Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

You can't mention Gay Bar and not post the amazing music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulPgWVC08KI

I swear, this video of theirs and the one for "Danger! High Voltage!" were two that I first saw when I was drunk, and I looked over and asked my wife, "Did I just dream that?" for both videos.

Edit: holy crap, I found the censored video! Now... have a gander and tell me that the whipping sounds don't make this song sound inherently naughtier. And while you're at it, try to find the censor who thought the mere mention of a totally non-existent war, just the use of the word "war," was too racy and edgy in 2002, but literally everything else in the lyrics and video were A-OK. (I'm not saying anything bad about gays or gayness here--I'm just amazed that someone who deems the word "war" too dangerous wouldn't also be the kind of person who would be offended by "the Gay Agenda®.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IslF_EyhMzg

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You can't mention hilarious censorship without posting this masterpiece!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cJvDtF1ios

Prink...

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Or this collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcKBcZzGdA

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The really ironic bit is that Because I Got High is anti-drugs. (or at least that drugs shouldn't be your whole life)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

WampaLord posted:

You can't mention Gay Bar and not post the amazing music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulPgWVC08KI

This is the only music video I'm familiar with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW8lHtHFZKI

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Season 2 better have an actual musical number.

Actually scratch that, just a whole musical episode, that turns out to be the result of some literal alien earworm that induces dancing and singing in its victims and Isaac, being inorganic but also capable of replicating every high note, is called upon to stop them.

Either by singing Friday, or something less copyrighted.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

evilmiera posted:

Season 2 better have an actual musical number.

Actually scratch that, just a whole musical episode, that turns out to be the result of some literal alien earworm that induces dancing and singing in its victims

So that one Buffy episode, but in space?

...Yeah, okay. I'm down with that.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

TheCenturion posted:

Define “do better.”

“Ok, so the doctor discovers that the patient has undergone surgical alteration and is a sleeper mole. The agent kills the doctor and goes about his evil plans. The doctor’s husband senses this loss, comes out of his coma and is grief stricken. Later on, he’s forced to interact with the now deprogrammed sleeper, and drama ensues.”

The gender of the doctor should be meaningless here. This isn’t “doctor reveals gay feelings, then gets killed as karmic retribution.” This is “standard television drama, and the sexuality of the characters is utterly irrelevant,” which to my mind, is as it should be.

As I understand, the problem wasn't that plot in and of itself - it was that Star Trek's first and only same-sex couple lasted for only a few episodes. No matter the cause of death, a lot of people would inevitably be not okay with that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

As I understand, the problem wasn't that plot in and of itself - it was that Star Trek's first and only same-sex couple lasted for only a few episodes. No matter the cause of death, a lot of people would inevitably be not okay with that.

So you didn't watch Beyond?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It wasn't even Star Trek's first same sex couple.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tunicate posted:

So you didn't watch Beyond?

If you sneezed at the wrong time you could miss the relevant part. Real brave, that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TheCenturion posted:

Define “do better.”

“Ok, so the doctor discovers that the patient has undergone surgical alteration and is a sleeper mole. The agent kills the doctor and goes about his evil plans. The doctor’s husband senses this loss, comes out of his coma and is grief stricken. Later on, he’s forced to interact with the now deprogrammed sleeper, and drama ensues.”

The gender of the doctor should be meaningless here. This isn’t “doctor reveals gay feelings, then gets killed as karmic retribution.” This is “standard television drama, and the sexuality of the characters is utterly irrelevant,” which to my mind, is as it should be.

I totally agree.

Saying "we should do better" is like saying "thoughts and prayers," now that I think about it.

I would like for LBGT representation in media to become normalized so that the scenario above can happen more often in general, I guess.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

It wasn't even Star Trek's first same sex couple.

What? Next thing you'll try to tell me is that Discovery doesn't have the first black lead actor!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Astroman posted:

What? Next thing you'll try to tell me is that Discovery doesn't have the first black lead actor!

