Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Wow, I was still trying to figure out how that dude "rolled" a 7 series but it makes perfect sense now that I've seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, apologies in advance as this no doubt gets asked a lot, but would anyone mind letting me know what dash cams are recommended, to buy? I've never had one before, but I've been thinking "boy I should really get a dash cam in the next week or so" for around 4-5 years now... :v: So, as I've put it off long enough for my sister to get hit by another car (destroying my car, as she was driving it that evening) I thought I'd better finally get one, to go with my new/replacement car.

I'm mostly looking for something that's good quality, but hopefully not super-expensive. I'm tech-savvy so I don't mind if it requires some setup beforehand, either. (Although obviously I'd appreciate it if it wasn't overly time-consuming/a pain in the neck to do)
I also live in Australia, so I'm not sure if that'll impact what brands I have available to me, either. (Adelaide too, for any AusGoons in here. There are a lot of clueless drivers around here, so I regret not getting a dash cam sooner, to capture footage of the idiocy I've witnessed)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

I don't have any personal recommendations since I just got my A119S in the mail today, but that seems to be the middle ground best bang for your buck consensus.
There are also other reviews available.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Etrips posted:

I don't have any personal recommendations since I just got my A119S in the mail today, but that seems to be the middle ground best bang for your buck consensus.
There are also other reviews available.

Ah nice, I read the reviews and article on it and the A119S looks good - might need to get it. Although I was curious about the fact that the V2 version's lens apparently provides a narrower field of view; is this noticeable, or nothing to worry about? (Also, how useful is the GPS component of the A119S? I'm a little dubious of whether it's worth the added cost, but well, I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to dash cams, so you all might be in favour of having that additional feature)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't put GPS on your dashcam.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

This.
Also I'd say leave the audio off, but if you're australian, leave it on. Aussie dash cams are the best because of the curseing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the input, guys - that's what I suspected. I'll have to get the cheaper non-GPS version, so that's a win-win, as far as I'm concerned.

nm posted:

Also I'd say leave the audio off, but if you're australian, leave it on. Aussie dash cams are the best because of the curseing.

Hah, you're not wrong on the swearing count! Just be prepared to hear a lot of '80s rock playing as well, if I ever post a vid :D

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

Also I'd say leave the audio off

Can I ask why? I keep it on with mine, and my claims rep said the fact she could hear me laying on the horn and hitting the brakes definitely helped sway the decision to make it 100% the other person's fault.

I definitely get the GPS part, but I've kept audio on.

(mine's only been used for insurance and :laffo: purposes so far though, never a legal battle..)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Can I ask why? I keep it on with mine, and my claims rep said the fact she could hear me laying on the horn and hitting the brakes definitely helped sway the decision to make it 100% the other person's fault.

I definitely get the GPS part, but I've kept audio on.

(mine's only been used for insurance and :laffo: purposes so far though, never a legal battle..)
Probably depends on the person, but i talk so much poo poo it probably would get me in trouble.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, yeah, there is that. :v: I do talk a lot of poo poo while driving (mostly "WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING TWENTY loving FIVE IN A loving FORTY?! MOVE YOUR rear end OUTTA THE LEFT LANE DIPSHIT!" or "OH THANKS SO loving MUCH FOR PULLING RIGHT OUT INTO A 50 MPH ROAD DOING 10, FUCKFACE"). I keep it on more so I can prove I laid on the horn/hit the brakes hard enough to make tire noises/etc if evasive action doesn't save my rear end.

Not that it's hard to edit out the audio, but if I do that I'd be keeping an original copy somewhere. Luckily the speaker built into the dashcam I have isn't very loud, so uh, replaying on the side of the road for a LEO would make it difficult for the LEO to make out much audio.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nm posted:

Probably depends on the person, but i talk so much poo poo it probably would get me in trouble.

I bought a dashcam to record my final moments, so I think I'd like it to record my last words, too.

Augustus Caesar, first Roman emperor:
"I found Rome of clay; I leave it to you of marble."

Leonardo da Vinci, inventor and painter:
"I have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have."

Ludwig van Beethoven, composer and pianist:
"Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est" (Applaud, friends, the comedy is finished)

Spog, moron and shitposter:
"Jesus, titty-loving Christ!"

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

nm posted:

I talk to myself while I'm driving, could I be ruled as insane if a lawyer ever had to review the footage? lol

I used a dashcam clip to dispute a claim and was told the same thing, the audio of me laying on the horn showed I was paying attention well before the accident as well as yelling something like "you stupid loving idiot" and slamming on the brakes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chrisgt posted:

I talk to myself while I'm driving

Wait, this isn't normal? :confused:

If something ever happens that requires a subpoena, I feel bad for whoever has to sit through listening to my horrible singing when I'm really jamming out. My current dashcam (Anker Revo series) seems to have a drat good mic that can tolerate very high volumes, and my hearing is hosed enough that the stereo is either cranked far, far past 11, or silent.

