Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's funny that his Oscar-winning performance is sandwiched between playing the bad guy in Under Siege and having one of the worst Irish accents in a decade full of bad Irish accents in movies in Blown Away.

At the very least, it's strange that Jones won but Ford wasn't even nominated (granted,there's no way he would've won because that was a pretty strong year in the Best Actor category).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, I'm keen on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys and I enjoyed Frago and Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski (it was actually a "Customers Also Bought" notification on Amazon that brought Free Fire to my attention :v:).
Having seen all of those movies, the difference is that they are very good :v:

Nah I mean Free Fire isn't terrible or anything so give it a try if you feel like it's something you might like. Just personally it didn't work as either an action film or even comedy in the sense of those movies you mention, but YMMV.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Fugitive is a drat fine film. I haven't seen In The Line Of Fire in like 17 years but I remember liking it a lot. I need to check out Patriot Games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Penpal posted:

Is Air Force One more an action or thriller? I haven't seen it and if it's Die Hard on a plane I'll watch it tonight. I could care less if it's good or not, I only just realised it's flown under my radar

Any film that cartwheels a 747 along the surface of the ocean is an action movie in my book.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Penpal posted:

Is Air Force One more an action or thriller? I haven't seen it and if it's Die Hard on a plane I'll watch it tonight. I could care less if it's good or not, I only just realised it's flown under my radar
Harrison Ford kicks the bad guy out of AF1 to his death with a one-liner. And there's an obvious allusion to Escape From New York with the presidential escape pod. It's an action movie.

Oh, man, that last shot of the 747. Not-quite-there-yet CGI right at the climax of the movie, you gotta love it!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gary Oldman is pretty good in it as well.

Not as good as he was in Leon: The Professional, but Norman Stansfield is one of the best action movie villains from the 90s (I think 90s action movies had the best bad guys).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

Harrison Ford kicks the bad guy out of AF1 to his death with a one-liner. And there's an obvious allusion to Escape From New York with the presidential escape pod. It's an action movie.

Oh, man, that last shot of the 747. Not-quite-there-yet CGI right at the climax of the movie, you gotta love it!

It's an especially weird shot given how very, very good the rest of the movie looks, like the incomprehensible CGI wheel smoke in Ronin.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I want to talk about Brawl in Cell Block 99. I loathe this movie. Spoilers.

I dunno if it's common to all teen boys or just my maladjusted group, but my friends and I used to have conversations about the worst forms of torture. "Cut open a scrotum and place a hot coal in it", "put bamboo shoots into your eyes", that kind of thing. Just pure mindless cruelty, a bunch of bored powerless kids imagining themselves being able to inflict pain and misery on someone for kicks. And that's pretty much how this movie operates.

Here's the thing: this movie degrades all the characters. The guards, the prisoners, everyone. There's literally one women in it and she cheats on her husband - of course she does. It's one of the most juvenile, misanthropic movies I've ever seen.The main character is degraded at his job, degraded economically, does the wrong thing for a bit, then finally the "right thing" to save human lives and is degraded by a judge, degraded in prison by other prisoners and the guards, then dies. There is no redemption. There is no salvation. Nothing is learned. This is a vicious, nihilistic movie. Vince Vaughn essentially plays Job - he is punished merely for existing in this evil, misanthropic script. He is dropped into successfully lower levels of Hell for making a moral decision, then has his dignity and family taken from him. It's only a question of how badly he'll hurt the "deserving" as he plummets into the lake of fire which is not something any version of me over the age of 15 gives a gently caress about.

I thought Vaugn's performance was great. He doesn't move well in the fights but he's an enormous guy and sells the idea of a reformed giant with an absolutely seething cauldron of anger and grievance at the injustice of his life bubbling at the core of his soul. Which is why the movie doing everything it can to degrade him short of prison rape (that's reserved as a threat for the bad guy - again, a puerile and immature movie) is so affecting.

