Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Untrustable posted:

I feel like they're real scarce with the keys right now.

I'll second that, I signed up at the same time as about 14 friends on discord and so far I'm the only one who has got a key and I only got it tonight. Which may explain why matchmaking takes so long, and to think I moaned about Tarkov.

Also add that Alpha signups end Friday 1500 CET so if you have any friends that haven't signed up and may want to they need to do it quickly.

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

deported to Canada posted:

I'll second that, I signed up at the same time as about 14 friends on discord and so far I'm the only one who has got a key and I only got it tonight. Which may explain why matchmaking takes so long, and to think I moaned about Tarkov.

Barring playing at super unusual hours it's not the matchmaking that takes forever, it's the loading. There are plenty of people playing.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Orv posted:

Barring playing at super unusual hours it's not the matchmaking that takes forever, it's the loading. There are plenty of people playing.

Loading a map is only 50% successful based on what Orv and I experienced last night.

We also "owned the newbs" as the kids are saying these days.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Loading a map is only 50% successful based on what Orv and I experienced last night.

We also "owned the newbs" as the kids are saying these days.

I wasn't having any issues loading in last night but I had to run solo since no one else in the Discord wanted to play. I managed to be the first person to find the Butcher three times and killed him twice but I didn't make it out with the bounty either time. First was because of a hunter and the second time was because I stepped in some fire that was still on the floor after the Butcher died. I couldn't put it out in time. :(

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I gotta give kudos to the kid who spent 10 minutes methodically shooting and kiting the butcher to where he could not path. He was really persistent and brave to try that solo. Too bad about that trap door in the roof he didn't know was there. :murder:

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 11, 2018

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I gotta kid kudos to the kid who spent 10 minutes methodically shooting and kiting the butcher to where he could not path. He was really persistent and brave to try that solo. Too bad about that trap door in the roof he didn't know was there. :murder:

I love that fuckin trap door and a lot of people don't seem to know about it.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

My commiserations go to the two brave hunters who thought they could take the bounty and then proceed to run around the centre of the map in an attempt to lure fellow hunters to their quite obvious trap. After 10 minutes of uneventful behaviour from all concerned, they decided to extract to their eastern point and sit patiently by a boat for 10 seconds.

Ozone and I were in the bushes with dynamite. We had been waiting.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is this necessarily a PVP game? I think I'd much prefer something closer to victorian fantasy Evolve.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bogart posted:

Is this necessarily a PVP game? I think I'd much prefer something closer to victorian fantasy Evolve.

Pretty much. The PvE is basically there to facilitate the players coming together to PvP.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Bummer. Oh well. Hope springs eternal.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I got a key. Thanks, Tinfoil!
anyway I'm excited to shoot monsters and also people

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Story from Ozone and my playthrough last night:

We spawned up by the lake, waste a couple of dudes farting around. Every exit on this map is on the east side, two SE and one mid east. We grab 2 clues before the banishment starts, all the way toward the SW, so we begin positioning ourselves on the map to intercept an exit.

We ran across a couple of guys who tried to get the jump on us, managed to kill them both with some well placed shots from the Sparks and Ozone's explosives - of which he's very good at.

By this point a bounty is being moved by a solo guy through the southern edge of the map. We track him down and I rail him through the back with the Sparks and we pick up the bounty.

While we are doing this, another solo guy has grabbed the 2nd bounty. He can see where I am on the map, so he starts slogging north to cut back east - figuring we were heading out the exits SE anyway.

This poor bastard makes it halfway across the map before he sees that I didn't exit, that I'm heading north to intercept him. I wish I could of seen is face as he watches the little lightning bolt move in front of his path and start toward him.

He begins to BACKTRACK all the way SE again, highlighting how timid people can be in this game.

Ozone and I split up, he heads straight south (he is invisible on the map) and I head mid-map. The guy now cuts back east knowing that I won't be able to catch up with him, right into Ozone's path.

Ozone shoots him dead in the middle of a field.

I like this game.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Game is a blast. Just need to fix the performance issues.

Also after a round with Ozone where we killed everyone and the spider and extracted succesfully, this is me:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Inside Out Mom posted:

Game is a blast. Just need to fix the performance issues.

Also after a round with Ozone where we killed everyone and the spider and extracted succesfully, this is me:

I used this tactic yesterday. If you get a stick of dynamite anywhere NEAR somebody - they are dead.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I used this tactic yesterday. If you get a stick of dynamite anywhere NEAR somebody - they are dead.

We found one exception. We chucked one at a team that was extracting. It was like 3 ft from one of them, made the injured sound, but they were both able to extract. :iiam::

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Dungeons&DragQueens has sorted out the Discord (OP) to give hunters their safe space, post in #roll-requests for hunter chat permissions. Come join us!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Nothing as satisfying as hearing a gunshot, seeing a muzzle flash and then yelling "Tallyho fuckers!" As you throw a stick of dynamite at them.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Yeah, this isn't true anymore. Just today I've hit 3 people with dynamite without killing them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, this isn't true anymore. Just today I've hit 3 people with dynamite without killing them.

Depending on what kind of damage dynamite applies, Hornskin is now available and might be incorrectly reducing dynamite damage by 50%.

Or they just nerfed it. Both are pretty possible.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Untrustable posted:

Nothing as satisfying as hearing a gunshot, seeing a muzzle flash and then yelling "Tallyho fuckers!" As you throw a stick of dynamite at them.

my experience is usually a gunshot and then a face full of dirt

also I managed to solo the spider when it got caught on some stairs. camped the trophy for five mins and waltzed to freedom.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sticky Nate posted:

my experience is usually a gunshot and then a face full of dirt

also I managed to solo the spider when it got caught on some stairs. camped the trophy for five mins and waltzed to freedom.

