Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Still not as bad as CN's dicking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been looking forward to this returning - the main thing I'm concerned about is this - how will whatever Eclipsa has planned affect Star's hopes for the future of Mewni? If she has some plan in motion to harm or humiliate Moon, that will likely badly damage any attempt Star has with getting a rapport going between Mewman's and Monsters, because Eclipsa right now is a symbol for what Star is trying to do - if everyone assuming Eclipsa is up to no good is proven correct, and in turn Star proven to have been naive about her, then they'll likely be confident to assume that their assumptions about Monsters are also correct, despite that not being how it works.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eclipsa's motivations are a total mystery at this point, to everyone. I think part of the reason why Moon is so paranoid of her and seems uncharacteristically uncertain to the point where she gives into Star's demands for a fair trial, is because she simply doesn't know much about Eclipsa and what she wants- but she does know Eclipsa has (at least on paper) betrayed their kingdom before, that she's incredibly powerful, and she knows and teaches terrible dark magic. And I bet Moon has a personal grudge given she's been permanently physically scarred by having to use said magic. It's kind of awkward to have a distant ancestor hanging around, too.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I like the idea that if Eclipsa is vindicated in the trial, she would technically be the real Queen of Mewni and stun everyone by (re)claiming the throne. I feel like she's waaay too confident and smart to lose the trial and intended all along for this to happen and winning the trial is all part of her plan.

My gut says that Eclipsa is a good person though and that its likely that Meteora/Mina are going to be the true villains of the arc, although both are more damaged than villainous and the focus will be on convincing them to stand down peacefully. Moon will likely also be a big hurdle since she's still irrationally prejudiced against monsters.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nephthys posted:

I like the idea that if Eclipsa is vindicated in the trial, she would technically be the real Queen of Mewni and stun everyone by (re)claiming the throne. I feel like she's waaay too confident and smart to lose the trial and intended all along for this to happen and winning the trial is all part of her plan.

My gut says that Eclipsa is a good person though and that its likely that Meteora/Mina are going to be the true villains of the arc, although both are more damaged than villainous and the focus will be on convincing them to stand down peacefully. Moon will likely also be a big hurdle since she's still irrationally prejudiced against monsters.

Eclipsa would have to be prescient if the trial was part of her plan. It's clear that she's at the Butterfly Castle for a reason since she hasn't bothered to use a single spell and her knowledge of the castle's secret passages proves she could leave anytime she likes, but the trial was something Queen Moon made up on the spot to mollify Star. It's more likely that she's present in order to do what she's been doing: learn more about Star, gain her trust, and then manipulate and/or simply ask Star to help her with some yet-unknown task. What that task is will decide whether she's part of the Forces of Evil or not.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
My gut feeling right now is that even if Eclipsa had the choice, she wouldn't want the throne back. That doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't want to rule, but given her affinity for watching things from afar (The view from the rose tower, the scrying spell), her movement around the castle in the shadows and through secret passages, and her subtle advice to Star, Eclipsa seems like the kind of person who prefers to do her manipulation far from the spotlight. Plus, she's already ditched the throne once before, and hasn't shown any inclination to undermine Moon thus far. Whether or not that continues to be the case is obviously pretty far up in the air, but my suspicion is that if Eclipsa comes out of the trial a free woman, she'll be perfectly happy to leave without a fuss.

Heinous/Meteora, on the other hand, that's gonna be a fight.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 8, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Who knows how it works in Mewni, but iirc, generally abdicating the throne basically means you're dead as far as the crown is concerned. (where 'the crown' is an entity and ideal of its own separate from the rulers) Your descendants might then be next in line, but you can never take it back and be crowned again. (unless you just conquer it back, obviously)

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Eclipsa seizes the throne and Moon is exiled, and that's how we bring the show back to Earth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Whiz Palace posted:

Eclipsa seizes the throne and Moon is exiled, and that's how we bring the show back to Earth.

