Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Garrand posted:

I guess I'm just live posting my experiences now. Anyway

(The answer they are looking for is 256)

The problem with this is that the question is not the same as what the response suggests. The question asks 'What is the highest decimal value for a single byte?' Well, the highest 'value' is 255.
Then the response says that there are '256 possible values', which is a totally different point. And those values reach from 0 to 255, still making 255 the correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Ugh my dumb A+ is about to expire in 4 months and I feel obligated to keep it for some stupid reason (probably because I spent $700 on it). Guessing my best bet is to just take Network+? That is just one exam, right?
Other option is Security+. Not sure which is better to have a on a resume today, or if I should maybe even consider getting both. I've been slacking on my certificates.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Peanut Butler posted:

Apologies if this has been retread over and over through years of this thread (or even in the last few pages, haha), but I'm 35, haven't worked in IT since 2002 (as a bottom-rung housecall support tech), and I'm getting sick of the no-future retail/service work I put myself through during the day while doing hobby-level and odd-job computer touching/repair/refurbs at night

Will a company or public-sector org even consider hiring someone new to the industry who is ~10 years older than other entry-level schmucks?
again sorry if this is the billionth retread of this question; compthanks in compadvance

The key thing, in my experience, is that your certs precede you. If you can defend your certs during interview (like you know your poo poo) then nobody's going to bat an eye that your work record doesn't quite line up. If you've been doing any computer-related stuff in your previous jobs it's very easy to write the description in a way that highlights those things. It's very easy to talk about those things in an interview in a way that lines up with whatever you're applying for. Even if you haven't it's really enough that you can explain what certs you've gotten and why you've gotten them.

In fact, not being a test-dumped cert robot and having experience in other areas is probably a big plus because it shows you can communicate with humans. You think these things are a liability, but they're really not. Go get the certs, learn the material, and you'll probably be just fine. You think you're new to the industry because you've been away for a while, but there's no reason to view it like that. You already know the basic stuff. If you can add some specialized skills on top of that(and can describe them well during interviews) then you're in a pretty good position.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 8, 2018

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Alpha Mayo posted:

Ugh my dumb A+ is about to expire in 4 months and I feel obligated to keep it for some stupid reason (probably because I spent $700 on it). Guessing my best bet is to just take Network+? That is just one exam, right?
Other option is Security+. Not sure which is better to have a on a resume today, or if I should maybe even consider getting both. I've been slacking on my certificates.

I passed the Security+ yesterday and was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in the total lack of any mention of War Driving, War Chalking, Vishing, Smishing, War Ballooning, or any other stupid terminology. The best I got was bluesnarfing. I passed the Network+ last month and that one required much more application as opposed to rote memorization - subnetting, switch configuration, all that was on it.

Looking at jobs the past couple months I've seen a lot more requiring or requesting Security+ than Network+, probably because any interface with the DoD requires it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Oyster posted:

I passed the Security+ yesterday and was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in the total lack of any mention of War Driving, War Chalking, Vishing, Smishing, War Ballooning, or any other stupid terminology. The best I got was bluesnarfing. I passed the Network+ last month and that one required much more application as opposed to rote memorization - subnetting, switch configuration, all that was on it.

Looking at jobs the past couple months I've seen a lot more requiring or requesting Security+ than Network+, probably because any interface with the DoD requires it.

The whole industry is moving towards a security focus. I've seen so many network engineer roles that are now classified as "network security engineer". Companies want their network guys to config the firewalls too, and everybody is pouring money into cybersecurity, so they want network guys to have security certs over network certs.

I tell recruiters I have a CCNA Route and Switch and they don't care, i tell them I have CCNA Security and Security+ and they want to throw me at all sorts of roles.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Defenestrategy posted:

Whats a cysa+ supposed to be about?

In addition to the Cysa+ can you also get the Blyat+?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Oyster posted:

Bluesnarfing. :xd:
Edit: I'm honestly glad to hear the Sec+ got better, maybe mine will be more valuable now.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
I've gotten three certs in the past three months - A+, Network+, and Security+. I've been waffling between Server+ next or the ICND1. First I was leaning towards the ICND1, but looking at CompTIA's security offerings and stackable tracks it really seems like it might actually be worth something. My experience thus far has been that no one cares about the A+, too many people care about the Security+, and I learned the most with the Network+.

