Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Kind of a whine, but I was all set to buy a Subaru crosstrek or forester yesterday, until we test drove a CRV. My wife was sold instantly and the dealer came down $2k off sticker and offered $1k more for my trade even with the hosed up bumper. I think the price would get better at the end of the month. It has way more room in the back seats, almost comparable with my crewmax tundra. Its also got a ton of cargo room, and honda sense was just as good as subaru eyesight.

One problem, my mom drives a CRV, and it feels worse than buying that midlife minivan. I wouldn稚 want to drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It's definitely not as bad as a minivan, and the new ones have a little snail under the hood.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Need a stupidly easy and intuitive video editing software that can be used with mixed video types (GoPro, iPhone, some Chineseium GoPro knockoff). Any recommendations?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

rdb posted:

Kind of a whine, but I was all set to buy a Subaru crosstrek or forester yesterday, until we test drove a CRV. My wife was sold instantly and the dealer came down $2k off sticker and offered $1k more for my trade even with the hosed up bumper. I think the price would get better at the end of the month. It has way more room in the back seats, almost comparable with my crewmax tundra. Its also got a ton of cargo room, and honda sense was just as good as subaru eyesight.

One problem, my mom drives a CRV, and it feels worse than buying that midlife minivan. I wouldn’t want to drive it.
A friend of mine has a current CRV and they really like it, but the Subaru awd system is much better than the Honda system... not sure if that's important to you or not.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tide posted:

Need a stupidly easy and intuitive video editing software that can be used with mixed video types (GoPro, iPhone, some Chineseium GoPro knockoff). Any recommendations?
Most people seem to use a knock-off copy of Adobe Premiere. I have Sony Vegas, and I find it works just fine.

Today has been mostly:
Me: "nice and sunny out, time to do something useful"
Weather: "Yeah, it's actually brass monkeys. Also, lol, have some sleet, because gently caress you"

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

Most people seem to use a knock-off copy of Adobe Premiere. I have Sony Vegas, and I find it works just fine.

I've been messing around with a trial version of it. It's not bad.

Crashes alot thou :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't the honda get double the mpg of the subie, plus the subie will poo poo the bed a lot more often.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elephanthead posted:

Doesn't the honda get double the mpg of the subie, plus the subie will poo poo the bed a lot more often.

Yeah, I'd be much happier with the Honda than the Subaru. Much better mileage, interior and build quality.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The Crosstrek feels surprisingly small when you're driving it, but the suspension is way too floaty for my tastes. Driving on poorly paved roads starts to make me seasick with all of the swaying and bouncing

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The CRV is undoubtedly the better of the two in terms of value per dollar. The interior quality felt about the same to me. The crosstrek is new for 2018 and felt nice over rough surfaces. The CRV felt about the same.

In regards to the AWD system, maybe someone can correct me, I think they are equal? Open differentials all around, and only 40% of the torque can go to the rear wheels. We have all seen the awd fail video of the 2015 CRV, but supposedly they upgraded the pump and clutch for 2017. I can稚 find any roller tests of it. AWD and more space are the motivators behind the purchase so it is important.

Reliability? I don稚 know. They both have cvts and the honda has a turbo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Get the crv but paint it that cool crosstrek blue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think both the Honda and Subaru CVTs have been around long enough to be considered reasonably reliable. The Honda CVT impressed me when I drove it in a rental 2014 Accord.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Cage posted:

Get the crv but paint it that cool crosstrek blue.

Its funny, I知 not allowed to get red of any shade but the bright orange crosstrek was ok.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tide posted:

Windows movie maker? :haw:

Honestly though it does simple stitching and cutting no problem.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Crosstrek just seems like a gimmick to me, almost like Subaru tried to make it look like a jeep implying it's just as capable.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Omfg i just coughed while undoing my seat belt and threw my back out and cant get out of the van

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, guess i live at home depot now

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Briefly acquired a dog today.