I'm almost certain 'exiled royalty having to move in with a typical American family' was a sitcom or two.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Whiz Palace posted:

Boo! Earth is boring. Have Eclipsa take over Earth and then exile all the fun characters to Mewni.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 8, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, Eclipsa already ruled Mewni once, and apparently she wasn't that into it.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Came across this video the other week and decided to give this show a go, despite not seeming like my thing. I actually really like it. The combination of the "pretty pink princess" aesthetic with all the messed up poo poo that goes on is just hilarious to me (strawberry rainbow PANZERFAUST!). The voice actress for Star does a great job too.

The guy in that video is absolutely wrong about pony head though, she's 100% annoying in the best way.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
New episodes have been announced! And they're... on a weekly airing schedule? Not a bomb? I don't understand :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/961781714531115008

Edit: Also if my count of the episodes is correct, it looks like the end of the season is gonna be another hour-long finale.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 9, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
well, that's the first time I've ever seen a channel acknowledge that a show's fandom is extremely angry

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

New episodes have been announced! And they're... on a weekly airing schedule? Not a bomb? I don't understand :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/961781714531115008

Edit: Also if my count of the episodes is correct, it looks like the end of the season is gonna be another hour-long finale.

Ludo is coming back!!!!

Man, I don't know if I'm the only one who loves him, but I'm super happy he's returning.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love Ludo too, he's just so earnest. It was really satisfying watching him master the Levitato spell because he made a good counterpoint to Star - far weaker power but he was trying so hard, where she had limitless power and couldn't be assed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BioEnchanted posted:

I love Ludo too, he's just so earnest. It was really satisfying watching him master the Levitato spell because he made a good counterpoint to Star - far weaker power but he was trying so hard, where she had limitless power and couldn't be assed.

He's a great character, and his final blow against Toffee is one of the best/funniest moments on the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4CmKfRxF9o

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall the observation that Ludo has his own dimensional scissors one way or another, and that while they may well be a heirloom or something, if Ludo had to go through Heckapoo's challenge in a similar way to Marco, he'd loving ace it; that whole thing required endless dedication and resilience, which are two things Ludo has in spades.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

I recall the observation that Ludo has his own dimensional scissors one way or another, and that while they may well be a heirloom or something, if Ludo had to go through Heckapoo's challenge in a similar way to Marco, he'd loving ace it; that whole thing required endless dedication and resilience, which are two things Ludo has in spades.

I get the feeling that Heckapoo made Marco's challenge harder than usual since she didn't really like him at first. I can't imagine she made the Butterflys jump through nearly as many hoops to get the royal dimensional scissors.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ludo is coming back!!!!

Man, I don't know if I'm the only one who loves him, but I'm super happy he's returning.

I just want to see that little guy get his redemption and reward. He's bloody earned it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I just want to see that little guy get his redemption and reward. He's bloody earned it.

I'm hoping that he sees what Star's trying to do and decides to help in his own way - Star is a catalyst for change from the Mewman side, it would be good for her to have one on the Monster's side as well, working along side her and the Youth of Mewni. (I figured since they provide a united front together trying to make peace happen, they deserve an actual group name to counterpoint the Magical High Council.) Star discussing politics with Eclipsa and Ludo would be a neat direction.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The most important part of this is the return of the series MVP Yvgeny Bulgolyubov

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm hoping that he sees what Star's trying to do and decides to help in his own way - Star is a catalyst for change from the Mewman side, it would be good for her to have one on the Monster's side as well, working along side her and the Youth of Mewni. (I figured since they provide a united front together trying to make peace happen, they deserve an actual group name to counterpoint the Magical High Council.) Star discussing politics with Eclipsa and Ludo would be a neat direction.

Given the events of Starfari, I'm pretty sure Buff Frog is going to be the one who takes point on that given his newly appointed position as the Royal Monster Expert. He's also already had interactions with Moon on the topic, so it would make sense if they continued to build on the relationship between those two characters were Buff Frog to take a more direct role.

