Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Looks like we're getting a repeat panel from last season with Salman Rushdie (whom I greatly respect and enjoy listening to even when I seldom disagree with him), and Fran Lebowitz (who is just an awful vanity Fair bourgeois liberal who needs to take her own advise to Bernie Sanders: just go away). Once again, torn by the panel.

And yes, I too was highly entertained by the weird Republican law professor.

I did laugh when Bill turned to the New York Times columnist (who I thought was awesome) and said its "easy to pick on Trump" made joke after joke about him. Isn't that what the whole show is about now?

Too bad the guy on the left was cut off while trying to talk about Switzerland's drug policy when Bill himself in the past said that drugs should be legalized and (like Michael Moore) used European countries as examples. Instead, he contradicted himself again, and made it look like it can never work here (like healthcare?) by brushing it off with "well, that's Switzerland...NEW RULES!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Gimmedaroot posted:

Fran Lebowitz (who is just an awful vanity Fair bourgeois liberal who needs to take her own advise to Bernie Sanders: just go away).

This woman is the absolute worst. She boasts about not having a cell phone without any self-awareness at all (in addition to her lovely political views). Her opposition to Bernie was solely because he's a man. lol

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Painter falls off pretty hard for me given the gig that got him on the show outright all these times was being Bush's ethics lawyer---whoever keeps booking Bush folks is playing their hand a bit too cavalier. Schiff was pretty uninteresting at best, as lost to madness as the panel outright whenever Clinton came up on top of having no answer for the Dems inability to ever follow through with anything positive and be uncompromising. Hari guy on the end there was the closest to sane of the whole lot at least on some bits like the idiocy of the Drug War.

OT was...something...with the equivocation of freaking Arpaio and Manning by that Weiss lady(took me a minute to parse who that even was...but the realization definitely achieved nothing positive as I'd been hoping the late guest would help salvage the ep at least somewhat) that Bill had on just to have somebody having his back on the metoo side of it.

Next week should be a tad better, even with Fran, but that's not a hard feat given how miserable the panel has been the past couple.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
The Republicans seem way too confident that they'll succeed in knocking out Mueller/FBI and with all their anxiety it almost seems like something earth-shattering will happen before the mid-terms.

Are they just "playing along" with Trump and their voter base as a smokescreen coordinated with Mueller's team? Why tie the whole party down with Trump's inevitable downfall?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
he should invite scahill and greenwald back on the show. lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What was Maher going on about in New Rules?

Books are still very popular: http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/09/01/book-reading-2016/

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

punk rebel ecks posted:

What was Maher going on about in New Rules?

Books are still very popular: http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/09/01/book-reading-2016/

something something everybody today stares at their phones instead of talking to each other :corsair:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

At least those people are probably reading well-written articles by actual journalists and not circle jerking over likes on instagram.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Former Human posted:

At least those people are probably reading well-written articles by actual journalists and not circle jerking over likes on instagram.

Counterpoint, tabloids.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Former Human posted:

Hhahahahaha, no.

Yellow journalism, pulp fiction books, penny dreadfuls, etc.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Former Human posted:

I'm guessing not.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Hhahahahaha, no.

Yellow journalism, pulp fiction books, penny dreadfuls, etc.

Yes, those things existed! Brilliant observation. Doesn't mean people on trains who were reading newspapers were reading anything you listed.

I don't know how these articles are supposed to compare to people literally eating Tide pods on social media today

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just want to put this out there: if you are dumb enough to eat a Tide Pod, I encourage you to eat as many Tide Pods as possible, and follow them with a bleach chaser just to make sure the job is finished. Why are we looking at this as a bad thing?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Former Human posted:

Yes, those things existed! Brilliant observation. Doesn't mean people on trains who were reading newspapers were reading anything you listed.

I don't know how these articles are supposed to compare to people literally eating Tide pods on social media today

Uh, people once used arsenic and radioactive water as health foods so...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At least people who drank radioactive water did so after being deliberately misled by quacks and advertising. Tide pods are advertised as tide pods.

I guess some day we'll look down on smokers for being so dumb as to breathe fire into their bodies and be shocked that the tobacco companies lied to them about health risks.

That day is 30 years ago.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

doctorfrog posted:

I guess some day we'll look down on smokers for being so dumb as to breathe fire into their bodies and be shocked that the tobacco companies lied to them about health risks.

That day is 30 years ago.

Literally no one ever thought smoking wasn't bad for you on some level. It's self-evident, it makes you cough, makes it more difficult to breathe, and affects the oxygen capacity of your blood. People smoke because it's enjoyable, and once you're physically addicted, not smoking is the opposite of enjoyable as well. Eating Tide Pods does not strike me as enjoyable on any level, so it really can't be compared.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

it's definitely time for candy cigarettes with tide pod filling

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
LOL at people who believe in the "good old days" where people used to indulge nothing but the finest literature. That poo poo was always mostly only for boogie fucks. The average person always indulged trash.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

PT6A posted:

Literally no one ever thought smoking wasn't bad for you on some level. It's self-evident, it makes you cough, makes it more difficult to breathe, and affects the oxygen capacity of your blood. People smoke because it's enjoyable, and once you're physically addicted, not smoking is the opposite of enjoyable as well. Eating Tide Pods does not strike me as enjoyable on any level, so it really can't be compared.

