Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Popete posted:

So can anyone who has played this in beta/alpha comment if it's any good?

The bit I played in beta was pretty good. I thought they did a fairly good job of creating a medieval world, there's plenty of interesting things to do, and there are a lot of RPG elements that I enjoy. The combat is comprehensive and I can definitely see how player skill plays a major role. I think it has some promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I will still be able to get the no-sex cheevo, right

[adjusts glasses nerdily] should I be ironic about this,

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2018/02/10/heres-the-story-behind-kingdom-come-deliverances-23-gb-day-one-patch/

quote:

So, let me stop the rumor mill dead in its tracks before everyone continues jumping to conclusions. The way that I’ve been told that the engine works, is it takes the entire game and separates the PKG or ISO into 2GB archives. If during a patch you so much as alter a 1KB text file within any of these 2GB archives, then you need to reupload the ENTIRE 2GB portion. That beings said, this is a major patch that improves overarching mechanics throughout the game, so it touches almost all of these 2GB archives in the entire game build. Essentially you are having to redownload the game to replace the existing files. It shouldn’t stack them and inflate on your harddrive, but rather replace the previously downloaded build files.

I'm sorry what

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I will still be able to get the no-sex cheevo, right

[adjusts glasses nerdily] should I be ironic about this,

https://www.pcgamesn.com/kingdom-come-deliverance/kingdom-come-deliverance-virgin-achievement

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

Well let’s face it. We all know that Samson lost his strength from having his balls emptied too many times by Delilah, not by getting his hair cut.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's magic in the game but to unlock it you gotta stay celibate for 30 hours in game

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

There's magic in the game but to unlock it you gotta stay celibate for 30 hours in game

I'm gonna open up Steam Achievement Manager and the dev achivement name is going to be elliot rogersy isn't it

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm gonna open up Steam Achievement Manager and the dev achivement name is going to be elliot rogersy isn't it

The Perfect Gentleman

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phi230 posted:

Well there is a monk level.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

that sounds like how payday 2 does it. it lowers the file size down significantly but when a patch comes through you now have to redownload 7 gigs for a small fix.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

that sounds like how payday 2 does it. it lowers the file size down significantly but when a patch comes through you now have to redownload 7 gigs for a small fix.

Yeah if I understand it correctly they are compressing the poo poo out of the game to get the file sized down and...unzipping? Mounting? Doing something with an ISO as is it is being played. It's just weird because disk size is cheap while for a lot of people downloads are increasingly expensive. Contact huge patches are going to kill people with data caps.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
are downloads that bothersome for people? i imagine it's going to vary a lot by location but i always thought bandwidth was pretty cheap. i'm in australia, and while our internet is famously crappy (though i think many people living here who blithely complain about how our internet is worse than estonia's miss the fact our geography makes it loving hard and estonia has iirc become a bit of an it hub), any patch smaller than 6 or 7 gigs isn't going to do more than mildly irritate me

hard drive space on solid state drives i also think is at a bit of a premium - a lot of games n ow are 50 gigs+ and ssd prices remain pretty expensive (though coming down; iirc technological development pace on storage is better than most other types of progress and cost/mb halves yearly)

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
The save game system seems quite unorthodox. As far as I can tell, you save when you sleep in game, other times you have a consumable item called Saviour's Schnapps. You drink it to save during gameplay when expecting trouble and it gives you a stat effect like other alcohol does. Means you can't save scum your way through the game, but could be an annoyance depending on playstyle. No doubt this will be modded early once the modding gets unlocked by devs.

In Skyrim I'd save all the time, in KCD I'll have to learn to roll with how the game lets me save. Mistakes have consequences and I'll have to be cautious with what I try to do, until someone makes a mod that gives unlimited Schnapps. Then I'll roll around drunk all day, every day. :)

The day-night cycle is probably quite a bit shorter than in real life. The nights are dark like the inside of a bag, and you need a torch to see if you're not sleeping the night away.

You can disguise yourself by wearing enemy clothing, btw. The clothing system uses layers of different items like armour, shirts, trousers and what have you. Some items are better for sneaking, some for melee, social interaction or other uses.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
There is a discount link for Gamesplanet at the youtube page of let's player Lady Lilia. 13% off when paying with Amazon Pay. She has been playing the Beta and loving it. She will also do a LP of the game's main quest line on release plus streaming sidequests on Twitch.

In this 6-minute video she is just talking about her plans for the game so no spoilers there but there is a link for Gamesplanet on the page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQC8zaoFQfQ

For the record, I have watched only a few of her videos so far to avoid spoilers and I am not in any way associated with her channel. She gets a small amount of money from purchases made through her affiliate link. You can give her youtube channel some goon views if you want a discount, I won't link to Gamesplanet directly. :3: :glomp::homebrew:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Woohoo posted:

Most educational game in past decade

Will it teach me how to poop?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Can i be a boring farmer who that never does anything exciting?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
But really. How to poo? Are there poo related ranged weapons? Can we poison our enemies with the poo? If dysentery is in the game due to ~historical accuracy~ are there fluid physics implemented? These are the important questions that really need to be answered. C'mon, guys.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 11, 2018

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Eastbound Spider posted:

Can i be a boring farmer who that never does anything exciting?

