "customer"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

how to succeed on your take home interview: use your demo enterprise account to submit high-priority support tickets asking for assistance on your take home questions.

it did work for about a day until i complained to the department attempting to hire this candidate that they hadn't properly onboarded this particular "customer"

lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:nsavince:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the joke is that you were grossly unsuitable

you were a volunteer for Ubuntu who broke the wine packages from upstream, nothing more
I automated half my job and taught interns to do the other half, then got laid off.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ShadowHawk posted:

I automated half my job and taught interns to do the other half, then got laid off.

good job playing yourself

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ShadowHawk posted:

interview thread is good this morning

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don’t get it, why would you want to get hired for a job where you literally can’t even do the simplified version on the take home test? what are you going to do when they put real work in front of you?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

I don’t get it, why would you want to get hired for a job where you literally can’t even do the simplified version on the take home test? what are you going to do when they put real work in front of you?

This. Cheating on tests because you just "know" you'll be able to do the "real" job is dumb. I see lots of applications that have poo poo like "I don't have the main thing you require, but I'm confident I can pick it up", more like "uh yeah I'll spend several months figuring poo poo out instead of just performing off the bat before getting fired because they expected me to already be an expert :rolleyes:".

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The Management posted:

Because 99 times out of 100 the test has absolutely nothing to do with the requirements of the job, already has an established solution, or is just loving dumb.

Example of the last: given a list of phone numbers and call durations, sum them up and bill at 3 cents a second under five minutes and at 2.5 cents a second, rounded up to the next minute for calls over five minutes. The number with the longest duration is not billed. Should multiple numbers have the same duration, then the lowest number is not billed.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
fake it till you make it works in college so

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Peeny Cheez posted:

Because 99 times out of 100 the test has absolutely nothing to do with the requirements of the job, already has an established solution, or is just loving dumb.

Example of the last: given a list of phone numbers and call durations, sum them up and bill at 3 cents a second under five minutes and at 2.5 cents a second, rounded up to the next minute for calls over five minutes. The number with the longest duration is not billed. Should multiple numbers have the same duration, then the lowest number is not billed.

“you see, boss, this problem already has an established solution and is also loving dumb. so I won’t be implementing it. what else ya got?”

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

qhat posted:

This. Cheating on tests because you just "know" you'll be able to do the "real" job is dumb. I see lots of applications that have poo poo like "I don't have the main thing you require, but I'm confident I can pick it up", more like "uh yeah I'll spend several months figuring poo poo out instead of just performing off the bat before getting fired because they expected me to already be an expert :rolleyes:".

If someone hasnt used the main framework u use, but theyve used similar ones that do pretty much the same thing, would that be good enough to avoid the “No” pile?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
if there's one thing i've learned from the interviewing thread, its that a lot of people have internalized the abusive practices of the industry as actually good

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I HAVE GOUT posted:

If someone hasnt used the main framework u use, but theyve used similar ones that do pretty much the same thing, would that be good enough to avoid the “No” pile?

Not sure what kind of question this is, obviously that entirely depends on how good the rest of the candidates are who do have the required toolset.

But like if they're an expert in python and this is a C++ job and they don't have much C++, yeah forget it.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Peeny Cheez posted:

also, do it in one pass through the data set, here’s your filthy whiteboard and dried out expo marker, gently caress you and good luck

your next interview will be tødor and jignesh who will ask you to name a serious bug you fixed in a job from three years ago, and respond with “Well that was dumb, your QA department sucks.”

also this interview isn’t for any specific team, this is the end of a final stage interview and they’ll do a cattle call and the managers will just take their picks

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 8, 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coffee Jones posted:

also this interview isn’t for any specific team, this is the end of a final stage interview and they’ll do a cattle call and the managers will just take their picks

well yeah there's no specific job that's being hired for, we just know we need more bodies because we need to scale to anything we start trying to do

since we aren't sure on what job actually needs to be done, that means we need to hire generalists which we will define as people just like us because we think we're generally excellent

so we need to just hire more people we think are just like us, in massive scale

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

Not sure what kind of question this is, obviously that entirely depends on how good the rest of the candidates are who do have the required toolset.

But like if they're an expert in python and this is a C++ job and they don't have much C++, yeah forget it.

nah the equivalent to what he’s saying is “I’ve never used Qt but I’m an expert in gtk “

though if someone said that to me I’m sure I’d involuntarily wince in pain

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I HAVE GOUT posted:

usually no, because HR people are dumber than poo poo

make sure you have both buzzwords on your resume

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dongslayer. posted:

psst it never stops working

how do you think your boss' boss got his job

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

psst it never stops working

how do you think your boss' boss got his job

daddy putting him through Harvard so that he had ample opportunity to network with the Right Sorts Of People?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Sapozhnik posted:

daddy putting him through Harvard so that he had ample opportunity to network with the Right Sorts Of People?

Dongslayer. posted:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Peeny Cheez posted:

to be honest this question is much closer to a real day-to-day task one might encounter than e.g. 'reverse this linked list'

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

to be honest this question is much closer to a real day-to-day task one might encounter than e.g. 'reverse this linked list'

I did real well at a google interview but then my brain ejected and I somehow failed that "reverse this infinitely sized linked list ps you cant malloc and also you have a tiny heap this is actually a simple question you dumbarse".
Then I spent the next 10 years of my life in a deadend p-lang job making myself unemployable, so I guess google chose wisely. :tif:

I'm slowly coming to the realisation that my boss has been preventing me from working on interesting tech, not because it would benefit the company, but because it keeps me being an unemployable lowish paid idiot. Hmm.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m pretty sure you’re doomed to gently caress up your first google style marathon

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tbf reversing a singly-linked list in place is a useful part of a lock-free queue

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Never really liked linked list questions. It's ultra easy if you know the tricks, but people who don't and are under pressure get confused real easy with repointing poo poo around and edge cases. It's borderline brain teaser IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
for anyone other than an embedded/OS dev the correct answer to "how do you implement a linked list" is
"I don't"