Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

algebra testes posted:

Actually a real Aussie Operator would have an ability that locks all brown skinned enemy ops in a hell island with no food and water until the end of the round.

"I grew here, you flew here."

well that got dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Thief posted:

:allears:

lol these things are supposedly incredibly expensive to make but i'm glad we're getting more tachanka instead of actual intro vids to existing ops

i like how they're making Ash the Ding Chavez of this game. also is that her elite skin? when they give it away for free she'll join Blackbeard to start the group of "welp this one's finished" category for operators that are officially past their prime but still own when someone decides to main them and carry their team

Ash is clearly on the phone with Ding. He is currently training to be the Year 3 DLC Op we've all been waiting for. A 3 Speed 3 Armor with 3 Frags, a Benelli and a magnum revolver.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Real talk does Ash's gadget have any utility?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Danknificent posted:

Nuking Nests of Shock Wire, blasting open interior walls for team mates, scaring the poo poo out of me while I'm prone under a castle window waiting on an ez kill

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Danknificent posted:

Fools user into thinking they have an actual grenade launcher.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Nuking Nests of Shock Wire, blasting open interior walls for team mates, scaring the poo poo out of me while I'm prone under a castle window waiting on an ez kill

Also blowing apart portable shields

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Ash is clearly on the phone with Ding. He is currently training to be the Year 3 DLC Op we've all been waiting for. A 3 Speed 3 Armor with 3 Frags, a Benelli and a magnum revolver.

Ding is the only operator who can take a headshot

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
ash's gadget is actually one of the best in the game

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

How are you gonna question the utility of the gadget that you point at poo poo and it blow up?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
it's not as good as the best gadget, breaches, which she also have

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah but those can't clear a deployable shield + frost/kapkan trap combo from across half the map.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jVzI0w9tWs

breaches are cool but smoke grenades are generally my favorite if its an option

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Danknificent posted:

In addition to the above she can also use it to blow ceilings and hatches above you like buck can, so you can shoot into the objective from below. And of course if you're above the objective you cna use it in addition to your 3 breach charges to open up the floor even harder if necessary.

Some pro teams use ash as an improvised thatcher because depending on the objective she can go above garage doors, open a perfect hole and shoot bandit's batteries from above.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h8MZ95bzYo

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

3 different views of this mess on our team v team last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J234EEiJQ8I

https://streamable.com/i87xa

https://streamable.com/huzlt

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Thanks for the replies on Ash's thing. I guess I felt like most of that could be accomplished with frags, but I definitely hear you.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
A lot of it can, frags are also great. But don't underestimate being able to blow open a wall at a distance with almost no warning.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Attackers don't have impacts, either, and one of the easiest switch ups is breaching a wall and immediately peeking an adjacent window or door while they focus on the hole you made

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Ash makes picking apart poorly prep'd teams a breeze.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Danknificent posted:

Thanks for the replies on Ash's thing. I guess I felt like most of that could be accomplished with frags, but I definitely hear you.

Frags don't breach walls like her gadget does and they aren't nearly as accurate. Her gadget can be used from much safer distances, plus you get 3 breaches. Ash can really quickly open up a lot of sightlines and make things a lot more challenging for defenders, plus you can shame kill people by shooting them with the gadget while they're DBNO.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I would like to know what these impact grenades that do less damage to humans but blow open much bigger holes in walls are made of and how they work.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tumble posted:

I would like to know what these impact grenades that do less damage to humans but blow open much bigger holes in walls are made of and how they work.

I'm not sure that they actually do. I think it's just that impacts blow up very close to the wall while frags usually bounce off and blow up some distance away.

And the reason why impacts do less damage is because they're just an explosive and not a fragmentation grenade..

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 10, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

probably the most significant thing about ash's ability is that it is laser accurate

iirc there is no drop on the projectile it just goes in a straight line forever on the crosshairs unlike Zofia's actual grenade launcher that ploops in an arc.

e: if i was ubi i would give zofia's launcher to ash with only the HE grenades as a kapkan style rework then actually brainstorm a way to make zofia more interesting even if that means focusing on her unsticky grzmot

Thief fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 10, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

People use breaches instead of flashes on Ash?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Breach meta is dead.

IQ tells Thatcher where the most concentrated area of devices are.

Capitao and Ying coordinate to cover the entire objective in smoke, fire and flashes then blanket everything in glorious LMG fire as Monte waltzes casually on site to complete the obj.

after 2 rounds of this you spin an alpha pack and wonder what happens if the % ever goes above 35

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Thief posted:

e: if i was ubi i would give zofia's launcher to ash with only the HE grenades as a kapkan style rework then actually brainstorm a way to make zofia more interesting even if that means focusing on her unsticky grzmot

I think Zofia doesn't need her 2 HE rounds. Give her exactly one which she can use to pop a hole in the unreinforced section between a high wall and the ceiling, and let her fire her concussion rounds in there into objective. Maybe toy with that hook for her (indirect bombardment with concussives) and see if we can make her HE round more interesting that way. A tiny hole into reinforced walls with a HEAT shot, like hibana's charges but just for a tiny murderhole? Something to that effect.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

People use breaches instead of flashes on Ash?

