Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

I'm surprised this hasnt been brought up. so Toyota's WEC team asked that the date for Fuji be moved a week so that it wouldnt clash with the US F1 race so Alonso could do Fuji. WEC said yes but now Fuji and Petite Le Mans are the same loving weekend. What a bunch of idiots.

Even better, IMSA said stuff that poo poo in your tailpipe, we're not moving the PLM to accommodate one driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

orange juche posted:

Even better, IMSA said stuff that poo poo in your tailpipe, we're not moving the PLM to accommodate one driver.

Too be fair, Toyota isn't even in IMSA, whereas in WEC it is the sole manufacturer in the top tier.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Kilonum posted:

Too be fair, Toyota isn't even in IMSA, whereas in WEC it is the sole manufacturer in the top tier.

But on the other hand, have you considered, gently caress the WEC?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kilonum posted:

But now you have a large portion of your field whose schedules simply don't work because they have agreed to run both races. Drivers can't be in two places at once, either the Fuji leg is going to have a light field or PLM is going to be a light field.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

Also this. WEC can stuff it up its rear end. I love me the 24 hours of Le Mans, but the rest of the WEC schedule, along with its race series, can eat poo poo.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Basticle posted:

orange juche posted:

Also this. WEC can stuff it up its rear end. I love me the 24 hours of Le Mans, but the rest of the WEC schedule, along with its race series, can eat poo poo.

At the moment, WEC is running real close to losing it's last remaining top tier manufacturer. They're hoping the spike in attention from Nandomania will be enough to maybe convince someone else that it's time to look at jumping in (without having to bend over backwards to accommodate Peugeot's relentless desire to stay rooted in the 80s, when they were actually a good car manufacturer).
When Toyota crashes out of Le Mans again it's gonna backfire and LMP is gonna die the death that's been hanging over it for the last 4 years. I seriously doubt DPI is genuinely attractive to the Euro manufacturers, but I've been wrong at every stage of this stupid "will they won't they" saga so far so let's see if I can go 5/5.

All that was the lead in to this:
Until 2020 when Toyota pulls out and LMP1 is entirely privateer, the ACO and WEC are gonna do what they're gonna do and IMSA is just gonna have to deal. If IMSA doesn't want to move PLM, that's on them but "gently caress WEC" is a real dumb position to take when it's coming from the bastion of "go IMSA!". Ultimately, when Toyota do pull out, Le Mans is sliding back into another dark age where the money going into Endurance racing is gonna crater again, which will flow into the number of people who give a poo poo about Endurance racing again. And that's bad for every racing fan.
But hey, maybe we'll get good WRC again.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I'll say the same thing I said in the F1 thread which is that it's not that insane for the only manufacturer in a series that signs an A-list driver (that wouldn't normally drive in something as crappy as the WEC) to want that driver to be in their home race at the circuit they own. It's sucks that there has to be a conflict but that always happens in motorsports, I don't blame Toyota or WEC for doing this. The sport and all the drivers in the field are gonna get way more publicity doing one Alonso weekend than they will by doing two non Alonso weekends.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
I can't fault the WEC for prioritising their interests, and the interests of one of their manufacturers and the owners of a major circuit in their calendar, over the interests of another series.

If Cadillac called up IMSA tomorrow and asked them to move a race and it wound up causing a clash with the WEC they would do it in a heartbeat, and most of the people complaining about this would be applauding them for putting their own interests first.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Basticle posted:

I'm surprised this hasnt been brought up. so Toyota's WEC team asked that the date for Fuji be moved a week so that it wouldnt clash with the US F1 race so Alonso could do Fuji. WEC said yes but now Fuji and Petite Le Mans are the same loving weekend. What a bunch of idiots.

Not only that, but the new date clashes with a Super GT race, which screws over two of Toyota’s own drivers! (Kaz and Kamui will have to miss the SuperGT race just so Alonso can make it to Fuji.)

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
It's logical for the WEC to do this in terms of desperation to keep eyes on the series, but it's going to piss off a lot of the other teams that show up to race. They're so desperate to avoid alienating Toyota that they're going to alienate several other drivers and teams instead, which may not be as instantly disastrous, but is still terrible for the long-term health of the WEC. I know a lot of teams still have their grievances with IMSA but the FIA-ACO seems to go out of its way to piss people off and that's not going to entice teams to stick around.

I guess there must be enough fans who think differently but I personally could not give any less of a poo poo about Alonso at Fuji. Toyota hiring F1 talent to beat up on a bunch of privateers between sitting red-flagged for rain is not my idea of an especially interesting race.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Forget driver clashes, there are going to be teams that run PLM that now can't.

And they're announcing it after those teams will have committed to the NAEC and indeed, ran the first race of it.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

an oddly awful oud posted:

It's logical for the WEC to do this in terms of desperation to keep eyes on the series, but it's going to piss off a lot of the other teams that show up to race. They're so desperate to avoid alienating Toyota that they're going to alienate several other drivers and teams instead, which may not be as instantly disastrous, but is still terrible for the long-term health of the WEC. I know a lot of teams still have their grievances with IMSA but the FIA-ACO seems to go out of its way to piss people off and that's not going to entice teams to stick around.

I guess there must be enough fans who think differently but I personally could not give any less of a poo poo about Alonso at Fuji. Toyota hiring F1 talent to beat up on a bunch of privateers between sitting red-flagged for rain is not my idea of an especially interesting race.

Yeah, I wouldn't have ever watched Fuji unless Alonso was there but if its the same time as PLM then I'm still not loving watching.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I love Alonso, but he's not worth this on his own. This is going to royally gently caress a lot of teams and drivers, all so Toyota can try to be relevant in a series and class that they basically killed.

