Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've only ever caught the show in passing, but the one thing which caught my eye about Sheldon was just how much of an unrepentant, nasty piece of poo poo he was.

Second was that he actually says, "Bazinga." I thought that was a joke made up to mock the show.

The most I can say for the show is that it's generic pabulum people can have going in the background and it doesn't really matter if they miss part of the episode (or even entire episodes) because it's all just so cookie cutter that it doesn't matter.

The accessible pabulum is a medium for spreading a little bit of science, so it's not entirely irredeemable. Just mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weird thought, maybe not related; I'm suddenly picturing Jadzia Dax as Roz from Frasier in space. Who needs extra boobs when you have extra brains?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Interesting, but it's not going to change anything anytime soon as long as the money keeps coming in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Interesting, but it's not going to change anything anytime soon as long as the money keeps coming in.

Oh, I'm aware. This video just so perfectly explains the phenomenon described by that post (says a sexist thing, is called out on it, that becomes the joke) that I had to link it.

E: VVV You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it! :D

WampaLord has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Feb 10, 2018

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

WampaLord posted:

Oh, I'm aware. This video just so perfectly explains the phenomenon described by that post (says a sexist thing, is called out on it, that becomes the joke) that I had to link it.

Yeah, its a much better articulation of what bothers me about the show. I just watched it, and the following one about geek masculinity and this guy is talking my poo poo, thanks for linking the video.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Not Operator posted:

Yeah, its a much better articulation of what bothers me about the show. I just watched it, and the following one about geek masculinity and this guy is talking my poo poo, thanks for linking the video.

If the BBT guys were jocks instead of nerds, would there be a different view?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

Strangely enough, the one "jock" recurring character, Zach, is actually portrayed as way more sympathetic than any of the other characters. He's a stupid goofball, not a bully - it's made clear that the "nerds" have way more serious bullying tendencies.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's been a very sharp turn on the nerd image from being "poor, misunderstood, ostracized fellows" to "racist, misogynist, deranged assholes" in the last few years, so if anything it would actually be better.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Strangely enough, the one "jock" recurring character, Zach, is actually portrayed as way more sympathetic than any of the other characters. He's a stupid goofball, not a bully - it's made clear that the "nerds" have way more serious bullying tendencies.

But he's the classic dumb jock, though.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Maybe. I think the nerdiness of it makes it seem more palatable. The video mentions that by framing sexist jokes as geeky social awkwardness, they make relatively mean spirited things seem harmless, As an example, I think viewers would find it less acceptable if a woman was mean to a jock and he asked her if she was menstruating, as opposed to when Sheldon does it.

I've only seen like eight episodes of the show in total and I'll be honest, I'm shocked I even have opinions about it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And then they released a prequel show based on Sheldon and it's this bizarre period piece without a laugh track or even attempts at jokes except Sheldon has severe autism and is a child going to high school

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The stereotype that the jocks will all get fat and poor after high school and they'll work for the nerds who are all billionaires because they understand computers is probably something else that's aged poorly.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

By the way, what I'm arguing might be totally invalidated by Two and a Half Men, which was super sexist, just as popular, and starred noted non-nerd Charlie Sheen. I don't know if the tv landscape has changed that much between the end of that show and now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Weird thought, maybe not related; I'm suddenly picturing Jadzia Dax as Roz from Frasier in space. Who needs extra boobs when you have extra brains?

So her character in Becker?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Calaveron posted:

That 70s Show is also notorious for all but showing a joint or bong being used and also showing weed as ultimately harmless and leading to good music timed
That 80s Show couldn't do that because the 80's drug was crack and uhhh

No, cocaine was the go-go 80s drug and it's just as chic and fun now as it was back then. Even the reality of it, where you and your friends have been sneaking keybumps of lovely blow in a piss-soaked dive bar is kind of cool in a degenrate taboo sort of way.

Crack was around in the 80s but unlike freebasing it's always been considered a fairly scummy drug.

