Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really wish Orville had been a derivative riff on the original Trek rather than TNG. A weekly dose of two-fisted space bravado would be way more enjoyable if they're not going to do anything new with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

feedmyleg posted:

I really wish Orville had been a derivative riff on the original Trek rather than TNG. A weekly dose of two-fisted space bravado would be way more enjoyable if they're not going to do anything new with it.

That’s called galaxy quest

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Imposters S1 is now on Netflix. Watch it. One of my favorite shows last year. I also assume that means S2 is gonna drop soon, which makes me happy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

STAC Goat posted:

Imposters S1 is now on Netflix. Watch it. One of my favorite shows last year. I also assume that means S2 is gonna drop soon, which makes me happy.

What was that on?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bravo, so I assume everyone missed it like I almost did because I didn't even know Bravo made shows.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Okay. At first I thought it was Canadian because of Aaron Douglas, but noticed it wasn't taking place in Canada.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

That’s called galaxy quest

I really hope the Amazon show keeps that aspect alive.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

If you're gonna watch the Orville just watch TNG reruns and then pause it to make a ball joke every couple minutes.

That's not entirely accurate, you have to also imagine that there's a rapey goo alien on board as well.

Seriously though ignore this, The Orville is good and the best Star Trek since... Galaxy Quest came out.

Why are the comedy writers so much better at Trek than everyone else?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

If you're gonna watch the Orville just watch TNG reruns and then pause it to make a ball joke every couple minutes.

I always wonder if people who say stuff like this actually watched the show past the pilot and were really bad at it or are just playing a game of telephone because outside of like one ejaculation joke in the opening of the pilot all the humor is character driven rather than pee pee doo doo balls like goons say it is. And even when it does occasionally dip its toes into pop culture jokes they're usually either in service of the plot and characters (their Worf analog Bortus being inspired to defend his 'deformed' child by Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer) or subtle meta stuff (the god of the evil alien race being named Avis, which in real life is a car rental company whose biggest competitor is a company named Enterprise) rather than Family Guy cutaways like everyone who thinks the title is a reference to Orville Redenbacher rather than Orville Wright assumes it is.

Also the accusations of the plots being derivative aren't really fair because TNG itself was largely the same few themes and plots played over and over again in different permutations. The Orville may touch on a lot of the same things but even it its first season (which is when even fans will admit TNG was borderline unwatchable) has managed to put new or interesting spins on a lot of those stock plots and the relationship between the characters and their world not having a stick up its rear end like Trek makes even the repeats at least feel fresh and, to me at least, a lot more enjoyable. It even managed to have a holodeck episode that was surprising, had real stakes, and had the entire thing functioning perfectly the entire time!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lelandjs posted:

Because the original series was already a very funny show that had a good amount of self awareness. When Trek takes itself too seriously it's not any good, but if you parody it you're laughing with it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I gave it a few. I thought it was too boring.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

I gave it a few. I thought it was too boring.

It does have that signature Star Trek pacing, and I totally get why that might be an issue for some.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why is it loving impossible to watch the Olympic opening ceremony anywhere. gently caress you NBC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

lelandjs posted:

Because Star Trek is a joke.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jake Weber does the best drat spoof of Alex Jones ever put to film on last season and this season of Homeland.

Especially for a soft spoken English dude.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoyed it a lot, but if you're married to casting an Israeli actress with a shaky accent, don't make her background Pennsylvania farming country.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/11/martin-scorsese-romans-tv-series-caesars-british-writer-michael-hirst

Martin Scorsese and the Vikings guy are making a show about Rome.

quote:

The Caesars will tell the story of the early rulers of ancient Rome, beginning with the rise to power of Julius Caesar. The pilot has been written, plus the outline for the rest of the season. The plan is to create a television drama, several seasons long. Filming is expected to begin next year in Italy.

quote:

"The Caesars aims to give a new insight into the young Julius Caesar: “In the movies he’s usually a middle-aged guy, struggling with political complexities. But he was fantastically interesting and ambitious when he was younger. A lot of the Caesars came to power when they were young, and we’ve never really seen that on screen. It’s the energy, the vitality, the excess of a young culture that’s being driven by young people. There is something astonishing about the rise of a relatively small kingdom to world power within a very short space of time. It couldn’t have been done by tired old politicos and faded warriors.”

I wonder if the sets from HBO's Rome can be re-used?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 12, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like all of Carrie Mathison's problems are Jazz related.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watched that new Alan Ball show that a lot -- a lot -- of reviewers are down on. Dunno, I thought it was fine. The performances are great, it's a really strong ensemble, it doesn't telegraph its humour, and the characterisation is nuanced and detailed. The cast are well observed, if not particularly likeable; though I know the latter point is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Don't see much difference between it and Six Feet Under to be honest, other than replacing the funeral home with a strong, self-critical vein of sanctimony (even the kids aren't immune, they seem to work in aspirational fields). I wonder if this show being so scathing of liberal earnestness is part of the reason behind the poor reviews.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Why is it loving impossible to watch the Olympic opening ceremony anywhere. gently caress you NBC.