Which one seems to have more value? I'm leaning towards CCENT followed by CCNA, but if the CySA+/CASP track is worth as much as it sounds that may change.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Last I checked(and admittedly, it has been a few years), Server+ was garbage even for a CompTIA certification. It is basically worthless.(I also have A+/Net+/Sec+)
However, ICND1 is 1/2 to a CCNA and will teach you more about networking then you ever imagined.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Unless it's required for the job (Sec+) any toss up between a Cisco cert and a CompTIA cert always comes up Cisco.

I think the ICND1 is even cheaper than a CompTIA.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

How difficult are the aws exams? I've been using aws on a large Enterprise for a while but you never know how that will translate

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

vyst posted:

How difficult are the aws exams? I've been using aws on a large Enterprise for a while but you never know how that will translate

Preface: I got my Certified Solutions Architect: Associate cert in late Nov. 2017 and my Certified SysOps Administrator: Associate cert New Year's Eve Day, 2017.

Depends on your definition of "a while." I've been using it for five years, sometimes more stringently than at other positions, and I found the first cert mentioned to be quite easy. It goes over pretty much everything at a fairly high level. EC2 instances, EBS vs. ephemeral storage (Durrrrr), RDS and the types of database engines you can use, VPCs, security groups, Network ACLs, Cloudwatch, ELBs, etc. The second one is definitely the hardest of the three Associate-level certs. If you can't make custom VPCs, explain ideal auto-scaling setups based on different scenarios (cost cutting, failover availability across multiple AZs, etc.), and how to auto-age-out backups from S3 to Glacier while drunk and blindfolded, you won't pass. But it's my understanding that there's about 500 questions and they are randomly assigned out of the 55 or however many it was so your mileage may vary. They also updated the tests literally a day or two after I took my SysOps exam, which were in beta at the time but results would not be known for weeks or months instead of instantly, so I opted not to take those.

I setup a new AWS account, bought some dirt-cheap video tutorials from ACloudGuru via Udemy, followed them while taking fastidious notes and going through what was being demonstrated, not merely watching, and that did the trick. Now I'm doing the same for an RHCSA cert. Once I'm done with that, I might get the Developer Associate, just to have all three, or maybe I'll move on to the Professional-level versions of the two I mentioned, which I understand to be much harder.

If you have any other questions, ask away. I also have an 82-page MS Word document of my notes for the Solutions Architect video training that some people might be interested in...

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Sounds like my employer has caught the same bug everyone else's has and they are keen on me getting the Security+, which is fine by me since they are paying and my A+/Net+ are expiring soon. I feel the same senseless attachment to them as well.

I used the All-in-one books for A+/Net+ years ago and felt they were sufficient for both, is the All-in-one still good enough for the Sec+, or is there some new hotness? For people who have taken it recently, how does the difficulty compare with the Net+?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Diva Cupcake posted:

In case you're interested in what looks to be another grab for CompTIA dollars, the new PenTest+ beta is now available. Although I suppose cheaper marginally less scammy alternatives to CEH should be welcomed.

https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/pentest

Huh, interesting... Just yesterday I found out that I passed the Cloud+ Beta cert I took back in October (:yayclod:), even though the test itself was completely inane and covered absolutely zero of the study material from the official Comptia study book. Fifty bucks is tempting, but I don't think I would do a beta test again, way too much stupid bullshit, I learned basically nothing, and I guarantee the cert is pretty worthless.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 11, 2018

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Sounds like my employer has caught the same bug everyone else's has and they are keen on me getting the Security+, which is fine by me since they are paying and my A+/Net+ are expiring soon. I feel the same senseless attachment to them as well.

I used the All-in-one books for A+/Net+ years ago and felt they were sufficient for both, is the All-in-one still good enough for the Sec+, or is there some new hotness? For people who have taken it recently, how does the difficulty compare with the Net+?

I can't speak for the all-in-one since I didn't even know of it's existence, but I think the Sec+ was mostly inane memorization poo poo. The Net+ had much more application on it, and I learned the most from it. Sec+ was mostly memorizing what is administrative/technical/physical, what recommended specs are, what the incident recovery process is, etc. My practice tests covered smishing/vishing/war chalking/all that, but the closest my actual test came to that was bluesnarfing, which was also covered in my Net+ material. Keep in mind that the 04 will be retired in July, and that's what I took last week, so things might be changing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

I'm working on Sec+ starting tomorrow and everyone says the Gibson book is the one to get. Kindle version is only $10
https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-401/dp/1939136024/

He has additional training material on his site with practice exams and simulations as well.
http://getcertifiedgetahead.com/index.php/security-sy0-401/

You have until July to test for 401, otherwise you'll need to study for 501.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
After a few weather cancellations, I finally was able to take the CCNA exam (again).