On certain maps I'll pick breaches over concussion. Chalet's garage and kitchen objs come to mind.

tjones fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 10, 2018

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Flashes are useless and are liable to blind your teammates or yourself. Meanwhile breaches makes big rear end holes 3 whole times, and you should take them on everyone that can, including IQ.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

With 3 Breaches you can open up ALL the floors and get to shoot everyone below you like fish in a barrel.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Thief posted:

after 2 rounds of this you spin an alpha pack and wonder what happens if the % ever goes above 35

It goes to 68% and then you still don’t get a loving pack

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the best choice is always situational but i generally find myself prioritizing frag > smoke/claymores if available. frags can function just like ranged breaches that don't get your toes shot off. flashes are fine if you are communicating with your team but they are certainly the hardest option to use effectively especially if you que solo

and nitro owns on defense but sometimes i take a shield or barbed wire because they are a lot more versatile than they seem at first even if you're just using them as a cheap explosives tax. roaming impact grenades own though. also last moment impacts to breach your own defense and surprise attackers is great.

it really doesn't even matter what you pick so long as you use them to your advantage. all it takes is someone like mira, hibana or sledge to significantly alter the landscape in a way that favors those who like to improvise

Deltasquid posted:

I think Zofia doesn't need her 2 HE rounds. Give her exactly one

she shouldn't have ANY at all imo. it is the single most rushed and half-assed ability in the entire game. they should have done something weird with the revive stuff or even given her a minor increased melee range so that she has the advantage over others in the first hit since stands there with a duckface kung fu pose whenever someone picks her.

as it is the launcher is pretty blatantly OP even if just used for suppression.

giving ash a trajectory to calculate but making her grenades explode on impact would be just as good as when kapkans tripmines were reduced damage but had their lasers removed. in a way its a nerf but it adds to the character in a way that makes playing them more interesting. the slight dig-delay on the current one has saved many defender lives

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thief posted:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Like anything it's situational, there are some maps with objectives that are balanced with not many breachable walls or ceilings/floors

When a flash has gone off, even if they turn away, they won't be able to hear footsteps or gadget sound cues. You just gotta be good with them

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

gently caress randoms in casual.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

maybe i haven't sunk enough time into her but at first glance Zofia's primary weapons are loving amazing and the launcher is straight up overkill which only encourages reckless spamming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JVHZP7f-M

i'd probably play her a lot more if i hadn't already spent a dozen hours spamming walls with fuze/capitao's LMGs. the extra 50 bullets or whatever is pretty great

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Danknificent posted:

Getting rid of mutes and batteries on chalet snowmobile garage through the drone hole.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Thief posted:

giving ash a trajectory to calculate but making her grenades explode on impact would be just as good as when kapkans tripmines were reduced damage but had their lasers removed. in a way its a nerf but it adds to the character in a way that makes playing them more interesting. the slight dig-delay on the current one has saved many defender lives

I actually prefer the dig delay on Ash's launcher cause it means I get a while after shooting to switch to my main gun. With Zofia I always feel so exposed when I blast a wall, cause if I don't kill whatever's behind it, I'm stuck holding my gadget and not my gun, most likely meaning I'm dead.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

That is some losing streak.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I need advice that isn't just "get gud". I've never been amazing at FPS games, but I've been above average. I really, really, really love Rainbow Six, it's an amazing game. But I keep losing steam and all motivation to play it, because I prefer Ranked (as I feel it's the best way to improve / go up against players of my own skill level, Casual is such a coin toss on how tough your opponents will be).

However, Ranked really fucks me over. It's as if there isn't a skill bracket for my level. When I'm in high Silver, I dominate, it's no competition, I top the scoreboard. Then I get the inevitable rank up to low Gold, and it's the complete opposite. There's no middle ground. I'm either 100% wrecking (which in itself isn't really fun, as my opponents don't use sound and have poor reflexes, so there's no challenge), or I'm getting wrecked (which is no fun because who wants to die all the time). In low Gold, I play it safe, but it just boils down to my reflexes / reaction times not being as good as the person I come up against. I'll see them, fire, but my aim isn't great, and they'll just flick and headshot me.

I'm in a perpetual state of non-stop winning games, ranking up, and then non-stop losing until I derank back to high Silver. I usually binge on the game when I'm high Silver, but when I'm in Gold, it's just such a slog and I end up giving up and not touching the game again. I really want to play right now, but the thought of going through 5 games of just being dominated is a huge turn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Q8ee posted:

I need advice that isn't just "get gud". I've never been amazing at FPS games, but I've been above average. I really, really, really love Rainbow Six, it's an amazing game. But I keep losing steam and all motivation to play it, because I prefer Ranked (as I feel it's the best way to improve / go up against players of my own skill level, Casual is such a coin toss on how tough your opponents will be).

However, Ranked really fucks me over. It's as if there isn't a skill bracket for my level. When I'm in high Silver, I dominate, it's no competition, I top the scoreboard. Then I get the inevitable rank up to low Gold, and it's the complete opposite. There's no middle ground. I'm either 100% wrecking (which in itself isn't really fun, as my opponents don't use sound and have poor reflexes, so there's no challenge), or I'm getting wrecked (which is no fun because who wants to die all the time). In low Gold, I play it safe, but it just boils down to my reflexes / reaction times not being as good as the person I come up against. I'll see them, fire, but my aim isn't great, and they'll just flick and headshot me.

I'm in a perpetual state of non-stop winning games, ranking up, and then non-stop losing until I derank back to high Silver. I usually binge on the game when I'm high Silver, but when I'm in Gold, it's just such a slog and I end up giving up and not touching the game again. I really want to play right now, but the thought of going through 5 games of just being dominated is a huge turn off.

How long have you been playing? Do you usually play solo?