The last shot of this film is Vince Vaugn's hangdog, soulful face - which we've been staring into for most of the movie - blown to pieces by a fascist cop's bullet. A perfect capstone to the over 2 hours of bloated misery. This film hates its main character and hates the audience the same way I did at 15. It's an edgy little boy's fantasy of rape and cutting the limbs of fetuses and smashing your opponet's faces to jelly and getting your revenge on your enemies while you hold your guts in. It needs to grow the gently caress up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't really like it either.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I dunno if it's common to all teen boys or just my maladjusted group, but my friends and I used to have conversations about the worst forms of torture. "Cut open a scrotum and place a hot coal in it", "put bamboo shoots into your eyes", that kind of thing. Just pure mindless cruelty, a bunch of bored powerless kids imagining themselves being able to inflict pain and misery on someone for kicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVGNvA8Yo4

Thanks guys, I'm watching Air Force One tonight.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Yeah we need more grown up, adult prison movies. Like Riki-Oh

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FancyMike posted:

Yeah we need more grown up, adult prison movies. Like Riki-Oh

You're misunderstanding. Prison movies don't need to grow up. This particular movie does.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i feel like that's being slightly unfair to BICB99, but at the same time, that movie totally is overly edgy as all gently caress and i can't really begrudge you for not liking that

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
That's an accurate assessment of the movie, it's modern day exploitation. I liked it but I can 100% see where people who don't are coming from.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

married but discreet posted:

That's an accurate assessment of the movie, it's modern day exploitation. I liked it but I can 100% see where people who don't are coming from.

Exploitation and grindhouse is not nihililsm, in my opinion.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Kinda sounds like you got your precious sensibilities hurt.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sponges posted:

Kinda sounds like you got your precious sensibilities hurt.

a major plot point in Brawl in Cell Block 99 is that the villain has hired a Korean abortion doctor to, if the protagonist fails in his tasks, sever all of his unborn daughter's limbs in such a way that she'll still survive but be a complete invalid for her entire life. this is elucidated in loving graphic detail and very nearly happens.

pretty much the movie's signature scene is a man's face being literally scraped off his head by way of boot and concrete floor, followed immediately by another guy getting curbstomped so hard his jaw loving rockets out of his chin.

BiCB99 is a good movie, but you either haven't seen it or you're an idiot if you think that's not a totally fair complaint against it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, i pretty much habitually consume absurdly dark and edgy poo poo, it's basically my preferred type of movie/TV show/etc, and even I kind of thought it got a little much

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Whoa, I enjoy a good fighting movie as much as anyone, or a noir story where the protagonist is constantly out of his element as the system grinds him down, or a story about a criminal trying to reform and do his time, but his violent past keeps coming back to haunt him. But based on all that, I don't even want to see it. Just removed it from my Amazon watchlist, and I appreciate the warnings.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

a major plot point in Brawl in Cell Block 99 is that the villain has hired a Korean abortion doctor to, if the protagonist fails in his tasks, sever all of his unborn daughter's limbs in such a way that she'll still survive but be a complete invalid for her entire life. this is elucidated in loving graphic detail and very nearly happens.

pretty much the movie's signature scene is a man's face being literally scraped off his head by way of boot and concrete floor, followed immediately by another guy getting curbstomped so hard his jaw loving rockets out of his chin.

BiCB99 is a good movie, but you either haven't seen it or you're an idiot if you think that's not a totally fair complaint against it

Sounds dope

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Air Force One was pretty good, had a couple of stand out moments but it didn't blow my socks off.

The neck snap foley at the end though hahaha holy poo poo. And the refueling explosion was pretty dope. I bet the budget of the movie was smaller than I think because it's essentially a handful of sets and a small group of actors. There's a couple levels to AF1 and the situation room at the White House. The movie deffo made bank

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Penpal posted:

I bet the budget of the movie was smaller than I think because it's essentially a handful of sets and a small group of actors.

Wikipedia says $85 million, which I think would have qualified as a a "big budget" action movie in 1997 (recall that the most expensive production budget to that point had been the $100 million that James Cameron spent on True Lies).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Brawl in Cell Block 99 is absolutely depressing, grinding and nihilistic, but I disagree that it hates the audience and its main character. Definitely skip it if you can't put up with over two hours of the movie adding more and more weight to Vince Vaughn until it crushes him.

Bone Tomahawk is the happy-go-lucky S. Craig Zahler movie.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wikipedia says $85 million, which I think would have qualified as a a "big budget" action movie in 1997 (recall that the most expensive production budget to that point had been the $100 million that James Cameron spent on True Lies).

