Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Don't these take forever to heal properly?

If there were any doubt the Sabres would be sellers at the deadline, it's erased now. O'reilly, Kane and Ristolainen are gone I bet. Fallin' for Dahlin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the same injury he had last year and he missed 21 games that season (not sure if they were all that same injury though.)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

High ankle sprains blow. I think most athletes agree it’s probably just better to break your ankle.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Right so I just looked up the standings and feel silly, I though Buffalo was set to pick like, #5 or 6, apparently they're #2 already, although I can still see them offering up Kane and O'Reilly to cut salary and acquire further picks

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They'll probably trade Kane but O'Reilly is a stretch and there's no chance at all they will trade Risto. I hope they get rid of Lehner though I seriously hate that guy. He's easy to trick and not very athletic; when he gets out of position he always has trouble getting back and gives up tons of goals that way. He's mediocre at best and the Sabres need to fix their dismal defense and goaltending situation if they ever want to actually compete.

Edit: I'm supper bummed about Eichel's ankle sprain. Once he got going this season he was just unreal. And I've been actually watching their games lately too, now they're gonna be way less fun.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 11, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bizarre deformity posted:

They'll probably trade Kane but O'Reilly is a stretch and there's no chance at all they will trade Risto. I hope they get rid of Lehner though I seriously hate that guy. He's easy to trick and not very athletic; when he gets out of position he always has trouble getting back and gives up tons of goals that way. He's mediocre at best and the Sabres need to fix their dismal defense and goaltending situation if they ever want to actually compete.

I don't understand keeping Lehner at all. Then again it's not like they have any goaltending prospects I'm aware of.

You're probably right about Risto, but apparently people have been sniffing around for Gorges. I guess if you've got cap space or bad D he'd be an upgrade but it seems like a less than stellar move. I could see Pominville being gone. Why do you think O'Reilly stays? Relative youth and decent production?

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Montreal didn't deserve PK

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't understand keeping Lehner at all. Then again it's not like they have any goaltending prospects I'm aware of.

You're probably right about Risto, but apparently people have been sniffing around for Gorges. I guess if you've got cap space or bad D he'd be an upgrade but it seems like a less than stellar move. I could see Pominville being gone. Why do you think O'Reilly stays? Relative youth and decent production?

O'Reilly has great chemistry with the other players, is pretty consistent with his production, and is their best face off guy. I consider him part of the core of the team and would be shocked if they decided to ditch him, unless the return were stellar.

I've never thought Gorges was very good and recently I've noticed his mistakes a lot more often. Pominville is a cool dude but he isn't worth anything so I doubt anyone is going to go through the trouble of trying to get him specifically. Plus the team made a big deal about bringing him back and Buffalo loves him. I guess they could throw him in as a second piece in a trade but again I doubt that would appeal to anyone.

Linus Ulmark is in goal for the Amerks and he has been pretty good when they have called him up. I think he is gonna be good once he has enough experience. That's it for goalies though. Idk maybe if the Sabres dump Lehner and play Ulmark full time and then get Casey Mittelstadt and Brendan Guhle up full time they might be better next season???

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bizarre deformity posted:

O'Reilly has great chemistry with the other players, is pretty consistent with his production, and is their best face off guy. I consider him part of the core of the team and would be shocked if they decided to ditch him, unless the return were stellar.

I've never thought Gorges was very good and recently I've noticed his mistakes a lot more often. Pominville is a cool dude but he isn't worth anything so I doubt anyone is going to go through the trouble of trying to get him specifically. Plus the team made a big deal about bringing him back and Buffalo loves him. I guess they could throw him in as a second piece in a trade but again I doubt that would appeal to anyone.

Linus Ulmark is in goal for the Amerks and he has been pretty good when they have called him up. I think he is gonna be good once he has enough experience. That's it for goalies though. Idk maybe if the Sabres dump Lehner and play Ulmark full time and then get Casey Mittelstadt and Brendan Guhle up full time they might be better next season???

What are they looking at for cap space? Let's operate assuming they're able to unload Kane for picks and ELC's. Although I'd imagine Buffalo isn't a huge UFA destination...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What are they looking at for cap space? Let's operate assuming they're able to unload Kane for picks and ELC's. Although I'd imagine Buffalo isn't a huge UFA destination...

They're offloading some stuff after this season but Eichel's $10m/yr deal starts next season.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Buffalo would have to be pants on head stupid to trade Risto

Like the habs wouldn't dare trade Sub.....oh

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Don't these take forever to heal properly?

If there were any doubt the Sabres would be sellers at the deadline, it's erased now. O'reilly, Kane and Ristolainen are gone I bet. Fallin' for Dahlin!

