Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Welcome to my new Let's Play! I hope you'll join me on my journey through one of my favourite games this year.

What is this game?

Get Even is an FPS about the nature of memories. We will be playing as Cole Black, a man who at the start of the story tried to save a girl from kidnappers, and now he must explore his memories to try to find out who she was, who she was to him, and why he was even there in the first place. It was released mid-2017, and it's release date had to be pushed back a few months due to the Manchester Arena bombing attack.

The events of the story take place near Birmingham, UK, but the company that made it, The Farm 51, are Polish, and made the 2012 version of Painkiller amongst other games.

Why this game?

This is perhaps my favourite game released this year, it has a great story, likable characters and a fun mechanical gimmick. Also the music and sense of rhythm is amazing, especially later on.

Spoiler Policy

No Spoilers. This is a very plot-heavy game and spoilers would wreck the anticipation. Speculation is fair game, but if you know what's coming please keep quiet about it.
There is one exception, because the game's subtitles reveal it themselves from the start, and that is the first name of our kidnapping victim. Anything else, please wait for the game to reveal it first.

Videos:
The Audit
Get Even Part 1: The Set Up.
Get Even Part 2: The Man from Lithurst Asylum, Building B, Part 1.
Get Even Part 3: ADS Infiltration.
Get Even Part 4: The Man from Lithurst Asylum, Building B, Part 2
Get Even Part 5: Introducing Jasper.
Get Even Part 6: Jasper's Dying Minutes.
Get Even Part 7: Moving from Building B to Building C.
Get Even Part 8: Rose and Jasper.
Get Even Part 9: Meeting with Rose.
Get Even Part 10: The Party
Get Even Part 11: The Offer

The Review
Get Even Part 12: Review - The Kidnapping
Get Even Part 13: Review - Jasper's Dying Minutes
Get Even Part 14: Review - Meeting with Rose
Get Even Part 15: Review - The Offer + Good Ending

Get Even Bonus 1 - Secrets in The Kidnapping, A Job for Robert Ramsey, and The Victim.
Get Even Bonus 2 - Secrets in Jasper's Final Minutes, Meeting with Rose and Jasper, and The Meeting.
Get Even Bonus 3 - Final optional Cutscenes/Final weapon.

Get Even Bad Ending Run 1 - Asylum Misbehaviour.
Get Even Bad Ending Run 2 - Interesting changes in the Levels.
Get Even: The Bad Ending

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reserved Post, just in case

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 2: The Man from Lithurst Asylum, Building B, Part 1.

In which the game properly starts, and we get an idea of the flow of the game from now onwards.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
This seems interesting, will definitely follow. :)
A note, it might just be me, but your commentary is a quite a bit louder than the game audio, which makes me have to turn the volume down until I can barely hear the game, which is a bit unfortunate. Would it be possible to turn the game up a bit without too much trouble for you?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

For future videos, I'll only bump the game audio and see if that helps. It seemed a bit quiet at first, but then I tried to equalise the commentary too and overcompensated.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Certainly seems interesting. Getting a condemned criminal origins vibe from it. Wandering around abandoned locals with a fancy pants phone.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 3: ADS Infiltration.

This is the level that made me fall in love with this game's sound design.

I'm hoping that this level has better audio balance - it recorded kind of quiet, so I boosted the hell out of the game audio so hopefully it won't be fighting my commentary for dominance. Did I go too far in the other direction, or is this fine now?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Sound is much better, thank you!

I really like the protagonist's voice, that gruff voice with a Yorkshire accent. I do wonder, since it's in Birmingham, if we'll hear a proper Brummie one in this game. Although wait, the guards might be speaking in one? As a Swede, I am not great at picking them out if they aren't very distinct.

Also, on the subject of voices, wonder if there is a significance to Red's voice morphing into a female one at times...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 4: The Man from Lithurst Asylum, Building B, Part 2

The Asylum inmates are excited about something...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does your phone ever run out of charge?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well this is interesting and very bizarre.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 5: Introducing Jasper Prado.

I skipped a week because the beginning of this month was obscenely busy at work so I was tired.

This is one of my favourite early levels, and the introduction of one of our players. Enjoy!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 6: Jasper's Dying Minutes.

We see how the warehouse really got put together, and have the shortest Asylum section ever.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 7: Moving from Building B to Building C.

This episode contains the most traditionally atmospheric 30 seconds in the entire game between the buildings and I love it for that. That area is the only area in the entire game that actually spooks me.

Also I appreciate that this episode shows the characters being fairly intelligent, especially Black - the game does a good job letting the characters put the most obvious twists together at roughly the same rate, although maybe slightly slower, as the player. Of course, you never know until the evidence is presented whether their suspicions are with merit. I guess we'll find out, won't we?