Oh trust me I eat dirt far more often than not. Though dying in this game isn't bad. Just hire another hunter and away you go. I've become a huge fan of the M1895 suppressed. Not for other players but for the shambling monsters roaming the countryside. I tried using it on another player and hit him 5 times in the back and he turned around and blew my face off with a handcannon.

I really like how you can't have just a pvp build or just a pve build. You have to figure what works for both and that is part of the fun.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Untrustable posted:

I really like how you can't have just a pvp build or just a pve build. You have to figure what works for both and that is part of the fun.

The answer is a knife. A knife solves this dilemma.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Knuckle duster and dynamite are my problem solvers.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sard posted:

The answer is a knife. A knife solves this dilemma.

Knives are for suckers.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Why would I take a knife when I can punch everything to death except the boss and meatheads?

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

who needs a knife when you can pick up a sledgehammer or an axe? they're just lying around the map!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I was opening the door to a shack when I heard a rifle shot behind me so I shut the door and grabbed the sledgehammer sitting on a box. When the other player opened the door I rushed out to where I thought they were at swinging the sledge wildly. I was shot in the back and died.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The one thing I really like about this game is that the high lethality of the weapons means that your success in beating other hunters depends more on how, when, and where you take engagements rather than your "skill" per se. It's more about your tactics and approach to the situation as opposed to landing every headshot.

Every time I have died it has been because I made a poor tactical choice in my positioning, how I engaged, or I was not being cautious in my movements. "The other guy outshooting me" accounts for a very small number of deaths, at least in my experiences.

Last night Ozone and I stalked up to the boss, after hearing first a shitload of weapon fire and explosions, then dead silence. We correctly suspected that a group had got the boss down to low HP - then disengaged and were waiting to kill people who came in to make an attempt.

After some patient scouting, we saw both of them peering out from the upper story of a barn. I positioned myself inside a small house with a window looking up to an opening in the barn, while Ozone went further west out of their direct LOS.

Ozone made some noise killing a zombie, which brought one of the guys out a bit as he was trying to find Ozone. I railed him through the head and see his buddy run to the back of the barn. Ozone quickly tossed a stick of dynamite up there and we got a very easy boss and bounty.

Another example of patience and strategy paying off - even when another team has seemingly the "upper hand."

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Don't forget the guy at Scupper Lake.

We were in a shootout with someone hiding in the attic of one of the submerged houses and while Tinfoil managed to hit him a couple of times, none of my shots were connecting even when he was standing perfectly still. We were in the open with some bushes as cover and I had to reload so I turned and ran to some hard cover. When I came back, he had crawled out of the house and was in the water where I saw him get shot in the back and downed by another player. I never saw the other player.

We spent about 15 minutes slowly circling around the east and north sides of the lake until we were sure he wasn't in the woods nearby and found a spot with a good line of sight on the entire lake. Tinfoil posted up and I ran out into the water towards the building with the boss to draw him out of hiding. He, pretty predictably, ran out to shoot who he thought was a solo player in the back, only to have Tinfoil shooting him from behind. Tinfoil hit him a couple of times but didn't down him and he must've realized that we were a team that just set him up because he ran off and we never saw him again. In the meantime, I had killed the boss, who hadn't even been shot prior, and was banishing by the time Tinfoil returned from trying to chase him down.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 15, 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Couldn't get a game at all today post-patch. Game just froze at the search for match screen. Such is the nature of an alpha build.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

They're having a lot of issues with this patch but are trying to get a patch out tomorrow to fix them. There's a memory leak, sometimes it crashes when you use Dark Sight, and sometimes it crashes when you fight a zombie, to name a few. I lost 5 or 6 hunters in a row to crashes.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
People are EXTREMELY cautious after the bloodline / hunter reset. Almost all solo players, almost all are crouching 100% of the time and moving quietly.

Got a couple games in, 2 bounties, 2 kills, 0 deaths.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Just got the email saying I’m in this alpha. I’m a bit nervous about ping since I play from Asia, but I’ll see how it goes when I get back to my computer tonight.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Best of luck. Today I've actually gotten into a couple games. I'm noticing that I'm being killed pretty quickly into rounds though. Like just crouchin through the swamp and then I'm dead. I need more time in this game but it crashes more often than it plays. Still excited for full release.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How’s the performance been for you guys? I have a 1070 and one of the newer Intel chips, but it’s an alpha...

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Pirate Radar posted:

How’s the performance been for you guys? I have a 1070 and one of the newer Intel chips, but it’s an alpha...

I have an i5 2500k oc'd @ 4.3gHz and a 1070. I get between 30 and 60 fps depending on what's happening. They have a lot of optimization to do on this, but you can still have a blast.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Inside Out Mom posted:

I have an i5 2500k oc'd @ 4.3gHz and a 1070. I get between 30 and 60 fps depending on what's happening. They have a lot of optimization to do on this, but you can still have a blast.

Just don't trust Dungeons when he claims he killed a man. That man may in fact still be very much alive and surprise you like Swamp Thing.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

I have 6600k @ 4.6GHz and a 1070 and get 45-60fps on high settings most of the time.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Just don't trust Dungeons when he claims he killed a man. That man may in fact still be very much alive and surprise you like Swamp Thing.

Hey, we got into a shootout with 3 people at once earlier and he killed the last 2 and revived me so he's good in my book.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I get him when he's drunk, which makes it worth it for entertainment value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Ozone and I figured out my primary issue. Been trying to record while playing and that tanks my performance. Turning it off enabled me to land shots and not deal with Hunt: Powerpoint Presentation. Tinfoil, I'll be up for some redemption later today.