When Crosby had his in 07-8 it took 3-4 months iirc

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/962761142866124800

so on the one hand Boeser is back in (rushed?)

on the other our defense is tanev-less again, and they called up Goldobin but aren't playing him for... some reason

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Word going around is the Sharks and Pens are interested in Cathorse.

I would be very conflicted to seeing him on either team.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got a high ankle sprain in June of last year from a skiing accident, and it's still not fully healed properly.

Granted I also only took like 7 weeks off before going straight back into skiing, but still. They suck loving balls.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JawKnee posted:

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/962761142866124800

so on the one hand Boeser is back in (rushed?)

on the other our defense is tanev-less again, and they called up Goldobin but aren't playing him for... some reason

I would hope that he isn't rushing himself to get back into the Calder race because he's going to have hit like 40 goals and Barzal's going to have to go really cold for him to get back into it.
It pretty much always goes point total > goals unless they toss it to a defenseman or goalie (which may as well be a curse going by the past 20 years)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently the Flames are interested in both Patches and Grabner. Burke's made it clear they're not giving up picks though since so much of their draft is hamstrung by the Hamonic trade, so my guess is they're giving up Backlund plus whatever prospects people are interested in, hopefully we get to keep one of either Gillies and Valimaki

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

yellowcar posted:

Word going around is the Sharks and Pens are interested in Cathorse.

I would be very conflicted to seeing him on either team.

Cathorse would be nice value add since I'm assuming he won't cost an arm and a leg. I'd rather have him than Letestu who I assume is the other Pens target.

e: Pretty happy with 3 of 4 points vs Dallas/STL on the road. That's a tough road swing.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 12, 2018

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Goldblum's gonna trade Patches and Pleks for a bucket of pucks, won't he? :sigh:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Caps got shelled by the loving Red Wings in the second period before score effects’ing their way into an OT loss.

This is a one and done playoff team and I’m guessing the Penguins are going to catch them for the division as well. I know it seems weird to be complaining about a division leading team but their underlying play sucks for such a talented team and it’s abundantly clear that they have no shot against the Penguins, Lightning, or the Bruins.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Caps got shelled by the loving Red Wings in the second period before score effects’ing their way into an OT loss.

This is a one and done playoff team and I’m guessing the Penguins are going to catch them for the division as well. I know it seems weird to be complaining about a division leading team but their underlying play sucks for such a talented team.

It's bizarre to see. They went from 4th last year in CF to currently 23rd. Did Trotz change the system or something? I know they lost some depth but that's a severe drop.

Oddly enough for all the talk of fatigue the Pens have been a dominant possession team this year. Currently 6th. Still going to be hard to catch the Caps if they don't start winning on the road a little more though. They're a dominant home team but have somewhat struggled away from Pittsburgh this year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJ potted six on 51 shots last night and I still don't know what to think of this team or what they'll do at the deadline. It's almost like the dilemma OSU had in college football this year: as a fan, do you hope to get in the playoffs to feel good about it and risk getting flattened in the first round or do you hope to miss and take a chance at the lottery?

The difference in the analogies is there's no consolation game the CBJ could play as OSU did and won.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Jesus christ, Dallas

edit:

quote:

07:48 Vancouver Erik Gudbranson (2) ASST: Darren Archibald (1), Brandon Sutter (9) 6-0

Jesus poo poo-loving goddamn christ, Dallas

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

It's bizarre to see. They went from 4th last year in CF to currently 23rd. Did Trotz change the system or something? I know they lost some depth but that's a severe drop.

Oddly enough for all the talk of fatigue the Pens have been a dominant possession team this year. Currently 6th. Still going to be hard to catch the Caps if they don't start winning on the road a little more though. They're a dominant home team but have somewhat struggled away from Pittsburgh this year.

They play a weird man to man defense at 5v5 which I thought most teams reserve for 4v4 and 3v3 play and I don’t really recall them chasing so much in the defensive zone last year. I thought most teams play a zone-ish defense at 5v5 but I’m honestly not very well-versed in hockey Xs and Os.

Orpik stinks and is getting way too many minutes. But that doesn’t fully explain it either because Alzner stunk last season and they were still able to cope. Losing Schmidt hurts but it shouldn’t hurt that much.

