Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They had to have had some idea that Cooper would eventually go missing though, right? Like he's even named D.B. Cooper. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I knew Twin Peaks was for me when Leland threw himself onto the coffin.
And I knew Shelly was for me when two scenes later she's mimicking it to two old guys at the diner while they all laugh hysterically.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
took me a second but I knew I had that laying around somewhere

https://i.imgur.com/ZTBppFh.gifv

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
That scene is also a perfect example of what seems like careful planning when it was probably just lucky coincidence. Leland lying on Laura's coffin and crying as it goes up and down over and over again is hilarious the first time you see it, deeply unnerving when you watch it with the knowledge of what happens in Season 2 and FWWM.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imo that scene is peak Peaks

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kuddles posted:

The International Pilot presents the red room stuff from Episode 2 with a preface that says "25 Years Later..." which is why Kyle is in old man makeup. It also establishes BOB as an evil entity created by a "convenience store." Episode 3 has Cooper admitting that his supernatural sense of intuition was a gift to him in a dream.

I mean, I agree that they are making a lot of it up as they go along (which makes some of the crazier theories linking The Return to throwaway joke dialogue in the original series really funny), but I have a feeling they had an idea of where the show would be headed, even if it would have been presented in a completely different way on Season 6 of the hypothetical original show rather than The Return.
I did notice that in an episode Lynch directed (might have been 3), there seemed to be a lot of dialogue about dreams. In particular Audrey's line "isn't this music so dreamy" which I'm sure has been dug up and analyzed back and forth in light of The Return.

E4: a while ago I asked you guys if you thought you could condense the first two seasons to the bare essentials you absolutely need to know to get S3. You told me no way, Twin Peaks was a package deal. And I thought that was fair enough but you totally can and this is where you start.

I guess it all depends on what parts of the show you enjoy. Me, I couldn’t give a poo poo about the whole sawmill plot the first time I watched it, let alone now.

James encounters Maddie and is seriously in danger of losing his cool, but I’m giving him a pass based on the fact that surprise meeting a double of your dead secret girlfriend would probably put anyone out of balance.

E5: it's fascinating how much the show picks up the pace once one of the showrunners, in this case Frost, writes the script. Even the sawmill thing is getting interesting now. Bobby is rapidly turning into something more than a cliche high school football thug and I'm so glad they brought him back in S3.

Standout part: Leland has another public breakdown and Catherine turns it into a dance move to save the business deal. Holy poo poo that holds up as a cynical move even after 25+ years in which there's been no shortage of cynical moves on TV.

James has regained balance and continues to be cool.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

My Lovely Horse posted:

E4: a while ago I asked you guys if you thought you could condense the first two seasons to the bare essentials you absolutely need to know to get S3. You told me no way, Twin Peaks was a package deal. And I thought that was fair enough but you totally can and this is where you start.

You start with episode 4? Is that episode 4 counting the pilot? What about the whole discovering Laura thing that comes up in episode 17 of season three?

I've bought the Entire Mystery in anticipation of the European release of season three. Maybe I'll get someone to watch your weird-rear end abridged version of Twin Peaks, and see how confused they are.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 7, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No I mean episode 4, not counting the pilot, is probably one you can safely mostly skip, if for some reason your only drive to watch S1 and S2 is to get backstory on the relevant parts of The Return.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I knew Twin Peaks was for me when Leland threw himself onto the coffin.

As much as I love Lynch for his S3E8s and Mulholland Driveses, the Leland Coffin scene is maybe the apotheosis of lynchianism for me. It's somehow simultaneously melodramatic and overwrought while being incredibly funny, deeply sad and way disturbing at the same time. Every time I watch it, I'm giggling but also really uncomfortable and I feel like I shouldn't be watching this. Lynch is a master at capturing human moments that don't fit into any one genre or mood.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wonder if that moment also throws people off early on from Leland being the killer too.

Great scene anyways.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

My Lovely Horse posted:

No I mean episode 4, not counting the pilot, is probably one you can safely mostly skip, if for some reason your only drive to watch S1 and S2 is to get backstory on the relevant parts of The Return.

