Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Turns out the item stash was guarded by 4 mechanoids. Problem solved: you don't need food for the return trip if you are dead. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've never had much trouble just using dried fruits and berries for short trips, although I'm a) not sure whether those are from the medieval mod or something and b) not very experienced with larger caravans or longer journeys. I also prefer relatively lush and temperate maps, so I'm always replenishing my foraged foodstuffs year round and can afford to hand people giant sacks of dried whatevers.

I had a lone colonist successfully complete peace talks with some pirates about 6 days away, traveling on foot, through jungle, with nothing but a knife, a medkit, and pockets full of dried berries. He was pretty bummed when he came back with muscle parasites and discovered that his corgi had been mauled by a bear while he was away :(

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
On second thought, you probably could raid a tribal village, kill the inhabitants, butcher them for meat and use that as a convenient resupply along the way.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

On second thought, you probably could raid a tribal village, kill the inhabitants, butcher them for meat and use that as a convenient resupply along the way.

Rimworld: Eat Your Natives

wit
Jul 26, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Turns out the item stash was guarded by 4 mechanoids. Problem solved: you don't need food for the return trip if you are dead. :v:

Kinda makes sense given that the core is an end game requirement. In a shocking twist you were the pemmican all along.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

wit posted:

Kinda makes sense given that the core is an end game requirement. In a shocking twist you were the pemmican all along.

So what equipment should I shoot for to tackle this kind of threat? I had body armor, assault rifles and simple helmets, all of superior of better quality, but they clowned on me with surprising ease. I am not in ironman so I reloaded and want to try again as soon as I can, just unlocked charge rifles and power armor but have still to build them

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Mechs are a major threat, you will need skilled pawns in power armour with good weapons and proper tactics to win with even numbers. As a general rule you want to rush scythers and bog them down in melee combat asap. Although they have good melee stats they aren't all that durable and will go down quick enough, whilst if you get in a shootout with them someone is going to get their liver or heart burnt out. Centipedes are best dealt with by kiting with sniper rifles, making sure to fight dispersed and in good cover since they often have aoe weapons.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I have no idea why this keeps coming up, but NO, you do NOT want to attack scythers in melee! They have the highest potential melee dps of any creature in the game! Stop telling people this! Their ranged DPS is sad in comparison, especially at long range. As always, ideally use a turret, but a wall with a sandbag (easily made from wood and mined or loose steel if need be) will give you tons of protection against them while you saturate the area with rifle fire.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
One dude with EMP grenades is also super useful against mechs.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Centipedes are hilariously weak to massed melee if you can get there safely, though this is generally only feasible in defensive chokepoints because they will absolutely gently caress you up in close range with their guns.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Using the Giddy Up! mod with the caravan add on makes caravaning so much less painful. Stick a group of 6 on horses (another mod) and you just zip across the world.

EMP grenades and good cover (map ruins work pretty well) are near needs for dealing with mechanoids.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Coolguye posted:

I have no idea why this keeps coming up, but NO, you do NOT want to attack scythers in melee! They have the highest potential melee dps of any creature in the game! Stop telling people this! Their ranged DPS is sad in comparison, especially at long range. As always, ideally use a turret, but a wall with a sandbag (easily made from wood and mined or loose steel if need be) will give you tons of protection against them while you saturate the area with rifle fire.

See I always dismissed the advice too, but after one too many burnt out livers I decided to take it and see what happens, and all I can say is it works. Don't ask me why, but it does seem to.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I started this game with the 100% solid desire to not cheat and how caravans work normally is such a clusterfuck I now exclusively instant dev mode travel with caravans.

I also now like to start colonies with one or two "cool" items, like my last one I started with a fertilized Tyrannosaurus Rex egg.

I was pretty sure that since I started the game with it, it would be tame when it hatched.

It wasn't.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

JonathonSpectre posted:

I started this game with the 100% solid desire to not cheat and how caravans work normally is such a clusterfuck I now exclusively instant dev mode travel with caravans.

I also now like to start colonies with one or two "cool" items, like my last one I started with a fertilized Tyrannosaurus Rex egg.