I dunno I feel like Trotz has lost the room even though they are still winning for the most part. They make a few neat individual plays but they aren’t cohesive at all, especially defensively. They don’t look motivated and their breakouts stink. And Trotz’s only response is to treat his young players like children and bench Burakovsky or Vrana, or throw his lines into a blender. Djoos should be getting top 4 minutes over Orpik at the very least bit Trotz just can’t get away from ol’ Brooksie. Again, that won’t solve everything but the fact that he can’t limit Orpik’s minutes despite the team getting caved in while he’s on the ice shows that he really doesn’t have a pulse on the game.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 12, 2018

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Suspicious posted:

Goldblum's gonna trade Patches and Pleks for a bucket of pucks, won't he? :sigh:

Well tbf Pleks if pretty much worth a bucket of pucks at this point

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

They play a weird man to man defense at 5v5 which I thought most teams reserve for 4v4 and 3v3 play and I don’t really recall them chasing so much in the defensive zone last year. I thought most teams play a zone-ish defense at 5v5 but I’m honestly not very well-versed in hockey Xs and Os.

Orpik stinks and is getting way too many minutes. But that doesn’t fully explain it either because Alzner stunk last season and they were still able to cope. Losing Schmidt hurts but it shouldn’t hurt that much.

I dunno I feel like Trotz has lost the room even though they are still winning for the most part. They make a few neat individual plays but they aren’t cohesive at all, especially defensively. They don’t look motivated and their breakouts stink. And Trotz’s only response is to treat his young players like children and bench Burakovsky or Vrana, or throw his lines into a blender. Djoos should be getting top 4 minutes over Orpik at the very least bit Trotz just can’t get away from ol’ Brooksie. Again, that won’t solve everything but the fact that he can’t limit Orpik’s minutes despite the team getting caved in while he’s on the ice shows that he really doesn’t have a pulse on the game.

I haven't watched them enough to dissect if their system is different tbh. Maybe they relied more on Schmidt than they thought? He was the Caps dman who impressed me most in their series vs Pittsburgh. He was so dominant at holding the line and keeping a possession game going. I was surprised they'd let him go over Grubauer.

e: I gotta say I've been super happy with Sheahan. He's been putting up reasonable point totals for the Pens and does well despite getting fed a poo poo ton of d- zone starts. I expected less than nothing after his season last year but he's been such a good add.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 12, 2018

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Cathorse would be nice value add since I'm assuming he won't cost an arm and a leg. I'd rather have him than Letestu who I assume is the other Pens target.

e: Pretty happy with 3 of 4 points vs Dallas/STL on the road. That's a tough road swing.

Bergevin would probably happily take Reaves.

At most, Cathorse would cost a 3rd rounder considering he just a rental. And old. And can only do defensive starts.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

CBJ potted six on 51 shots last night and I still don't know what to think of this team or what they'll do at the deadline. It's almost like the dilemma OSU had in college football this year: as a fan, do you hope to get in the playoffs to feel good about it and risk getting flattened in the first round or do you hope to miss and take a chance at the lottery?

The difference in the analogies is there's no consolation game the CBJ could play as OSU did and won.

I think it depends on the type of players they have. If they're a mix of vets and young guns, or just young guns you probably want for the playoffs. If they're an older team, it makes more sense to want a better draft pick. I think generally most org want to make the playoffs no matter what. It's a fresh start in a way and anything can happen if a team gets hot. It's interesting to see what NYR are doing even though they're pretty much in the hunt still. I think that's an exception though.

stab posted:

Well tbf Pleks if pretty much worth a bucket of pucks at this point

The way a couple of Habs fans talk about him to me, same for Patches.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

DuhSal posted:

The way a couple of Habs fans talk about him to me, same for Patches.

P much. Every GM must tripping over themselves to rip off Bergevin right now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

Is AV secretly coaching the Caps

Seriously I thought they were the only ones playing a kind of man on man D

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/962856324609511424

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yellowcar posted:

P much. Every GM must tripping over themselves to rip off Bergevin right now.

you mean they haven't since the Subban trade?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Only one game after already getting fined for boarding Schultz earlier this year?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

iospace posted:

you mean they haven't since the Subban trade?

i meant wrt patch

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Trotz system sucks. Orpik sucks. Ice time distribution and assignments suck. Ovechkin and Holtby do not suck.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Schneider out at least another week. I wouldn't be surprised if the Devils were out of the playoffs by the time he comes back.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
fire av... and replace him with someone who wont ruin the tank until the end of the season

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

a false posted:

fire av... and replace him with someone who wont ruin the tank until the end of the season

Scott Arniel won 11 of 41 games last time out as a head coach...

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The Devils haven’t gotten a save in two months, and when they do they can’t get out of their own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BroadStHockey/status/962896074049507328

E: I see how Vegas has had the year they have though. Good lord do they forecheck a ton

• Locked thread