Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
now they just need the game to remember controller setttings instead of defaulting them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
This game desperately needs a kill cam. It's so easy to call BS when you're spinning around in a circle trying to find where in the world you're getting shot from. I need closure.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PabloBOOM posted:

This game desperately needs a kill cam. It's so easy to call BS when you're spinning around in a circle trying to find where in the world you're getting shot from. I need closure.

You can sort of tell the general direction they're in if they miss and there is any sort of incline. Bullets throw up dirt when they hit unpaved ground.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
when they talk about 'easy to learn, hard to master', this game is the epitome. You won't start getting gud enough to reliably figure out where you're being shot from until about the 200-250 hour mark.

Also if you have a non-X and/or a potato TV, you're at a severe disadvantage for seeing muzzle flashes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alternately I've heard non X kind of has an advantage in the sense that the foliage pop in is so bad that it's easier to spot distant enemies.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

veni veni veni posted:

Alternately I've heard non X kind of has an advantage in the sense that the foliage pop in is so bad that it's easier to spot distant enemies.

Yeah I'm on a non X and the 8x scope definitely let's you clearly see to where all the plants aren't rendered.

I can generally piece together the direction I'm getting shot from sound or dirt flying, but actually seeing the person before I die is a crapshoot. If I'm in the open I just now start weaving and sprinting to cover without bothering to spin around to look. Stopping is always the worst plan.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

PabloBOOM posted:

Yeah I'm on a non X and the 8x scope definitely let's you clearly see to where all the plants aren't rendered.

I can generally piece together the direction I'm getting shot from sound or dirt flying, but actually seeing the person before I die is a crapshoot. If I'm in the open I just now start weaving and sprinting to cover without bothering to spin around to look. Stopping is always the worst plan.

That's exactly what you should be doing :discourse:

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
When you see blood, that definitely means you are hitting someone right? There is no lag thing where it only looks like you are hitting someone and they are really fine?
I made a guy look like he was pouring from the Overlook hotel elevators and he was still able to kill me.
I see PUBG videos where people are one shotting people with shotguns and it seems like I need to hit someone at least four times. I really hate shotguns if you can't tell.
Lag also seems really really bad. Worse than I have ever seen it. I rubberbanded around an apartment building and didn't see one thing until I was walking out of the door and then all of a sudden there was debris and items everywhere where there were none before.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Blood splatters are client-side so they aren't always the true report.

Shotguns work in a, uh, novel way - there's one 'king' pellet in the blast, and wherever that pellet lands, that's the kind of damage you do.

So let's say you shoot someone and it appears you shot him in the face. Well, it turns out that 9 of the pellets hit him in the face, but the 10th and king pellet hit him in the arm, so all the pellets did arm damage.

Honestly it sounds like lag issues are your key problem, because the better your frames, the better your ability to kill with shotguns.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Thanks. I got my first top ten for awhile and also got my first and second pan save. Two sniper shots that woulda went into my rear end, deflected. Enough time to get cover from that guy only to be blown away by another guy right after.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.
Got my first solo FPP win! Suppressed M4 and a suppressed Tommy gun too! 5 kills and no one knew where I was. loving glorious.

And this was with irons, never even found an optic. But I did have an angled foregrip, drat they are so much better than vertical.

Woo!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Drav posted:

Suppressed M4

But I did have an angled foregrip, drat they are so much better than vertical.

…on every weapon that isn’t the M4.

http://xboxclips.com/jbirk/5fa2f6ea-391d-4061-9b49-a2215f324e11

In this clip, my dude points an M4 with no grip at a wall and holds down the trigger. Vert grip helps control vertical recoil while angled helps control horizontal recoil. Which one seems more useful for this gun?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

M4 + vertical + tactical stock is pretty much cheating. It gets absurd with a suppressor or compensator.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought UMP was supposed to be better with vertical too? I wish this game had a private/practice mode where you could just drop on to an empty map and test stuff out.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 9, 2018

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Beelzebozo posted:

…on every weapon that isn’t the M4.

http://xboxclips.com/jbirk/5fa2f6ea-391d-4061-9b49-a2215f324e11

In this clip, my dude points an M4 with no grip at a wall and holds down the trigger. Vert grip helps control vertical recoil while angled helps control horizontal recoil. Which one seems more useful for this gun?

Well poo poo

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
A silenced M4 is probably my favorite weapon in the game bar none. I got one last night and killed 7 of the last 15 before getting killed by a duo to come in 2nd. I'd rather get a bunch of kills and come in 2nd or 3rd than win with 2 kills.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Uzi with comp and stock is legit best gun.

Note: R6 Siege player

Jedrick fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 10, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just dropped in and grabbed a machete and a lvl 3 vest, some dude landed next to me and didn't have anything but ran towards me anyways so I started whacking him with the machete. He killed me handily with 2 punches. This is legitimately the poorest quality game I have ever played in my life by a pretty wide margin.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Just dropped in and grabbed a machete and a lvl 3 vest, some dude landed next to me and didn't have anything but ran towards me anyways so I started whacking him with the machete. He killed me handily with 2 punches. This is legitimately the poorest quality game I have ever played in my life by a pretty wide margin.

I bet you immediately started another game, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This time I did not, but I have many times after other random bs lol. I actually turned it off and canceled my gold sub. Game is conceptually interesting but something snapped where the novelty is wearing off and I'm just left with what a truly terrible, incompetent game it is. I've still got 3 weeks left on my sub I'm sure that's more than enough time to get to the point where I never want to look at it again.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Yes! Another solo FPP win!

This time I only had two kills -- the last two guys lol.

With an UMP because that's the only gun I had!

My poor loot prayers were answered as the final circles were all in an apartment block. Anything wide open and I would've obviously been a goner.