It's just that cocaine never got the image makeover marijuana did. That 70's Show hit right as people were getting fed up with D.A.R.E/law enforcements message of "all drugs are equally dangerous and evil" so the cheeky sitting-around-getting-stoned aspect was a breath of fresh air.

That 80's Show was never going to be able to do that with cocaine; you can't have young people talking over each other, rubbing their teeth, sniffling, and gagging randomly, and trying to find some valium for the comedown. Although I think today if you made an 80s nostalgia sitcom you could probably get away with showing cocaine use as long as you showed the realistic downsides.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That would be more Requiem For A Dream than That 70s Show though.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Nah cocaine isn't nearly as bad as opiods.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I always find it hilarious how the George Lucas movies have become such a corner stone of nerd stuff, because I couldn't give less of a gently caress about them. I've seen the first 6 Star Wars movies once each, and have no remembrance of much of either trilogy, and have barely seen the Indiana Jones movies. I just don't find them that interesting, despite the quality of cinematography or writing. There are just other movies I prefer to watch.

He's not even the best sci-fi director named George. And yes, I'm counting George Miller's Mad Max series as sci-fi.

Babe: Pig in the City too.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Tumble posted:

Nah cocaine isn't nearly as bad as opiods.

Really, the big problem with cocaine is that you're never as smart as it makes you think you are

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way I'm sorry if I sounded like I was being a bitch about George Lucas. I guess the tone came across less neutral than I had intended - I find it funny due to exclusive nature of things, not in a "Lol people like this thing" kind of way - I appreciate that they are good movies, and don't think people are dumb for liking them it's just the cultural viewpoint that has sprung up that seems to put them on a pedestal more than other classic movies, likely because of the rise of percieved "Nerd Culture".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Calaveron posted:

And then they released a prequel show based on Sheldon and it's this bizarre period piece without a laugh track or even attempts at jokes except Sheldon has severe autism and is a child going to high school

I watched the first episode and said nope.

In TBBT, you hear plenty of stories about Sheldon's youth. That should be enough. It's like one noodle incident after another.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

But he's the classic dumb jock, though.

He's really affable, though. That's what is really weird, are the creators really trying to get us to hate the main cast?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Tumble posted:

... have young people talking over each other, rubbing their teeth, sniffling, and gagging randomly...

Never seen or heard of this side-effect before.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Gaunab posted:

That one is because they are watching Chuck Lorre sitcoms while buzzing. It's unrelated dry-heaving.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Gaunab posted:

Really? You've never had the coke gags? It's definitely a thing.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Calaveron posted:

Some people get really, really mad if you try to say Sheldon is autistic.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Some people get really, really mad if you try to say Sheldon is autistic.

Isn't he one of those sitcom characters the show dances around saying explicitly he's autistic because they don't want the audience to feel like they're laughing at someone's disability while still wanting to make jokes about the disability? Abed from Community had the same thing but he was actually funny.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I like the Big Bang Theory, and think it's funny. Penny is the weakest link, and even she has gotten better. The laugh track is a bit much at times, but is not so bad as to ruin the show. Thanks for listening.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I like the Big Bang Theory, and think it's funny. Penny is the weakest link, and even she has gotten better. The laugh track is a bit much at times, but is not so bad as to ruin the show. Thanks for listening.

TV opinions that did not age well

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What are some good jokes or scenes in the show? I really want to see something funny.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

We found him!

Paraphrasing, but I think the guy that posted that boomers with nerdy kids watch it and like it because they think that's what nerds are like. I swear to god though I've seen more of it than I care to because my Mom used to watch it constantly and I'm not exaggerating when I say I can't remember laughing one time.

I honestly can't remember a more popular, less funny sitcom. Maybe 2 and a Half Men. Some sitcoms I have disliked over the years but realize it's usually more a matter of personal taste than lovely writing.