Edit: Also, that sound cue between the buildings really is that quiet - it's more noticeable in my living room but still audible in the vids, although if it is too quiet I can boost the audio and reupload.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 27, 2018

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Since the comments have been pretty sparse I just wanted to post to say that I'm quite enjoying things so far and look forward to getting more pieces of the puzzle as we go on.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Are you going to show off what happens if you do in fact look behind you during that section and other differences?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

cokerpilot posted:

Are you going to show off what happens if you do in fact look behind you during that section and other differences?

As I said, the big differences will be shown off - I will be showing both endings and will record the biggest differences between screwing up the puzzles/making bad decisions as part of that. Most of the interesting stuff is in "The Man at Lithurst Asylum" levels.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 8: Meeting Between Rose and Jasper.

In this episode... I miss a collectible like an idiot - but I know what it is, so it's just a matter of finding it when showing off what 100%ing the levels gets you. That will be coming after the next level due to some of it being story stuff that can get a little spoilery, so I prefer to let you meet the characters and know how they connect before showing off aspects of the story not intended for an initial run.

In other news, I get confused by a weird text message - in hindsight I think it's actually referring to Cole Black's tenuous record before Robert hired him, as described in the notes at the start of the game. Also we see why Grace is such a likable character for me.

I hope you enjoy this plot-heavy update. :)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 9: Meeting with Rose.

In this episode I show off my favourite level in the game - I love the sound design here, the usage of Signal Bars is really well done. It is one of the hardest levels though because it is heavily stealth reliant and there are a lot of enemies in tightly packed corridors. As a result, if you get seen at a bad time you will very likely die.

Get Even Bonus 1 - Secrets in The Kidnapping, A Job for Robert Ramsey, and The Victim.

This is the first of three bonus videos showing off what the codes do - each level has a door hidden in it with a keypad, and entering the code for finding all the evidence in that level opens it - inside that door is a bonus cutscene, voice only, some of them insightful, some funny and a weapon that shows up in one of the formerly empty cases in the Armoury. I also show of a great visual cue if you look straight up in the Bunker - it's quite striking.

How does everyone feel about the games use of visual metaphor and audio cues? I found it clever and fun despite being fairly on the nose at times, especially this level here.

I'm glad everyone's enjoying this so far, but the rollercoaster is just peaking. Look forward to the rest of the ride.

finally, here is Signal Bars in it's full glory, through polsy as the comments are quite spoilery: Signal Bars by Mummer ft. Fiona J

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 4, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 10: The Party

Book your Karaoke slot, grab a drink and enjoy the show - it's time for The Party... A Party... For Puppetman!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 11: The Meeting

Here we go, for the final unique level of the game - but I never said that it was over, now did I?

I really like the way that the character switch is done, as Red gets sick of Black's excuses and lays all his cards on the table - now we are done playing softball, as the next part of the game is combing through the most nonsensical memories to extract what really happened.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Bonus 2 - Secrets in Jasper's Final Minutes, Meeting with Rose and Jasper, and The Meeting.

This set of optional scenes contains my personal favourite conversation - how Lenore and Robert met. I think it's pretty cute and funny.

I hope everyone's still enjoying this LP so far, because I've been enjoying making it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
This is a weird game. It's not shooty enough for an action game. It's not stealthy enough for a stealth game. And its not quite... puzzley? for a... Yeah i don't know. Something about it really bugs me, like there is not enough game in the game. But the design, the voice acting, the script and confused plot still keep me really interested.

I think I'd want to see Get Even as a mini series or a movie rather than a video game?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ah, I figured the asylum was probably fake but I didn't see the gameplay continuation coming.

But yeah,

Jade Star posted:

This is a weird game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Polsy posted:

Ah, I figured the asylum was probably fake but I didn't see the gameplay continuation coming.

But yeah,

They actually foreshadow that with one of the very first pieces of Asylum evidence - a newspaper mentions that the Asylum was part of the set of a movie called The Final Session - a reference to Session 9. It's likely all the tapes from the psychiatrist who kept cutting bits off of his patients were put there by Cole as he may have seen that movie himself, and that the psychiatrist was a character in that film.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 12: Review - The Kidnapping

Coie Black's audit has now concluded. All that remains is for Red to review the most distorted memories and try to piece things together properly - but first we need a baseline. This memory should be mostly identical to Black's experiences. This will make a nice baseline for reviewing the worse distortions. This should be easy... what could go wrong? :)

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Holy poo poo, this is being a trip!

edit: Also, it would appear that Black didn't kill Rose. Now I'm wondering what that was about.

azren fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 21, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 13: Review - Jasper's Dying Minutes

In which we learn the truth behind Jasper's execution.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 14: Review - Meeting with Rose

Lets find out just how this meeting really played out.

also, off topic but I've just started playing World to the West - super charming and fun game, well worth it. :)

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 3, 2018

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
I just watched through everything you've posted to date and I love it. If this were a mini series or the start of a series I would definitely watch it. The voice of Black sounds a lot like Sean Bean and in the exchange between Howard and Jasper, Howard sounds a lot like Sean Pertwee.