Was out the front working on cars (in between bouts of the weather deciding that, yes, sleet is a good idea), and a woman walked past with a dog, who was off his lead and "sort of" walking to heel (i.e. not). She was trying to keep him in line, but I didn't pay much mind, until I turned around 10 minutes later and found said dog investigating my garage.

Woman was nowhere to be seen, so I fashioned a lead from the universal infinite-strength blue poly rope and checked him over for a nametag. Nothing there, so other than asking a couple of passers by if they'd seen anyone looking for a dog, I let him chill with me for a little bit.

Taking a leaf out of the Lassie approach, I closed up shop at home and let him take me for a walk, which amazingly actually worked, and he led about a half mile down the road until he decided to go down a driveway - I knocked on the door, and the woman I saw earlier stuck her head out the window next door, turns out it was her neighbour's dog. Didn't seem massively concerned about him wandering off near a busy A-road though.

This is Bobo:

Put address (or phone number) tags on your loving animals, people.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cakesmith handyman posted:

Windows movie maker? :haw:

Honestly though it does simple stitching and cutting no problem.

No longer available from Microsoft, so if you didn't have it before they pulled it (over a year ago), you ain't getting it now. And it was never available for Windows 10.

"Story Remix" came with the Windows 10 Photos app when the fall creators update was released. It's kinda.. janky, and not very intuitive at all, IMO.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 12, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just was behind a Mirage VR-X on the way home from Wal-Mart with the kids. Can稚 recall knowing about that one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
E/N post incomming.

Last night my only surviving grandparent, my grams collapsed in her apartment from a stroke. nobody knows how long she was laying on the floor but it was for sure longer than 3 hours and apparently thats the time frame where anything can really be done. She also fell in a way that cut off circulation to her kidneys somehow so they are now also failing. MRI showed the right side of her brain completely black with a few black spots on the left side. Basically were at the point where we have to consider taking her off life support. This loving sucks. Anyway needed to share to strangers on the internet.

Love you guys. Go see your grand parents if they are still around and dont avoid them like i did no matter how confused and senile they may be or how annoying it might seem to set their smart phone up or walk them through their email for the 100th time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I lost my grandpa to a stroke several months after it happened and he was in nursing care, I totally empathize with what you are feeling. Still miss him and it's already been 11 years 😥

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Goondolences, Preoptopus. That's a terrible thing to have to deal with. :(

Best wishes to your grams and your family.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My grandfather had two strokes, the first ruined him physically and the second killed him. Always hug your grandparents.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

E/N post incomming.

Last night my only surviving grandparent, my grams collapsed in her apartment from a stroke. nobody knows how long she was laying on the floor but it was for sure longer than 3 hours and apparently thats the time frame where anything can really be done. She also fell in a way that cut off circulation to her kidneys somehow so they are now also failing. MRI showed the right side of her brain completely black with a few black spots on the left side. Basically were at the point where we have to consider taking her off life support. This loving sucks. Anyway needed to share to strangers on the internet.

Love you guys. Go see your grand parents if they are still around and dont avoid them like i did no matter how confused and senile they may be or how annoying it might seem to set their smart phone up or walk them through their email for the 100th time.

Sorry man.

It's a small consolation right now in your grief, but the way it happened, as horrifying as it may be to your family, is not worst case. Don't blame yourself and don't let anyone point fingers about who should have checked on her or any nonsense.

Yes absolutely enjoy your close family, and appreciate it if they can remain independent.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Condolences, Preoptopus. I know how it feels. My granddad had a small stroke one day and no one realized it until he started having a hard time putting words together. They did a full body MRI and it turned out to be cancer from head to toe. He was gone a couple months later.

Hug your grandparents if you still got 'em.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Crosstrek just seems like a gimmick to me, almost like Subaru tried to make it look like a jeep implying it's just as capable.

tbh ALL of those compact SUV crossovers or wtfever they're called are a blatant gimmick and i personally wouldn't ever consider buying one if the intention was long term ownership

the target demographic seems to be the same people that get roof racks and never actually use them but find comfort in the idea that its there

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Goondolances indeed :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Condolences. Resets my perspective on the relatively minor poo poo I dealt with today - some loving Boomer getting so upset about a reserved spot (marked only by some spray paint in an otherwise fully unmarked dirt lot, and literally in the middle of the lot) that she saw fit to slam her door into my Honda, my kid, berate my wife, and threaten me.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Preoptopus posted:

E/N post incomming.

