Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Tonight we watched the Season 1 finale and Season 2 premiere of Banshee. Holy poo poo, so good. Loved deus ex Kai in the beginning, the posse going to rescue Hood , Brock's face turn, the crazy gun battle that ensued, and especially Brock shooting the bazooka guy dead-on in the head, only to have him turn and shoot the other henchman with the bazooka! I whooped out loud for that one. The phone call Kai and Rebecca made at the end was crazy too. Definitely didn't expect that!

And then... Zeljko Ivanek, looking like death! I always like him, especially as an antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Tonight we watched the Season 1 finale and Season 2 premiere of Banshee. Holy poo poo, so good. Loved deus ex Kai in the beginning, the posse going to rescue Hood , Brock's face turn, the crazy gun battle that ensued, and especially Brock shooting the bazooka guy dead-on in the head, only to have him turn and shoot the other henchman with the bazooka! I whooped out loud for that one. The phone call Kai and Rebecca made at the end was crazy too. Definitely didn't expect that!

And then... Zeljko Ivanek, looking like death! I always like him, especially as an antagonist.

What about Anna getting her silent assassin rating for that mission. Totes hot.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

What about Anna getting her silent assassin rating for that mission. Totes hot.
Not as surprising as the other parts I noted, but still awesome. I love this show so far, and I hate that Amazon Prime only has the first two seasons available. I may have to get a Skinemax subscription for a month (or a week, if possible) to binge-watch the rest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:stare:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Not as surprising as the other parts I noted, but still awesome. I love this show so far, and I hate that Amazon Prime only has the first two seasons available. I may have to get a Skinemax subscription for a month (or a week, if possible) to binge-watch the rest.

The ongoing bromance/frenemies thing between Brock and Hood is amazing,

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

gently caress that's amazing.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

whowhatwhere posted:

gently caress that's amazing.

Did you ever watch Porkin Across America or Sex House?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It looks like a Tim and Eric sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT3iviHrhUI

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Superrodan posted:

Did you ever watch Porkin Across America or Sex House?

Watched Porkin, never really got into Sex House.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
https://twitter.com/aodespair/status/962104269385191424

Edit: Just saw someone posted about his death on the previous page. I’ll leave it since it is worth reading what Simon said.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 10, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Rocksicles posted:

Hell yeah. I just started season 3 and am just loving Brock's facial hair upgrade! :3:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of both Banshee and Reg E Cathay, the show did a lot of additional online exclusive content over the years. Including this, for season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCAxRcG01sc

It's not mindblowing or anything, but it's a well put together scene and a nice example of how Cathay could liven up a part.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

My first thoughts about them in Season 1 were "Oh poo poo, Brock is going to sell out Hood to Proctor, be Proctor's inside man, or literally stab him in the back," and "Hood is kind of a huge dick to Brock unnecessarily, and it would be better to have allies he can count on to have his back." Then I thought Brock might actually get killed for the selfless decision he made in the Season 1 finale, but then he got thrown under the bus by Racine instead, which might lead to even more bitterness and betrayal. But I love it when former antagonists have that "We're not so different, you and I" bonding moment and team up against common threats.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Banshee season 4: Really? loving satanists?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Popelmon posted:

Banshee season 4: Really? loving satanists?

Welcome to the point where this show tumbles straight off a cliff, go watch Spartacus or Strike Back or Punisher if you need your "grizzled rear end in a top hat beating people up" fix instead of powering through that bullshit

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Welcome to the point where this show tumbles straight off a cliff, go watch Spartacus or Strike Back or Punisher if you need your "grizzled rear end in a top hat beating people up" fix instead of powering through that bullshit

No, power through, the last episode is good, I swear.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

No, power through, the last episode is good, I swear.

This is cruel

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need a new show to watch and it’s between The Orville or The Expanse. I know they’re pretty different but what’s a more captivating watch?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

I need a new show to watch and it’s between The Orville or The Expanse. I know they’re pretty different but what’s a more captivating watch?
The Expanse is the best sci-fi show on TV.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

They are both exactly equally well worth your time. The only question here, which only you can answer, is would you prefer to binge the more lighthhearted one first or the more serious one?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good question. That’s where I’m so undecided. I want something to scratch that BSG itch though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Good question. That’s where I’m so undecided. I want something to scratch that BSG itch though.