I hope his engine dies at hour 23.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PP6nQo7CBo
:stonk:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

eh, pretty tame for a dragster crash tbh

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't have ever watched Fuji unless Alonso was there but if its the same time as PLM then I'm still not loving watching.

You wouldn’t be watching anyways, the usual schedule from past years has the Fuji 6 Hours starting after 11 pm Saturday night eastern time.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

I love Alonso, but he's not worth this on his own. This is going to royally gently caress a lot of teams and drivers, all so Toyota can try to be relevant in a series and class that they basically killed.

I hope his engine dies at hour 23.

Toyota didn't kill LMP1, Volkswagen-Audi killed it.
Toyota's already relevant, they're the only team with a genuine "if nothing goes wrong" chance of winning Le Mans - the only endurance race 90% of the racing fan community cares about.
As I said earlier, to the ACO and the FIA the off chance that Nando in WEC for two seasons might remind someone (say, Peugeot) that Le Mans is worth winning over the cost of WEC is absolutely worth the cost of pissing off a bunch of small fry teams and 2nd tier drivers.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

The fact that she didn't lift until it was way past well and truly uncontrollably gone is a testament to the chutzpah she's got.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The fact that she didn't lift until it was way past well and truly uncontrollably gone is a testament to the chutzpah she's got.

Yeah but women and their strong survival instincts are why they'll never make it in racing - somebody in the F1 thread a few weeks back.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

gret posted:

Yeah but women and their strong survival instincts are why they'll never make it in racing - somebody in the F1 thread a few weeks back.

Yeah, that was me, but I actually simply recited what Ellen Lohr said in an interview regarding that matter. She also didn't say that women will never make it in racing, she said that from her experience while coaching both female and male drivers, men tend to ignore survival instincts easier than women.

I can't weigh in on that, as I never coached any racing drivers of any gender, so who knows?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tuo posted:

Yeah, that was me, but I actually simply recited what Ellen Lohr said in an interview regarding that matter. She also didn't say that women will never make it in racing, she said that from her experience while coaching both female and male drivers, men tend to ignore survival instincts easier than women.

I can't weigh in on that, as I never coached any racing drivers of any gender, so who knows?

Brittany Force might know.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

tuo posted:

It's a nature vs nurture question that gets turned into a biotruths issue.

Racing is one of a few sports that women really are equally as capable as men, in every aspect. The time has just never been put into developing them, or allowing that urge to blossom from a young age and nurturing it as it goes.

Anecdotal, but put a 5 year old girl in a go kart or on a quad or dirtbike. They'll do the same poo poo as a boy. Difference is when they hit a certain age, and society/parents/peers say that they need to stop, because it isn't lady like or whatever the gently caress.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gret posted:

tuo posted:

wicka posted:

Brittany Force might know.

iwentdoodie posted:

It's a nature vs nurture question that gets turned into a biotruths issue.

Racing is one of a few sports that women really are equally as capable as men, in every aspect. The time has just never been put into developing them, or allowing that urge to blossom from a young age and nurturing it as it goes.

Anecdotal, but put a 5 year old girl in a go kart or on a quad or dirtbike. They'll do the same poo poo as a boy. Difference is when they hit a certain age, and society/parents/peers say that they need to stop, because it isn't lady like or whatever the gently caress.

there's a reason nobody reads the f1 thread, thanks in advance

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut, on some days, if you try really hard, I bet you can avoid stirring some poo poo up for no drat reason.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tuo posted:

lmao

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

This is the real reason girls struggle to succeed in motorsports. If you put anybody into any sort of competitive situation where they're the odd one out for whatever reason and its going to be psychologically very difficult to break down that wall and convince themselves that its not a handicap. the whole survival instinct thing is loving bullshit when you look at how Mouton was literally one of the most successful drivers in the most dangerous era of rally.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
as a male i beg for death on a daily basis

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

OhsH posted:

Is that a metaphor?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

OhsH posted:

I can fulfill that dream fucker :twisted:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Even in more recent racing Katherine Legge goes full kamikaze when pissed off so in conclusion, motorsport is a land of contrasts

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3nD0uUf4ww

ARCA brakes to rival iRacing street stock quality racing

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
if lance strolls sister said 'race car driver' at 5 when she was asked what she wanted to do when she grows up she would be in the seat instead of him

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

an oddly awful oud posted:

Even in more recent racing Katherine Legge goes full kamikaze when pissed off so in conclusion, motorsport is a land of contrasts

She is also an absolute joy to talk to. I wish she had half the fame of Danica.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Katherine Legge episode of dinner with racers was hilarious.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

drgitlin posted:

Not only that, but the new date clashes with a Super GT race, which screws over two of Toyota’s own drivers! (Kaz and Kamui will have to miss the SuperGT race just so Alonso can make it to Fuji.)

Yeah about that...they're changing their dates as well. The racing world bends so Alonso can hotlap a Toyota for 2 hours.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Alonsowns

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i love alonso but now i hope his engine blows up at 23hrs at lemans and he doesnt even show up to the Fuji race at all

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cygni posted:

i love alonso but now i hope his engine blows up at 23hrs at lemans and he doesnt even show up to the Fuji race at all

Think of the old Toyota engineer, man.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

The Katherine Legge episode of dinner with racers was hilarious.

I'm vacillating between telling you to "keep going at full speed" and to relax and enjoy it at a leisurely pace, but if you're still in season 1, you've got some gems coming. Level 5 Special, Bill Riley, Tommy Kendall to name a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

julian assflange posted:

Think of the old Toyota engineer, man.

I hope he's the one who adjusts the tune so it blows.