Condolences man. Its hard to watch, I was living with mine at age 15 when my grandfather had a stroke in the middle of the night. He wound up paralyzed on his left side, lived for 3 years afterward and it was a cruel fate. Just remember the good times you had with yours and try to see past the situation.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

InitialDave posted:

Was out the front working on cars (in between bouts of the weather deciding that, yes, sleet is a good idea), and a woman walked past with a dog, who was off his lead and "sort of" walking to heel (i.e. not). She was trying to keep him in line, but I didn't pay much mind, until I turned around 10 minutes later and found said dog investigating my garage.

Woman was nowhere to be seen, so I fashioned a lead from the universal infinite-strength blue poly rope and checked him over for a nametag. Nothing there, so other than asking a couple of passers by if they'd seen anyone looking for a dog, I let him chill with me for a little bit.

Taking a leaf out of the Lassie approach, I closed up shop at home and let him take me for a walk, which amazingly actually worked, and he led about a half mile down the road until he decided to go down a driveway - I knocked on the door, and the woman I saw earlier stuck her head out the window next door, turns out it was her neighbour's dog. Didn't seem massively concerned about him wandering off near a busy A-road though.

This is Bobo:

Youre a good person. I still think about the time 6 years ago when I was working fed-ex in a nice cul-de-sac neighborhood and I saw a dog just wandering around on the street. I wanted to get out and help him but for some reason I didn't and wish I would have.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Condolences. Resets my perspective on the relatively minor poo poo I dealt with today - some loving Boomer getting so upset about a reserved spot (marked only by some spray paint in an otherwise fully unmarked dirt lot, and literally in the middle of the lot) that she saw fit to slam her door into my Honda, my kid, berate my wife, and threaten me.

Same. I've been cussed out, yelled at and generally had a steady string of assholes today. Still, could be worse.

Condolences preoptopus.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Thanks guys. Yall put poo poo into perspective like I knew you would. AI is awesome. On the bright side, she lived a pretty pampered life full of travel, and and adventure. Literally just got back from the cruise of her dreams a month ago where she had a blast. Honestly her biggest stresses were what to wear and who to invite over to dinner parties. So im trying to just focus on that.

Also sorry about your Honda. Thats hosed dude.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

IOwnCalculus posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with Boomers man? I can't imagine getting that worked up over much stuff, much less a loving parking spot

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with Boomers man? I can't imagine getting that worked up over much stuff, much less a loving parking spot

EntitleMEnt, usually.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Work a busy parking lot for a weekend and you'll see just how irrationally pissed people get over parking. Its loving ridiculous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Literally the second thing my wife said - after asking why this person was talking pictures of the car - was an apology and stating that she was loading up and leaving. So yeah, massive entitlement complex.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

InitialDave posted:

This is Bobo:

GF and I almost acquired a cat the same way. Found him wandering around the house a few days in a row. No collar, no info. Could have easily have grabbed him instead of taking down to the vets to check for a chip. Luckily he had one and was returned. Pity, almost kept him. Pretty thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ExplodingSims posted:

maybe the 'greatest generation' wasn't really what they named themselves if they birthed the boomers, the most entitled generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tide posted:

The answer for me is iMovie on my Mac. A few years ago I found myself wanting more from videos after trying the GoPro studio and wanting to mix in other stuff. I also acquired a 4K capable DJI quad at that point and started trying my hand at some DSLR stuff.

A 5k iMac was not the cheapest option but years later I have zero regrets. With some practice I can pop out nice little videos that are good enough for sharing on social media and some decent stuff for work real quick. iMovie is really easy and I値l eventually step into the Adobe suite but my needs are easily met now. Buy one from the refurb store.

• Locked thread