TBBT is just not loving funny and I don't get it at all. Even the loving promos manage to not be funny.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BBT is like nickelback in that apparently no one likes it or watches it but it’s still super mega popular and profitable mysteriously somehow.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

oldpainless posted:

BBT is like nickelback in that apparently no one likes it or watches it but it’s still super mega popular and profitable mysteriously somehow.

Whilst hatewatching it I am obviously exposed to ads and thus help monetize it. It's me, I'm part of the problem. :smith:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The writing can be good despite itself. There is a lot of talent going into something that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

But it’s also a throwback to simpler sitcoms with tired oft repeated storylines and no character arc whatsoever. I have no idea of what demographics watch BBT, but I’m going to guess it skews older. Younglings watch Riverdale.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Despite all the jokes about it I always found Everybody Loves Raymond to be OK - it had some kinda sweet moments, like when Raymond calls out his parents on never giving Robert any praise for what he does, him being a cop, despite it being really dangerous and brave of him to be doing so, and they admit that the reason that they do that it because they know how dangerous it is - they have to face every day knowing that their son may not come home that day, and it terrifies them so they focus of Raymond's relatively safe career as a sports writer so that they don't have to think about it. It's a selfish reasoning, but an understandable one, even though it's emotionally draining for Robert.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

BiggerBoat posted:

I honestly can't remember a more popular, less funny sitcom. Maybe 2 and a Half Men. Some sitcoms I have disliked over the years but realize it's usually more a matter of personal taste than lovely writing.

Was Rules of Engagement popular? Because that is the worst loving show I have ever seen. It's just 'straight people hate each other' for 22 minutes, unrelentingly, and I could never figure out the appeal.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

food court bailiff posted:

i bet the love life of this guy who came into the old tv thread to bitch about valentines day is really good & healthy lmfao

It's just the holiday that's on display atm. Candy, cards, flowers:all fine. 12 inch statues of Mickey Mouse with hearts and giant heart pillows and eight different kinds of licensed character valentines stuffed animals (that aren't even soft): bleh. Where do people go with this stuff? I think most of it gets thrown away. It will be the same for St. Patrick's day or whatever's next.

I watched Planet of the Apes today and Charleston Heston was smoking on a space ship. Also, the girl on the spaceship was there to be constantly pregnant the rest of her life.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Was Rules of Engagement popular? Because that is the worst loving show I have ever seen. It's just 'straight people hate each other' for 22 minutes, unrelentingly, and I could never figure out the appeal.

Was that the show that had a character's sub-plot go of the rails as he realizes that he's in a sitcom?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Tumble posted:

It's just that cocaine never got the image makeover marijuana did. That 70's Show hit right as people were getting fed up with D.A.R.E/law enforcements message of "all drugs are equally dangerous and evil" so the cheeky sitting-around-getting-stoned aspect was a breath of fresh air.

That 80's Show was never going to be able to do that with cocaine; you can't have young people talking over each other, rubbing their teeth, sniffling, and gagging randomly, and trying to find some valium for the comedown. Although I think today if you made an 80s nostalgia sitcom you could probably get away with showing cocaine use as long as you showed the realistic downsides.

The attitudes of the late 90s/early 00s were changing so that you couldn't do another mainstream substance of the 80s, either: Cigarettes.

Heavy smoking of regular tobacco products was probably completely on the way out by the time That 80s Show hit the air, but the 80s seemed to also be that last gasp (no pun intended) of tobacco industry still being able to get product placements, advertisements, being dirt cheap, socially acceptable, etc. Being able to smoke in almost every single place, including your job, in fast food places, in bars. Granted, that ran into the 90s for a while, too, but even by the 90s the momentum on the anti-tobacco movement was picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's kind of weird watching older stuff and seeing characters smoking. I was born in '91, so I can kind of remember this point where it was going out the window, but it was also visual shorthand for someone being a badass. Like Wolverine, Spike Spiegel, John McClane, the Cigarette Smoking Man, etc.

In older TV shows, seeing someone smoke was normal. Like Columbo, Andy Taylor, numerous film noir characters; it's kind of neat seeing how that's changed over the years.