Edit: Spoilers for Ludo, Where Art Thou:

Double Edit:

https://twitter.com/Hug_bees/status/962046213397757952

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 10, 2018

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I personally don't find Ludo that interesting. In fact I haven't been a big fan of a lot of the Mewni stuff unfortunately.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Given the events of Starfari, I'm pretty sure Buff Frog is going to be the one who takes point on that given his newly appointed position as the Royal Monster Expert. He's also already had interactions with Moon on the topic, so it would make sense if they continued to build on the relationship between those two characters were Buff Frog to take a more direct role.

I actually forgot that job change entirely. Whoops.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

I personally don't find Ludo that interesting. In fact I haven't been a big fan of a lot of the Mewni stuff unfortunately.

same. I miss Marco's dumb parents.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Jackie-Lynn Thomas deserved better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jackie should date Tom. I think they'd enjoy chilling out together.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I do hope at least one of the upcoming episodes involves earth in some way. It'd definitely fit into Marco's character arc-after all, a lot of Night Life was about Marco finding the satisfaction he'd hoped to get from returning to Mewni in adventuring with Heckapoo instead of doing mundane stuff with Star, and given how miserable he's become around Star he's got to be feeling some buyer's remorse over heading off to Mewni half-cocked.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Marco becoming more recklessly adventure-hungry while Star grows into a thoughtful diplomat is certainly not what you'd expect from watching the first episode.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cran posted:

Marco becoming more recklessly adventure-hungry while Star grows into a thoughtful diplomat is certainly not what you'd expect from watching the first episode.

I just rewatched the first season along with some friends I convinced to try out the show, and it is shocking just how much it's changed. While the first season episodes aren't terrible,, most are pretty formulaic, a few are just outright bad (I skipped Lobster Claws in particular with a vengeance), and only a handful like Mewberty and Blood Moon Ball give any indication that the show would grow beyond Ludo's attack or Star's misunderstanding of the week.

And then Season 2 opens up with Ludo in the Wild and it's off to the fuckin' races.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 15, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
And with a hair under 2 weeks to go, we've finally got a promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PQ0drLdZ_o

Trial episode, Eclipsa/Meteora backstory, return of the Truth or Punishment box from Sleepover, and Ludo's rocking a goddamn burnside.

Last half of this season is gonna be a loving ride.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 18, 2018

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Trial episode, Eclipsa/Meteora backstory, return of the Truth or Punishment box from Sleepover, and Ludo's rocking a goddamn burnside.

Trial by Box, oh dear.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm hoping that if/when we see Meteora's complete form it will be somewhat surprising. Currently Heinous has a hairy arm and that's it, but maybe once the rest of her matches she'll look somewhat interesting.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Short promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz82-0_JvgE

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

I couldn't make out the lyrics, but someone speculated that they are:

quote:

Dark is the hall beyond the picture

Oh where could there be light?

Not up, nor down, but three steps ‘round

(Hey, slow down!) Two doors down

Torches steer you right

So they might be... directions? Creepy either way for sure.

Also in other news, looks like the show's moving from Disney XD to the Disney Channel proper:

https://twitter.com/DisneyChannelPR/status/967067743542390784

quote:

Season 4 of Star vs. The Forces of Evil will follow teen princess from another dimension Star Butterfly (voiced by Eden Sher) and her best friend Marco Diaz (Adam McArthur) as they continue their adventures in Mewni and explore new dimensions. However, as things change in the royal palace Star will soon learn that running the kingdom is far more complicated than she once thought.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Kind of really obvious that Star blows off the chains at the end. I know they were going for "Is she going to shoot her?" sort of deal but come on, it's even aimed at them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Glad this show is continuing, moving things to Mewni opened up a lot of new possibilities. That season 4 teaser spoiler is pretty hype.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Yeah the implications there are pretty drat hefty. Looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ramos posted:

Kind of really obvious that Star blows off the chains at the end. I know they were going for "Is she going to shoot her?" sort of deal but come on, it's even aimed at them.
Maybe the opposite happens.
I'd be kinda surprised if it turns out Star does a cold blooded prisoner execution in the first episode. Eclipsa was just a motivation for Meteora to go insane.