:discourse:

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I need to up my building game. I fare much better when the final circles are open and I'm crawling in the shadows picking off everyone who's impatient and running around.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PabloBOOM posted:

I need to up my building game. I fare much better when the final circles are open and I'm crawling in the shadows picking off everyone who's impatient and running around.

Ugh, I’m the exact opposite. I feel like the last open circles are a crapshoot, whereas urban combat is super tactical and killing or dying is deserved. Especially when open circles just lead to grenade spam.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Why would you pick up a machete, ever? The only melee weapon worth using is the pan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was literally 5 seconds into the round and it was the only thing around and some guy Started running at me with fists? I said that in my post lol.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Got my first frying pan kill courtesy of an oblivious prone dude in a bush facing the wrong way. Thought he was a rock until he twitched. Then bonk bonk more ammo! Satisfying.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
The pan has literally saved my rear end several times, but I've never managed to get a kill with it. Melee in this game is so awful that I always try to run and get a gun rather than try to get a melee kill.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Midniter posted:

I bet you immediately started another game, though.

Update: still playing lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You guys were right about the 416. Dunno wtf I was thinking it's great.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
To the rando I got paired up with in Squad yesterday that always survived and helped us get two chicken dinners in a row, thank you. I'm not exactly sure how your insane play style works with throwing grenades willy nilly and charging people while you have a sliver of health, but keep doing you, because it worked. Good luck with the community service that you had to leave for too. Community service out of the goodness of your heart? Court assigned? Who knows, but keep doing you.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I think most people play super conservatively (for a good reason) so when someone charges them they poo poo their pants. Obviously won't work 100% of the times but I've done full frontal engagement in adverse conditions and watched the other guy panic.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
There's something to be said about playing differently than how your opponent thinks you'll play. All it takes is catching someone off guard.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
I hate the AKM so much. Past 10 feet and it's like a cartoon gun that always seems to create a human shaped bullet outline of the target on the wall behind them, every shot missing when aiming almost dead on.

Does anyone know if the matchmaking in this version utilizes any kind of skill or rank matching? Admittedly I am getting a bit fed up with the game as it seems like the only way to get real good at combat is to do what half the people do and all land at school or prison or military and fight it out immediately. Every time I try to do that the same thing happens: somehow no matter how fast I descend I always land last, then 4 out of 5 times I'm shot before I even have a gun. I'm sure if I kept doing it over and over maybe after about 30 tries I might be successful and have killed 4 or 5 guys in the first 2 minutes like all the ~pros~ do but it's just not fun starting over and over like that and I just go back to landing at ruins or something. And then maybe getting to 15 with one kill before being inevitably obliterated by the decked out first-minute 8 kill vets.

Felt like venting. At least I would feel a bit better if I know I'm more likely to be grouped with other people around my level. It's feeling like the games general skill level has flown by me really friggin fast.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Phyein posted:

I hate the AKM so much. Past 10 feet and it's like a cartoon gun that always seems to create a human shaped bullet outline of the target on the wall behind them, every shot missing when aiming almost dead on.

Does anyone know if the matchmaking in this version utilizes any kind of skill or rank matching? Admittedly I am getting a bit fed up with the game as it seems like the only way to get real good at combat is to do what half the people do and all land at school or prison or military and fight it out immediately. Every time I try to do that the same thing happens: somehow no matter how fast I descend I always land last, then 4 out of 5 times I'm shot before I even have a gun. I'm sure if I kept doing it over and over maybe after about 30 tries I might be successful and have killed 4 or 5 guys in the first 2 minutes like all the ~pros~ do but it's just not fun starting over and over like that and I just go back to landing at ruins or something. And then maybe getting to 15 with one kill before being inevitably obliterated by the decked out first-minute 8 kill vets.

Felt like venting. At least I would feel a bit better if I know I'm more likely to be grouped with other people around my level. It's feeling like the games general skill level has flown by me really friggin fast.

Yeah I've really soured on the AK myself for the same reason. Seems only good for luck shots. Like the better you get at the game the worse the AK gets. I dunno.

I will always hot drop to Pochinki and shoot it out there. It's hot enough to have fun without getting smoked without a gun immediately.

And yes there is skill-based matchmaking though I don't know the exact stat method. I'm guessing it may be as simple as time played.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Phyein posted:

no matter how fast I descend I always land last

How are you descending? How far away from the plane do you jump? When do you pull your chute?

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Apparently there was an update. Sprinting is now very much louder than walking. Running also has some stupid echo or something so when you sprint sounds like there's 2 of you or you have 4 legs.

The blue circle may be a touch slower?

And footsteps and doors seen to be much quieter or sound doesn't carry as far from them. Like, can no longer hear a door open in the first floor when you're on the third floor of a high rise so well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow that new update really spruced things up. It looks and plays notably better now. We are almost hitting the point of mediocrity. AT this rate the final release might be passable.

They did this poo poo where if you hit A to exit out of the map it drops you out of the plane/vehicle though and it's getting me loving murdered because that's how I always exit from the map. Christ what a stupid thing to add.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I noticed that they turned off the animation for everyone jumping out of the plane.

Waiting for most people to clear out was a big part of my strategy.

Jumped a couple times from the map, too. Not great.

DeCaS
Jan 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

They did this poo poo where if you hit A to exit out of the map it drops you out of the plane/vehicle though and it's getting me loving murdered because that's how I always exit from the map. Christ what a stupid thing to add.

This is listed as a known issue in the patch notes so it will be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Maybe there wasn't skill based matchmaking before but there sure as poo poo must be now. I can't loving kill anyone after the patch. I've got like 2 kills to 11 deaths today. Goddammit.