Yeah I'm even realizing now that Harrison Ford had crazy pull during Air Force One and was probably paid a poo poo ton of millions, like 10~20. Yeah, it definitely isn't cheap. I wonder if Ford was drawn to the film because of his interest in aviation.

air force one spoiler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJMxtvm-O5s&t=106s

the sound doesn't do that snap justice

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the one thing that dates Air Force One the most is how it begins with a US president pledging to intervene in conflicts around the world to stop dictators and being praised internationally for it and having all his staff saying, "He's just won his re-election!" :v:

It's a bit of an End of History angle, isn't it? The bad guys are the same way, actually. General Radek is described as a "neocommunist" and I'm fairly sure Gary Oldman laments the fall of the Soviet Union more than once.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Finally got around to re-watching The Last Boy Scout.

Reading all the behind scenes stuff about this just makes it even crazier that they managed to string together a pretty decent action movie. The fact that Willis and Wayans supposedly hated each other on set doesn't show at all.

Willis plays like a hypermacho version of John McClane and I'm not really sure if that is him wanting to be a "real" action star or the studio simply wanting more Die Hard.

Also, lol:

quote:

The film had a very troubled production. Everybody involved in the film had a miserable time working on it. Producer Joel Silver and main actor Bruce Willis took over the production, altered much of Shane Black's original script and forced director Tony Scott to film scenes he disliked under threat of being fired. Silver mentioned in later interviews how making of The Last Boy Scout was one of the three worst experiences in his life, while Willis swore that he would never work with Silver again. In his next film, True Romance, Scott parodied Silver by having character Lee Donowitz, a movie producer who is also a cocaine user and dealer, act just like Silver.

quote:

Assistant director James Skotchdopole later recalled how some of the production problems were caused due to the “Overabundance of alpha males on that project”. As he said in an interview; “Bruce was at the height of his stardom, so was Joel, so was Tony and so was Shane. There were a lot of people who had a lot of opinions about what to do. There were some heated, early-Nineties, testosterone charged personalities on the line. It was a ‘charged environment’, shall we say.”

Writer Shane Black also said about problems with the script; “I was forced to do more rewriting on that movie than on anything else I’ve done. There was tremendous pressure from the studio to get Bruce Willis and have this be a follow-up to Die Hard. He was reluctant, and rightly so: ‘This whole movie is about me saving my wife. I just did that in Die Hard.’ So they said, ‘OK, let’s minimize the wife and, and while we’re at it, add a big finale. There was a general pressure to somehow make it bigger.”

I guess they went bigger by not just throwing the bad guy off of a tall thing, but having him get sliced by a helicopter on the way down. And then having the big villain get blown up alongside a big chunk of the neighbourhood, just to really drive home how dead he was.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sponges posted:

Sounds dope

Oh don't get me wrong, if it sounds like your poo poo it probably is, but gently caress that's a nasty movie.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LesterGroans posted:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 is absolutely depressing, grinding and nihilistic, but I disagree that it hates the audience and its main character. Definitely skip it if you can't put up with over two hours of the movie adding more and more weight to Vince Vaughn until it crushes him.

Bone Tomahawk is the happy-go-lucky S. Craig Zahler movie.
Agreed, it's not for everyone but I already praised that movie ITT and will stand by it. It's exactly what you can expect from a prison exploitation flick, and while the treatment of the woman (or woman? there might've been a guard...) could be considered problematic, I don't think it detracts from the movie as such if you're into the genre.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MrBling posted:

Reading all the behind scenes stuff about this just makes it even crazier that they managed to string together a pretty decent action movie. The fact that Willis and Wayans supposedly hated each other on set doesn't show at all.

Willis plays like a hypermacho version of John McClane and I'm not really sure if that is him wanting to be a "real" action star or the studio simply wanting more Die Hard.

Also, lol:

I guess they went bigger by not just throwing the bad guy off of a tall thing, but having him get sliced by a helicopter on the way down. And then having the big villain get blown up alongside a big chunk of the neighbourhood, just to really drive home how dead he was.

Where did you read all this? I'm a Shane Black mark, and I've loved The Last Boy Scout ever since I was a young teenager. I wouldn't mind reading the behind-the-scenes stuff. I also loved True Romance, so I assumed the Lee Donowitz character was Tarantino taking the piss out of rear end in a top hat Hollywood executives he dealt with early in his career (maybe even Weinstein), without realizing it could ever be Tony Scott with a grudge against Joel Silver.

