Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
What was Superman's excuse for not helping Gotham City during No Man's Land? Just apply that to the Flash.

e: after typing that post and thinking about it, I feel like Arrow is trying to do NML-lite, but they don't have nearly the budget it would take to depict a totally wrecked city, so they're just gonna talk about how isolated from the rest of the world they are since they can't show good reasons.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It's been a long time since I read NML but I think Supes did try to help and Batman told him to get out because Gothamites pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the reason is usually because Batman told everyone else to gently caress off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Arrow's been doing some variation or another of No Man's Land since "The Undertaking". In the time we've know them they've had Deathstroke and Ravager show up to buy off parts of the city for their plot to let loose a marauding army on it, Ray Palmer show up to try and rebrand the city, Damian Darkh show up to try blow it up, and a ton of dead politicians and cops to the point where Green Arrow was the only guy safe enough to be Mayor. Cayden James is just the first guy getting money out of the deal.

Well, directly. Merlyn's plot to murder all the poor people certainly seemed like it was going to yield financial rewards.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I stopped liking him once he changed his uniform.

Bring back Zombie Apocalypse Mighty Ducks,.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Uh, thanks for the help, Barry?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's a good thing Barry is out of jail.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

William, please no, I don't hate you yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

How exactly did evil Laurel get away?

e: ahhhhhhhhh

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Am I supposed to care about this guy?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nooneofconsequence posted:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Dammit, show, I've been willing to give you a pass for the same reason I give Batman comics a pass: Just don't acknowledge the way more powerful heroes nearby and it all works. But then the minute you bring Barry in (even if it's just as a Gustin-less streak of CGI), the entire show gets 10 times stupider because it raises the question of why they haven't called for help sooner.

Also I wish, just wish the show would legitimately surprise me. Like, has any villain on Arrow actually made it to court and/or prison?* The minute Oliver left him in a room alone he was already dead and loving everybody knew it. I mean drat, could you maybe have the FBI agent pop in menacingly to try and coax Oliver's identity from him? Or maybe Felicity 2 shows up to reveal she was actually in charge? I guess Lance turning into kind of a creep and holding Black Siren hostage is something? I know all these superhero shows are not exactly high art but drat, I wish there was a plot exciting enough that I couldn't guess the end about 15 minutes in.

*okay I guess Slade went to prison without trial in Guantanamo Bay Lian Yu.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Yeah from the minute James was assembling his Legion of Doom I was wondering who the hell he was. Also if he's supposed to be the big final boss villain of the season, maybe they could show a hint that he's planning ahead. I mean I don't need the Thinker's 12-dimensional chessmaster poo poo from Flash, but seriously, his plan was to use James to weaken the city and then take it over, but James had everyone seconds away from nuclear death, and the guy's plan was what, just bank on James wimping out in the end?

Also also I am worried literally every second William is on screen. I don't want him to die but I expect it to happen constantly as he is both a.) Oliver's weakest point and b.) always doing the stupidest poo poo.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 9, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Dammit, show, I've been willing to give you a pass for the same reason I give Batman comics a pass: Just don't acknowledge the way more powerful heroes nearby and it all works. But then the minute you bring Barry in (even if it's just as a Gustin-less streak of CGI), the entire show gets 10 times stupider because it raises the question of why they haven't called for help sooner.

You sure you don't want me to spend a minute to search the city for the nuke Oliver? You just need a transport service? Okay I guess...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Look, Barry has to be back in that cell before the camera turns around. He can't do everything!

Show keeps acting like it's going to veer right back into god awful drama mode and then pulls back in like the first five minutes of the next episode and it's driving me insane, but in a good way. People are actually acknowledging Oliver has the moral high ground here which should really make Dinah stop and think.

Diaz gonna be mayor though. :(

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 9, 2018

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
This would've been a lot better if it were Anatoly who betrayed him and he was just bullshitting Oliver about honor and poo poo.

Who's this Diaz guy? His plan makes no sense. This is boring. He's boring. Bring back Prometheus. I don't care if he's dead, that never stopped the writers before.

At least the kid didn't gently caress everything up. I guess. Yet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I thought it was going to be the hacker girl who was going to be revealed as the real villain. Because they were focusing on her like crazy in the flashbacks, and she’d been with James long enough to know enough of the ins and outs of his personal life and Helix to pull one over on him and cover her tracks. Plus her warning not to go to Owen’s game sounded REALLY suspicious. Like “please don’t do the thing that would conveniently break my entire plan,” level suspicious.

But I guess that was all just a red herring.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 9, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was totes expecting him to turn up in Thea's old costume and plant an arrow in Ben's typing hand.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I care less about the lovely actor from Oz than I do about how ridiculous the whole “broken team” plot is.

I mean, Dinah is on the warpath and they’re still all “gently caress you oliver.”

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Pillowpants posted:

I care less about the lovely actor from Oz than I do about how ridiculous the whole “broken team” plot is.

I mean, Dinah is on the warpath and they’re still all “gently caress you oliver.”

Rene has really become insufferable. "You spied on me for a whole day, just because you thought I was betraying you to the FBI and not telling you about it? That's too far! Also yeah, you're right, I was doing exactly that and apparently still am even though the trial has pretty much completely stopped and the FBI agent has disappeared."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s just sad how much more natural “hoss” sounds coming from David Ramsay than it does from Rick Gonzalez.