Kudos to the developers for having a UK location and UK voices. :monocle: :britain:
Really looking forward to the rest of the Red levels, they really help to bring it together in the same way that the original levels unfolded - piecemeal and in a really confusing way.

Shame that Rose doesn't really get a character developed outside of "nasty bitch" and (in the text) possible psychopath, she could have been a really strong character. Lenore got a great expansion in the Red levels, going from doormat to fed up wife.

Great find on this game and enjoying your commentary.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

THanks for your support! I think my favourite Lenore moment in the game is in the second batch of optional conversations that I uploaded, her first conversation with Robert Ramsey. That was cute :3:
"Oh... I'm biased."
"You're...?"
"Biased."
"Why are you biased?"
"Lenore Thomas. Pleasure to meet you."
"hehe..poo poo..."
"hmhm...Yes."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Part 15: Review - The Offer + Good Ending
Get Even Bonus 3 - Final optional Cutscenes/Final weapon.

The final level and the good ending are awaiting us in the first video, and in the second it's the optional cutscenes for "The Offer" and the Lithurst Asylum levels! Enjoy.

For after watching the ending:

I love that Grace survives and isn't just the victim, it's a twist that is fairly unexpected but given what we know about the tech is well foreshadowed. Seems that half of what Grace was yelling at us was actually aimed at her father...

The next vids will be the highlights of the Bad Ending path of the Asylum levels, as they diverge the most, and then the Bad Ending.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
Nice ending, it does wrap things up somewhat without a needlessly long monologue about how everything tied up. I would like to know how Grace survived the blast. But that's not really necessary. The bonus chapters do help to show how things tied together.

That said, since Black was originally so loyal to Ramsay, how did he go from that to plotting a fake kidnap? Surely not on the basis of that one conversation with Howard?

I'm quite looking forward to the "Bad" runthrough. You said back in video 1 that unnecessary killings punish you but you didn't say how. I'm guessing that this run will illustrate it all?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Was Black really that mad about being Red's hired goon to go all in on a harebrained kidnapping scheme? Something doesn't check out there

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was Black really that mad about being Red's hired goon to go all in on a harebrained kidnapping scheme? Something doesn't check out there

I think that the game is trying to say that he felt like he was under Red's thumb due to Red having a lot of intel on his postwar mercenary work - his initial job to steal the cornergun was before he became Ramsey's head of security, as the secret conversation mentioning that job says that Black will be paid, under the table, and then it will be like they never met. It appears that he was pleased enough with Blacks work he hired him to do it for him exclusively as "head of Security" to legitimize it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Bad Ending Run 1 - Asylum Misbehaviour.

The first video preparing the Screw Up Run. Most of the levels won't be touched because they don't really do anything, just get a line of dialog from Red saying (eg in the graveyard) "Don't treat this like a drat videogame!"

I will be doing an alternate puzzle solution in one level, and possibly showing Sparing Jared, but nothing else changes appreciably enough to bother with.

For this video, the courtyard didn't trigger properly - what is supposed to happen is Black sees a mannequin, goes "That wasn't there before..." and then the other mannequins come to life and need to be stealthed around. The trigger just didn't happen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even Bad Ending Run 2 - Interesting changes in the Levels.

Only one thing really changes in the levels, the fate of Jared, the other levels just give a little one-sentence rebuke from Red for messing up the stealth so aren't really worth it. Next comes the actual Bad Ending, so look forward to that!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Get Even: The Bad Ending

This will be the final update, the Bad Ending, although instead of Bad/Good I more consider it Vengeful/Thoughtful - in the Good Ending Grace and Robert take things in relative stride and Grace works towards a better future. In the bad ending, she stops Rose more decisively, but prevents the tech ever being used for good or evil.

If anyone has any final thoughts before the thread is submitted for archival, please let me know. I really enjoy this story, strengths and weaknesses both, and thought it was well told in the medium it had to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Had this bookmarked a while ago and just got through it now. I think it probably wasn't best to use yet another insane asylum as a setting for Black's section but other than that a pretty neat game. Really good music, not the typical kind you'd hear in a game, sound, and voice acting. Collecting all the evidence could be a bit of a hassle but at least its only tied to the weapon bonuses and some optional conversations that aren't necessary but only expand what the player already knows. One insignificant quibble would be that I don't think something like the Corner Gun could be the single project that an entire multinational company could be built around but eh, details.

Part of me wonders if there's an intentional symbolism in Black's sections - if it is actually Black going through them in the game that is - being the main determining factor which end you get. In that he still is the cause of everything in the end despite being (twice) dead.

Anyways thanks for showing this. I hadn't even heard of it before now.

• Locked thread