Could Kevin Spacey's character in Swimming With Sharks also be based on Silver, then? Or was that revealed to be someone else?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Where did you read all this? I'm a Shane Black mark, and I've loved The Last Boy Scout ever since I was a young teenager. I wouldn't mind reading the behind-the-scenes stuff. I also loved True Romance, so I assumed the Lee Donowitz character was Tarantino taking the piss out of rear end in a top hat Hollywood executives he dealt with early in his career (maybe even Weinstein), without realizing it could ever be Tony Scott with a grudge against Joel Silver.

Could Kevin Spacey's character in Swimming With Sharks also be based on Silver, then? Or was that revealed to be someone else?

All that is from the wikipedia entry. You can follow the source links down a few rabbit holes from there.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MrBling posted:

All that is from the wikipedia entry. You can follow the source links down a few rabbit holes from there.

Thank you!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finally saw Kingsman 2 as well recently.

It's a pretty indifferent movie. It has some good bits (I think Vaughn continues to be good at directing action sequences) but its reach exceeds its grasp. Not as effective as the first one.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MrBling posted:

Also, lol:

I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember thinking it was such a grimy, unpleasant, kinda mean-spirited movie. Those aren't really faults, mind you. Just the world of the movie was one I didn't want to inhabit.

I do love the jig, though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Payndz posted:

The last time I watched it, I was shocked by how much movie is left after Oldman bites it. There’s like a whole other twenty minutes of double-crosses and loving around after he steps out of the picture.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fart City posted:

The last time I watched it, I was shocked by how much movie is left after Oldman bites it. There’s like a whole other twenty minutes of double-crosses and loving around after he steps out of the picture.

It's kind of like how Speed has two climaxes because they can't get off the bus and beat Dennis Hopper at the same time.

In the case of Air Force One, you sort of forget that Xander Berkeley was the mole all along.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's kind of like how Speed has two climaxes because they can't get off the bus and beat Dennis Hopper at the same time.
Speed 2 had to one-up that and have three climaxes! First they stop the ship from crashing into the oil tanker and killing everyone aboard. Then the ship crashes into a town, because that was literally DeBont's dream and dammit, he was going to crash a ship into a town even if it cost a full quarter of the budget. Then there's a chase and Willem Dafoe gets killed when Chekhov's oil tanker blows up anyway.

It's a bad film, but in retrospect I think it could have been saved if they hadn't been so goddamn lazy. If Keanu Reeves backs out, then don't just do a find & replace of 'Jack' to 'Alex' throughout the script and add maybe two lines for Annie that they broke up. Instead of Alex being a Jack clone (they're in the same SWAT team! How could Annie not know what he did for a living?), maybe make him a traffic cop or a Santa Monica cycle patrolman or a lifeguard - something where he feels like he doesn't match up to Annie's superheroic ex, and has to step up to the challenge and prove himself through the film. Bam, character arc, done.

As for the rest of the movie, I once edited the ship crash in iMovie to get rid of most of the comedy moments. Funnily enough, the scene's excitement rises in inverse proportion to the number of wacky sight gags and cast members saying "Oh poo poo." There are some thrills there, but DeBont did a Bay and smothered them under jokes.

Mancina's score is probably the best thing about the film as it stands. It got chopped up on screen, but 'Escape' is a brilliant action track - I often play it when I'm writing to pump me up.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 11, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mencia’s scores in general seriously kick rear end. Every time I go to Florida to visit my folks, I blast the Bad Boys theme the moment I get off the plane. It’s dope.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CelticPredator posted:

Mencia’s scores in general seriously kick rear end. Every time I go to Florida to visit my folks, I blast the Bad Boys theme the moment I get off the plane. It’s dope.
I was honestly disappointed that Mancina didn't come back for Bad Boys 2. The original's score had, y'know, themes and motifs and stuff. All I can remember from BB2 was a wall of noise and grunting guitar licks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s barely a score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On further reflection, Kingsman 2 is actually really like Kick-rear end 2, in that both scripts needed another couple of passes to tighten them up. Kingsman 2 still has pretty cool action scenes but the plot is pretty bloated. Harry could have had his memories restored a lot sooner, for instance, there could have been a smoother way to track Charlie than the creepy Glasto scene (that Taron Egerton was reportedly deeply uncomfortable with) and I was particularly disappointed by how much of a nothing character Channing Tatum turned out to be.

All that being said, one bit I kind of appreciated is that the villain's plan was going to "fail" regardless of what Eggsy and Harry did because the president was an even bigger piece of poo poo than she was

You know what else it reminds me of? Machete Kills, which I have mentioned my problems with in this thread already.