And yeah, Rene, we loving know that “this doesn’t change anything”. You say that every loving time you’re in a room with Oliver. Did you think everyone had forgotten?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Phylodox posted:

It’s just sad how much more natural “hoss” sounds coming from David Ramsay than it does from Rick Gonzalez.

And yeah, Rene, we loving know that “this doesn’t change anything”. You say that every loving time you’re in a room with Oliver. Did you think everyone had forgotten?

Yeah that stuck out to me when I caught up on a bunch of episodes at once.

*Teams save the day*
"This doesn't change anything, Hoss."

*Teams save the day*
"We ain't back together, Hoss."

*Teams save the day*
"Don't get used to it, Hoss."

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"This doesn't change anything...until the episode before the season finale, where we come together as a team to...stop a drug dealer."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I thought it was going to be the hacker girl who was going to be revealed as the real villain. Because they were focusing on her like crazy in the flashbacks, and she’d been with James long enough to know enough of the ins and outs of his personal life and Helix to pull one over on him and cover her tracks. Plus her warning not to go to Owen’s game sounded REALLY suspicious. Like “please don’t do the thing that would conveniently break my entire plan,” level suspicious.

But I guess that was all just a red herring.

I don't know, that camera didn't just turn itself off. Other Hacker Girl could be a mole. I mean, this town ain't big enough for two Felicities...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’ll tell you what, if the finale has Rene saying “This. Changes. Everything.” it will retroactively justify this whole season’s existence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, that camera didn't just turn itself off. Other Hacker Girl could be a mole. I mean, this town ain't big enough for two Felicities...

Just wait, the villain of season 7 is going to be Evil Felicity from Earth 23.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Diaz said the new police captain was on his payroll so that's probably how the camera got shut off.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TwoPair posted:

Maybe Diaz is crazy hacker girl

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Quentin's ongoing Laurel-quest is maybe the worst storyline in modern television superhero fiction. It's impossible to follow if you haven't watched 3 seasons of different shows and sucks even worse if you have.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Psychepath posted:

Quentin's ongoing Laurel-quest is maybe the worst storyline in modern television superhero fiction. It's impossible to follow if you haven't watched 3 seasons of different shows and sucks even worse if you have.

Normally I'd agree but now that it looks like they're going to go into a full Misery-style creep mode with Lance, it's certainly finally something new.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Normally I'd agree but now that it looks like they're going to go into a full Misery-style creep mode with Lance, it's certainly finally something new.

Yeah. That subplot can basically be summed up as "Lance is going to brainwash his daughter's evil double from another reality into becoming a replacement OG Laurel so that they can have her back on the show as Black Canary again."

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
If they go down that route, and the direction is maybe leaning toward it, it could be ok. I really hope so. But as a weekly cycle of "I need to save Laurel!" *Canary kills someone* "I can still save my Laurel!" it's growing ooooold, and there was no reason for her to know about the collar and her fakeout with the confession and I have zero faith in the rest of this season's subplots.

The girl liquefied a man's brains in front of their partner. Quentin absolutely should not be coordinating the city's disaster protocols with Thea while also planning to save this woman.

Psychepath fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 10, 2018

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finally caught up with the post-hiatus episodes. This is not good.

"This is boring. He's boring." sums up 97% of the season for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lance should call John so he can summon original Laurel's soul from hell and implant it in Evil Laurel's body.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Clearly what needs to happen is the entire team going to therapy with Dr. Sharon Finkel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chokes McGee posted:

Look, Barry has to be back in that cell before the camera turns around.
Nah, he's free again now.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the fact that she's a recognisable character whose betrayal might have meant something. Unlike whatsisname, the guy who's been hanging around with the other bad guys. That guy only showed up this season, right? Why are we supposed to care about him?

Rocksicles posted:

I was totes expecting him to turn up in Thea's old costume and plant an arrow in Ben's typing hand.
Who? And who?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

Nah, he's free again now.

Also the fact that she's a recognisable character whose betrayal might have meant something. Unlike whatsisname, the guy who's been hanging around with the other bad guys. That guy only showed up this season, right? Why are we supposed to care about him?

Who? And who?

William aka Speedy II and Ben :lost:

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
It has to be the most Tiggum thing ever to not know who a character is after she's been in nearly every episode for the past 6 years.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sir Potato posted:

It has to be the most Tiggum thing ever to not know who a character is after she's been in nearly every episode for the past 6 years.

I assume it was referring to "him" (William but no context) and "Ben" (not even the character's name)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bruceski posted:

I assume it was referring to "him" (William but no context) and "Ben" (not even the character's name)

He'll die Benjamin Linus. It's his curse.

6 years is a long time man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I didn't mind the episodes as much as others but where I am getting annoyed with Arrow is pick a decision and stick with it for awhile. They started the season out decently but I think they are spinning their wheels.

Dig as Arrow and Ollie as relief was great...for the two episodes it lasted.
Killing Laurel, while not particularly well executed, was a shake up for the status quo...until you are trying to redeem Black Syren which also sucks cause Katie Cassidy is so good as the bad vamp.
The Outsiders is a good idea, except they are constantly working with Ollie and we don't need the constant reminder that this doesn't change anything.

See I think the whole Canary v. Green Arrow isn't a bad idea and could be done well, if they aren't going resolve it in one episode. The whole Ollie has gone through this so he can help you thing would be an interesting direction but it seems like it will last for an episode.

Also, stop giving every villain a redemption story! I actually like Cayden's mini-turn at the end but Merlyn didn't deserve a redemption, Syren doesn't really deserve a redemption.

I do like that William has Flash gear, it's just a nice touch.