I'm finding it hard to watch anything at all. The stream NBC is offering up seems to be an endless loop of those sob story my journey to the olympics fluff pieces. Which I guess it always has been, but I want to see some people go fast on snow.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

I'm finding it hard to watch anything at all. The stream NBC is offering up seems to be an endless loop of those sob story my journey to the olympics fluff pieces. Which I guess it always has been, but I want to see some people go fast on snow.

It feels like this time around they're not even showing that much of it. I remember in years past you at least would get a block in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Now it seems like it's just 8pm on, and by then I've already gotten bored and started watching something else entirely.

I really just want to watch curling and snowboarding :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember NBCs online stuff being pretty good for the summer olympics, but holy crap it's dreadful for these ones. Watching the snowboarding the other night, the second someone would finish their run it would go into (the same) commercial so you'd get no replays or discussion. Seemed to do similar for other sports too. Like, I'd even throw them $ to give me pure feeds with no breaks.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Iron Crowned posted:

It feels like this time around they're not even showing that much of it. I remember in years past you at least would get a block in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Now it seems like it's just 8pm on, and by then I've already gotten bored and started watching something else entirely.

I really just want to watch curling and snowboarding :(

What are you guys talking about. On the NBC app on my Roku I go to replays and watched about 10 hours of curling over the weekend. There's plenty. They do only seem to have 4 ads so they do get really grating. No replays or whatever but just plenty of curling.

Edit: Also RIP my Winegard LNA-200 died I think. Just ordered a new one. Man, having it on the line with no power gives me like maybe 2 channels.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 12, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, my DVR is filled with like 20 hours of NBC Olympic coverage and I've had no problem calling up live events on the NBCSports app and watched a couple of curling matches. The only problem I'm having is the time difference and my general apathy to the winter olympics when its not hockey or curling.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know I'm behind on this, but Brooklyn Nine-nine just came to Danish Netflix and I like it.

The only thing I don't like is the constant will they/won't they with Jake and Amy. I just finished 2x21 and that double hair thing at the end just pissed me right off.

Anyway, while I looked for the episode number on Wikia (lol) I got spoiled on their relationship status right now, so let me let out a big old Meh.

Okay, bye!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It can suck finding out that stuff in advance, but their relationship is great and you don’t have anything to worry about.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It never gets to the level of like Jim and Pam where in dominates the narrative or anything. If anything I think Brooklyn 99 actually kind of neglects the interpersonal relationships (romantic and platonic) with the cast a little bit so they can kind of feel like after thoughts to the "office sitcom". Parks and Rec basically had the perfect balance between the 3 shows.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, cool thanks!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

Watched that new Alan Ball show that a lot -- a lot -- of reviewers are down on. Dunno, I thought it was fine. The performances are great, it's a really strong ensemble, it doesn't telegraph its humour, and the characterisation is nuanced and detailed. The cast are well observed, if not particularly likeable; though I know the latter point is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Don't see much difference between it and Six Feet Under to be honest, other than replacing the funeral home with a strong, self-critical vein of sanctimony (even the kids aren't immune, they seem to work in aspirational fields). I wonder if this show being so scathing of liberal earnestness is part of the reason behind the poor reviews.

I enjoyed it of course, and it does tap that Six Feet Under vein. My only complaint is it is a little heavy handed, but that might be the point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

It never gets to the level of like Jim and Pam where in dominates the narrative

title of your sex tape

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

This is cool but whilst I appreciate that they think there is a different spin on the usual narrative, wasn't the "Ancient Rome as a Superpower" period a really long time? Couldn't they have chosen something that wasn't Caesar?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If I'm reading it right, Julius Caesar is only the first season. Assuming Augustus is also one season, that leaves the rest of the show to others. Also it's Michael Hirst so we know there's going to be supernatural elements or whatever to spice it up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bosch season 4 comes out April 13 and it's already been renewed for a fifth season.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-enyxyb0300

Good to see Brendan Fraiser working

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 13, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good, I love Bosch. So many Wire alums.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just caught up to the first 3 episodes of Waco and holy poo poo Taylor Kitsch is such a good Koresh. Enjoyed the show a lot so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Good, I love Bosch. So many Wire alums.

I dunno how that happens, whether it's the individual actors pushing for their friends or casting directors or what, but you never see just one Wire alum in a show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Digital Jedi posted:

Just caught up to the first 3 episodes of Waco and holy poo poo Taylor Kitsch is such a good Koresh. Enjoyed the show a lot so far.

Yeah it's real good so far, shame nobody seems to be watching it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m DVRing it as it sounds like my kind of jam.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

brylcreem posted:

I know I'm behind on this, but Brooklyn Nine-nine just came to Danish Netflix and I like it.

The only thing I don't like is the constant will they/won't they with Jake and Amy. I just finished 2x21 and that double hair thing at the end just pissed me right off.

Anyway, while I looked for the episode number on Wikia (lol) I got spoiled on their relationship status right now, so let me let out a big old Meh.

Okay, bye!

It's a show I get bored of after watching a couple in a row, but think would prob be good in syndication, seeing the random episode here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I dunno how that happens, whether it's the individual actors pushing for their friends or casting directors or what, but you never see just one Wire alum in a show.

Jessica Jones is the only exception off the top of my head. I was actually disappointed in how little of a role Clarke Peters ended up playing in the show, he's way better than what he was given.