Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You could still have more Clara with Capaldi, but I’d just have one season. Bill deserved more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Just one season would mean sacrificing Last Christmas or Heaven Sent/Hell Bent. Not worth it. Let's just have more Capaldi instead

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You could still have Last Christmas? But yeah, Heaven Sent wouldn’t have the same weight, true.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't get the Last Christmas hatred. I really like it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really like Last Christmas, and thought that was the thread consensus? :confused:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I really like Last Christmas, and thought that was the thread consensus? :confused:

Ah, I misread your post as "You would still have last Christmas?" as in "Do you really want to save that one?"

Hang on, let's consult the chart for what our hostile hivemind will say to newcomers when they watch it for the first time. Is this one of the shibboleth episodes? :ninja:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Ah, I misread your post as "You would still have last Christmas?" as in "Do you really want to save that one?"

Hang on, let's consult the chart for what our hostile hivemind will say to newcomers when they watch it for the first time. Is this one of the shibboleth episodes? :ninja:

It's one of those episodes that people love/hate/think is merely okay, unlike the other Christmas specials, where the universal consensus is that they are amazing/terrible/merely okay.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
While I haven't been minding Season 9 as much, man it seems to be disliked a lot going by the Jerusalem reviews.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yes, many incorrect people do dislike Season 9.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

While I haven't been minding Season 9 as much, man it seems to be disliked a lot going by the Jerusalem reviews.

Here's the secret to Doctor Who

Don't give a poo poo what other people think because no one agrees.

No one even agrees on why they like or DON'T like certain things.

I'm sure some one somewhere out there doesn't like Power of the Daleks

And that's fine

Just like what you like and don't like what you don't

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

I'm sure some one somewhere out there doesn't like Power of the Daleks

And that's fine

Refuse to believe.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That a good point. Hasn't really been any revival episode in the revival for me, even through been episodes that could been really good but they made some mistakes which made them forgettable at best. That said, did Season 9 need to have almost nothing but two parters?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be fair, Last Christmas' ending was so patchy that you could easily cut the fakeout part and just have Clara die, so there's no need to sacrifice it, as The_Doctor pointed out. You could really tell how many times Moffat had to rewrite her exit by that point.

Speaking of Clara and the "first face I ever saw" theming that started with 10 and Rose... I really hope that Chibnall drops that stuff. I mean, I don't even hate the dynamic, but we've seen so many variants of the Doctor becoming unhealthily attached to a person and being unable to cope with loss in a short span of time, that I think that thematic wellspring has run dry.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Doctor will break all the laws of time to save Clara but not Donna or his goddamn wife and mother-in-law

Also, it's real bullshit that he got his memories of Clara back. Turns out all they had to do was agree she eventually had to die and then nobody needed to lose their memories, and she could have hung around with him forever :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doctor Who fan [watching intently]: This show loving sucks.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Tomfan_photos/status/962385977892368385

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

corn in the bible posted:

The Doctor will break all the laws of time to save Clara but not Donna or his goddamn wife and mother-in-law

Also, it's real bullshit that he got his memories of Clara back. Turns out all they had to do was agree she eventually had to die and then nobody needed to lose their memories, and she could have hung around with him forever :shrug:

He probably can't shake the idea of really losing her after she been showing up since the very day he left for adventure and would constantly show up in some form.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rirse posted:

He probably can't shake the idea of really losing her after she been showing up since the very day he left for adventure and would constantly show up in some form.

Ok, yes, that was the reason they gave. But now he does remember? So I guess it was a bullshit reason?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've been listening to the first series of The Fourth Doctor Adventures and really like it so far. "The Wrath of the Iceni" is extremely good. The rest are fine so far, but that one stands out. Tom sounds like he's having a lot of fun in all of them too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Doctor didn't have the means to break all the laws of time and space with Donna and Amy in the same way he did with Clara. It's like saying "Oh so he can clone himself in the series 4 finale but not in the series 2 one what bullshit"

When River died he said "time can be rewritten" and she specifically said she didn't want him to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really compare Donna and the Ponds (don't forget Rory, damnit!) to Clara because I kind of accept that the 11th Doctor and the 12th Doctor are different people. Or at least different versions of the same person. 12 is willing to do things that 11 isn't.