What? No. Doctors used to prescribe smoking, especially for weight loss.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
The last decade is the only period in human history in which people have done things that are well known at the time to be risky/stupid/dangerous. Literally at no other time in human history have people, ESPECIALLY young people done really dumb things.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Slickdrac posted:

The last decade is the only period in human history in which people have done things that are well known at the time to be risky/stupid/dangerous. Literally at no other time in human history have people, ESPECIALLY young people done really dumb things.

Flagpole sitting, Dance Marathons, that game where you just jumped on your friends backs and tried to break each other, Russian Roulette...

People have always been dumb, it's just easier to document these days.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I believe that was the point.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

viral spiral posted:

This woman is the absolute worst. She boasts about not having a cell phone without any self-awareness at all (in addition to her lovely political views). Her opposition to Bernie was solely because he's a man. lol

And this time Fran said she simply hates Bernie. No reason, she just hates him. Ok. Other than that, what was her point on being a guest this time? Just as before, enjoyed Rushdie because he at least had something to say rather than just complaining about things he doesn't like. He also reiterated that older politicians need to step aside, mentioned lots of politicians, but was classy enough not to mention Bernie among them.

I also have a feeling Cornel West is never going on the show again...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
She was there, alongside Maher, to apply a fresh unwarranted knife twisting on Sanders(I mean, it couldn't be that there are many more important issues to deal with...no...) as they merrily play along with ginning up this latest chapter in the desperate Russia Saga narrative for cavalier saber rattling and to put in early/continuous work on trying to disqualify him, and anybody he endorses, which will probably amount conveniently to anybody critical of the Dem Establishment, for especially 2018 and even 2020---though for the latter I'm sure they'll come up with even more by then. Not unlike the idiots unbidden* that immediately worked to lay the Florida shooting directly on his hands.

West will be back as he's too drat good not to, though the ongoing ridiculous excuse of the 2 person panel...which seems primed to yet again be a thing after the show comes back week after next...slows down the (already increasingly terrible) guest rotation churn on top of allowing for a curious happenstance where the unfortunate classic of 2 Idiots + 1 Exasperated Person trying to defuse their bullshit just comes down to solely the 2 Idiots.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I just can't see West coming back. He's pro-Bernie, he criticized Obama, his friend Tavis Smiley has been tossed in with the rest of the #metoo offenders (despite this week's final Rule, it won't influence guests), he's firmly against Israel's policies against Palestinians...the only way Maher has political opponents on his show is if they are Republican morons. Maher will make the excuse of not having West on because he's too far left. However neo-cons like David Frum are perfectly fine since they are teaming up with neo-libs in their mutual hatred of Trump. There's as much chance of having West back as there is bringing back West's friend and fellow progressive professor Richard Wolff.

Lately positions that Maher used to take are being tossed to the side. But we love pot, "ruh-li-jun" is bad, and Trump said something stupid again this week, so that's enough to fill out an hour show every week.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

viral spiral posted:

Like seriously, I don't want to watch assholes like Frum and Rick Wilson spew their bullshit as well without getting called on it.

it's loving tiring. trump is the physical embodiment of the southern strategy he's not some aberration.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gimmedaroot posted:

I just can't see West coming back. He's pro-Bernie, he criticized Obama, his friend Tavis Smiley has been tossed in with the rest of the #metoo offenders (despite this week's final Rule, it won't influence guests), he's firmly against Israel's policies against Palestinians...the only way Maher has political opponents on his show is if they are Republican morons. Maher will make the excuse of not having West on because he's too far left. However neo-cons like David Frum are perfectly fine since they are teaming up with neo-libs in their mutual hatred of Trump. There's as much chance of having West back as there is bringing back West's friend and fellow progressive professor Richard Wolff.

There was the whole thing where Cornel West went loving nuts and attacked Ta-Nehisi Coates, so maybe let's not pretend there aren't some very good reasons he should be excluded.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

PT6A posted:

There was the whole thing where Cornel West went loving nuts and attacked Ta-Nehisi Coates, so maybe let's not pretend there aren't some very good reasons he should be excluded.

holy poo poo.

Please explain vox:

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/12/20/16795746/ta-nehisi-coates-cornel-west-twitter

E: To me, Mr. West is, among other things, the guy who calls everybody brother/sister. To parse a nuanced argument about things that a large, white American male can never truly understand, is something left to my betters. Vox will suffice.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 18, 2018

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
It'd be cool of Cornel West could use fewer than 50 superfluous words per sentence.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Super Deuce posted:

It'd be cool of Cornel West could use fewer than 50 superfluous words per sentence.

he's a great american. we have the ability to talk the legs off of a chair.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

west is mostly right in general but attacking coates in particular was stupid.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I reckon the Coates thing is down to more mounting exasperation leading to Not Good notions on handling their at times vehement disagreements than most other bits. Besides, if the Real Time crew is down on attacking icons, the recent and repeated Donna Brazile jaunts kind of flies in the face of that given they still take every drat chance they can contrive and then some to stomp for Hillary and on Sanders. The last thing West needed was yet another reason to get shunned, rightly or not, considering the apparatus he is arrayed against.