I was pretty sure that since I started the game with it, it would be tame when it hatched.

It wasn't.

How did that go? Did it hatch into a fully grown and capable T-Rex? Did it auto aggro or did you just say “nope” and let it out the front.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pharnakes posted:

See I always dismissed the advice too, but after one too many burnt out livers I decided to take it and see what happens, and all I can say is it works. Don't ask me why, but it does seem to.

This is like saying that blowing on the dice and giving exactly three seconds of shaking in craps guarantees a 7. The numbers are very clear and so are the trail of bleeding bodies from extended trying. Do not engage scythers in melee - period.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Coolguye posted:

This is like saying that blowing on the dice and giving exactly three seconds of shaking in craps guarantees a 7. The numbers are very clear and so are the trail of bleeding bodies from extended trying. Do not engage scythers in melee - period.

hmmm my numbers are v clear and they say don't listen to this guy, he probably plays boring games and all his pawns still have all their useless limbs and most of their organs left

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Oh that fantastic.

Does anyone use fluffy's work tab? I love the idea of it, but it keeps loving me over by replacing my all day priorities with the ones I set for a specific time period. It always seems to take me a while to notice that my builder just seems to be hauling and cutting plants instead of building or cutting more stone blocks. :(:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I see someone finally made a mass grave mod. Can't believe it took so long.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I see someone finally made a mass grave mod. Can't believe it took so long.

That's been around since at least A17.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Ruggan posted:

How did that go? Did it hatch into a fully grown and capable T-Rex? Did it auto aggro or did you just say “nope” and let it out the front.

Well... I built a little wooden building and put the egg in there about a day before it hatched. This is also when I saved my game.

So it hatched and it wasn't tame. It was a juvenile but still pretty bad rear end. So I knew I couldn't really deal with it (we were at shortbow tech) and decided to try and tame it and if it didn't go well I was just going to reload and eat the egg.

Now my tamer was like 18/20 animal handler, so he goes in this little room and well the baby T-Rex BIT HIS loving LEGS OFF. It's got something ridiculous like 0.6% chance to tame, 20+% chance to attack on fail. So poor Thag failed and it bit his legs off and ate him.

So I decided to see what would happen if I just left it alone. Well, after awhile it gets hungry and it beats its way out of the wooden building and goes and attacks a colonist, which leads to a big fight where baby Rex dies amidst a mound of half-devoured colonist corpses.

I reloaded and fed the egg to a cobra.

I think my next game is going to be a T-Rex tribe who starts with 3 rexes and never advances past bows and spears and see how long I can hold out just using my tyrannosaurs as my defenses. I figure the start will be fairly tough because I'll need a lot of meat to feed them, but I'm up for it!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That sounds pretty self-sustaining. Raids are when you need to use the rexes, and raids are when the rexes get fed.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat

bird food bathtub posted:

That sounds pretty self-sustaining. Raids are when you need to use the rexes, and raids are when the rexes get fed.

Yeah, the hard part will be keeping them happy till I start getting raids of 5-6 guys I think. I'm going to start in tropical rainforest (best biome! marsh everywhere! can't build!) so hopefully I'll have some big capybara herds to keep them occupied for a month or two until I can get my feet under me. I love the idea of getting to send a half-dozen adult rexes at a bunch of dudes with pistols and rifles. Quick! Shoot them in the armored hide!

I just got done dealing with a manhunter spinosaurus pack in my Three Horns game and my goodness, was that ever fun. 40 feet tall? Check. Teeth like daggers? Check. IED-proof bellies?

Wait, what was that last one?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

JonathonSpectre posted:

Yeah, the hard part will be keeping them happy till I start getting raids of 5-6 guys I think.
Rexes can eat meals, including simple ones. You can feed them cooked rice.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm picturing a T-Rex poking gingerly at a bowl of rice with chopsticks, thank you very much for that mental image

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm picturing a T-Rex poking gingerly at a bowl of rice with chopsticks, thank you very much for that mental image

with REEEEEEEALY big chopsticks lol

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Danaru posted:

Caravan chat makes me more and more sad that the dropships mod never updated to A18 :smith: Caravans are enough of a pain normally that I just don't bother.