... who they killed off, by the way. Not even a fun death fit for a funeral, either; he just vanished.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

tarlibone posted:

... who they killed off, by the way. Not even a fun death fit for a funeral, either; he just vanished.

what the gently caress?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Koalas March posted:

what the gently caress?

He’s talking about Captain Benjamin Sisko, who’s end is.... confusing.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

VanSandman posted:

He’s talking about Captain Benjamin Sisko, who’s end is.... confusing.

Ohh I though he was talking about Disco, but that makes more sense. Sisko's end was something all right.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Sisko didn't really vanish, and(at the actor's urging towards the writing staff) he said that he would be back soon. The books(not that they are canon) say that he returned in time for the birth of his kid.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, of all things Trek what I want most is a wrap up of the Sisko story. It would actually be cool to see an obsessive Jake (like in the one episode with an alternate future) searching for his dad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think Jake being obsessive in post DS9 would feel weird because he both literally and metaphorically couldn’t let go of his dad in The Visitor. Jake’s ending in DS9 is much more.. I don’t know, healthy?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

tarlibone posted:

This kind of nonsense is everywhere, to be fair. I mean, I can still remember seeing the video for "Gay Bar" by Electric Six for the first time. It's crazy and funny. Then I saw it again, not too long later. It was on some TV channel that was still playing music, but not MTV (I know, hardy-har-har). So nothing visual in the video is censored--you still have a bunch of Abe Lincolns in hotpants--but the words "war" and "nuclear war" are replaced with whip sounds. Thanks to this arbitrary bit of censorship, we're left with these pristine lyrics that could offer offense to naught the daintiest of babies' ears....:

At least in the UK those lines were "Let's do an edit. Do a radio edit. AT THE GAY BAR". And that was much funnier than a whip crack would be.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I’d just like to say the wife and I just binged this show on Hulu and enjoyed it. We are excited for next season.

I think it will be more enjoyable week to week, since it’s not serial binging is not as much fun.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kibayasu posted:

I think Jake being obsessive in post DS9 would feel weird because he both literally and metaphorically couldn’t let go of his dad in The Visitor. Jake’s ending in DS9 is much more.. I don’t know, healthy?

But its not like there is a big difference in the characters and circumstances of his fathers disappearance. There is nothing to that demonstrates Jake would respond differently from one situation to the next.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

swickles posted:

But its not like there is a big difference in the characters and circumstances of his fathers disappearance. There is nothing to that demonstrates Jake would respond differently from one situation to the next.

In The Visitor, Sisko was sucked into some kind of time hole with no explanation whatsoever, hence Jake's obsession.

By the end of the series, Jake had grown up quite a bit more (he was on the station during the Dominion occupation), had Cassidy Yates there and his half-brother on the way, and Sisko came to Cassidy and said he'd be back (which presumably she told Jake about). So there's no reason to believe that he'd go on some obsessive hunt trying to get him back under those circumstances.

What's weirder about the situation is that Sisko would visit Cassidy in a vision and not, well, his son. Maybe it could be rationalized that she needed the extra assurance because Jake better understood all the Prophets mumbo-jumbo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

At least in the UK those lines were "Let's do an edit. Do a radio edit. AT THE GAY BAR". And that was much funnier than a whip crack would be.

That is priceless.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Peachfart posted:

Sisko didn't really vanish, and(at the actor's urging towards the writing staff) he said that he would be back soon. The books(not that they are canon) say that he returned in time for the birth of his kid.

He's Space Jesus that exists outside of linear time, quite a bit different than dead or vanished. He can come back whenever he wants, it was even explicit in the show. He's just chilling inside a lens flare for a bit.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I agree it's a misstep that Sisko didn't come back for a goodbye with Jake but I don't think it clashes with The Visitor because as mentioned Jake had grown up and become much more independent by that point. Not that every series needs to bookend it's scenes but I think thematically ending the series with Jake and his Dad having a moment where they go different directions would have been appropriate.
I do like that Sisko didn't just fly off into the sunset to continue having wacky Star Trek episodes, he had very definitive conclusion, or at least unless you decide to dive into the book canon.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Season one of the Orville my hope was that it would be a new, fun Star Trek that told proper sci fi stories, without the humour being completely overbearing, and they smashed that.