The mic on my old cam was enough to pick up how much I was laying into the throttle; the current cam has a much better mic. The claims adjuster mentioned the following:

"You crossed the dividing line for a moment, but were back across well before he hit you" (2 lanes turned, very wide turning lane markers in that city)
"We could hear your turn signal, and could also see it in the reflection of the car in front of you, on top of the obvious 'turning lane only' signs; you obviously signaled properly"
"You tried to evade the accident, on top of laying on the horn and hitting the brakes"
"It didn't sound like you were driving aggressively"

The only thing my own claims adjuster bitched about is the cam didn't keep running after I got out of the car.... more because the dude lied through his teeth about everything that happened, even though he knew I had a cam (and even showed the responding cop the cam footage, and said cop ripped him about 50 new assholes). She really wanted to hear what he said, more because he made some outlandish claims (said I ran a red light, claimed severe neck/back injuries, said I hit him doing at least 60 mph, etc). Unfortunately, the camera turned off 30 seconds after I parked. The claims adjuster from his insurance settled the claim within a couple of days, though apparently (probably just stalling) Geico blocks their claims adjusters from watching stuff on Youtube, so I had to toss it up on Dropbox.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Lots of work places block youtube tbf.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
e: didn't upload properly, will put it back when I get home

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 8, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Also, to continue on from this conversation, what does the non-GPS mount that comes with the A119S V2 look like? I can't seem to find anything on it, online. Like, is it effectively the same as the GPS mount for it, in the sense that it is attached to the windscreen with an adhesive strip (but doesn't have the power supply going to the mount, or the pins in the mount for the GPS) or is it a different type of mount/housing? Thanks

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Major Isoor posted:

Also, to continue on from this conversation, what does the non-GPS mount that comes with the A119S V2 look like? I can't seem to find anything on it, online. Like, is it effectively the same as the GPS mount for it, in the sense that it is attached to the windscreen with an adhesive strip (but doesn't have the power supply going to the mount, or the pins in the mount for the GPS) or is it a different type of mount/housing? Thanks

It's just a smaller mount that goes into the same slot.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Etrips posted:

It's just a smaller mount that goes into the same slot.

Excellent! Thanks for that - very good to know. I think I'll have to get it, soon; I've looked around online and the A119S does indeed appear to be the best option for me, all-round.
(It's just a pity that I'll probably need to buy it online, as it doesn't seem like any stores around here have it in stock...)

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2egoqPHlOBI

I caught an accident, sort of.

You can see the silver vehicle blow the red light coming from the right (look for the light to change to spot him). Speed limit on that road is 40, so he's probably doing just above that. In the intersection an SUV was waiting to take a left, and assumed oncoming traffic had stopped for the red, wrongly. Silver car had airbag deploy but the driver was out and about right away. As I drove off I called 911 to let them know what happened.

I've edited the audio to remove a personal (and uninteresting) conversation I was having with my wife at the time. I included the impact audio. This was in my wife's car, which has the A118C.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

nm posted:

Yeah, on one hand there's a going to be a swearing aussie on my dashcam footage (funny for you but embarrassing for me), plus maybe engine noise may help prove an argument of aggressive driving/revving or what ever.
On the other hand I'm hardly ever listening to music singing along in lala land or talking on phone or to passengers etc so supplied with audio I would mostly seem innocent and it would be hard to make a case against me not paying attention.
The mic on the old g1w picks up next to nothing anyway, But if you're the type of driver to be "listening to music singing along in lala land or talking on phone or to passengers" and have a dashcam with a good mic I'd turn it off.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, and by the way - this is no doubt a stupid/"dashcam 101" question, but how would you all recommend mounting an A119S, and positioning the power cable? Since I remember reading on that dashcamtalk site someone linked to, that mounting the cam up behind the rear-view mirror is the best spot - which I agree with, in terms of visibility, etc. Although that'll result in the cable dangling down the middle, in your peripheral vision. So, do you all do it this way, or do you find that another solution (like mounting it low on the windscreen, in the middle) works best, for you?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 10, 2018

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, and by the way - this is no doubt a stupid/"dashcam 101" question, but how would you all recommend mounting an A119S, and positioning the power cable? Since I remember reading on that dashcamtalk site someone linked to, that mounting the cam up behind the rear-view mirror is the best spot - which I agree with, in terms of visibility, etc. Although that'll result in the cable dangling down the middle, in your peripheral vision. So, do you all do it this way, or do you find that another solution (like mounting it low on the windscreen, in the middle) works best, for you?

