Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

You guys should please both post pictures of the gatefolds of both of those Lionel Ritchie albums. Thanks.

Of course

there needs to be some sort of definitive list of male artists that put full body shots on their gatefolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

content
Feb 13, 2014

wa27 posted:

there needs to be some sort of definitive list of male artists that put full body shots on their gatefolds.

Hell yes please.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wa27 posted:

Nice, I actually picked up a Donna Summer double album at Goodwill today. Some dance studio dropped off a bunch of late 80s stuff. A few have notes on the back saying what dances go to what songs, but aside from that they're in perfect shape. Most were marked $3 so I left them but all these were $1.50.

But the best record of all was this one:

I like that that Debbie Gibson album has an alternate cover where she appears to have stepped in something gross.

wa27 posted:

Of course

These rule.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We used to have the second Lionel gatefold on display above the oven in our kitchen for everyone to bask in its glory at parties. When we moved, it went to our friend who worked in the barbershop opposite and I think he tells people the signature is real.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

You guys should please both post pictures of the gatefolds of both of those Lionel Ritchie albums. Thanks.

This.

Nice Goodwill finds. I've had good luck there with CDs lately but not Vinyl.

Here's my last record store pick up.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

So my turntabled crapped out on me and while i try to figure out what to do with it or upgrade in a moment of weakness i saw an lp60 for cheap and picked it up oops, It's definitely not as good as my MCS was but dang for the money you can't go wrong with it. I'm gonna get something better when I have the money, but I might keep the little thing around as a backup or use it in another room.

I don't know why I posted about this, I guess I wanted to feel ok about buying what's essentially a downgrade in a moment of weakness cause I need my record fix. I have a problem.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
first record haul of 2018

sampletastic easy listening from the Peter Thomas orchestra

some (ok, one) tuff disco breaks from another titan of easy listening

cheap cerrone, expensive dusty

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The perfect Valentine’s gift.

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/961780035265933312

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

wa27 posted:

Of course

I don't think is what you had in mind, but you did ask.

https://i.imgur.com/hNJKgeM.jpg.

Rick Wakeman's gatefold from Rhapsodies. The gatefold is the most interesting thing about the album.

content
Feb 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/961780237167153155

On point.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I don't think is what you had in mind, but you did ask.

https://i.imgur.com/hNJKgeM.jpg.

Rick Wakeman's gatefold from Rhapsodies. The gatefold is the most interesting thing about the album.

:eyepop:

here's another classic

content
Feb 13, 2014

Not really the same vibe, but the outside gatefold of Lodger has always been a favorite.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
This is so 70s, it hurts.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Nice work guys.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I can't find decent pictures online for some reason but the gatefold of The Isaac Hayes Movement and the Black Moses foldout are top tier.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Moe_Rahn posted:

I can't find decent pictures online for some reason but the gatefold of The Isaac Hayes Movement and the Black Moses foldout are top tier.

Ask and you shall receive (one of your requests).

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Just got a record player for Christmas. Anybody know what are some of the best stores for cheap used records in LA? I visited Rasputin in Berkeley last month and they had hordes of $3 - 7 records including nearly complete discographies of the biggest names from the 60s-80s. They all had busted up packaging and missing inserts/sleeves but we bought 50 records and they all played great. My mistake was thinking "I don't need to pick up this copy of Springsteen Live 1975-1985 right now. They have 5 copies so I'm sure I can find one back home."

But so far in LA I've only checked out Amoeba (picked clean and too many people) and Rockaway Records (Almost all was starting at $20 and their $5 bins was severely lacking).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Vacation is good. I’m not sure it’s cheap, but you rarely will find a good record that is cheap anyway. Are you looking for anything in particular?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

Vacation is good. I’m not sure it’s cheap, but you rarely will find a good record that is cheap anyway. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How are there so many copies of Whipped Cream & Other delights anyway? Is it because of the cover? It's the only record my mom kept from her collection.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

But so far in LA I've only checked out Amoeba (picked clean and too many people) and Rockaway Records (Almost all was starting at $20 and their $5 bins was severely lacking).