Season two of the Orville my hope is that they lean further into the sci fi and do a bit of world-building with the setting. Turn the humour down a tiny bit more and let it flow naturally from the character interactions, and chill out with the constant 21st century pop culture references.

And I hope they get more confident with the stories about social issues stuff. On the rewatch one of the episodes I didn't really dig at the time, the one where Lamarr gets jailed on social-media-mob-justice planet, was actually really good second time around. I'm a massive Twitterati, SJW type but it does communicate pretty well that dumb, judgemental landsliding on people is a genuine thing that happens and it's not good guys, it's not good. The whole episode was a big obvious allegory for something I'm normally inclined to pretend isn't a real problem and that stuff doesn't have to be deftly done to be well done.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hope there's more humor in season 2 just to spite all the joyless assholes that can't handle a loving joke now and then

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I hope there's more humor in season 2 just to spite all the joyless assholes that can't handle a loving joke now and then

Same.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Agreed. It makes it feel more relatable to me. Nobody in any service talks about anything except dicks and farts. :colbert:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I don't mind having humor, I just wish there was less 20th/21st century reference humor, like "Haha this guys name sounds like this brand name product isn't that funny" gets pretty old after the 2nd time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There were some really funny jokes in Orville, like the whole thing with the leg or most of the stuff Bortus did.

It was just painfully obvious what was an organic funny joke that flowed with the scene, and what was Seth bringing everything to a halt so he could tell an unfunny joke and then bask in how bad and unfunny it was, like he deserved a cookie for being aware that his unfunny joke was unfunny.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

It was just painfully obvious what was an organic funny joke that flowed with the scene, and what was Seth bringing everything to a halt so he could tell an unfunny joke and then bask in how bad and unfunny it was, like he deserved a cookie for being aware that his unfunny joke was unfunny.

:emptyquote:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think anyone wants less humour in The Orville, just less forced *insert 21st century target audience joke here* and more stuff like the leg prank, stuff that naturally flows from the situations and characters.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gordon's whole thing is that he's a 21st century obsessive. pay attention to the circumstances of when our present day is referenced - it almost always involves gordon.

similarly, ed is really bad at humor and always goes for the dad jokes. that's a character trait that serves as a meta-joke rather than any of the jokes being funny by themselves.

maybe the show would be better with less of those things - i don't personally think so, but that's a matter of taste. but it is at least character-driven humor rather than being solely referential

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

counterfeitsaint posted:

There were some really funny jokes in Orville, like the whole thing with the leg or most of the stuff Bortus did.

Some were both. Like the uncomfortable elevator ride jokes. Everything stops so you can have this dumb elevator scene, but at the same time those elevator rides are part of the character's lives and we can relate to that.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some were both. Like the uncomfortable elevator ride jokes. Everything stops so you can have this dumb elevator scene, but at the same time those elevator rides are part of the character's lives and we can relate to that.

I like those scenes, but yeah, they could've been placed better/more sparingly.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Everything Bortus says is hilarious. The more elaborate jokes involving Isaac are also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jazerus posted:

gordon's whole thing is that he's a 21st century obsessive. pay attention to the circumstances of when our present day is referenced - it almost always involves gordon.

similarly, ed is really bad at humor and always goes for the dad jokes. that's a character trait that serves as a meta-joke rather than any of the jokes being funny by themselves.

maybe the show would be better with less of those things - i don't personally think so, but that's a matter of taste. but it is at least character-driven humor rather than being solely referential

It would be pretty funny if Gordon was the equivalent of an insufferable steampunk enthusiast. Instead of a thrift store pocket watch and overly ornate sunglasses he carries an iPod Shuffle in his breast pocket and uses a wrist watch while everybody else has that poo poo built into their contact lenses.