The cable should be long enough for you to run it on the edge of the windshield/just behind the plastic upholstery if it can peel. There should be little clips with sticky tape that you tape onto surfaces and you can clip the cable onto that.

I run mine from the middle to the right, down the edge, under the glove compartment and have it plug into the center console as I'm too lazy to hardwire it into the circuit panel on the drivers side.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

The cable should be long enough for you to run it on the edge of the windshield/just behind the plastic upholstery if it can peel. There should be little clips with sticky tape that you tape onto surfaces and you can clip the cable onto that.

I run mine from the middle to the right, down the edge, under the glove compartment and have it plug into the center console as I'm too lazy to hardwire it into the circuit panel on the drivers side.

Ah excellent, I didn't know they were that long - that's good to know, thanks!

Oh also, I know I'm pummeling you all with questions here, but what micro SD cards do you recommend using? I ask since I've just remembered reading that SanDisk Ultra (and one other brand, I think?) cards weren't recommended for use with the dashcam, for one reason or another. (Plus apparently some cards' warranties are voided if you use it in a dash cam, and they die prematurely) Is a Transcend, or perhaps a Kingston card a good way to go, or?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Speaking of GPS on the A119. I have a A118 and was considering an upgrade. Is it possible to have the coordinates show up but not the current speed? I feel like that'd help with putting me at a location during a crash but not introduce the "you were going 2 over the limit" bullshit that may come from an insurance claim.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

8ender posted:

Speaking of GPS on the A119. I have a A118 and was considering an upgrade. Is it possible to have the coordinates show up but not the current speed? I feel like that'd help with putting me at a location during a crash but not introduce the "you were going 2 over the limit" bullshit that may come from an insurance claim.

Lawyers in this thread are on record as saying that that is still a bad idea.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Still picking bits of my seat cushion out of my rear end. Looking at the video, it looks like someone knocked down the yield sign that the F-150 would normally have, but we missed by a oval office hair. And of course my dumbass was on the phone (bluetooth at least). Pissed that I didn't see him earlier, but OTOH, if I'd hit the brakes, we probably would have hit (and I definitely would have been tagged by the jackass riding my bumper).

Major Isoor posted:

Oh also, I know I'm pummeling you all with questions here, but what micro SD cards do you recommend using? I ask since I've just remembered reading that SanDisk Ultra (and one other brand, I think?) cards weren't recommended for use with the dashcam, for one reason or another. (Plus apparently some cards' warranties are voided if you use it in a dash cam, and they die prematurely) Is a Transcend, or perhaps a Kingston card a good way to go, or?

Anker recommends a "high endurance" card (which still has the warranty void if used in a dashcam, but at least they'll hold up longer).

FWIW, I used a Transcend class 4 32GB in my old dashcam for a couple of years with no issue. The Anker dashcam I have now refused to use that card - popped up an error stating it requires class 6 or faster. Currently have a Sandisk Ultra Plus 32GB in the Anker, and it's been corrupted a couple of times now, so their recommendation for a high endurance card seems to be a good idea. I was caught off guard by it popping up the class 6 or faster message, and it was late at night, so I was limited to what I could get at Walmart.

My old cam also wouldn't really work with anything faster than a class 4 card, for some reason (common issue on the G1W). I would assume the newer cams have moved on from that chipset.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 10, 2018

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Major Isoor posted:

Ah excellent, I didn't know they were that long - that's good to know, thanks!

Basically Dashcams are reading, writing, and erasing a lot. I haven't personally used these sd cards yet, but I thought it gave a good overview to at least help decide what to pick.
SD Card dashcams

Get an MLC type sd Card

Class 10 is really all you need, extra speed like Class 3 or UHS doesn't matter unless you taking 4k video.

32Gb is the sweet spot (3-4 hours), but I prefer 64 Gb as I can sometimes drive up to 8 hours in one day before I get home to take an sd card out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Platystemon posted:

Lawyers in this thread are on record as saying that that is still a bad idea.

Is it because the speed might be able to be deduced from the coordinates in the video?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

8ender posted:

Is it because the speed might be able to be deduced from the coordinates in the video?

Yes, and apparently U.S. courts find that to be easy and trustworthy, unlike deducing speed from mile markers or intersections or whatever.

I open the can of worms with this post.