I honestly have no idea, but I doubt it though. German medieval farming simulator mod? I'd play that. There's always Stardew Valley for your turnip growing needs. :)

Archonex, we can only dream of such detail levels. I believe there are some kinds of diseases, debuffs or food poisonings in the game, that much I have seen. If anyone knows more, do share. If you want a game with a dedicated button for urinating, try My Summer Car. :)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

SlightlyMad posted:

I honestly have no idea, but I doubt it though. German medieval farming simulator mod? I'd play that. There's always Stardew Valley for your turnip growing needs. :)

Archonex, we can only dream of such detail levels. I believe there are some kinds of diseases, debuffs or food poisonings in the game, that much I have seen. If anyone knows more, do share. If you want a game with a dedicated button for urinating, try My Summer Car. :)

I gotta say. You are really making it hard to believe that you aren't a shill. Either that or you're the most clueless guy on these forums when it comes to sarcasm and humor.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 11, 2018

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Archonex posted:

I gotta say. You are really making it hard to believe that you aren't a shill. Either that or you're most clueless guy on these forums when it comes to sarcasm and humor.

I would expect the OP of the thread to be rather passionate about the subject matter. Let him shill away if he wants to, what harm does it do?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Better him than that other guy, that's for sure.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Archonex posted:

I gotta say. You are really making it hard to believe that you aren't a shill. Either that or you're the most clueless guy on these forums when it comes to sarcasm and humor.

No, I'm just playing along with you, pooper man. :) If you have a poop humor fixation, I hope you get what you're looking for. There is some cutscene where the main character is flinging poo poo at a house, if that makes you feel warm and fuzzy. I would imagine the mod scene will be a sight to behold... :nexus::nexus: And seriously, check out My Summer Car if you want a beer-drinking-piss-flinging life simulation. Watch a twitch streamer like Jefmajor for it.

At this point in time I can't give a genuine impression of whether this game is good or not. I have heard good things but that is all I can say. If the game does not seem like your kind of thing for any reason, just wait and see how it turns out. Might be boring, might be fun. If you hate the lead developer and want to buy something else with your money, feel free man.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Oh, here's something; a wiki of the game, will add to original post:

https://kingdomcomedeliverance.wiki.fextralife.com/Kingdom+Come+Deliverance+Wiki

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
found a video of combat and it looks pretty janky

e: no single time fencing or binding

barkbell fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 11, 2018

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
After watching the Giant Bomb quick look for DW9, I’m glad I went with KCD. I hadn’t taken more than a glance at it until last week but now I’m really looking forward to playing as a bard/thief like I did in Oblivion.

I’ll get DW9 on sale some day, but I got KCD for $40 on cdkeys so I’m thrilled.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

drat they upped the recommended PC requirements, worried may not run on my toaster now

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Most videos out there are of the Beta version from a year and a half ago. This one shows some combat training and quests where the main character goes undercover in a monastery in a murder investigation I believe. Some alchemy/cooking too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwXv3eUiRYM

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've never done a pre-order through Green Man Gaming. Do you get the key ahead of launch? Or if not how long does it usually take after launch to get the key?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Popete posted:

I've never done a pre-order through Green Man Gaming. Do you get the key ahead of launch? Or if not how long does it usually take after launch to get the key?

You usually get it in time for launch, or thereabouts. Sometimes you can even get it well ahead of the time and can preload.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
This makes me think of Defender of the Crown (pc game from 30 years ago) for some reason, they should have put in jousting.

Does this have controller support for pc? I hate playing games with mouse & kb unless it's fps or rts.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Popete posted:

You should get the key immediately, although sometimes the publisher fucks up and doesn't provide them enough keys to cover the sales immediately at launch and it's a few hours until you get it. that's rare though.

Only reason not to go with GMG if they are having a sale is that you can't preload it.

E. Looks like their 20% off coupon can be used on KCD so yeah go for it if you don't absolutely need to play at midnight

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mem posted:

This makes me think of Defender of the Crown (pc game from 30 years ago) for some reason, they should have put in jousting.

Does this have controller support for pc? I hate playing games with mouse & kb unless it's fps or rts.

yes controller support

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You should get the key immediately, although sometimes the publisher fucks up and doesn't provide them enough keys to cover the sales immediately at launch and it's a few hours until you get it. that's rare though.

Only reason not to go with GMG if they are having a sale is that you can't preload it.

E. Looks like their 20% off coupon can be used on KCD so yeah go for it if you don't absolutely need to play at midnight

Yeah that was my intention, use the %20 off to play it at midnight but I'm still pretty skeptical so I don't wanna pre-order.

Looks like they are releasing 12 PM ET on the 13th anyway so I'll be at work. I'll just wait to buy it when I get home on the 13th after we get some initial reactions instead of taking the pre-order gamble through GMG.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
lmao if you buy games when you can just watch someone else play them on twitch

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rock Puncher posted:

lmao if you buy games when you can just watch someone else play them on twitch

this but also about sex

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/12/games-inbox-kingdom-come-deliverance-racism-sonic-all-stars-racing-3-and-fire-emblem-on-switch-7305167/

Does the Developer Being Racist Put You Off Kingdom Come?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

its accurate but the lead-dev specifically is "alt-right" and made it way worse than it ever had to be through his own response to the criticism

I don't think he's even American. Is the alt-right international now?

quote:

I implore people to not buy the game, to boycott it. We have to show that people who hold such disgusting views should not be rewarded, and that games that come from such a rotten, anti-progressive stance don’t deserve to succeed.

Imagine being the person who would write a big article about how a twitter feed made them upset. Hey man, keep fighting whatever fight you think you're fighting.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

In todays world where everything is racist, nothing is racist.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
It's about Ethics in Video Game Development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I don't fully understand what this means but I'm not sure if a patch this extensive bodes well for the final product.