Not entirely dissimilar to how it became known that West had broken with Obama solely over tickets to a big event for some folks to become largely a media pariah as opposed to, you know, the many terrible things/Bush escalating things that Obama proceeded to do that most decided to wink over as West lost his poo poo and folks like Moore became lost to desperate delusions of somehow being able to "coach" him into doing the right thing despite it all.

While West is pretty out there, I do think there's at least of a bit of a concerted hope to wait out the final clock on him here in these most pivotal of times---his infectious optimism tinged with indignation spiced liberation really doesn't jive with the direction this country has been increasingly hurtling towards nor does he have any noted successors to continue to get the message out just so. He is the first person in a long time that they can't wait to either leave in the dust bin of inconvenient history like a Hampton that managed to actually make it to old age or begrudgingly rewrite in post-mortem to be more palatable and pliable like King.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I think his criticism of Coates was pretty even handed and West gave him lots of credit in the piece when he felt he gets things right. Coates just overreacted to it even though he’s had several overextended takes himself

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

PT6A posted:

Holy poo poo are folks still mad about Cornel critiquing a fellow academic on their blindspots?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Oh Snapple! posted:

Holy poo poo are folks still mad about Cornel critiquing a fellow academic on their blindspots?

Huh? No, I was drunk posting and it just seemed out of character for him to feud with anybody.

Maher is a poo poo who makes purposefully inflammatory comments, like the one about how the government doesn’t need to fund the arts to the well spoken lady at the beginning, who’s HBO special I’m now considering watching, since her opinions stated on Real Time were about as easy to agree with as any I’ve seen.

Fox seems like a clown. I saw him make the taco bowl joke on that Comedy Central Colbert spin off, and this seems like more of the same shtick.

Maher’s final thought or whatever the gently caress it’s called after new rules was about what I expected. loving kids and their yaya music/liberals and their outrage.

I’ll keep watching, but the show seems really shark jumpy since last season.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Solvent posted:

I’ll keep watching, but the show seems really shark jumpy since last season.
I get the sense that Trump has made Maher lose his bearings and he just treats the show as combo of him yellin' at clouds and a way to promote his Las Vegas shows.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Well. I mean, that’s probably true. It’s pretty hard for anybody I know (in person) to keep their political bearings in this news environment.

It’s super fun to hear that Bernie was backed by the Russians too, anybody but Clinton and all, but I can’t say I was “frothing at the mouth” about her. My real problem with her is the racist dog whistle ads from the 2008 primary, in which I voted for her (who the hell is Barack Obama?) in the early California primary, before I had heard about them. Made her seem to me like the accusations of her being a principle less political tool had some grounding in reality.

Maher said something that I’ve been saying for months now too, that Trump is a traitor, though he left out the part where I say that him and his whole treasonous family should be hanged for said crimes, but hey, at this point I’m just as disturbed by the thought of President Pence (who is clearly just as complicit as anyone else, at best).

Also, am I trippin, or is it that since the election this administration has created a bubble of distance around Pence? As if to say “he had nothing to do with the nothing that certainly didn’t happen with the collusion and all”.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Solvent posted:

Well. I mean, that’s probably true. It’s pretty hard for anybody I know (in person) to keep their political bearings in this news environment.

It’s super fun to hear that Bernie was backed by the Russians too, anybody but Clinton and all, but I can’t say I was “frothing at the mouth” about her. My real problem with her is the racist dog whistle ads from the 2008 primary, in which I voted for her (who the hell is Barack Obama?) in the early California primary, before I had heard about them. Made her seem to me like the accusations of her being a principle less political tool had some grounding in reality.

Maher said something that I’ve been saying for months now too, that Trump is a traitor, though he left out the part where I say that him and his whole treasonous family should be hanged for said crimes, but hey, at this point I’m just as disturbed by the thought of President Pence (who is clearly just as complicit as anyone else, at best).

Also, am I trippin, or is it that since the election this administration has created a bubble of distance around Pence? As if to say “he had nothing to do with the nothing that certainly didn’t happen with the collusion and all”.

A reporter recently called him out about that when the Porter scandal broke. Pence waffled with his usual "I just heard about that this morning," deflection and one of the pool reporters shot back something like "this is the fifth or sixth time that you have found out about major events from the news media: why are you so consistently removed from the center of power and the flow of information?"

They obviously wanted to put Pence in a box and isolate him from the rest of the administration, keeping him in the pocket for a possible impeachment, but unfortunately the gamble has essentially backfired since the investigation has now taken so long that Pence just seems like a dupe who got sidelined.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
All the Parkland kids are great and I hope we are still hearing from them for years into the future instead of people like the Tiger Mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Keyser_Soze posted:

All the Parkland kids are great and I hope we are still hearing from them for years into the future instead of people like the Tiger Mom.

I had no idea Tiger Mom was still relevant today.