It did, just not officially. I've been using it for a couple weeks / month. You have to hit it just right but you can work around the quirks.

One person loads, no more. (Preferably someone with bionic legs for the speed bonus)
Manually add everyone else once the cargo is on board. (Click pawn, right click ship, enter ship command)
Never fill the tank to 100%
Don't put prisoners, patients or animals in the plane.

And I find that works well enough for me. Still better than caravanning.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Or just use this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1169411104&searchtext=pod

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This talk of self-sustaining T-Rexes reminded me of something from a previous game. Do cats no longer hunt for themselves when they're hungry? I had a cat that was constantly starving because I forbid it from going into my freezer since it was eating my meals. I know in A17 and earlier I always just left my cats alone and they would go hunt down various small animals. And before anyone asks: yes the entire rest of the map was allowed, and yes there were various small critters around the map that I know they would hunt before.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Some cats are indoor cats, and some cats are outdoor cats? :shrug:

I dunno, that might be emergent behavior. Pretty cool if so.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

A Moose posted:

with REEEEEEEALY big chopsticks lol

Normal size bowl and chopsticks to account for tiny arms.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

The Shortest Path posted:

Decided to be insane and do the one colonist start on sea ice, on Randy with the hardest difficulty. About a season in, one of the caravans that didn't hate my guts yet had a psychotic person that the faction didn't like, so I grabbed her and the two of them have been barely eking out an existence in the middle of a cold, toxic hell.

Almost immediately after finishing the smelter research and being worried about getting enough steel to make one so I could process all the slag lying around, Randy blesses me with a gift from the sky:

:shepface:

Always wanted to do a sea ice start without cheating using prepare carefully, but never have tried... I feel like there just aren’t enough resources for you to build an adequate shelter + the production benches, let alone to actually make stuff with those benches you can sell to get the resources you need to barely eek an existence out.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Normal size bowl and chopsticks to account for tiny arms.

Well if you give it normal sized chopsticks how is it going to get the rice to it's mouth genius?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Always wanted to do a sea ice start without cheating using prepare carefully, but never have tried... I feel like there just aren’t enough resources for you to build an adequate shelter + the production benches, let alone to actually make stuff with those benches you can sell to get the resources you need to barely eek an existence out.

Use your starting resources for the shelter and benches. Steel for the walls, power, kitchen, and concrete floors, silver for the door, butcher table, and research bench, and wood for the bed, table, stool, and a plant pot.

Your starting character needs to have cannibal and 6 construction, which isn't too hard to reroll into.

It's a hard grind and can get boring for long periods between raids, but it's a really nice challenge if you're looking for something new. Just don't make the mistake of harvesting organs early on, because that draws large raids which you won't be able to do poo poo about.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I downloaded the Minions mod for shits and giggles, and started a lone explorer run with 6 minions (3 breeding pairs)

they're all like 6000 years old and have supercancer and bad hearts and hosed backs

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
this would be genuinely kind of sad and depressing if it wasn't loving hilarious

e: but it's also kind of keeping me from actually testing this mod this run because they're all utterly useless and about to keel over so I think I'm gonna regenerate them with the debug "restore body part" command

e2: holy gently caress these things are amazing in rimworld

if you want to completely trivialize the problem of having "no dumb labor" colonists, get some minions, they're basically dumb little labor engines that also nuzzle your pawns

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 12, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Breeding pairs ?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Hey, what's the best set up for cover right now? I'm leaning towards:

code:
SSSSS
SDDDS
S   S
Where S is sandbags and D is open stone doors.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

euphronius posted:

Breeding pairs ?

the Minion mod treats them like pretty much any other animal, except they're an animal that can do dumb labor for you, barely needs to eat, loves you for enslaving it, and breeds in loving huge litters (I got 13 loving baby minions out of those 3 pairs, which will all grow to adulthood in a year and then mate with each other and explode again)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
things you will not see in the Despicable Me movies, #61,341,574,421,254: a baby minion being shredded to death and eaten by a fox in sprays of gore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's a little weird I have to say.