Or are we talking about whatever 11 did to save Clara with all the Impossible Girl stuff and not the time 12 saved Clara from dying? I admit everything in the Clara period is kind of a blur to me which is why I'm considering a rewatch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I've been listening to the first series of The Fourth Doctor Adventures and really like it so far. "The Wrath of the Iceni" is extremely good. The rest are fine so far, but that one stands out. Tom sounds like he's having a lot of fun in all of them too.

It's funny, I found most of the actual stories slightly underwhelming but overall I really enjoyed the first season as a whole, purely based on the chemistry between Tom and Louise, and the actual proper development of the Doctor/Leela education subplot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I decided to finish up CLASS and uh, this was a terrible idea.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Anyone is this thread could have told you that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Anyone is this thread could have told you that.

You should have popped back and warned me!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, how about this for season 7? We get the Victorian Clara as planned originally for the first half, she dies saving the Doctor, then he meets modern Clara for the second half of the season as was.

Claras of the Week with the Doctor meeting a different one in different parts of time and space that always die at the end of every episode for like half a season before meeting the real one the way he did would have made the "impossible girl" thing more impossible and made more sense why the mystery of her bugged the Doctor so much at least even if it didn't really develop Clara proper any better than we already got

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Two dead Claras and a third alive one is already plenty impossible

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It's not even as good as Torchwood

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Would the show be good to watch in a group, with booze, and riff on?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's better suited for reaction videos.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Time for your semi-regular reminder that this loving ruled, does rule, and always will rule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e71KWwE5Fk

"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!" :hellyeah:

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
50's diner TARDIS was just poo poo, imho.

And has a companion been as hosed-over as Bill was? Lovely, interesting character who i just started to like then BAM, runs off with a watery tart after the body horror of being turned into a cyberman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Would the show be good to watch in a group, with booze, and riff on?

Watching this show in a group might incite a riot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The funniest part of Class is how it ends with the Angels coming back for some reason

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Watching this show in a group might incite a riot.

Eegh. I have some friends who are planning a double feature "watch something actually horribly bad/something enjoyably bad" and riff on it together for the summer months, but there's stuff that's riffable and there's stuff that makes everybody just want to murder someone. I think Doctor Who covers the whole spectrum :v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SpeakSlow posted:

50's diner TARDIS was just poo poo, imho.

And has a companion been as hosed-over as Bill was? Lovely, interesting character who i just started to like then BAM, runs off with a watery tart after the body horror of being turned into a cyberman.

Katarina got kidnapped from a bronze age civilization, thought she was getting punished by the gods, and then unceremoniously blasted out an airlock. She didn't even survive one complete story.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bicyclops posted:

Eegh. I have some friends who are planning a double feature "watch something actually horribly bad/something enjoyably bad" and riff on it together for the summer months, but there's stuff that's riffable and there's stuff that makes everybody just want to murder someone. I think Doctor Who covers the whole spectrum :v:

in my experience DW is mostly in the latter category

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

2house2fly posted:

Two dead Claras and a third alive one is already plenty impossible

No spoilers for "Clara and the Chronovore Conundrum!" :mad:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow Sleep No More wasn't very good. It a neat idea to do a found footage episode, but they kinda forget that is happening at times. And the ending is just "eh place blows up let just leave" with twice dead guy revealing he made the tape evil before melting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I've seen people heap praise on series 9 in some corners of the net and I don't get it at all. By the time the zygon episodes came around I was relieved at how politically iffy they were because Christ at least there was something about them that was interesting.

• Locked thread