The discussion concludes on the next page.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Still picking bits of my seat cushion out of my rear end. Looking at the video, it looks like someone knocked down the yield sign that the F-150 would normally have, but we missed by a oval office hair. And of course my dumbass was on the phone (bluetooth at least). Pissed that I didn't see him earlier, but OTOH, if I'd hit the brakes, we probably would have hit (and I definitely would have been tagged by the jackass riding my bumper).

While I generally don't understand people who honk instead of avoiding the danger, you did both and at the same time. This time the honk was needed. Nicely done!
Speaking of phones, I never get people who are prioritizing the talking on the phone bit over driving. I always do the opposite. I'd rather ask what was said than crash into people. Same goes for talking with passengers. I always tell people to just be quiet for a second if something comes up that I need to concentrate on (like sudden queues on the motorway).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Certainly not the best avoidance; had I noticed him flying around that curve sooner (and that dude was seriously flying for a u-turn), I would have been on the brakes... but again, hitting the brakes probably would have made for a worse outcome in this case - either I would have been t-boned, or I would have t-boned them. Also, there used to be a yield sign for the u-turn lane, I'm not sure what happened to it.

I do spend a lot of time on the phone, but that's why I have bluetooth in the car (at the beginning of the clip, you hear my GF chuckling over the KACHUNK my suspension made over a pothole), and I do find myself frequently having to ask the other person to repeat themselves (partly because my hearing just sucks, partly because I'm distracted from the conversation by someone drifting into my lane, or blowing a stop sign, etc). I do the same thing with hushing people if I need to concentrate (passengers or phone conversation).

The F-150 that almost got me still went full speed through the turn, btw - I don't think they even touched the brakes before/after I went by. Watched them in my mirror, they almost hit the concrete barrier that I had to swerve toward. Between it being Friday, almost 11pm, and near a ton of bars, gonna guess they were already pretty lit.

e: rewatched it. Yield sign for them is still there, this cam just doesn't pick it up very well in the dark. You can barely see the reflection of the pole it's on.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 11, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I need to get my camera hooked back up. It wouldn't have captured my almost-getting-Tboned last night when I went up the curb to avoid the idiot, but still. A "good" wake-up call.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I should really get my rear dashcam hooked up. It came with my mini0906, I just haven't had the energy to drop all the trim in an SUV to run the wire. I still have the issue of a tinted back window that rolls down, too... I can't stick it to the window, and if I stick it to the headliner it'll get ripped off when I camp in the thing. Or use it to haul firewood, or lumber, or whatever else....

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Hello everyone. A year ago I was asking this thread about motorcycle specific "registrator" or dashcam.

Ended up settling on Sena 10C simply because there isn't much out there. But it is an excellent travel companion, tough and rugged. I've had an accident where camera actually hit the pavement. It broke the bracket and casing, but the little bastard still recording.

Photos and video review here https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/sena-10c-bluetooth-communicator-and-video

I can post my own if anyone is interested.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Thanks for the info, I may look into something like this for my dad. :):hf::)

Platystemon posted:

Yes, and apparently U.S. courts find that to be easy and trustworthy, unlike deducing speed from mile markers or intersections or whatever.

I open the can of worms with this post.

The discussion concludes on the next page.

In most cases the burden of proof is on the prosecution, so you don't have to prove you WEREN'T speeding, they have to prove you were. Unless there's a big 72 at the bottom of your own dashcam evidence, then it becomes your problem to convince judge/jury/insurance that you really were going the speed limit of 70 and dashcam GPS is easily +/- 5mph at best. Basically from a legal standpoint it can never help you, only hurt you.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 12, 2018

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nm posted:

As your lawyer, I have to tell you talking poo poo is a bad idea :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, by the way, I forgot to ask earlier. Is it recommended to use a polarized lens cover for the A119S v2? Since after looking around for different deals on the A119S I saw that these covers/filters were also being listed and I remember reading previously now, that glare can sometimes be a bit of an issue with it. And well, it's often pretty sunny down here (especially this time of year. Plus in the morning I drive east and in the afternoon I drive west, so I've got the sun in my eyes both ways :v:) so would it be recommended? Or just not worth the money, as it's still easy to make out plates, etc?

Thanks again, and apologies about the hundred questions I've been asking!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Caught someone clipping a cyclist during the blue hour a couple of weeks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3YDYQTt-Q
Dude was okay, or at least ambulatory and coherent. The car just clipped his pedal.

Mostly been using the dashcam to timelapse driving videos though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4sRlUjM5E

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 19, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Dude was okay, or at least ambulatory and coherent. The car just clipped his pedal.

Was honestly surprised the dude stopped and ran back. Probably not a great commentary on our society these days, or at least my perception of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3YDYQTt-Q

Not to victim blame too much, but that guy was practically invisible.