Then the expanse, for sure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The Expanse is the best sci-fi show on TV.

I've only watched season 1, but I'd caution anyone unfamiliar with the sho to take the glowing goon recommendation with a grain of salt. The show is great if you love what its doing, but its characters are just bland bland bland. I had to stop because I just didn't give a poo poo about any of the personality-less folks involved. But outside of that it was pretty great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The main character is bland as all hell, but everyone else is great.

I’d also advise against reading the TVIV thread for the show. They’re pretty careless with spoilers from the books and there’s a lot of loud, negative, hard to please posters who were pissed that a season 2 character wasn’t a 1:1 adaptation of their book counterpart.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can’t be any worse than the magicians thread

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

:confused: The Magicians thread is mostly talking about how they like the show? The most book complaining people do is wanting more Josh.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume the op is talking about book spoilers. I've never read the books and follow the thread and stuff does come out from time to time but I never really felt like anything was being ruined for me. Or at least I haven't since S1. Since then then the general sentiment from the book readers seems to be "the show is doing its own thing" and you just get occasional careless mentions of character or subplot stuff that didn't happen the first time around.

But in general you should just avoid threads about genre shows adapted from other sources. Goons don't generally understand the concept of spoilers.*

*Cue someone posting that study saying spoilers don't matter.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

I assume the op is talking about book spoilers. I've never read the books and follow the thread and stuff does come out from time to time but I never really felt like anything was being ruined for me. Or at least I haven't since S1. Since then then the general sentiment from the book readers seems to be "the show is doing its own thing" and you just get occasional careless mentions of character or subplot stuff that didn't happen the first time around.

But in general you should just avoid threads about genre shows adapted from other sources. Goons don't generally understand the concept of spoilers.*

*Cue someone posting that study saying spoilers don't matter.

A study showing that people reading fiction over a century old benefit from being told the historical value and importance of the thing they're reading being interpreted as "spoilers are actually good" is the worst piece of TV-related pop science this side of the article using one anecdote from one cop to argue that Star Trek fans are pedophiles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Can’t be any worse than the magicians thread

The Magicians thread is awesome, we're currently shipping the lead characters and it's not creepy at all.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Alright, done with Banshee. I still kinda liked S4, the serial killer stuff was stupid beyond description. What the gently caress were they thinking?

I did like most of the rest. The nazi power struggle and Bunker's arc were a bit rushed they still worked. Took a bit too long to bring Job back. The last episode was a great ending for the show. Not too sure how I feel about Rebecca's killer but the rest worked really well. Kinda glad that Anna and Hood never really got back together , I think a lesser show would have hosed up that relationship.

Anyway, Banshee is a fantastic show. I wouldn't even call it a guilty please, it's just straight up great TV.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 12, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't give two shits about world-building nowadays so I turned off the Expanse after the first episode. The Orville is basically just Seth McFarlane telling stories in the style of TOS/TNG with a little bit of his humor mixed in. It's such a warm hug of familiarity for anyone who grew up with early Trek.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AHHH! Lots of Banshee spoilers while I'm doing my catch up watch inspired by the same poster! Curses, irony!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
And I'm just in Season 2 of Banshee so far, so I'm hoping to avoid spoilers too.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Sorry! Added more spoiler tags.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

hope and vaseline posted:

I don't give two shits about world-building nowadays so I turned off the Expanse after the first episode. The Orville is basically just Seth McFarlane telling stories in the style of TOS/TNG with a little bit of his humor mixed in. It's such a warm hug of familiarity for anyone who grew up with early Trek.

It’s literally bits of TNG plots scrapbooked together. It’s fine, but it’s the tv equivalent of eating leftovers for dinner.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Expanse is excellent and really timely about issues like income inequality. The lead actor is a slog but everything else makes up for him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Orville is basically a shittier offbrand version of something from your childhood. It's familiar(pretty sure every episode is just a ripoff homage of a TOS/TNG one), but they used way worse ingredients.

The Expanse is excellent.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Catching up, season 2 of Chance so far is even better than the first was. House broke bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you're gonna watch the Orville just watch TNG reruns and then pause it to make a ball joke every couple minutes.