I've heard Soundsations near LAX has a really good collection of punk albums (heard from a guy who works there, but he seemed like a straight shooter). There's a new one in Torrance called Vintage vinyl. The guy who runs the place is nice; from my understanding his stock came from his personal collection and old stock from a store in Portland that specialized in 12" singles.

Tell me if Soundsations is any good because I rarely get up to LAX.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It was the #1 album for ages and sold 6 million copies. I think it outsold the Beatles.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What I was getting at was more "how did it sell so much." I've played it a couple times and it's OK, but not something for my regular rotation.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What I was getting at was more "how did it sell so much." I've played it a couple times and it's OK, but not something for my regular rotation.
My personal theory, from the last time this came up -

pwn posted:

Herb Alpert- and at least in my experience, Anne Murray- are staples of Goodwills, yes. Probably because he was massively popular with a generation who have been dying off in droves over the past decade, and their adult children take their dad's records to Goodwill

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

MrSargent posted:

Ask and you shall receive (one of your requests).

Lest we forget:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Ahh Herb Alpert. Yah the last time this came up I am pretty sure I didn't know the running joke about Goodwill and his records. Still see at least one of his records every time I venture into a Goodwill to see if anything new is in.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I know I've said this before, but that dude could play.

In other news, I am chilling on massive noise tonight - boris live at third man just a bit ago and now the analog loveless remaster

I'm a little surprised how much bottom end there isn't, but it's still loveless, so it's still great

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Recieved my new King Gizzard album from goon owned? Needle Juice Records.

Vinyl looks cooler than the mock up. I think the cover is kinda ugly but that seems to be the Giz style

This "new" Songs Ohia showed up today as well. Just went with black vinyl on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMhLT-Ga71Y

This Seu Jorge was supposed to br clear vinyl...which is ok because clear vinyl is a pain in the rear end in dark bar. Pretty crappy pressing with lots of surface noise and some skips, but I still dig it.

Cool retro soundtrack sounding stuff. This was supposed to be smokey red vinyl and it just turned out mostly translucent red with one little black smudge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMfDgQTXk8

Vinyl Me Please. I keep letting my poo poo expire then they put out something like this. It's a really beautiful package. Foil embossed, thick textured cover, sounds rad.

... and it wouldn't be complete without the crappy VMP art print

King Sperm is ready to die.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 13, 2018

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

When you have dinner parties do you select a record to display based on the the wine or your shoes?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Lest we forget:

I missed this but it’s glorious. I need to keep an eye out for that one, I have quite a bit of Isaac Hayes but somehow missing that one.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Oldstench posted:

When you have dinner parties do you select a record to display based on the the wine or your shoes?

Usually the shoes.

MrSargent posted:

I missed this but it’s glorious. I need to keep an eye out for that one, I have quite a bit of Isaac Hayes but somehow missing that one.

Saw a copy for $3 the other day but it was not the fold out cover.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Got this great album today :cool:

wa27 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 15, 2018

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah okay.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Got my copy of the Porcupine Tree - Deadwing repress yesterday. Feels good to finally have a copy without having to spend >$350 on it.

They still have copies available. Shipping from the UK wasn't too terribly long either. https://burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Finally picked up the Devo EZ Listening release:

You can get imports off ebay for about $23 now.

here's a download code:
FUTNO18YLBHPXJZ
http://www.futurismoinc.com/redeem/

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Coincidentally I just nabbed up this sweet reissue:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

That's not just my favorite Devo album, but one of my favorite albums in general. Did you get that live double LP from the New Traditionalists tour that came out a few years ago? If not, check it out. It's great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

My cousin picked this release up for me when Hastings bookstore was closing, which was nice because I didn't have any version up till then. I love clear pressings. I do wish I had the RSD live album that CPL593H mentioned to go along with it though.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 23, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wa27 posted:

here's a download code:

thank you for this - there was one at my local record shop, but it was gone the last time I was there. I'll have to see about getting it online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Got my copy of the Porcupine Tree - Deadwing repress yesterday. Feels good to finally have a copy without having to spend >$350 on it.

They still have copies available. Shipping from the UK wasn't too terribly long either. https://burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree

Are reissues as bad as people have me believe? I remember reading that reissues are generated from digital in lieu of actual master discs so the analog sound aesthetics are lost.