Passed it, too!

The Boson practice tests were a big help, as was the 31 Days Before Your CCNA Exam book, so thanks again for the recommendations. Now I just need to get out of helpdesk...

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

CHEF!!! posted:

If you have any other questions, ask away. I also have an 82-page MS Word document of my notes for the Solutions Architect video training that some people might be interested in...

Interested. I'm working through this course right now on Udemy. The 15-20 minute video segments are a struggle with my attention span. I do a lot better on courses with 4-8 minute videos.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CHEF!!! posted:

I would happily take that word document if you want to send it my way... jtwortley at gmail dot com

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
At 82 pages you might as well watch the videos yourself

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I passed the AWS certified solutions architect associate exam a while back using the official study guide and practice tests from A Cloud Academy (I did them all during the free 7 days).

It took about two months to prep and I knew basically nothing about AWS prior to taking it. The book does a pretty good job of introducing most concepts you’d need to know and running you through labs on them. Supplement with white papers on things that don’t quite stick and you’ll be fine.

The exam is very focused on core services so while there are questions on things like opsworks and elastic beanstalk and so on, if you know EC2, S3, EBS, cloudwatch and VPC pretty well you should be able to pass.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 14, 2018

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not sure if this is the right place for this but I'm trying to get my company to pony up for SANS 401 and they are open to the idea but are busting my balls about the price of it. Mostly, they want to know if there's a class of similar quality that is available for cheaper. Do you guys have any recommendations for similar classes? I just need to take something to them shows I did DD about other options, and I am angling to go SEC401 anyways.

It seems like ISC2 CBK is kind of loosely similar in difficulty level at about half the cost, but it seems much more conceptual/managerial and a lot less hands on based on my research. Any advice for online instructor-led security classes that are similar in scope/quality to SANS? This is mostly about the experience of the class and coming away with some useful skills, a cert isn't that important.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

my bitter bi rival posted:

not sure if this is the right place for this but I'm trying to get my company to pony up for SANS 401 and they are open to the idea but are busting my balls about the price of it. Mostly, they want to know if there's a class of similar quality that is available for cheaper. Do you guys have any recommendations for similar classes? I just need to take something to them shows I did DD about other options, and I am angling to go SEC401 anyways.

It seems like ISC2 CBK is kind of loosely similar in difficulty level at about half the cost, but it seems much more conceptual/managerial and a lot less hands on based on my research. Any advice for online instructor-led security classes that are similar in scope/quality to SANS? This is mostly about the experience of the class and coming away with some useful skills, a cert isn't that important.

Sec+ maybe? I'd probably just go with that as they are both DOD 8570 IAT Level 2 certs, but there isn't a direct comparison to other non-SANS courses which is part of the reason popular SANS classes are often waitlisted and cost 6300 these days including cert attempt. Eric Cole, the course author wrote the Security Bible though (on Amazon) which has loose ties to the course.

How new are you to security and in what area? If you've got some time and experience under your belt I'd consider going for a higher level class since work busting your balls about price says to me you're not going to get that many future SANS courses. I can make some recommendations if you want to consider other options there. I've done the certs for GSEC, GMON, GCIH, and GPEN and taken the classes for GCFE and GYPC (studying).

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 21, 2018

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
So I think I'm going to go for the MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure but I'm undecided on the best way to go for it so I'm looking for suggestions. Basically I'm torn between which MCSA to get as a prerequisite, Windows Server 2016 or Cloud Platform. I'm more interested in the cloud stuff and it's one less test but the server track seems more practical career wise. Do you folks have any thoughts on which MCSA is the better route?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Am I correct in assuming the ICND2 should require a roughly equal amount of preparation as the ICND1? I’m working my way through Pluralsight’s series for the ICND1, which is 39 hours, but out of curiosity I looked at the ICND2 portion and it’s only 12 hours. I’m guessing the ICND1 requires more time to be spent on introductory networking concepts but I still thought it was interesting there was such discrepancy.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Icnd1 is a mile wide. Icnd2 starts getting deeper on those topics. Your study time should be about the same but by the time icnd2 study comes up there's less a video can tell you and more you have to learn from labs.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Taking the final CCNP Collaboration test on Wednesday. I started taking this series of four tests last June, and have been studying for about two years with some breaks (plus hands on all day every day). I can't wait for this pain in the rear end to be over. So much of the material is extremely outdated, but I've learned a lot along the way by looking up the right way to do things vs. the way Cisco decided to focus when they made the exam questions.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RVWinkle posted:

So I think I'm going to go for the MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure but I'm undecided on the best way to go for it so I'm looking for suggestions. Basically I'm torn between which MCSA to get as a prerequisite, Windows Server 2016 or Cloud Platform. I'm more interested in the cloud stuff and it's one less test but the server track seems more practical career wise. Do you folks have any thoughts on which MCSA is the better route?

I think it comes down to what you have experience with and what you want do target more of. I took the 2016 MCSA upgrade just because it was one exam and I've been doing more on-prem Windows Server stuff, and I like that. I want more exposure to Azure but a practice lab just isn't the same.

I did get the MCSE Cloud Platform and Infra cert since that too was one exam. It's basically 75% Windows Server, 25% MS cloud stuff. Maybe more 80/20 depending on what questions are in your exam.

If you have no previous MCSAs in Windows Server, and you're inclined to be an Azure specialist, go for the Cloud Platform MCSA. It seems like it'll expose you to the work of public-facing cloud environments more so than the Server 2016 MCSA does. That focuses on the idea of a hyperconverged Windows stack running in a private or hybrid cloud environment along with standard server infrastructure changes to back it all up.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

passed tshoot today.

finally done with ccnp.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Congrats :hfive:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

From Stanly:

quote:

VMware has informed academies worldwide that they will no longer be able to offer classes through Continuing Education programs as of July 31, 2018. Additionally, VMware is not going to allow academies to teach the official Install, Configure and Manage or Optimize and Scale classes as of July 31, 2018. A new VCA level course that will fulfill the class requirement for VCP certification will be available via an option in our curriculum program. More details will be available later this year.

However, this decision by VMware means that your costs for our classes will go from $185 USD to the following after July 31, 2018: In-State Students: $342.25 USD Out-of-State Students: $918.25 USD

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Someone talk to me about ITIL Foundations cert

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sudo rm -rf posted:

passed tshoot today.

finally done with ccnp.

Goongrats!

I also passed my final CCNP Collaboration exam. I thought there were an even greater number of trick questions on this test than any other I’ve taken.

There was definitely a “choose the two right answers” question where there were three correct choices.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

From Stanly:

loving balls, this is going to really make it suck to keep VCPs current. Does VMware not realize that not everyone is milking company dollars for their required course?!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Diva Cupcake posted:

From Stanly:

Yikes..

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Hey everyone, I’m wrapping up my ICND1 studies in the next couple weeks and prepping for the exam, and at the risk of getting ahead of myself I’m considering my next steps after.

Background: Spent 10 years previously working in healthcare and switched to working a helpdesk position about 6 months ago. Given that I’m getting a late start I’m trying to hit the ground running with building my resume and getting off the helpdesk.

I was thinking about pursuing a Server 2016 MCSA to head toward a more systems admin route, but given my experience level the Server MCSA seems pretty daunting. Would the Windows 10 MCSA be worthwhile as a stepping stone in that direction or would it be too narrowly focused on desktop support?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Depends on your experience using Windows. Have you had to investigate RegKeys, Drivers, etc. in the past? If so, skip towards the MCSA.

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess
Passed my GWAPT from SANS last month and my boss is paying for two more this year. I’m taking the advanced webapp course next. But I still have to decide on the second. It just has to relate to security somehow. I’m thinking of Cyber Threat Intelligence course from SANS as it looks interesting and meets the buzzword quota. Anyone have an idea? Doesn’t have to be from SANS.

I have the sec+, CSA+, OSCP and CISSP.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
General question for those that browse here; how often are you picking up a new cert? once a year? once every couple years? multiple a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Kashuno posted:

General question for those that browse here; how often are you picking up a new cert? once a year? once every couple years? multiple a year?

I went from once every couple of years to once a year. Gonna see if I can do 2 this year.