Ah, that makes more sense. I remembered that you asked whether the show could be condensed into five episodes (which I still think is impossible). You could definitely trim some fat. The entire sawmill plot never goes anywhere, anyway. If you skipped all of that, it would mean skipping a lot of Pete's and Ben's scenes, but I guess sacrifices have to be made (in this hypothetical scenario, in which you can't convince your friend to watch all of Twin Peaks).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I did give that as a ballpark number and in retrospect it was a bit of a tall order. I figure you'd want to keep in as many of Pete's scenes in as possible, anyway.

E6: I feel like the show's found its legs now, although this might be because we're only one episode from the end of season 1 and rapidly building towards the climax. The Bookhouse Boys go on a road trip, the kids hatch a plan of their own, and Leo assassinates a bird. Not before its eyewitness account is committed to tape; MacLachlan and Ontkean are conveying a lot of emotion through body language alone here, pretty great scene.

(We're all agreed that Ontkean's absence hurt the most in S3, right? Like, out of all the central actors that hadn't died.)

I forgot if Ben Horne knows that One Eyed Jack's recruits girls from his store. I mean, I wouldn't think he'd let Audrey work there if he did, but does he never recognize any of the girls? Or more probably, as he doesn't seem to be involved in the day to day running of the business, get recognized?

James is hatching a pretty emotionally manipulative plan here if you think about it, but it's still cool in a YA detective fiction sort of way if you don't.

I can't believe they made season 2 almost three times as long and frankly I'm dreading to revisit some of the more out there storylines.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I too would like to skip the 1990 plotlines that don't go anywhere so that I can hurry up and get to all the 2017 plot lines that don't go anywhere

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think my favorite scene still is that old dude at the hotel that keeps bothering Cooper as he lies there after be shot. Also the best thumbs up in the series.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think my favorite scene still is that old dude at the hotel that keeps bothering Cooper as he lies there after be shot. Also the best thumbs up in the series.

This was definitely a favorite in the sense that I could just about feel my blood pressure reaching critical levels.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aaaand here's episode 7, the season finale, a very good one too where practically every plot thread so far is turned on its head and we seem to be getting some closure on how Laura's murder went down. But, well, we've got a second series ahead of us that's three times as long as the first one.

One thought in particular occurs: considering the Black Lodge aspect becomes such a big part of the show later and the whole of The Return revolves around it, it's really very low key in the first season. We get one scene and it's presented, and was probably conceived, as nothing more than a dream sequence. But then again, there are owls, there are glimpses of BOB, there are the Bookhouse Boys on their mission against... something. Seeds are sown.

I forgot that Ben actually owns One Eyed Jack's, which, uh, means he definitely knows where the girls come from, right?

James is taking Laura's posthumous message on tape extremely well. It's looking good for him so far, but anyone who knows Twin Peaks knows that the real whoppers come in season 2. For better or worse.

Oh, and my friend who didn't watch beyond the early episodes really never did catch the dream sequence, or doesn't remember it. But then like I said, that part of the show takes until season 2 to really kick in anyway. Tricky business, this.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

If you want to trim the fat off s2 episodes.. how would you approach s3 with that mindset? and what would be left of it ?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My whole reason for trimming the fat would be to make a condensed version that enables you to watch S3 in its entirety and have all the necessary context for recurring characters. Not really to improve on 90s Twin Peaks as it is - sure it's got some iffy parts but I'd still think that would be a bit presumptuous.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I like s3 more than the older show, but it isn’t worth skimming through one of the other best pieces of TV ever to get to it quicker.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean, I like s3 more than the older show, but it isn’t worth skimming through one of the other best pieces of TV ever to get to it quicker.

I've said this before, but if you're gonna start skipping, you might as well skip straight to season three episode 18. The rest of the show is undone by episode 17, anyway.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Escobarbarian posted:

I wouldn't skip any of season one, but there's something to be said for the idea of a master cut of season 2 that is maybe like 3-6 hours long. It's bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first 7-9 episodes are still great, but I’ll agree with you for everything after Leland croaks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

The first 7-9 episodes are still great, but I’ll agree with you for everything after Leland croaks.

There’s still some good stuff after that, but yeah, it does completely lose its way for a while.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I mean if you're really pressed for time and want to barebones it, i'd say Pilot, S1E3, S2E7, season 2 Finale, and FWWM can get you in a decent enough place for Season 3.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well there is that early season two episode where jerry asks is this reality or some terrible dream?

So I don't know if thats coincidence considering season 3 but it raised an eyebrow on rewatch for me

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Season 2, Episode 1! This is where, if you look at it in retrospect, David Lynch lays out his whole plan for the show. The Black Lodge mythology feels firmly in place now. Perhaps, in fact, a little more of it than obvious. I'm pretty sure I just saw Sarah Palmer cross a room and the rug fibres stand up in her path as if she was dragging something invisible. It's hard to think that Harriet's poem about "Laura glowing in the dark woods" was a coincidence, and the Giant definitely hit Cooper with a golden orb at the end.

Or maybe that was all just spur of the moment stuff and David Lynch tied it together 25 years later who the hell knows.

One thing, though: Donna and Maddie talking at the RR is exactly the kind of conversation people have in the Roadhouse booths in season 3. The only difference is that we know the context. Go ahead and listen to their talk and imagine you had no idea who James or Leland are or who these girls are. Twin Peaks can't catch a break, there's always shady poo poo happening to everyone, and the show just happens to follow one set of people.

James handles being framed and put in jail cold as ice. I guess being part of the secret police club helps a bit.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I saw Fire walk with me for the first time today and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a quite incoherent mix of scenes that made no sense and instead it was a moving and psychologically intense drama. And it made season 3 make a lot more sense to me

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Star posted:

I saw Fire walk with me for the first time today and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a quite incoherent mix of scenes that made no sense and instead it was a moving and psychologically intense drama. And it made season 3 make a lot more sense to me

FWWM is pretty much required viewing for season 3. I was shocked at how much they referenced it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

wa27 posted:

FWWM is pretty much required viewing for season 3. I was shocked at how much they referenced it.

Definitely. There are so many scenes and places in season 3 that I now understand come from the movie. Really looking forward to rewatching The Return and see how I feel about it this time.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Star posted:

I saw it before I saw any other twin peaks. I loved it and felt the same way, and sheryl lee should have won an oscar for it several times over.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fire Walk With Me remains my favorite Twin Peaks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hated FWWM the first time I saw it but now it’s in my top 5 films. The ending with angel makes me tear up.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I went into FWWM a few years ago knowing it wasn't well received when it was released. It blew me the gently caress away. I can't believe the negative reception.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Breadallelogram posted:

I went into FWWM a few years ago knowing it wasn't well received when it was released. It blew me the gently caress away. I can't believe the negative reception.

I think people were upset because they expected it to deal with the evil Coop cliffhanger (I know it kinda does subtly) and instead got a prequel. Also the tone is pretty different from the show.

It was extremely well received in Japan.:japan:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Breadallelogram posted:

90s America wasn't ready to deal with a frank depiction of a white dad raping his daughter from the victim's point of view.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I understand how someone who has never seen Twin Peaks (or didn't get super into the mythology) would think FWWM is a bad movie. The structure is more like a mid-season episode of season 3 than any movie most people have seen, and it doesn't exactly set up any aspect of the story or any of the characters, so without the context of the series, it could seem like just a bunch of random weird poo poo happening to a bunch of unfamiliar characters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think it’s bad - I like it overall - but I will forever be baffled by the amount of people who completely love it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think it’s bad - I like it overall - but I will forever be baffled by the amount of people who completely love it.

Well, this is me with season 3 episode 8.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

S2E2 and E3: watching an episode directed by Lynch and one that wasn't back to back really highlights how much less focused the non-Lynch episode is, and gives a glimpse of the kind of second season we could have gotten if it had been Lynch all the way. Probably not that unlike the third season, even 25 years before. A lot of stuff I remembered happening in season 2 was in these three episodes already, and I'm kinda starting to wonder what on earth they'll fill the remaining 19 episodes with. Then Nadine wakes up from her coma and I think, right, yes. That..

But let's not dwell on that. We have a more urgent development to note.

James. Oh James. An entire season of eight episodes was no problem for you. I knew vaguely what kind of stuff was coming up in season 2 but I was sure you'd found your stride and, even if eventually you might stop being cool, you would at least hold out a tiny bit longer than two out of twenty-two drat episodes before you do something so profoundly uncool as get caught giving the other girl a meaningful eye in a tender moment. This was yours to lose, James. We're through. Return my half a necklace at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Welp. I think this guy may have found something.

Did i just found out the meaning of the "meanwhile-gesture"?